Rams at Colts Postgame Notes (11-10-13)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Iron Lion

Starter
What are you talking about? I never said that waving a punt off is an official signal: I merely pointed out that's what Tavon did. Of course, the ball was still live!, that's why he could pick it up and run with it.

Then I don't know what you mean by players getting lax on the rules.

jap

Legend
Then I don't know what you mean by players getting lax on the rules.

I was discussing the Colts special team players. They are supposed to know what the signal for a fair catch is. What Tavon was doing wasn't it. Yet they relaxed when they should have been alert.

I cited a similar situation in Gale Sayers rookie season when the coverage team relaxed, expecting him to give a late fair catch signal. To their surprise, he fielded the ball and took off with that electric speed & quickness to the tune of some 80 yards.

Iron Lion

Starter
OK. And yeah I agree, they relaxed when they should've been alert and Tavon made a heads up play.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Because the ball was still live. The ball has to be downed before it becomes a dead ball. Players get lax on the rules at times. We saw that today when Tavon waved off his teammates without actually calling for a fair catch. Gale Sayers had a similar play his rookie season where the defenders slowed up, expecting him simply fair catch a deep punt and he surprised them by running it back for an 80-harder jaunt to pay dirt.

yeah, the ball was live but the offense was running onto the field. they had more than 11 players on the field during the play. not sure how the refs allowed it to stand.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Wonder if a Rookie has ever scored two TDs receiving AND one on a return. For that matter - two 50+ yard TDs receiving and a punt return TD.

jap

Legend
Wonder if a Rookie has ever scored two TDs receiving AND one on a return. For that matter - two 50+ yard TDs receiving and a punt return TD.

Gale Sayers scored six TD's as a rookie as his Chicago Bears routed the San Francisco 49ers 61-20. The scores came in a variety of ways that epitomized Sayers' great versatility: a 80-yard screen pass, runs of 21, 7, 50, and 1 yards, and a 85-yard punt return. Sayers went on to score a total of (an NFL record for a rookie) 22 TD's in a 14-game season.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Gale Sayers scored six TD's as a rookie as his Chicago Bears routed the San Francisco 49ers 61-20. The scores came in a variety of ways that epitomized Sayers' great versatility: a 80-yard screen pass, runs of 21, 7, 50, and 1 yards, and a 85-yard punt return. Sayers went on to score a total of (an NFL record for a rookie) 22 TD's in a 14-game season.

OK ... How about 2 TD receptions over 51 yards... :cheese: