Rams at Bears vent thread part deux

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Psycho_X

Legend
It was a loss, it sucked but it happens to everyone. We're back home finally followed by two bad teams. We'll be fine.

What is still annoying the shit out of me is that god damn raid siren they played between every play. Could NBC not filter that shit out somewhat? Holy shit that was driving me crazy by the end of the game.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I'm not going to overreact like others over McVay and Goff all of a sudden being overrated etc. My lone criticism of McVay is still his choice of play calling on 1st down (at times) but especially on 3rd and manageable. He needs to go with more high percentage stuff on 3rd and 5 or less instead of dropping Goff back and calling 20-25 yard plays.

The TE's have stepped up in Kupp's absence so use them in short down and distance. Use the Gurley flare/flats stuff there. Run Gurley on 3rd and 3.
I don't see Gurley being used correctly against LB mismatches as often in the passing game. A lot of East/West stuff seems to be the way McVay is attacking with Gurley.

tklongball

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not going to overreact like others over McVay and Goff all of a sudden being overrated etc. My lone criticism of McVay is still his choice of play calling on 1st down (at times) but especially on 3rd and manageable. He needs to go with more high percentage stuff on 3rd and 5 or less instead of dropping Goff back and calling 20-25 yard plays.

The TE's have stepped up in Kupp's absence so use them in short down and distance. Use the Gurley flare/flats stuff there. Run Gurley on 3rd and 3.
I don't see Gurley being used correctly against LB mismatches as often in the passing game. A lot of East/West stuff seems to be the way McVay is attacking with Gurley.

I wouldn't be opposed to running a draw play out of shotgun on occasion also.

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
A few observations:

(3) As other's have mentioned in other threads, "Since AD is being double and triple teamed on every play, what are the other players on the D-line doing?"

(5) The Rams D is built on rushing the passer. This accounts for those gaping holes that opposing RB's run through every game. Maybe it's time to tweak that philosophy.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
The defense has looked better the last two weeks for sure.

Last night the run defense was not very good though.

They gained 194 yards rushing and if you take out Trubiski's 23 yards scrambling that's still 171 yards.

They had the right strategy for a cold night game. They ran it 35 times, though 6 were QB scrambles and passed 30 times.

McVay called 12 running plays (11 to Gurley), and 47 pass plays.
But.....while the run defense certainly was not great, we still had a chance in the 4th Qtr (as bad as we played....) to cut it to a 1 score game. And had a possession or 2 after that. The run game does control the clock, but if you aren't scoring w/ it, how does it hurt the other team? The NFL has picked up a few of the NBA concepts. It's usually not how much they do, but how many points they create with it (that matters...). How many big passing games came because of a team being down? I know rushing the ball does usually give you an advantage, but it really didn't last night. Turnovers by the Bears, offset whatever advantage their run game created. It was the old "Jeff Fisher" concept. And we know what record seemed to always happen from that strategy.
Now on the offensive side..... I got very little to comment on. I understand what happened. I even know the concept behind it (Pass to open up the run...). But what happened.....happened. Sometimes, it just doesn't work out. I choose to just move on to the Eagles.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
My lone criticism of McVay is still his choice of play calling on 1st down (at times) but especially on 3rd and manageable. He needs to go with more high percentage stuff on 3rd and 5 or less instead of dropping Goff back and calling 20-25 yard plays.

When he called an empty backfield set with Goff in the shotgun on a 3rd and 2 I actually said out loud "what the hell is this!!!"

You and I have talked a little about this, he's got a bit of a gunslingers mentality. He needs to tone that down against an elite D.

I wouldn't be opposed to running a draw play out of shotgun on occasion also.

I'm trying to remember the last draw play under center or shotgun..............

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
The run game does control the clock, but if you aren't scoring w/ it, how does it hurt the other team?

It takes away the ability to as the saying goes pin back their ears and attack. They were flat out coming on every play and a few draws (and screens) would have changed that. Goff was under pressure constantly and that made the difference in the game. He was 21 of 45 because of that.

Let's hope McVay looks in the mirror and get's it right next time. You can pull of that type of a game plan and do that type of play calling against a team whose defense you have at a disadvantage but against a unit like the Bears have it's a bad play.

It's a simple premise that if a defense has to respect the run it can't risk applying full bore pressure every play. They were in a nickel defense seemingly all the time and the DL went full on pass rush on what seemed like every play, as if they knew McVay was not going to run.

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
Here are our last five games:
@NO - 35 points scored
SEA - 36 points scored
KC - 54 points scored
@DET - 30 points scored
@CHI - 6 points scored

I don't think we should overreact to two games.

Understood. But beyond our down trending and predictable offense, I also have huge issue with our run defense.
Why didn't you include the points scored by our opponents above? When you look at the big picture, it looks scary (as far as reaching the superbowl).

Name
Victor
The announcers made a good point last night.. we are not a deep team.

We have a lot of high paid players but we are thin behind them.

It's not so much that we lost that bothers me. It's how absolutely inept we were.

I'm trying to tell myself it happens... trying..

Exactly. Losing happens. But being held to a couple fgs, having your qb look like he smoked 4 pounds of the good stuff, watching your coach look confused and desperate and having no answer for the challenge presented is what really made me sad and worried. It looked really bad. You can lose playing well and you can lose playing like we did yesterday. It is two completely different things.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The 2018 Rams won't be the last fair weather team to look like complete crap on a frigid night.

case in point the 2008 cardinals team. division wrapped up and a trip to cheatsville to play the cheats in the snow. they didn't want to be there and i think they lost by 50.

the reaction by the media to it was so funny. it was a sure sign they knew absolutely nothing about the team. worthless said they were the worst team to ever make the playoffs. that is a prime example of why his opinions are worthless, the stupid fuck.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Understood. But beyond our down trending and predictable offense, I also have huge issue with our run defense.
Why didn't you include the points scored by our opponents above? When you look at the big picture, it looks scary (as far as reaching the superbowl).

It's going to be a dogfight for sure, NO and CHI are formidable teams.

Gurley them!!

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
OK, So I just woke up all night it felt like 2016. Please tell me it's not
Dude, I've had these thoughts also and, man, do I hate 'em. Can't get out of my head the parallels to the last futile days of the Jeff Fisher Reign of Error.

I.just.can't.go.back.to.those.dark days........

~ArkyRamsFan~

Last edited:

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
Big difference in 99, the losses to the Titans and Lions were close and Warner was not picked off 4 times in either of those games. However, I'm not overrating, coaching staff needs to adjust and McVay needs to trust the backups to Gurley, IMO, it is effecting his play calling because he does not want to overuse Todd, needs to either trust Davis or Kelly moving forward.

They need to attack the middle of the field more, miss Kupp for this, but not one pass to Higbee...The bright side is Wade has the defense playing better, but not as good as the Bears or the Saints.
den,
I was going to post something just like this but you have said it well. I do remember both of those games and we were in it until the very end. Nothing like last night happened in '99
Just sayin'.........

~ArkyRamsFan~

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

i used to love these threads because i hated jeff fisher so much i couldn't wait to let out my frustrations on the way the team played that day.

reading the overreactions now is pretty funny. where did all this angst come from?

Psycho_X

Legend
.i used to love these threads because i hated jeff fisher so much i couldn't wait to let out my frustrations on the way the team played that day.

reading the overreactions now is pretty funny. where did all this angst come from?.

We got to release it so often for 15 years everyone's bodies aren't used to this. We've got winning record blue balls.

Status
Not open for further replies.