Rams an X factor at top of draft | King

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/03/30/nfl-2016-draft-rams-trade-paxton-lynch-jalen-ramsey

The draft kicks off four weeks from Thursday, and the frenzy’s been a little slow to build. But let’s do something about that, shall we?

Four notes about the draft (not meaning to usurp Robert Klemko’s superb weekly draft column at The MMQB, which is newsy every time), and what I see a month out, will follow.

First: This draft doesn’t have quite the buzz of some recent drafts because there aren’t the megastars at the top that there were in 2012 (Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin III) or 2015 (Jameis Winston, Marcus Mariota). Carson Wentz and Jared Goff are each very good quarterback prospects, but they’re not the clear 1-2 picks the others were as those drafts drew near. Which leads me to my first note.

Will some team pay Tennessee 75 cents on the dollar for the first overall pick? Most of the front-office people I talk to are dubious that Tennessee GM Jon Robinson, who is trying to create a market for the top pick in the draft, will be able to get an offer rich enough to tempt him to deal it. After Mississippi tackle Laremy Tunsil’s predictably strong pro day performance in Oxford on Monday, Robinson can feel good about eschewing all offers and sitting there and making the obvious pick—a left tackle to help protect his franchise quarterback for the next decade. To me, there are three big X factors in a trade that could shake up the top of the first round: Paxton Lynch, the Los Angeles Rams and Jalen Ramsey. Explanations follow.

Les Snead is the GM most likely to deal, judging by the Rams’ recent history. Snead has been the most active prime-pick trader recently. In his four drafts since taking the Rams’ job, Snead has traded eight times in the top 50 picks of drafts, more than any of his peers since 2012. He’s traded down with the second, sixth, 22nd, 41st, 44th and 45th picks, and traded up with the 16th pick (in 2013, to get Tavon Austin at number eight), and acquired the 43rd pick in this year’s draft, from Philadelphia as part of the Sam Bradford-Nick Foles deal. Imagine averaging two big trades per draft season. That’s what Snead has done. So he won’t be shy if he thinks he wants to jump up to get a quarterback. For all the trades he’s made, Snead has never made a bold move to get a quarterback (unless you consider snagging Foles to be bold; in fact, it’s probably bolder that he traded Bradford than that he acquired Foles). So don’t be surprised if Snead goes for a quarterback, either trading up for Wentz or Goff late in April, or sitting where he is at pick 15 and taking the third QB on most boards, Lynch of Memphis.

Paxton Lynch, if he works out well for teams, could tempt a club like the Rams to deal up, or risk staying put, to try to get him. The Rams like Lynch. They won’t know whether they love Lynch until they work him out a couple of weeks down the road. But keep this in mind: The Rams like big quarterbacks with the ability to move, and that’s Lynch. And to trade up for one of the two primo guys, Goff or Wentz, would cost at least the Rams’ first two picks this year and a first-rounder next year. For a man who loves picks the way Snead does, I’d be surprised if he surrendered next year’s one. Then again, he’s never been afraid of making a stunning trade. I would place a lot of stock on the Rams’ private workout of Lynch in mid-April. Lynch’s value could be smack dab where the Rams pick, unless his stock rises with his April 6 pro day at Memphis. It’ll be interesting to see which coaches, if any, on new staffs—like Hue Jackson in Cleveland and Chip Kelly in San Francisco—interrupt the first day of work with their new teams to attend the Lynch workout.

Jalen Ramsey has the type of profile that could tempt teams to move way up. Ramsey, the 6-1 cornerback/free safety prospect from Florida State, had an impressive pro day Tuesday in Tallahassee. Ramsey has the wingspan of a 6-4 wideout and, at 6-1, is the kind of big corner or free safety NFL teams are seeking these days. On Tuesday he was predictably smooth and fast, and most NFL people think he can play cornerback, which is where his value is at the top of the draft. Although no one believes (at least now) that the Titans will take him first, cornerback is nearly as big a need as tackle for Tennessee. And even if Robinson wants Tunsil badly, he won't do any harm to smokescreen about Ramsey for the next two or three weeks. So stay tuned.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Les Snead is the GM most likely to deal, judging by the Rams’ recent history. Snead has been the most active prime-pick trader recently. In his four drafts since taking the Rams’ job, Snead has traded eight times in the top 50 picks of drafts, more than any of his peers since 2012. He’s traded down with the second, sixth, 22nd, 41st, 44th and 45th picks, and traded up with the 16th pick (in 2013, to get Tavon Austin at number eight), and acquired the 43rd pick in this year’s draft, from Philadelphia as part of the Sam Bradford-Nick Foles deal. Imagine averaging two big trades per draft season. That’s what Snead has done. So he won’t be shy if he thinks he wants to jump up to get a quarterback. For all the trades he’s made, Snead has never made a bold move to get a quarterback (unless you consider snagging Foles to be bold; in fact, it’s probably bolder that he traded Bradford than that he acquired Foles). So don’t be surprised if Snead goes for a quarterback, either trading up for Wentz or Goff late in April, or sitting where he is at pick 15 and taking the third QB on most boards, Lynch of Memphis.
I like this!! I hope Snead is able to work some Magic this year!!(y):D

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
No trade up for a QB or even one at #15. Let's get the bets going, I'm still banking on Sean (the) Mannion as our mainstay starter.

I feel without a 5th and 7th round pick, for good reasons, our (2) 2nd rounders are pretty damn valuable and will fulfill positions of need and depth. Like maybe free safety and Def.tackle as examples.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Paxton Lynch, if he works out well for teams, could tempt a club like the Rams to deal up, or risk staying put, to try to get him. The Rams like Lynch. They won’t know whether they love Lynch until they work him out a couple of weeks down the road. But keep this in mind: The Rams like big quarterbacks with the ability to move, and that’s Lynch. And to trade up for one of the two primo guys, Goff or Wentz, would cost at least the Rams’ first two picks this year and a first-rounder next year. For a man who loves picks the way Snead does, I’d be surprised if he surrendered next year’s one. Then again, he’s never been afraid of making a stunning trade. I would place a lot of stock on the Rams’ private workout of Lynch in mid-April. Lynch’s value could be smack dab where the Rams pick, unless his stock rises with his April 6 pro day at Memphis. It’ll be interesting to see which coaches, if any, on new staffs—like Hue Jackson in Cleveland and Chip Kelly in San Francisco—interrupt the first day of work with their new teams to attend the Lynch workout.

By the time the draft rolls around Lynch should be getting more love. The hits that guy has taken for his bad bowl game are over the top IMO, to the point where they are overlooking an enormous amount of good with the kid. I won't see it as his stock rising, but his stock returning to what it should be.

Only caveat with him would be something we don't know about off the field. Barring that, and IF the Rams stick at 15 and he's there, they gotta take him.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
By the time the draft rolls around Lynch should be getting more love. The hits that guy has taken for his bad bowl game are over the top IMO, to the point where they are overlooking an enormous amount of good with the kid. I won't see it as his stock rising, but his stock returning to what it should be.

Only caveat with him would be something we don't know about off the field. Barring that, and IF the Rams stick at 15 and he's there, they gotta take him.
Link me to his best film Merlin. If you find the time. (y)

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Imagine the excitement it would bring to hear the Rams traded up to the first pick in the draft
And then they pick Jalen Ramsey...

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Imagine the excitement it would bring to hear the Rams traded up to the first pick in the draft
And then they pick Jalen Ramsey...

I would love that. I would literally love that. Just to see the loudmouths on tv and uptight draft "gurus" on the internet lose their shit.

Then I would hope Jalen Ramsey would become an instant HoF player. That would be amazing.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I watched Wentz's Pro Day and don't remember the commentators mentioning the Rams having reps in North Dakota. The same was true about Jared Goff's Pro Day, just don't remember seeing Fisher/Snead on the sidelines in either Pro Day. I expect the Rams to be at Paxton Lynch's Pro Day, just because of his value at #15. Still, we know that this is the deception season, which Fisher has for sure indulged in these past years....It's also true that Snead has no fear in making a big move in the Draft, and has said that he has no problem moving up in the Draft for the right player.

1. They are playing it straight, and will draft BPA at #15.
2. Snead/Fisher are not going to Goff and Wentz Pro Days, because they know it will stir up the market/bidding if other teams feel the Rams are moving up (49ers and Philly). Snead makes a deal with Kroenke friend Jerry Jones for the Cowboys pick (or higher). They make a blindside pick of Goff or Wentz, depending on who is there.

Getting a QB would solve a few concerns. Normally a HC and staff get a few years after drafting a 1st round QB to develop him and achieve success with him (except for Lovie Smith in Tampa..OUCH!). Of course if they really think either guy is a franchise QB, it's worth the move up (How long have we been waiting to replace Marc Bulger?). Lastly, moving up for a potential franchise QB would excite LA as almost no other pick in the Draft. It would make the Hard Knocks show into a revenue generator for ticket sales, as the new market dreams of Gurley and Goff/Wentz.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
See I see it as two camps here with regards, to do we be bold and aggressive and make the move to top of the draft for a QB.

I'm in the yes camp of course and my reason is, we build a good OL and have a generational rb in TG3 (lets no ruin him like Minny has done to date w/ AP), very good Def, and special team is above average. So the time is now and I don't see an RG3 deal to get it done but yes I would For what it's worth. If Les decides to go into bizarro world on draft day i say there is a very good chance we waste a year or two or even our window. As each year goes bye we will end up losing key players. If we get a QB it would help keep them imho.

If your in the no camp, it appears this camp wants to be more safe and allows for more risk while attempting to be sneaky with the mind set to move up only a "few spots" or "let the draft come to them". imho

So what says you??????

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I knew the Rams would like Lynch. Right up their alley.

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
See I see it as two camps here with regards, to do we be bold and aggressive and make the move to top of the draft for a QB.

I'm in the yes camp of course and my reason is, we build a good OL and have a generational rb in TG3 (lets no ruin him like Minny has done to date w/ AP), very good Def, and special team is above average. So the time is now and I don't see an RG3 deal to get it done but yes I would For what it's worth. If Les decides to go into bizarro world on draft day i say there is a very good chance we waste a year or two or even our window. As each year goes bye we will end up losing key players. If we get a QB it would help keep them imho.

If your in the no camp, it appears this camp wants to be more safe and allows for more risk while attempting to be sneaky with the mind set to move up only a "few spots" or "let the draft come to them". imho

So what says you??????
I think if either Wentz or Goff are still available at #4 we could probably get a reasonable deal from Dallas. We still have enough cap space to fill in the gaps.

jetplt67

Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...
Two things:

Personally I don't think a Head Coach in the last year of his contract would draft a QB and start him. He's looking to win now, not in 3 years when the QB is ready.

IMO, Lynch is no better than Mannion so I don't they take him unless he's there for some reason for our late 2nd or 3rd round.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Two things:

Personally I don't think a Head Coach in the last year of his contract would draft a QB and start him. He's looking to win now, not in 3 years when the QB is ready.

IMO, Lynch is no better than Mannion so I don't they take him unless he's there for some reason for our late 2nd or 3rd round.

Yeah, I find it hard to believe Fisher is going to sacrifice this year to start a rookie that may or may not be the future of the Rams. He needs to win now. He has no more excuses. If there is a defensive stud there at 15, I also find it hard to believe he would pass on him. People thought Donald was a luxury we couldn't afford. We all know how that worked out.