Rams 53-man roster projection, version 2.0/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

fearsomefour

Legend
to be honest i think Rhaney is better then both Barnes and Jones.
In terms of athletically I agree and its not that close. In terms of potential at the C position I agree as well. But, like Bonifay said, experience counts more at some positions than others. If it were up to me I would have Barnes starting at C with Rhaney learning and waiting in the wings with Jones providing depth at G as his main function.

nighttrain

Legend
Does M. Brown know how to pass block at all? Can he play on all of the ST units including return kicks?

I think those are big factors to consider when picking him or Pead.
And Pead's one shown talent is for sure pass blocking and special teams, personally I'm think he could still be a darn fine RB
train

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
But, like Bonifay said, experience counts more at some positions than others. If it were up to me I would have Barnes starting at C with Rhaney learning and waiting in the wings with Jones providing depth at G as his main function.

When you plan on starting two rookies next to each other on a five man OL you need to have a ton of experience in the other 3 starting posts. Starting a center with zero NFL game experience & zero NFL starts with the two rookies who have the same big Zero's:eek:. That's almost :seizure:!

Now throw in the real young 22 yr old Robinson who only has one full season of starts while @ Auburn & limited to only to 12 starts in 2014 is far from being anything close to being experienced & saying Robinson has full comprehension on what he is doing?? Well just observe his two 2015 pre season games for evidence that he is still pea green !

Throw in the fact that the teams most experienced starter Saffold still has big chunks of rust that he has yet to knock off due to another very early shoulder injury to deal with & work through.

Why would you not cease & utilize a young vet smart center who has been here since 2011? Tim Barnes has been the back up center since 2013 training camp. He has a full grasp of what Boudreau wants & know what to do. Barnes was the Ram center all through out 2013 TC & pre season plus filled in for Wells when he was out then concluded the 2013 season last five games as the starting center.

In 2014 Barnes was the first team center in OTA's & through out TC & most all pre season. Barnes remained the Rams main back up @ center & the 6th Boudreau ST'mers who knows what to do. Rhaney & Jones can not come close in providing what this center position demands currently ongoing in this extremely youthful Ram OL & in comparison to what smarts Barnes adds to each & every OL call.

When Saffold & Barnes team back up as starters in the interior OL when the season begins .....:cheers:together they will lead this OL into the future & many successful line battles.

fearsomefour

Legend
When you plan on starting two rookies next to each other on a five man OL you need to have a ton of experience in the other 3 starting posts. Starting a center with zero NFL game experience & zero NFL starts with the two rookies who have the same big Zero's:eek:. That's almost :seizure:!

Now throw in the real young 22 yr old Robinson who only has one full season of starts while @ Auburn & limited to only to 12 starts in 2014 is far from being anything close to being experienced & saying Robinson has full comprehension on what he is doing?? Well just observe his two 2015 pre season games for evidence that he is still pea green !

Throw in the fact that the teams most experienced starter Saffold still has big chunks of rust that he has yet to knock off due to another very early shoulder injury to deal with & work through.

Why would you not cease & utilize a young vet smart center who has been here since 2011? Tim Barnes has been the back up center since 2013 training camp. He has a full grasp of what Boudreau wants & know what to do. Barnes was the Ram center all through out 2013 TC & pre season plus filled in for Wells when he was out then concluded the 2013 season last five games as the starting center.

In 2014 Barnes was the first team center in OTA's & through out TC & most all pre season. Barnes remained the Rams main back up @ center & the 6th Boudreau ST'mers who knows what to do. Rhaney & Jones can not come close in providing what this center position demands currently ongoing in this extremely youthful Ram OL & in comparison to what smarts Barnes adds to each & every OL call.

When Saffold & Barnes team back up as starters in the interior OL when the season begins .....:cheers:together they will lead this OL into the future & many successful line battles.
Agreed.
However Barnes is hardly a seasoned grizzled veteran. They could just as well signed Chris Myers to compete and if he was suddenly old cut him.
To me Barnes is solid, Rhaney has potential and Jones is a G.

woofwoofmo

65 Toss Power Trap
Agreed.
However Barnes is hardly a seasoned grizzled veteran. They could just as well signed Chris Myers to compete and if he was suddenly old cut him.

Center Chris Myers retires after 10 NFL seasons

Veteran center Chris Myers announced his retirement from the NFL on Tuesday.

The two-time Pro Bowler told SportsRadio 610 in Houston that he turned down offers to play this season because he had lost the desire to continue his career.

"When you know, you know," he said.

Myers, 33, tweeted his thanks to the Denver Broncos and Houston Texans, the only two teams he played for in his 10-year career.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Agreed.

I agree with your statement on Barnes. But he has more than 13 other Ram Ol'ers. Looks like Alabama thought very similar to you fearsomefour on Barrett Jones who started 50 games in college, 36 of those starts were not @ center but 25 of them were @ OG.

Ram OL'ers NFL games experience
#1-Saffold-63
#2-Reynolds- 52
#3-Barnes - 45

#4-Robinson-16
#5-Jones -10
#6-Bond-2
#7-Baker-2
#8-Washington-1

#9-Rhaney-0
#10-Havenstein-0
#11-Brown-0
#12-Donnal-0
#13-Wichmann-0
#14-Battle-0
#15-Wang-0
#16-Williams-0

Big Willie

Starter
No issues with the list, except I still think Pead gets traded for either a conditional pick or for another player that is gonna get cut at LB, CB or OL. Wouldn't surprise me if the trade is with the Cowboys. I think Bryant, Brown, Ifedi and Bayer are practice squad eligible and I believe three them make that squad (not Brown). Watts takes the 4th RB spot on the roster from Brown once he returns from suspension.

fearsomefour

Legend
I agree with your statement on Barnes. But he has more than 13 other Ram Ol'ers. Looks like Alabama thought very similar to you fearsomefour on Barrett Jones who started 50 games in college, 36 of those starts were not @ center but 25 of them were @ OG.

#1-Saffold-63
#2-Reynolds- 52
#3-Barnes - 45

#4-Robinson-16
#5-Jones -10
#6-Bond-2
#7-Baker-2
#8-Washington-1

#9-Rhaney-0
#10-Havenstein-0
#11-Brown-0
#12-Donnal-0
#13-Wichmann-0
#14-Battle-0
#15-Wang-0
#16-Williams-0
I am basing my take on Jones moving to G based on the Oakland game where he was slow out of the snap and was beaten quite a bit.
In fairness I have not seen the Tennessee game. I prefer Rhaney.....but what I would REALLY prefer is two C to emerge, doesn't matter which two

fearsomefour

Legend

Debacled

Starter

#1-Saffold-63
#2-Reynolds- 52
#3-Barnes - 45

#4-Robinson-16
#5-Jones -10
#6-Bond-2
#7-Baker-2
#8-Washington-1

#9-Rhaney-0
#10-Havenstein-0
#11-Brown-0
#12-Donnal-0
#13-Wichmann-0
#14-Battle-0
#15-Wang-0
#16-Williams-0

Misleading numbers, for Barnes at least. Those were mainly games he got in on STs, hardly offensive duty. I'd hardly call being active on game day as game experience.

That being said it doesn't matter too much who they stick at C, there will be growing pains.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Misleading numbers, for Barnes at least. Those were mainly games he got in on STs, hardly offensive duty. I'd hardly call being active on game day as game experience.

That being said it doesn't matter too much who they stick at C, there will be growing pains.

If you want to look at it that way. But when you are Boudreau's 6th Ram OL'er for two seasons..that's says something. When you are on the active roster for 3 full season you practice as much as the starters do. When you are the next OL'er up you prepare your self to be ready to start the entire time. You are no small part of the OL when you are the goal line, short yardage & lead blockers in Punt & kick off returns.

I sure would not say it does not matter too much, because about 3 dozen Ram OL'ers have come & gone since Barnes arrived & there is only one Ram OL'er who has been with Boudreau longer.o_O

I would also take the opposite side in your statement "it doesn't matter too much who they stick at C" . IMO one of the main problems for years with this Ram OL since Andy McCollum tore up his knee has been the OC position,...... Brett Romberg, Nick leckey, Jason Brown, Tony Wragge, Hank Fraley, Robert Turner & Scott Wells. IMO in a Boudreau OL blocking scheme a smart healthy determined fully groomed center is a critical part of the OL overall & will cut down on the growing pains considerably.

I do agree fully with your statement that we all should expect & be patience with this OL for as you said there is & will be growing pains.

Last edited: