1. To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams 2012 Free Agency

Discussion in 'RAMS - NFL TALK' started by DR RAM, Jan 6, 2012.

1. -X- I'm the dude, man.

Or a black knight.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKhEw7nD9C4[/youtube]

2. RamFan503 Grill and Brew Master

Ekke Ekke Ekke Ekke Ptangya Ziiinnggggggg Ni!

3. steferfootball Well-Known Member

4. Yamahopper Well-Known Member

Teams can carry over unused cap space to next year. This will be a big help since teams have to be under the cap on March 13.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... e-by-team/

[Editor's note: With teams now able to carry over their excess cap space from one year to the next, here's a look at each team's remaining 2011 cap space, as of February 12, 2012.]

Jaguars: $31.66 million.

Broncos: $27.88 million.

Buccaneers: $25.05 million.

Chiefs: $24.01 million.

Seahawks: $21.27 million.

Bills: $19.29 million.

Bengals: $17.59 million.

Cowboys: $17.14 million.

49ers: $16.87 million.

Redskins: $13.6 million.

Eagles: $11.01 million.

Dolphins: $9.05 million.

Browns: $8.98 million.

Jets: $8.39 million.

Titans: $8.11 million.

Bears: $7.74 million.

Cardinals: $7.04 million.

Patriots: $6.66 million.

Ravens: $6.18 million.

Packers: $5.48 million.

Saints: $4.22 million.

Rams: $3.5 million.

Raiders: $3.23 million.

Panthers: $2.8 million.

Colts: $2.5 million.

Chargers: $2.1 million.

Vikings: $1.95 million.

Lions: $1.47 million.

Texans: $1.08 million.

Giants: $1.06 million.

Falcons: $747,000.

Steelers: $506,000.

5. libertadrocks Well-Known Member

Im not 100% clear on this new ability to carry over unused cap space.

So does it essentially mean JAX has over 60 million to spend this off season?

And if so, Im assuming they would have to cut salaries by 30 million between 2012 and 2013 to be under the 2013 cap, correct?

6. Yamahopper Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how they will count this, watching NFL network and they alluded it was free money other reports said it's not. Many times the issue has to come up for a ruling from the league will give clarification to it.
    This would give the Rams about 13.5 mil. for 12 before the roster is adjusted.
    Yep way it sounds Jax could spend that. What Jax, Hags and few others did was in 10 when there was no cap they cut or restructured contracts that gave them all the free money now. Smart.

Soon all teams will have to be above 89% of the cap or pay a penalty to the players for not complying so lots a marginal players going to be rich.

7. Yamahopper Well-Known Member

Brees reportedly won't be happy if he gets tagged. (Getty Images) By Will BrinsonOn Monday February 20, NFL teams can begin to apply the franchise tag to players. They can do so up until March 5 at 4 p.m. ET. For those that don't know, the franchise tag is a method of keeping players from hitting the open market. Previously, the franchise-tag number was generated by averaging the top-five salaries at a position to determine a number for that position.This year, the franchise tag value will be a percentage of the overall salary cap figure for the previous five years. As such, NFL.com (the league's official website, making the figures trustworthy, one would hope) the following figures, plus figures from last year that we've included:position 2012 Franchise Tag Value*2011 Franchise Tag ValueQuarterback$16.1 million $14.4 millionRunning Back$7.7 million $9.6 millionWide Receiver$9.4 million $11.4 millionTight End$5.4 million $7.3 millionOffensive Line$9.4 million $10.1 millionDefensive End$10.6 million $13 millionDefensive Tackle$7.9 million $12.5 millionLinebacker$8.8 million $10.1 millionCornerback$10.6 million $13.5 millionSafety$6.2 million $8.8 million*The only instances this doesn't apply: when a player already made more than the franchise-tag value, or when a player receives the franchise tag for the second-straight year, in which case tagging said player would cost 120 percent of their previous base salary.Aside from the asterisked exception above, it's clearly much more cost effective to utilize the franchise tag on a player in 2012 than it was in 2011. Wide receivers like DeSean Jackson, Dwayne Bowe and Marques Colston might not be tag candidates at $11.4 million. At $9.4 million, they certainly are.
    Brees reportedly won't be happy if he gets tagged. (Getty Images) By Will Brinson

On Monday February 20, NFL teams can begin to apply the franchise tag to players. They can do so up until March 5 at 4 p.m. ET. For those that don't know, the franchise tag is a method of keeping players from hitting the open market. Previously, the franchise-tag number was generated by averaging the top-five salaries at a position to determine a number for that position.

This year, the franchise tag value will be a percentage of the overall salary cap figure for the previous five years. As such, NFL.com (the league's official website, making the figures trustworthy, one would hope) the following figures, plus figures from last year that we've included:

Position 2012 Franchise Tag Value*
    2011 Franchise Tag Value
    Quarterback
    $16.1 million $14.4 million
    Running Back
    $7.7 million $9.6 million
    Wide Receiver
    $9.4 million $11.4 million
    Tight End
    $5.4 million $7.3 million
    Offensive Line
    $9.4 million $10.1 million
    Defensive End
    $10.6 million $13 million
    Defensive Tackle
    $7.9 million $12.5 million
    Linebacker
    $8.8 million $10.1 million
    Cornerback
    $10.6 million $13.5 million
    Safety
    $6.2 million $8.8 million
    *The only instances this doesn't apply: when a player already made more than the franchise-tag value, or when a player receives the franchise tag for the second-straight year, in which case tagging said player would cost 120 percent of their previous base salary.

Aside from the asterisked exception above, it's clearly much more cost effective to utilize the franchise tag on a player in 2012 than it was in 2011. Wide receivers like DeSean Jackson, Dwayne Bowe and Marques Colston might not be tag candidates at $11.4 million. At $9.4 million, they certainly are.

8. -X- I'm the dude, man.

[​IMG]

Law Firm to hit the market?

Back on Feb. 14, we made note of the fact that the New England Patriots do have some love for impending free agent BenJarvus Green-Ellis, and have talked contract with his agent. However, this doesn't guarantee that something will be worked out prior to the RB hitting free agency on March 13.

In fact, on Sunday, ESPNBoston.com scribe Mike Reiss passed along his thoughts on the matter; namely, that he doesn't believe there will be a new deal for the Law Firm in Foxboro prior to that deadline:

"Barring a late change, look for running back BenJarvus Green-Ellis to make it to the open market on March 13, with the possibility of his return to New England remaining open. It appears the Patriots have set a value on Green-Ellis, and it's not at a level that has Green-Ellis ready to sign before seeing what interest he might generate on the open market."

If Green-Ellis hits the market, he'll generate interest from the RB-needy teams, a list that includes -- for now -- the Cincinnati Bengals, Cleveland Browns, Denver Broncos and Pittsburgh Steelers.

In a previous post, Reiss outlined the three reasons why the Pats are not hellbent on retaining Green-Ellis:

- Tim Kavanagh

[textarea]Mike Reiss

They've got some other options already under contract

"One assumes the Patriots would want the sure-handed Green-Ellis to return, although they always draw a line as to how far they'll extend themselves. They have an insurance plan in place with 2011 draft choices Stevan Ridley (third round) and Shane Vereen (second round), with Danny Woodhead also under contract for 2012."[/textarea]

9. BatteringRambo Gym Rat (Rams) Stoner

Just throwing this out there saw that Vikings will not attempt to move forward w/ TE Schianchoe they're going with Rudolph. I think Schianchoe would be a nice,cap friendly and productive TE to pair with Kendricks.

10. Warner4Prez Mɥɐʇ┴ɥǝHǝll¿

I was having the same feelings with Jeremy Shockey. He's still got play maker potential which he showed last year, but would probably have to settle for a deal laden with incentives. I think both guys offer similar skills, but I'm anti-Viking, so I'd rather see Shockey. :yeh:

11. RamFan503 Grill and Brew Master

Knew I liked you for a reason. :sly:

12. libertadrocks Well-Known Member

Roto has posted a list of the top 2012 FA bargains. There are a couple guys on the list I like and they predict one, Jason Jones, will sign here(although the deal doesnt sound like much of a bargain to me.

13. Angry Ram aka Captain RAmerica aka the OG Rammer

14. -X- I'm the dude, man.

:what: :gay:

15. Ramhusker Well-Known Member Pit Boss

Man, only 5 days before FA begins. I'm getting pretty damn excited. I got good feelings about a couple of good FA acquisitions. LET'S GET IT DONE RAMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. -X- I'm the dude, man.

3-9-12 4:35pm Carl Nicks
    Kristian Garic fills in for Bobby and Deke and talks with free agent All-Pro guard Carl Nicks about why he thinks the New Orleans Saints are moving in a different direction and won't re-sign him.

[mp3]http://podcast.wwl.com/wwl2/3354916.mp3?id=0.6520314393565059[/mp3]

Step #1. Sign this dude.

17. Angry Ram aka Captain RAmerica aka the OG Rammer

[​IMG]

18. BatteringRambo Gym Rat (Rams) Stoner

Step #2. Then sign DT Jason Jones... :p

Step #3. And then? And then and then and then!

If that happened or something comparable I would feel pretty damn good heading up to the draft. Bell is LG and Nicks is also. I think Jason Brown's ultimate outcome may have an affect also.
    I am willing to bet Nicks signs with Redskins but hey Snead and Fisher will acquire veteran talent maybe not at the expense if Nicks soon to be big pay day.

19. RamFan503 Grill and Brew Master

It looks like some offensive tackles are coming available through cuts. Wonder what Levi would cost.

20. steferfootball Well-Known Member

FWIW, OJ is a FA.