Ramdom thoughts

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Flint

Pro Bowler
Jared Cook, wow. Cook was doing his best jimmy Graham impression, he was unstoppable. But we also saw what drives you nuts about him, the Johnson int was an awful throw but your receiver has to help you out and at least knock it down, then the pick six, looked like he
Slowed down which allowed Peters to take his lunch money. Do the Rams have a TE? Just wondering.
Carr looked really uncomfortable, AD was coming but he never really got there and Carr was throwing it away or checking it down.
The Goff-Cooks connection is a work in progress, Goff-Woods too for that matter. Maybe a few snaps for Jared next year?
Gurley was Gurley, I like seeing Brown get a few carries.
Overall the offense looked pretty good, they spread it around TG did his thing but it would be nice to see the TE contribute to give the defense something new to focus on. The Raiders had no pass rush, Goff can’t get used to standing back there all day.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Phillips made the halftime adjustment, adding a DB and putting Talib on J Cook.

Raiders didn't score after that.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
No sacks by Donald, but it is clear by the game plan and Carr’s skittishness, that the Rams d-line is a feared unit. Gruden was worried enough to try to scheme around it. Thus Carr was worried going into the game. It’s not just about AD this year. Suh, Brockets, Donald and the whole rotation has an impact before the ball is even snapped. Ditto with Talib and Peters.

For Gruden to win with a dink and dunk offense the Raiders defense would have to pitch a shutout or close. We saw it with checkdown Sammy. It is tough to make long sustained drives for a full game and nearly impossible to keep up with a potent offense on the scoreboard.

This game was won before it ever started.

pmil66

Starter
Name
pmil
If memory serves, Cook had a great game with the Rams his first game after signing as a free agent. Kinda went downhill after that.

Big Game

Living The Dream
Jared Cook only plays well against former teams, and yet his team still took the L. So not concerned there. Also the deep balls hmmm lets calm down guys the timing was slightly off not by much at all. Watch next game the Woods and Cooks connection will be there.

Chucky's game plan will be what most teams will try to do to us run the ball control clock and get the ball out on all throws. Did you notice Carr was throwing the ball in less then 2 seconds. Espn said the average throw is in about 2.7.

I don't see many dink and dunk offenses beating us.

Also i loved the adjust after the half on defense we went to a form of cover two the linebackers dropped back taking away the flats. Such was the case on Carr's horrible pick to Littleton.

Anyways a great game as far as kicking the dust off playing defense and winning on the road.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Austin Blythe played a terrific game, his downfield blocking on the Gurley tap pass was a work of art and his pass blocking was terrific. I was not his biggest supporter when the Rams claimed him, but he has been an excellent addition and Aaron Kromer continues to work his magic.

Mark Barron makes a difference in coverage and against run looking forward to having him back although Wilson played solid. Littleton does struggle in coverage at times as @jrry32 illustrated in many posts as a concern, however, I do believe he's getting better. Big play by Johnson picking off Carr in the end zone, if Carr puts more air on it the result might have been different.

No Gerald Everett at all and no targets for the TE's, wow! Rams always lined up with 3 WR's and I'm loving the addition of Brandon Cooks, not only for his catches, but he drew two major interference penalties which does not show up in the box score for him.

Wade Phillips and his half time adjustments are truly special...Wade calms everyone down, makes a few adjustments and just like that, the Raiders put up a goose egg in the second half, plus I truly hope the Rams can pay Marcus Peters because nothing against Trumaine Johnson, but that is what's called a "shut down corner."

Last edited:

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Great observation Den. Add 37 and 50 to Cooks rec total for getting those PI calls.

JCooks would not have had that 1st half success if Barron had been in. Phillip make the haftime adjustment of putting Talib exclusively on J Cook with great success.

OL was lights out good in the 2nd half. Goff had all day, Gurley got most of his yards.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
Two of the deep balls for Woods were right on his fingertips; they'll hit those.

40 point games, here we come.

Todd Gurley needs no pre-season.

Raiders interior was as advertised and good at holding at the same time. Ran the ball and allowed the short game for Oakland.

Roughing the passer penalty on AD was BS.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Two of the deep balls for Woods were right on his fingertips; they'll hit those.

40 point games, here we come.

Todd Gurley needs no pre-season.

Raiders interior was as advertised and good at holding at the same time. Ran the ball and allowed the short game for Oakland.

Roughing the passer penalty on AD was BS.

My theory, based on money ruling NFL decisions. Referees were instructed to protect Carr at all costs because the league wants the return of Gruden to be a success and generate interest. It could be a complete failure if he goes down with a knee injury.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Aaron Donald got a clean sack last night.
#neverforget

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
Yes. Agreed. Roughing the passer call on Donald was ridiculous. Was blocked into him, was falling towards him, and tackled Carr around the shins. HOW is that roughing? It's not.

On another Aaron Donald thought. The announcer last night said something like, "Look what the Rams did tonight and you did not even hear Aaron Donald's name...."

Was that announcer trying to say that AD got paid too much and the Rams might be able to win without him?
Or do you think he was saying just wait until AD has good to great games and the Rams will pummel other teams?

Ellard80

Legend
Cooks torched us - we slowed him down more in the 2nd half.. but he still had some big gains. He hasn't been a great player in the past, but I totally expect other teams will attack the rams similarily.

Stay away from our corners - attack our LB's and SS, FS

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
My theory, based on money ruling NFL decisions. Referees were instructed to protect Carr at all costs because the league wants the return of Gruden to be a success and generate interest. It could be a complete failure if he goes down with a knee injury.

Not too big on conspiracy theories, even for a Ram fan, but not the craziest thing that I've heard.

Cheers!

SoCalRam78

Pro Bowler
Name
SoCalRam78
Love the deep ball attempts

just opens it up underneath for Gurley, Kupp etc and hopefully the TEs

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
As far as getting Jared some snaps next year in preseason, I say it worked out. Sure we were a little slow coming out of the gate, but we still won and didn't risk injury during the preseason. I say McVay's decision on preseason was a success.

Psycho_X

Legend
The other part that sucks about AD's penalty that shouldn't have been a penalty is Brockers was taking Carr out at the same time so would have been a sack if AD wasn't even there. So glad we have a team that is good enough to shake off bad calls and luck like that and still win.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
About Jared Cook. Gotta tackle him lower and wrap up. Saw JJ make a textbook such tackle later in the game and the Raider dropped like a sack of potatoes.

Kupp has spoiled us, hasn’t he? What a steal he was.

McVay also sprinkled in some sweeps with Cooks and Kupp. One with Woods, too, I think. Those suckers will really loosen up a D, I’ll tell you that. If I were a DC, I would HATE to prepare to defend against McVay.

I’m just gonna say it. Both the O and the D looked very rusty, especially the O. Man, I was frustrated early on. The price we had to pay for resting starters for 4 PS games. Coulda been fatal but for halftime adjustments and elite vets gradually settling in.

However, I must also say this. S&M have assembled a loaded roster on O, D, and ST. With such players, capable coaches such as McVay and Wade can scheme and adjust on the fly when necessary. Few are the teams that can overmatch any of these three units. This Raider game was an excellent example. Rams struggled to adapt throughout the first half, although they did keep it close. But after the adjustments on both sides of the ball, the Rams dominated the second half and won by 20 going away. This was far better than what the Packers did on Sunday night, when you think about it. No superhuman miracle finish was needed for the Rams.

This Ram team is the best balanced and most complete Ram team I’ve seen since at least 2001.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Just a few more thoughts that occur before I re-watch...

McVay’s O requires the opponent to defend the entire field. Both side to side, short and deep. That’s huge.

If McVay can ever get his TE’s involved in a meaningful way, this O will be almost impossible to defend.

I thought Blythe did well in his backup role last night.

In fact, kudos to the entire OL.

Sometimes Goff loses track of time back there and suffers a strip sack. Maybe because he’s spoiled by his OL most snaps?

Love that Goff is always looking downfield to make a play, though.

Gurley is gonna have another great year. What a weapon!

Yeah, Cooks and Goff already look like they’ve been playing together for years. Sammy who? Lol.

Our front 3 on D didn’t have the dramatic debut that I had expected, and yet they were effective, weren’t they? Gruden’s strategy of quick releases prevented a lot of sacks and pressures. Then again, Carr DID have 3 ints. And the Raider running game was ineffective other than those two plays.

Our LB’s were certainly tested last night. And, as you say, that will continue this season indefinitely. Frankly, there aren’t many other chinks in this D. And there will be fewer still down the road as these players develop cohesion.

Any further evidence needed that Snead pulled off a double coup with the additions of Talib and Peters? Their mere presence dictated Gruden’s gameplan.

Can’t end without repeating kudos for both Hekker and GZ. What a pair!