Ram Bytes: Try Austin Davis, please

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
He threw 1 bad pass the second int the first one was clearly Cook's fault for quiting on the play. At the very least Cook has to try and knock the ball away from the defender.

Clemens also threw a couple of nice passes like the out to Pettis on third down, like the pass to Cook to get inside the 5 on the last play, like the pass to Austin again for a 3rd down conversion. Like the soft touch after scrambling to Pettis again a 3rd down conversion.

So as much as anyone wants to complain it sounds like sour grapes to me. We don't have a better option and Clemens has an opportunity to have his second full week with the 1's and a winnable game at home for his second start. It is time to get behind the guys we have.

Back up...Yes, he had a couple nice passes. Some people are acting as though Clemens played well all around. That's all I'm saying.

Be realistic here...I'm going to root for the guy on Sundays...I'm not going to prop him up to be an average talent, he isn't.

He is our best option right now. We can reevaluate that in 2,3,4 weeks down the road in which case that may change.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Back up...Yes, he had a couple nice passes. Some people are acting as though Clemens played well all around. That's all I'm saying.

Be realistic here...I'm going to root for the guy on Sundays...I'm not going to prop him up to be an average talent, he isn't.

He is our best option right now. We can reevaluate that in 2,3,4 weeks down the road in which case that may change.

No one is saying that.

Austin Davis will likely be more like aforementioned Keith freakin Null rather than Kurt Warner.

Kellen does give the team the best chance to win.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
No one is saying that.

Austin Davis will likely be more like aforementioned Keith freakin Null rather than Kurt Warner.

Kellen does give the team the best chance to win.

Yes...I believe I said that.

Again...I'm not the campaigning for Austin Davis, I'm just not pom-poms for Clemens and what Bernies comlumn says DOES have logic.

Too many times people want to make Bernies columns so personal when they aren't. Too many emotional responses instead of just looking at whats on the paper.

You move forward with Clemens. His veteran presence and knowledge of the system make the most logical sense for this team trying to win...however, if he doesn't play well and the team is destined to struggle the rest of the year you at least see if Davis has what it takes to be a backup in the NFL...NOT see if he is a viable long term starter.

I'm not sure that Kellen Clemens has truly shown to be either to be honest...but lets hope he does.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
It's true. Schotty needs to go. There's enough information on him to form an opinion on his abilities and they aren't good.
I disagree. I think there's enough information on the team to be able to disseminate where where different problems are, but it's not as easy to say one way or the other (definitively) if Schottenheimer is a liability. Not that I'm an expert or anything, but I tend to watch games over and over and over and I can see execution breakdowns that make a play fail. I can also see when pass plays would have ultimately been successful if the protection held up or if the receiver didn't foul up in some way. That's not to say that I think B Schott is a flawless innovator, but I can say that there has been significant improvement over what the previous few coordinators brought to the table.

jjab360

Legend
I disagree. I think there's enough information on the team to be able to disseminate where where different problems are, but it's not as easy to say one way or the other (definitively) if Schottenheimer is a liability. Not that I'm an expert or anything, but I tend to watch games over and over and over and I can see execution breakdowns that make a play fail. I can also see when pass plays would have ultimately been successful if the protection held up or if the receiver didn't foul up in some way. That's not to say that I think B Schott is a flawless innovator, but I can say that there has been significant improvement over what the previous few coordinators brought to the table.
I think Schotty came into the season with the wrong idea of how to handle the offensive personnel, so we got off to a slow start. However, I've been impressed with how he's adjusted since then and I think he's probably getting the most he can out of the talent he's got. That's not to say that all of our players are living up to their potential, but I think Schotty has been putting them in the best position to succeed more often than not, it's just the execution could use some work. That's a heck of a lot more than I can say for Shurmur or Mickey D, who had absolutely no idea how to handle the offense, and especially McDaniels who refused to adjust his schemes no matter what.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I think Schotty came into the season with the wrong idea of how to handle the offensive personnel, so we got off to a slow start. However, I've been impressed with how he's adjusted since then and I think he's probably getting the most he can out of the talent he's got. That's not to say that all of our players are living up to their potential, but I think Schotty has been putting them in the best position to succeed more often than not, it's just the execution could use some work. That's a heck of a lot more than I can say for Shurmur or Mickey D, who had absolutely no idea how to handle the offense, and especially McDaniels who refused to adjust his schemes no matter what.
Yeah, we're pretty close to being eye-to-eye on this. My only (slight) difference being, I think Schotty came into the season with a specific idea of how to handle the offensive personnel, but it didn't materialize because of mistakes and execution problems. It started off exactly how I think he wanted it to go in week 1 against Arizona, but even that started with a drop from Cook on a gimme long TD. Then, for whatever reason, the wheels fell off for a couple of games when the protection really broke down. You're right that he's more pragmatic than the other guys though. I anticipate another good plan against the Titans, and I hope Clemens is up to the task.

fearsomefour

Legend
Totally agree.

Davis went in to camp as the #2. Not only did he lose the job, but he didnt even earn a spot on the Rams practice squad. Miami signed him for a week.
And now there's a desire to "see what he can do"???

The real issue is probably how comfortable Schottenhiemer is calling plays with him in. Clemons would have the experience to make line calls or adjustments....if he is allowed to. I think the Rams beat Tennessee this weekend and he finishes out the season. Hopefully, if Davis does have real potential, the half season on the regular roster allows him to develop some.

goldenram

UDFA
Im really not debating Clemens vs Davis, that ship has long sailed. Davis was the #2, lost his spot, got cut and the team didnt even find him worthy of the PS. Miami dumped him after a week. And he's been off an nfl roster since. Thats worrisome to me.
Ok, I'm a little late getting in here. Davis was cut after pre-season for whatever reason, but he did out play Clemens and the stats show it. Neither player got a chance with the 1st team so it's hard to tell what they were capable of. I feel like when they decided to keep only 2 QBs that they felt that Clemens experience with Schotty was the deciding factor. (And they hoped they wouldn't be put in this situation) When Davis was asked to go work out for the Dolphins with 2 other QBs, it was because Pat Devlin's ankle injury was thought to be worse than it was. Dolphins didn't keep another QB because Devlin's injury wasn't. Davis was then brought in for a workout for the Panthers and then the Texans before coming back here.
All I know is that Davis is a very determined, smart, tough player. When he left High School, he only had one offer from a D1 school (Ark St). He went to SoMiss on a baseball scholarship so that he could walk on to football team more less as a called in favor with then head coach Bower just to get a chance. He was told that they just didn't feel he would be a D1 QB and mostly because of the 95% RUN offense that he QB'd in High School. That next season when Fedora took over SoMiss Davis was noticed and given a fair chance. He learned the spread offense quicker than the others and was given the reigns as a RS Freshman and never looked back. When he left SoMiss he owned every QB record there was, which most had belonged to Brett Favre. Davis is a great manager that will not loose a game for us. He doesn't take a lot of chances and he is a very effective when he tucks the ball and runs it (it's what he's done his whole career). If given a chance, I don't believe Davis would disappoint.

V3

Hall of Fame

I'm going back to his days in NJ, too. I'm not just talking about what he's done here- which hasn't been good.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
V3 post: 218497 said:
I'm going back to his days in NJ, too. I'm not just talking about what he's done here- which hasn't been good.
I respect your opinion, but I still disagree with it. IMO, as the execution improves, so will people's take on Schottenheimer's playcalling.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Could NOT agree more X, we played the NFC #1 seed to a standstill behind Clemens, time to reflect on that and keep on keepin on with that.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Could NOT agree more X, we played the NFC #1 seed to a standstill behind Clemens, time to reflect on that and keep on keepin on with that.

They scored 9 points. C'mon guys...the defense was the catalyst in that game, not the QB. It isn't like we went toe-to-toe with Peyton Manning and lost 51-48.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
They scored 9 points. C'mon guys...the defense was the catalyst in that game, not the QB. It isn't like we went toe-to-toe with Peyton Manning and lost 51-48.
Agreed, but he did a nice job of keeping them off the field and driving the offense with timely throws behind a good run game. Not a great game by any stretch, but he didn't lose it either.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Agreed, but he did a nice job of keeping them off the field and driving the offense with timely throws behind a good run game. Not a great game by any stretch, but he didn't lose it either.

For the most part I agree. Though, the one interception did lead to a TD. But the Rams had opportunities to make up for it, so I can't put too much grief on him for that.

jap

Legend
If the Fisher King is a classic coach in his thinking (and I think he is), he will be very light on experimenting with guys who provide less chances to win until the Rams actually get eliminated from playoff contention. If the Rams keep pushing playoff possibilities through Week Seventeen, we will be riding behind Kellen and Zac the Mack (Truck).