Ram Bytes: Try Austin Davis, please

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Clemens did not lose the game and in fact gave them a couple of chances to win it. The missed field goal and the last drive gave the Rams ample opportunity to win that game. How much more do you want from your back up who has not started a game in two years?

To not throw balls directly to the opponent.

The guy had a QB rating 36.8. 158 yards, and 2 INTs. You are telling me his play gave them a chance to win? No, he was in position to give the Rams a win based on what the defense did and what Zac Stacy did. He failed to execute when that chance was given.

I don't expect the backup to be Kurt Warner...but friggin Matt Cassel has performed better than that.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

The guy had a QB rating 36.8. 158 yards, and 2 INTs. You are telling me his play gave them a chance to win? No, he was in position to give the Rams a win based on what the defense did and what Zac Stacy did. He failed to execute when that chance was given.

I don't expect the backup to be Kurt Warner...but friggin Matt Cassel has performed better than that.
Well, he did play a big part in that potential game winning drive as he went 3/4 for 47 yards in that drive

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Thad stuck though with Cleveland for 2 years on the roster and the PS. Then was on Detroit PS. Davis only lasted 1 week on Miami PS, Rams didnt even want him on theirs
After the Jets lets go of Clemens, he didn't last anywhere. Couldn't make the practice squad on a Redskins squad that had John Beck and Rex Grossman at the helm, and couldn't even hack it as back up on the Schaubless Texans, and got waived for Jeff Garcia who was 41 at the time, before he only got a chance because Schottenheimer is his pal.

So if Clemens is our best bet and his circumstances are the exact same, I wouldn't be so quick to write Austin out.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
After the Jets lets go of Clemens, he didn't last anywhere. Couldn't make the practice squad on a Redskins squad that had John Beck and Rex Grossman at the helm, and couldn't even hack it as back up on the Schaubless Texans, and got waived for Jeff Garcia who was 41 at the time, before he only got a chance because Schottenheimer is his pal.

So if Clemens is our best bet and his circumstances are the exact same, I wouldn't be so quick to write Austin out.

Well, you are aware that Clemens was not eligible for the practice squad right? Thats what is so unsettling about Davis to me. If the rams were so impressed by him to consider him #2, then why not at least keep him on the PS?
Im thinking that theres a better chance you'll see Quinn in the mix than Davis

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
No Davis for me, I'm alright with Clemons. It doesn't matter as much when your WR's still don't have it together mid way through the season.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Clemens did not lose the game and in fact gave them a couple of chances to win it. The missed field goal and the last drive gave the Rams ample opportunity to win that game. How much more do you want from your back up who has not started a game in two years?

And... it was against a pretty darn good defense. If we'd have scored a TD on the final play, run or pass, he'd probably be getting a pat on the back for his "gritty performance". Lose the game and gritty becomes shitty.

I will say this... Clemens ball security scares me, but he's the best we got.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
The thing about Bernie, that NO ONE ever points out..... he is NEVER AT PRACTICE!!!!! Everything he writes, every "opinion" he forms, is based on information he regurgitates from the likes of Sando, Jim Thomas, and whatever "pundit" he wants to suck up to on that particular day.

After being at EVERY TRAINING CAMP PRACTICE the past 3 years, I not ONCE saw "Mr. Miklasz" patrolling the sidelines with the other media types.

That being said, if he had been there, he may have seen the same things the coaches saw every day. Austin Davis was NOT the same QB throughout training camp this year as he was last. In fact, I stated coming out of camp, that if he had played the way he did this year in his rookie audition, there would be NO ONE who would have even known his name this year. Can someone tell me the name of the other UDFA QB that was in training camp last year? didn't think so!!!!! That would have been A. Davis had he been as bad last year as he was in camp this year. BTW... it was Tyler Potts from Texas Tech.

For those "faults" that Clemens is saddled with..... Austin Davis is all of that and then some. He bails way too early, and rather than running around trying to extend a play, he merely looks to run. Say what you want about Clemens and his accuracy issues, Davis was even less accurate throughout training camp.

There is a reason that Austin Davis, who, as mentioned, was all but given the back up job GOING INTO CAMP, "lost" the job. He just hasn't been good enough to warrant the chance. That they brought him back, IMO, was merely because he is the ONLY guy who could step in an play at all if something were to happen to Clemens. But to say he needs to have "his chance" so they can evaluate what he brings to the table moving forward is just plain wrong.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Well, you are aware that Clemens was not eligible for the practice squad right? Thats what is so unsettling about Davis to me. If the rams were so impressed by him to consider him #2, then why not at least keep him on the PS?
Im thinking that theres a better chance you'll see Quinn in the mix than Davis

He was still eligible before we signed him, since hadn't been on a real NFL roster for more than 9 regular season games. He was still eligible despite having the NFL experience part down, nobody wanted him besides us, is the the thing I'm getting at.

I don't know, we don't know anything that goes into an NFL team, I wouldn't say them not keeping him around wasn't a sign on how good he was. If he wasn't any good, why would they sign him back again and not just Quinn?

All I know is, Davis performed better with less than Clemens, and I think that warrants a shot.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
This really is eerily reminiscent of the Boller/Null era. EVERYONE was clamoring for Keith Null to get in the game and put Boller on the bench after Bulger got hurt. He was a big guy, strong arm, did this or that during preseason, and then came in and looked like he was just issued a particle physics exam in third grade. Not saying Davis can't make the most of his opportunity, but we really should be careful what we wish for...

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
This really is eerily reminiscent of the Boller/Null era. EVERYONE was clamoring for Keith Null to get in the game and put Boller on the bench after Bulger got hurt. He was a big guy, strong arm, did this or that during preseason, and then came in and looked like he was just issued a particle physics exam in third grade. Not saying Davis can't make the most of his opportunity, but we really should be careful what we wish for...

I think we can all agree that we'd all much rather have Bradford.

Though I enjoy discussing this with my Ramsbros, lot better than thinking on what could have been. At least nobody is championing Clemens as better than Bradford like a certain place I could mention.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
lol. C'mon...

Seriously?
I shit you not.

To paraphrase, Clemens elevated the running game, elevated the defense, elevated the O-line and had a splendid game that only the evil Bradford's moms hate.

So you can obviously see they're pretty bummed about Bradford being out in their own twisted way.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
All I know is, Davis performed better with less than Clemens, and I think that warrants a shot.
I dont need to debate the merits of two players I hope are no longer on the team next year, but I do find that last line puzzling. When did Davis perfom better? Wasnt in any actual game, and certainly not in pre-season (this year). Again, this isnt about Clemens, but a concern that the Rams didnt want Davis, and could have had him all along on their PS. Now a guy who's been out of football completely for 8 weeks is ready to take snaps in a real game?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Great analogy.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
I dont need to debate the merits of two players I hope are no longer on the team next year, but I do find that last line puzzling. When did Davis perfom better? Wasnt in any actual game, and certainly not in pre-season (this year). Again, this isnt about Clemens, but a concern that the Rams didnt want Davis, and could have had him all along on their PS. Now a guy who's been out of football completely for 8 weeks is ready to take snaps in a real game?
Go look over Davis' preseason stats this year then compare them to Clemens, he blew him out of the water. Clemens had one good game against the Ravens and that's the only reason why he closed the gap on him. I'm not getting where everyone is saying Davis didn't do better than him, he did by a significant margin.

I'm not lobbying for him to start immediately, but Clemens doesn't inspire me in the slightest and nothing he's ever done ever has, so I'm not looking for him to be much better than he was in Seattle and if that continues and we're truly not giving up on this season something has to change.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Go look over Davis' preseason stats this year then compare them to Clemens, he blew him out of the water. Clemens had one good game against the Ravens and that's the only reason why he closed the gap on him. I'm not getting where everyone is saying Davis didn't do better than him, he did by a significant margin.

I'm not lobbying for him to start immediately, but Clemens doesn't inspire me in the slightest and nothing he's ever done ever has, so I'm not looking for him to be much better than he was in Seattle and if that continues and we're truly not giving up on this season something has to change.
Im really not debating Clemens vs Davis, that ship has long sailed. Davis was the #2, lost his spot, got cut and the team didnt even find him worthy of the PS. Miami dumped him after a week. And he's been off an nfl roster since. Thats worrisome to me.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Im really not debating Clemens vs Davis, that ship has long sailed. Davis was the #2, lost his spot, got cut and the team didnt even find him worthy of the PS. Miami dumped him after a week. And he's been off an nfl roster since. Thats worrisome to me.
He's a young guy, most people don't need QBs right now, and the people that do aren't going to put their trust in a guy who hasn't played a single NFL game yet, they go with vets like Leinart, Quinn, Young who have actually played before they go with a guy who hasn't got a game in yet. Outside of that, there's not really that m uch of a need for practice squad QBs is there? Seems like he's more a victim of bad circumstance.

Like I said before, not having gotten a shot doesn't make you a bad QB.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Well, he did play a big part in that potential game winning drive as he went 3/4 for 47 yards in that drive

And that would be relevant had they scored...but instead it was just three passes that brought his passer rating UP TO 36.8.

Also, I'd just like to point out that I am not in favor of starting Austin Davis per se...I just see the point in the column. If you are going to suck with a washed up "never has been"...why not suck with a "most likely never will be but still hasn't had his book written yet".

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He's a young guy, most people don't need QBs right now, and the people that do aren't going to put their trust in a guy who hasn't played a single NFL game yet, they go with vets like Leinart, Quinn, Young who have actually played before they go with a guy who hasn't got a game in yet. Outside of that, there's not really that m uch of a need for practice squad QBs is there? Seems like he's more a victim of bad circumstance.

Like I said before, not having gotten a shot doesn't make you a bad QB.
You answered your own question, the practice squad is exactly where you sign a young guy who hasnt played in a single nfl game yet. Thats where teams bury their young guys without costing a roster spot. If you think the guy has a future, but not good enough for the final 53, thats where he goes.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim

He threw 1 bad pass the second int the first one was clearly Cook's fault for quiting on the play. At the very least Cook has to try and knock the ball away from the defender.

Clemens also threw a couple of nice passes like the out to Pettis on third down, like the pass to Cook to get inside the 5 on the last play, like the pass to Austin again for a 3rd down conversion. Like the soft touch after scrambling to Pettis again a 3rd down conversion.

So as much as anyone wants to complain it sounds like sour grapes to me. We don't have a better option and Clemens has an opportunity to have his second full week with the 1's and a winnable game at home for his second start. It is time to get behind the guys we have.