Raiders sign Aldon Smith - Rams were interested

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Also lets not forget who our coach is exactly. Fisher has made his name as an idiot tamer. Definitely did better work on bigger idiots.

if anybody had a chance to straighten out Aldon I imagine it's Fisher.

I'm sorry, but there is no bigger idiot then Aldon Smith.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Damn... Aldon Smith and Khalil Mack is a scary pair o' pass-rushers. On par with Watt/Clowney.

iced

Damn... Aldon Smith and Khalil Mack is a scary pair o' pass-rushers. On par with Watt/Clowney.

Doubt that - Aldon Smith isn't much without Justin Smith holding the guard and tackle for 'em

FRO

Legend
Aldon doesn't have to really move by signing with Oakland. He is a talented player, but an idiot.

DenverRam

Starter
giphy.gif

lockdnram21

Legend
i just heard on nfl network that he has incentive based contract where he can make up to 8 mill. thats why he chose Raiders

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
Actually I find it appalling we and anyone else was looking to sign this piece of crap. He served 9 games last year suspended and is being investigated for another DUI (his third overall) and hit and run just a month ago... does nobody remember that? Wtf? He should get suspended for a year next at minimum. I'm actually disappointed the Rams are even mentioned with this kid until the current legal process has finished.

I guess I can't like this 436 times, eh ???

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
10% Less taxes, better defense, and probably would start in Dunbar's place.

Dunbar was cut. Ayers is starting. Smith was a 3-4 outside linebacker, basically a light defensive end in the 4-3 the Rams run. Most likely he would be competing with Chris Long anyway, and while he'd be very good at rushing the passer, I'm not sure he'd be an asset on run defense. I could be wrong of course. And of course, the whole train wreck of a life thing probably wouldn't help the Rams either.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not if it's a one year contract...

Actually, money not spent this year is added to next year's cap space. Although Snead tends to like using excess cap space to sign extensions with money counting for this year.

As @flv says, we can spend money this year, but it needs to be smart money. Smith as a 3-4 OLB is not a great fit for the team anyway, add in his issues and it's better to save the money - that is one or more young vets resigned next year. Players who don't have a long history of major behavioral issues.