Raiders sign Aldon Smith - Rams were interested

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
We were probably offering a cheaper one-year deal and the raiders probably topped it, and he gets to stay in Cali. Don't know if his head will be square on his shoulders yet but we shall see.

Zombie Slayer

You are entitled to nothing.
Name
Dave
Why would he not want to stick it to his former team that cut him? Probably got more money there though.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Why would he come to St. Louis? He would start as a Raider and probably earn more money in Oakland, and he gets to stay locally to where he's lived for the past 5 years or so.

Just imagine though. Fisher fixes Smith, we have Quinn and Smith as our DEs for the next 5+ years once Long leaves. That's crazy.

Psycho_X

Legend
Actually I find it appalling we and anyone else was looking to sign this piece of shit. He served 9 games last year suspended and is being investigated for another DUI (his third overall) and hit and run just a month ago... does nobody remember that? Wtf? He should get suspended for a year next at minimum. I'm actually disappointed the Rams are even mentioned with this kid until the current legal process has finished.

ram007

Starter
I am not happy Rams tried to sign this guy. He is trouble. #WastedTalent

Desperate times at Rams park?

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
I am not happy Rams tried to sign this guy. He is trouble. #WastedTalent

Desperate times at Rams park?

Low risk, high reward. We could just cut him later if he caused trouble. Why not get an elite player for basically nothing?

But I don't think he's necessarily a bad guy, he just can't stop drinking. He needs help. That's the exact type of thing Fisher can help provide. He's been very successful in that regard, more than most coaches, and I think it's worth the small risk.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Study long, study wrong...What did he do again? bunch of crazy stuff... Is he from the area?

LetsGoRams

Pro Bowler
Name
Thrasher
I would think the last thing this team needs is a head case defensive end...

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
Thought we had enough of this with our old (DE) Leonard Little. Smith has talent but he fits with the raiders. We are finally adding some class to our team with some real hard workers who just don't need the distraction or possible negative influence that might occur. Just keep bringing in the BEST home grown and hand picked talent. We have great potential on PS if they will really work hard they should be much better than 1st round talent in next years draft. Then keep piling up the GREAT drafts. If we go with minor injuries , no way we don't take over our division even as tough as it is.

ram007

Starter
Low risk, high reward. We could just cut him later if he caused trouble. Why not get an elite player for basically nothing?

But I don't think he's necessarily a bad guy, he just can't stop drinking. He needs help. That's the exact type of thing Fisher can help provide. He's been very successful in that regard, more than most coaches, and I think it's worth the small risk.

Agree to disagree. Don't need a guy on good guys team who is a serial arestee

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
According to JT the Rams never talked to him

Jim Thomas ‏@jthom1 24m24 minutes ago
Rams did discuss Aldon Smith, did their homework, but it never went very far.

Jim Thomas ‏@jthom1 22m22 minutes ago
It never reached the point w/Rams where they had conversation w/Aldon Smith.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron

Also lets not forget who our coach is exactly. Fisher has made his name as an idiot tamer. Definitely did better work on bigger idiots.

if anybody had a chance to straighten out Aldon I imagine it's Fisher.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That makes more sense. Elite player with elite issues. Local college, so natural to think he could come here, but in the end not worth it.

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
Rapoport is probably just reporting the PR spin from Aldon's agent. Agents always exaggerate the interest in their players from other teams. I trust JT's comment much more.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Rapoport is probably just reporting the PR spin from Aldon's agent. Agents always exaggerate the interest in their players from other teams. I trust JT's comment much more.

That and social media news reporting has killed real reporting. Now it's who can get someing up on Twitter or whatever the fastest, accuracy and facts be damned.

The internet is fantastic, but in it's wake it's left some bodies.