Raiders my ass...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

SoCalRam78

Pro Bowler
Name
SoCalRam78
Extremely overrated head coach. Did some good stuff early on with Oakland, but that's like close to 20 years ago. Foolishly gets credit for Tampa Super Bowl when all the metrics and eye test proved the offense was on par with the 2001 Tampa offense, and the defense in fact got better. After that, mediocrity. QB guru never could produce one in Tampa, never had a very good offense, and actually lost a lot of games with some very talented rosters.

Also, can see his personality rubbing players the wrong way. Unlike McVay, his humility and self awareness appear long gone. I'm sure he'll come in fairly arrogant.

Seems like a lot of this is monetary driven as well, his deal if fully guaranteed is absurd.

fearsomefour

Legend
His Raiders teams did quite well. Like I said, the Bucs' struggle had a lot to do with the organizational errors.

He's not an elite HC, but he's walking into a good situation in Oakland and is an above average to good HC (assuming he hasn't fallen off).
Looking forward to see what he does with a talented offense.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I definitely think Gruden is overrated. He is a big personality and a self promoter. He is a name that fans can get excited about, because he did take the Raiders to the AFC championship games. He made a good QB out of Gannon supposedly, but his lack of QB success in Tampa has me thinking Gannon was more of a Case Keenum, or Kirk Cousins type, and less of a Nick Cole's, or Brock Osweiler type.

Maybe Davis is thinking hiring Gruden is a great way to gets fans excited and retain the Oakland fanbase that he fears losing from leaving.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
His Raiders teams did quite well. Like I said, the Bucs' struggle had a lot to do with the organizational errors.

He's not an elite HC, but he's walking into a good situation in Oakland and is an above average to good HC (assuming he hasn't fallen off).

In Oakland his defense was horrendous as his defensive coordinator was Chuck Bresnahan (now dc at USF) and the Raiders defense was sub par at best...Then onto Tampa and Monty Kiffin was in place so Gruden only had to worry about the offense and thus it was the perfect match. Gruden learned his lesson as he's hired Paul Guenther as his defensive coordinator and IMO, a great hire.

Sorry Gentlemen love the thread by @UtahRam and it might take Gruden a year to adjust as the millennials love their cell phones in meetings and now during the football game, they love conversing about other things on the sidelines other than football, but and I know I'm biased being that Gruden is an alum of the great University of Dayton, that he will be very successful and have the Raiders competing at the highest level.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
My prediction for Golden Chain...

And I don't usually like to make predictions, but here goes.....

He is going to be the Offensive version of what Fisher was for us. You can use both meanings for the word offensive here.

He'll hover around 500... go through a number of coordinators that will be blamed for the shortcomings of the underachieving team and players... sign a bunch of FA has beens (Jon hates young players) who won't be worth their contracts... blame poor production on the move to Vegas... and the entire time he'll be oblivious to any criticisms as he walks around with his head in the clouds.

Oh, almost forgot... he'll do a lot of posing on the sideline with his pirate faces. Hopefully he won't be sporting that golden chain on the outside of his shirt anymore though.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
"What happens is Vegas, stays in Vegas". And if you don't believe me, you cans ask O.J. Simpson

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I think it's gonna work....he was McVay 10 years ago....really good offensive mind. He turned a couple QB's around...

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
More evil...they hired Tom Cable.

latest

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I think it's gonna work....he was McVay 10 years ago....really good offensive mind. He turned a couple QB's around...
We must be getting g old when 20 years feels like 10.
I remember watching that young kid call plays in Philly. His offense really stood out.
When he went to the Raiders and hand picked Rich Gannon, I started to have my doubts. Gannon was a career back up in KC. Gannon ended up being pretty damn good. Gruden took a guy nobody wanted and made him a very goid QB

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
When he went to the Raiders and hand picked Rich Gannon, I started to have my doubts. Gannon was a career back up in KC. Gannon ended up being pretty damn good. Gruden took a guy nobody wanted and made him a very goid QB
Gannon is an interesting story....I think I saw Gannon in the combine....when he first played for the Raiders...first thought...man, some guys are getting blackballed in the league, cause Rich could PLAY. Running around....ripping passes....Best offense I'd seen in some time...

Don't know how Gruden is gonna handle the new practice schedule...less time with his troops...and how he's gonna fix that defense (I'd start with moving Mack to MLB)....but I got a lil faith in Chucky....I expect a top 5 offense in 2018

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Like I said, the Bucs' struggle had a lot to do with the organizational errors
Yup, they were in cap hell and had traded multiple 1st and 2nd round picks to get him.... Hard to reload that way

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Gannon is an interesting story....I think I saw Gannon in the combine....when he first played for the Raiders...first thought...man, some guys are getting blackballed in the league, cause Rich could PLAY. Running around....ripping passes....Best offense I'd seen in some time...

Don't know how Gruden is gonna handle the new practice schedule...less time with his troops...and how he's gonna fix that defense (I'd start with moving Mack to MLB)....but I got a lil faith in Chucky....I expect a top 5 offense in 2018
I agree.
In addition, Gruden it's just plain good for the NFL.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If I were Gruden, I'd hire Fisher as a consultant... they seem like two peas in a pod:
Gruden's career winning % is .540
Extremely overrated head coach.
actually lost a lot of games with some very talented rosters.
I'm sure he'll come in fairly arrogant.
I definitely think Gruden is overrated.
He is a big personality and a self promoter. He is a name that fans can get excited about, because he did take the Raiders to the AFC championship games.

Well done, @Selassie I ... well done!
He is going to be the Offensive version of what Fisher was for us.
He'll hover around 500... go through a number of coordinators that will be blamed for the shortcomings of the underachieving team and players... sign a bunch of FA has beens (Jon hates young players) who won't be worth their contracts... blame poor production on the move to Vegas... and the entire time he'll be oblivious to any criticisms as he walks around with his head in the clouds.

I'm embarrassed to say I wanted Gruden as Rams HC... I've seen the light now!

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/01/18/raiders-announce-13-coaching-hires/

Raiders announce 13 coaching hires
Posted by Darin Gantt on January 18, 2018

The Raiders have been adding guys to their coaching staff along the way, and formalized the hires of 13 of them Thursday.

The team announced the new coaches en masse, many of whose names have already been reported.

One new name among the list is defensive line coach Mike Trgovac, who was let go as part of the defensive staff housecleaning in Green Bay. Trgovac had spent the previous nine years working there under Dom Capers, after the previous seven years in Carolina (six of those as defensive coordinator).

The release said that any “remaining staff additions will be announced at a later date,” which suggests that there could be some. They had previously announced offensive coordinator Greg Olson, defensive coordinator Paul Guenther and special teams coordinator Rich Bisaccia.

The full list includes Derrick Ansley (defensive backs), Edgar Bennett (wide receivers), Tim Berbenich (quality control – offense), Tom Cable (offensive line), Nick Holz (quality control – offense), David Lippincott (linebackers), Jim O’Neil (senior defensive assistant), Dave Razzano (director of football research), Jemal Singleton (running backs), Frank Smith (tight ends), Travis Smith (quality control – defense), and Byron Storer (assistant special teams).