Raiders hire Ken Norton Jr. as defensive coordinator

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/02/06/raiders-hire-ken-norton-jr-as-defensive-coordinator/

Raiders hire Ken Norton Jr. as defensive coordinator
Posted by Michael David Smith on February 6, 2015

kennorton.jpeg
AP

New Raiders head coach Jack Del Rio waited a long time to hire his new defensive coordinator, but now he’s got his man.

Ken Norton Jr. will be the defensive coordinator of the Raiders.

Norton is a longtime protege of Pete Carroll, having spent the last five years as the Seahawks’ linebackers coach and six years before that as a linebackers coach and assistant head coach under Carroll at USC. The Raiders job will be Norton’s first job with someone other than Carroll as his boss.

The 48-year-old Norton, son of the former heavyweight champion of the world, was a linebacker for the Cowboys from 1988 to 1993 and the 49ers from 1994 to 2000.

Norton’s departure is another reminder of how hard it is to keep together the kind of great coaching staff that the Seahawks had on the defensive side of the ball. Seattle has already lost defensive coordinator Dan Quinn, who became the head coach of the Falcons.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
I was under the impression that Dana Stubblefield was the one that said that. Is that incorrect?

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
I was under the impression that Dana Stubblefield was the one that said that. Is that incorrect?

I believe you're correct, but it was Norton Jr that punched the goal post. However, we instigated it. Todd Kinchen started it all at the old Busch stadium (punching the goal post after scoring).

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

No link for this one.

By MATT MAIOCCO/THE PRESS DEMOCRAT

SANTA CLARA -- Defensive tackle Dana Stubblefield is wanted for a crime he says he did not commit.

Stubblefield played five seasons for the ***** during a time in which they did not lose to the Rams, first in Los Angeles and later in St. Louis. Even as a member of the Washington Redskins, Stubblefield's team defeated the Rams.

He is 11-0 in his career against the Rams. But he says he never belittled the Rams. It is guilt by association, he said.

Rams receiver Isaac Bruce told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch this week that it was Stubblefield who first made the demeaning utterance "same old Rams" after the ***** beat the Rams 44-10 in 1995 with Elvis Grbac making his first career start.

"Not many people around here remember that phrase he coined," Bruce said.

But Stubblefield has a much different story. He said it was safety Tim McDonald who said "same old Rams" on the sideline that day for the cameras of NFL Films. Then, defensive end Tim Harris picked up on it and elaborated, "Same old sorry a-- Rams."

Stubblefield said he was standing next to Harris and that might be where the confusion started. Regardless, one thing is certain, Stubblefield does not think these are the same old Rams that the ***** defeated 17 consecutive times from 1990 to '98.

"No, I'm not going to start that," Stubblefield said

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
He said it was safety Tim McDonald who said "same old Rams" on the sideline that day for the cameras of NFL Films.
Man, I hope that jerk is never on our team.

His son is perfectly fine, but not him.

psxpaul

Rookie
Name
Paul
So DC Dan Quinn goes to Atlanta, LB Coach Norton goes to Oakland, and Secondary Coach becomes the new DC. That's a lot of turnover for their coaching staff in one season.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
No link for this one.

By MATT MAIOCCO/THE PRESS DEMOCRAT

SANTA CLARA -- Defensive tackle Dana Stubblefield is wanted for a crime he says he did not commit.

Stubblefield played five seasons for the ***** during a time in which they did not lose to the Rams, first in Los Angeles and later in St. Louis. Even as a member of the Washington Redskins, Stubblefield's team defeated the Rams.

He is 11-0 in his career against the Rams. But he says he never belittled the Rams. It is guilt by association, he said.

Rams receiver Isaac Bruce told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch this week that it was Stubblefield who first made the demeaning utterance "same old Rams" after the ***** beat the Rams 44-10 in 1995 with Elvis Grbac making his first career start.

"Not many people around here remember that phrase he coined," Bruce said.

But Stubblefield has a much different story. He said it was safety Tim McDonald who said "same old Rams" on the sideline that day for the cameras of NFL Films. Then, defensive end Tim Harris picked up on it and elaborated, "Same old sorry a-- Rams."

Stubblefield said he was standing next to Harris and that might be where the confusion started. Regardless, one thing is certain, Stubblefield does not think these are the same old Rams that the ***** defeated 17 consecutive times from 1990 to '98.

"No, I'm not going to start that," Stubblefield said
Wow, Tim huh? What a jerk. I hope the Rams never do something crazy like play his son in the secondary or anything.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Oh look. Another reason to hate on the Raiduhs. Too bad they are no longer good enough to hate.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I believe you're correct, but it was Norton Jr that punched the goal post. However, we instigated it. Todd Kinchen started it all at the old Busch stadium (punching the goal post after scoring).
JR was punching the goal posts before Kinchen did it.
Kinchen was simply mocking JR by stealing Jrs celebration.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
I went to school with Ken. I think he was in jr high school when I was in high school (it was a very small K-12 school in LA). When he was a kid, he never spoke. Quiet as a mouse. Bizarre for me to see him now.

jap

Legend
I don't know if Tim MacDonald actually said it. Nevertheless, his son came up with a new way to demean the '9ers---or at least one '9er---as today's 'Frisco TE Vernon Davis can attest. If Verno was on the Pats, he probably could have gotten Kraft to put pressure on Goodall to have TJMac banned for life for that unique tackle in TJ's rookie season. Talk about making a lasting impression!!!! :sneaky::ROFLMAO:

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
JR was punching the goal posts before Kinchen did it.
Kinchen was simply mocking JR by stealing Jrs celebration.

I shall defer to you but I only remember Kinchen doing it at the old Busch. Pizzed them off too.. lol

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I shall defer to you but I only remember Kinchen doing it at the old Busch. Pizzed them off too.. lol
Yeah it did.
It pumped me up as well.
Still lost that fucking game though.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
I'm just seeing another loss for the SeaCocks.
Hm I see it as addition by subtraction for them. Norton is a moron, should never be anything more than a position coach. Terrible move by the Raiders, you'd think they'd want the man in charge of X's and O's to be able to at least spell "X" and "O".

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
I don't know who coined the phrase but they were right. Unfortunately.

tempests

Hall of Fame

Norton did it twice in that game. Kinchen did after the first one.

Fortunately, the prick stayed with the 49ers long enough to get run over by the fearsome wrath of the GSOT.