Quick 'n dirty too-soon mock offseason

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I didn't have Mannion rated as a draftable prospect last year. So...a lot. And I like some of the QBs in this draft outside of Round 1. Although, they're probably not the best fits for us.
That's certainly a fair assessment, and if you don't see Mannion as having a future in the NFL, I totally can get your concern with my proposed mock. If you don't mind, where would you like to see the Rams draft a QB? As it stands right now, I see the realistic options being:

- Cook or Wentz at #18
- Hackenberg or Jones in the 2nd
- Prescott in the 3rd (may require a 2nd, though)
- Doughty or Brissett in the 4th (may require a 3rd)
- Hogan or Kessler in the 5th

Or, I suppose we could burn the 2017 1st round and our extra 2 to try and move up for Goff or Lynch.

Stel

Starter
I'd put Wentz's NFL path closer to Flacco than Bortles. I think Wentz is a little more mobile than either of them. He makes good decisions and protects the ball pretty well. With the Rams, he'd have a good running game and so wouldn't be expected to carry the team (a lot like what he had in college). I think Wentz could start in year 1 but he'd have some growing pains.

Stel

Starter
That's certainly a fair assessment, and if you don't see Mannion as having a future in the NFL, I totally can get your concern with my proposed mock. If you don't mind, where would you like to see the Rams draft a QB? As it stands right now, I see the realistic options being:

- Cook or Wentz at #18

Or, I suppose we could burn the 2017 1st round and our extra 2 to try and move up for Goff or Lynch.

As I've previously stated, I don't think we will take a QB at all. I think they are satisfied to move forward with the three they have (and that makes me and Baby Jesus cry).

However, IF they take one, for me it is:
1. Move up for Goff (I wouldn't move up for Lynch).
2. Wentz at #15 (or, God forbid, Cook if Wentz is gone).

I'm really not enamored with any of the other QBs being better than Mannion at this point and wouldn't take them unless I knew Mannion wouldn't develop (and I just don't know the answer to that question).

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
As I've previously stated, I don't think we will take a QB at all. I think they are satisfied to move forward with the three they have (and that makes me and Baby Jesus cry).

However, IF they take one, for me it is:
1. Move up for Goff (I wouldn't move up for Lynch).
2. Wentz at #15 (or, God forbid, Cook if Wentz is gone).

I'm really not enamored with any of the other QBs being better than Mannion at this point and wouldn't take them unless I knew Mannion wouldn't develop (and I just don't know the answer to that question).
That's basically my thinking. I've never been a fan of trading up in the draft - the Austin trade still bugs me - so #1 would be a bitter pill to swallow, but Goff's the only guy in the draft I think who can come in and have a reasonably good rookie season. I really don't want Cook... do NOT trust his game.

Athos

Legend
Not as I see it... Goff and Lynch are the only game 1 starters I see in this draft, and I see Lynch having serious year 1 growing pains. I like Wentz, but I think the best conceivable career path for him is Blake Bortles - starting and playing fairly poorly with a lot of turnovers year 1, rounding into nice shape year 2 - and that's with everything breaking right. Cook scares the hell out of me - screams Ryan Mallett, and I wouldn't like to see him as a starter in his rookie year.

I'm assuming those are the 4?

You're saying you'd pass on a Birtles type QB? Why!? This place confuses me more and more each day. Who the fuck cares about year one of a rookie QB. Few of them out up truly great years. But even a room could out produce the garbage QBing we had this season. More than that, if he pulls a Bortles level improvement by year two and we passed on yet again, another great QB, this franchise deserves to flounder in mediocrity.

Provided Wentz does well at the senior bowl, I may have him as my #2 QB or tied with Lynch.

This is a rather deep QB class. More so than most years. Love Treadwell, but he's not good enough to pass on some of these QBs.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
You're saying you'd pass on a Birtles type QB? Why!? This place confuses me more and more each day. Who the freak cares about year one of a rookie QB. Few of them out up truly great years. But even a room could out produce the garbage QBing we had this season. More than that, if he pulls a Bortles level improvement by year two and we passed on yet again, another great QB, this franchise deserves to flounder in mediocrity.

Provided Wentz does well at the senior bowl, I may have him as my #2 QB or tied with Lynch.

This is a rather deep QB class. More so than most years. Love Treadwell, but he's not good enough to pass on some of these QBs.
I'm saying he could be a Bortles-type QB, if everything goes right. Bortles is also helped out by Allen Robinson, Allen Hurns and Marquise Lee. We don't have any of them. I'm also saying that I think Mannion in year 2 should be better than Wentz in year 1, and was picked with a premium pick for a reason.

Basically, I don't want to burn our first round pick on a guy who, if all goes right, could be a good QB, but who likely is further away from NFL starter ready than last year's 3rd-rounder. Wentz has huge upside... but huge risk.

I believe we're a better team for 2016 and beyond adding Treadwell to play with Mannion/Daniel/(Keenum) than by adding Wentz to compete with Mannion to play with Britt/Austin/Marquez.

Athos

Legend
Drafting Wentz does not prevent us from adding Boyd, Doctson, Henry, etc...

Stel

Starter
Re-signed players:
- Trumaine Johnson, 4 years, $36mm
- Rodney McLeod, 3 years, $18mm
- Mark Barron, 3 years, $24mm
- William Hayes, 2 years, $10mm
- Cory Harkey, 2 years, $4mm
- Tim Barnes, 2 years, $5mm

Cuts:
- Jared Cook
- James Lauranaitis (sorry)
- Chris Long (sorry again)
- Nick Foles

UFAs signed:
- Mohamed Sanu, WR, 4 years, $27mm
- Dwayne Allen, TE, 4 years, $24mm
- Chase Daniel, QB 2 years, $24mm (Foles extension, basically)
- Garrett Hartley, K 3 years, $9mm

Franchise Jenkins and trade him for a 2nd round pick

Draft (only the first few rounds for now)
1 - Laquon Treadwell, WR
2a (PHI) - Hunter Henry, TE (or OJ Howard if Henry is gone)
2b (STL) - Maliek Collins, DT
2c (Jenkins) - Kentrell Brothers, MLB
3 - Max Tuerc, C

Given those offseason moves, I'd go in a bit different direction.

1. I don't see Daniel as the QB of the future, only a place holder. If I signed him, it would be instead of Keenum.
2. Given your signings and releases, we'd have a need for a DE, a DT, a MLB and a CB for the defense, and a QB, WR and TE for the offense.

Put me down for:
15: QB Carson Wentz
43: CB Artie Burns (Kendall Fuller if Burns is gone)
45: WR Tyler Boyd (Pharoh Cooper if Boyd is gone)
Extra 2nd from trade: DT Vernon Butler
3rd round: TE Bryce Williams (a bit high, but I like him)
4th round: DE James Cowser

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

- Cook or Wentz at #18

The Rams have no business leaving the first round without a QB.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Drafting Wentz does not prevent us from adding Boyd, Doctson, Henry, etc...
Nor does drafting Treadwell prevent us from adding Prescott, Jones, Hackenberg, Hogan, etc...

jjab360

Legend
Those are god awful QB prospects I want nothing to do with.
I have to agree here.

For me, it's Goff, Wentz, Cook, maybe Lynch or bust. I really don't see any other starter caliber QBs, the others are a mess. Wentz is mechanically erratic at times too, but his physical traits are off the charts and he doesn't seem to have the ego/work ethic problems that other physical freaks like Kaep/RG3 have.

I haven't been too impressed with what I'm seeing from Lynch though, eerily Foles-esque at times. Worried about his arm strength and doesn't seem to have much anticipation like the other 3, which is critical for someone who floats the ball as much as he does. His footwork in the pocket also reminds me of Foles tbh.

I'm gonna keep watching a ton of all the QBs in this draft class though, this could be a make it or break it year for the position and I'm interested in seeing if Snisher see this class the same way I do.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have to agree here.

For me, it's Goff, Wentz, Cook, maybe Lynch or bust. I really don't see any other starter caliber QBs, the others are a mess. Wentz is mechanically erratic at times too, but his physical traits are off the charts and he doesn't seem to have the ego/work ethic problems that other physical freaks like Kaep/RG3 have.

I haven't been too impressed with what I'm seeing from Lynch though, eerily Foles-esque at times. Worried about his arm strength and doesn't seem to have much anticipation like the other 3, which is critical for someone who floats the ball as much as he does. His footwork in the pocket also reminds me of Foles tbh.

I'm gonna keep watching a ton of all the QBs in this draft class though, this could be a make it or break it year for the position and I'm interested in seeing if Snisher see this class the same way I do.

I wouldn't be concerned about that. He has a strong arm. Not Wentz strong but I'd say it's stronger than Cook's. Comparable to Roethlisberger.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
There are four. I want one of the four.
OK, so you are all-in on either trading up to the top of the draft for Goff, trading up to wherever he's projected by the end of the process for Lynch, or taking Cook or Wentz at #18. Other than not really liking Cook, I would certainly be OK with any of those (not that I have a say in the matter).