Quick 'n dirty too-soon mock offseason

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Re-signed players:
- Trumaine Johnson, 4 years, $36mm
- Rodney McLeod, 3 years, $18mm
- Mark Barron, 3 years, $24mm
- William Hayes, 2 years, $10mm
- Cory Harkey, 2 years, $4mm
- Tim Barnes, 2 years, $5mm

Cuts:
- Jared Cook
- James Lauranaitis (sorry)
- Chris Long (sorry again)
- Nick Foles

UFAs signed:
- Mohamed Sanu, WR, 4 years, $27mm
- Dwayne Allen, TE, 4 years, $24mm
- Chase Daniel, QB 2 years, $24mm (Foles extension, basically)
- Garrett Hartley, K 3 years, $9mm

Franchise Jenkins and trade him for a 2nd round pick

Draft (only the first few rounds for now)
1 - Laquon Treadwell, WR
2a (PHI) - Hunter Henry, TE (or OJ Howard if Henry is gone)
2b (STL) - Maliek Collins, DT
2c (Jenkins) - Kentrell Brothers, MLB
3 - Max Tuerc, C

jjab360

Legend
If our solution to the passing game next year is giving a backup UDFA QB with 1 TD to his name in 7 years 12 million a year and a starting job, I give up...

FRO

Legend
I like Chase at 2 years 8 million, and paired with a first round draft choice to compete with along with Mannion.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
We drafted a QB last year. Daniel, Keenum and Mannion to compete for the job.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Rams cannot afford to come out of this draft without a QB. They gotta put a priority on the position and if Mannion kills it and wins the job and turns into an elite QB you trade the kid you just drafted later.

There's always another team without a QB. Stack that room with talent IMO.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I like Chase at 2 years 8 million, and paired with a first round draft choice to compete with along with Mannion.

This^ and This^ again!
raw

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Rams cannot afford to come out of this draft without a QB. They gotta put a priority on the position and if Mannion kills it and wins the job and turns into an elite QB you trade the kid you just drafted later.

"Our roster has too much talent at the QB position" ... said no GM ever. ;)

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'll be happy if we come away with Daniel...but not at $12 million a year. $5 million a year at most imo. And even if we sign him, I still think we have to draft a QB early on.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
I'll be happy if we come away with Daniel...but not at $12 million a year. $5 million a year at most imo. And even if we sign him, I still think we have to draft a QB early on.
I figure there's 3 guys in this draft who are better prospects than Mannion - Goff, Lynch and Wentz. I'm not willing to give up Treadwell to take Wentz in the 1st, and the guys in the 2nd - because I think Wentz goes mid-1st - are not better than Mannion. Cardale Jones? Connor Cook (who will be a 1, but I hate his game)? Christian Hackenberg? Mayyyyyyyyybe Dak Prescott, who I liked before the 2015 draft, but I don't want to take a QB for the sake of taking a QB. This is not a good QB class.

Daniel might be cheaper, I just used Foles dollars. He did make nearly $5m a year as a pure backup.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey

But what QB? This draft sucks for QB talent. I don't believe in taking a "bad" player just to draft a position, and the only way we get Wentz is at #18. No thanks on Cook, Jones, Hackenberg, etc. etc. etc.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
That's either Wentz or Cook at this point, and I'd take Treadwell to be the top WR with Mannion/Daniel/Keenum over Wentz and a bag of wet dog hair over Cook.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
But what QB? This draft sucks for QB talent. I don't believe in taking a "bad" player just to draft a position, and the only way we get Wentz is at #18. No thanks on Cook, Jones, Hackenberg, etc. etc. etc.

But you're ok with just adding Chase Daniel???

resized_frank-the-tank-meme-generator-i-like-you-but-you-re-crazy-50d95c.jpg

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
But you're ok with just adding Chase Daniel???

resized_frank-the-tank-meme-generator-i-like-you-but-you-re-crazy-50d95c.jpg
I think our situation is we have Mannion as the "QB of the Future," and we need a vet with the right attributes to compete with him. A Fitzpatrick, but younger. I like Daniel because his strengths are that he's accurate, he reads the field fairly quickly, and that he has a fast release. To me he's Keenum++. And the QB FAs I like better than him are unlikely to actually see full free agency or come to play for the Rams.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I figure there's 3 guys in this draft who are better prospects than Mannion - Goff, Lynch and Wentz. I'm not willing to give up Treadwell to take Wentz in the 1st, and the guys in the 2nd - because I think Wentz goes mid-1st - are not better than Mannion. Cardale Jones? Connor Cook (who will be a 1, but I hate his game)? Christian Hackenberg? Mayyyyyyyyybe Dak Prescott, who I liked before the 2015 draft, but I don't want to take a QB for the sake of taking a QB. This is not a good QB class.

Daniel might be cheaper, I just used Foles dollars. He did make nearly $5m a year as a pure backup.

He got $10 million over 3 years. That's $3.3 million.(rounded) Whether you're going to start him or use him as a backup doesn't really matter when we're discussing what he'll get paid. You're paying him what the market dictates. The market isn't going to dictate $12 million.

Foles was a mistake.

As for being willing to give up Treadwell, he's a talented kid but WRs pale in comparison to QBs in terms of value. Seems like putting the cart before the horse to me. But you also are significantly higher on Mannion that I am.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
He got $10 million over 3 years. That's $3.3 million.(rounded) Whether you're going to start him or use him as a backup doesn't really matter when we're discussing what he'll get paid. You're paying him what the market dictates. The market isn't going to dictate $12 million.

Foles was a mistake.

As for being willing to give up Treadwell, he's a talented kid but WRs pale in comparison to QBs in terms of value. Seems like putting the cart before the horse to me. But you also are significantly higher on Mannion that I am.
I'm curious, because everyone has different opinions, who you like in this draft as a better prospect than Mannion. I put Goff, Lynch and Wentz over him, but the rest of the QB class just makes me say "Meh, no starters in this group." It's less my thinking Mannion is particularly special - although I'm intrigued by his NFL future - and more my thinking there's no QB in this draft outside round 1 worth a tinker's piss.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler

This draft actually doesn't suck for QB's. There are around 4 guys who could probably start for us game 1.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm curious, because everyone has different opinions, who you like in this draft as a better prospect than Mannion. I put Goff, Lynch and Wentz over him, but the rest of the QB class just makes me say "Meh, no starters in this group." It's less my thinking Mannion is particularly special - although I'm intrigued by his NFL future - and more my thinking there's no QB in this draft outside round 1 worth a tinker's pee pee.

I didn't have Mannion rated as a draftable prospect last year. So...a lot. And I like some of the QBs in this draft outside of Round 1. Although, they're probably not the best fits for us.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
To be honest, I'm with you on the QBs in this year's draft - I actually had Mannion rated quite high last year and was stoked when we drafted him - I would like to see him take the field next year - I haven't seen a QB this that's made me go - "thats the guy for us".

I guess we'll see what happens with the Rams and their new OC ;)

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
This draft actually doesn't suck for QB's. There are around 4 guys who could probably start for us game 1.
Not as I see it... Goff and Lynch are the only game 1 starters I see in this draft, and I see Lynch having serious year 1 growing pains. I like Wentz, but I think the best conceivable career path for him is Blake Bortles - starting and playing fairly poorly with a lot of turnovers year 1, rounding into nice shape year 2 - and that's with everything breaking right. Cook scares the hell out of me - screams Ryan Mallett, and I wouldn't like to see him as a starter in his rookie year.

I'm assuming those are the 4?