Quick look at the 9ers matchup

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Offensive stats:
Rushing - 18th in ypg, 16th in yards per rush.
Passing - 31st in ypg (only Rams are worse), 29th in sacks allowed.

Defensive stats:
vs Rushing - 20th in ypg.
vs Passing - 31st in ypg, 26th in QBR allowed, 18th in sacks.

The passing game is what is killing the 9ers. Being last vs the pass is a sure way to be giving up a lot of points which they are: 25.7 points per game allowed. Being last in passing is a sure way to be terrible in scoring which they are: 14.7 points per game. To give you an idea how bad 14.7 points per game is, the next team above them is the Rams offense at 18 points per game.

Matching up their weaknesses in the passing game, from Krapperdick's inability to read the field and the 9er OL's inability to pass block to the Rams' strengths in bringing the heat and mixing coverages/looks means an enormous advantage to the Rams in this matchup.

The only real positive in this matchup for the 9ers is their running game. It is respectable given the status of their passing game, and the Rams have struggled vs the rush from time to time. If there is a way to attack this Rams defense it is on the ground with a power run game. So the Rams defense will need to be on its game vs the run.

Offensively the Rams should be able to get Gurley going once again, I really don't see any issues with them gashing that front given that they've done it against the Cardinals. Then there's the passing game where the Rams' sorry passing attack should get healthier for at least this matchup.

This game is a pretty big mismatch in the Rams favor from where I'm sitting.

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert
Offensively the Rams should be able to get Gurley going once again, I really don't see any issues with them gashing that front given that they've done it against the Cardinals. Then there's the passing game where the Rams' sorry passing attack should get healthier for at least this matchup.

To your overall post which seems to put this as a "We should win handily column" this is a division game, Niners will be hyped, and will not go down easily particularly on defense..

To the specific portion quoted above; they still have Bowman/Reid and they, because of our anemic passing attack, will load the box and treat Gurley like AP with C. Ponder at QB. This with the fact that A Bethea is on the IR we must successfully attack the intermediate & deep middle via the passing game. If we do not we will lose this game.

jjab360

Legend
They're not a good team at all and as long as we don't overlook them like we did the Redskins this should be an easy W.

jjab360

Legend
To your overall post which seems to put this as a "We should win handily column" this is a division game, Niners will be hyped, and will not go down easily particularly on defense..

To the specific portion quoted above; they still have Bowman/Reid and they, because of our anemic passing attack, will load the box and treat Gurley like AP with C. Ponder at QB. This with the fact that A Bethea is on the IR we must successfully attack the intermediate & deep middle via the passing game. If we do not we will lose this game.
No matter how they stack the box, I just don't see how they stop our running game as it is now. Cigs and Boras have schemed such an effective run game and Gurley and Tavon are executing it to perfection. So much misdirection with Tavon and then it's impossible to tell whether we're going to come out man or zone blocking on any given play. And even if you do play it correctly and all your defensive players fill their gaps correctly, you have to hope you can drag behind Gurley long enough for your teammates to get their and gang tackle him, and you have to make sure you don't get your ankles broken by Tavon.

Needless to say, I'm pretty excited about the rest of this season.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Valid points. Division game plus the Niners being like a wounded/cornered animal means they'll give it all they have. I also think they will load the box and dare the Rams to beat them over the top.

But after that last game I have to think Cigs makes the adjustment with some vertical hot reads. The offensive output vs the Browns was very disappointing, much like the Skins game in that they loaded the box and sat on the more horizontal hots and checkdowns the entire first half. Also I have to think Cigs is smart enough to get Quick rolling in this game. Why that hasn't happened yet baffles me. Before he was hurt last season he was a difference maker even when teams knew the Rams were going to him. IMO the way forward for Foles as targets, the guys they can count on, are Gurley, Austin, Quick, Bailey. So my hope is Quick/Bailey get some serious opportunities on hot reads in this game.

IMO this is exactly like the Browns game: if the Rams want to be a playoff team they have to beat what is a lesser team.

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert
But after that last game I have to think Cigs makes the adjustment with some vertical hot reads. The offensive output vs the Browns was very disappointing, much like the Skins game in that they loaded the box and sat on the more horizontal hots and checkdowns the entire first half. Also I have to think Cigs is smart enough to get Quick rolling in this game. Why that hasn't happened yet baffles me. Before he was hurt last season he was a difference maker even when teams knew the Rams were going to him. IMO the way forward for Foles as targets, the guys they can count on, are Gurley, Austin, Quick, Bailey. So my hope is Quick/Bailey get some serious opportunities on hot reads in this game.

I agree with your thoughts.

A thing that has puzzled me is the lack of the seam routers to Cook or anybody else in the slot. They were a good thing for us over the last couple of years.

Is that throw is one of Foles limitations or a scheme decision of Cigs?

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
It's a lot harder to run away with games when the two teams know each other very well. Expect a battle just like the Seattle and Arizona games.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
A lot of confidence in this thread, which is great for a change. Personally, I see this game as a slobber knocker (like all Rams 9ers games). Luckily the Rams will not be taking this match up as lightly as some in here, haha, but I would like to see this team win....oh I dunno...TWO games in a row before I start calling any match up so favorable. Thats just me.

fearsomefour

Legend
I don't think the Rams are in a place to say any win is going to be easy....not until the offense becomes more consistent. The Whiners are not what they used to be for sure, but, they have enough pieces on D to keep the game close if the Rams don't do something. The Rams need to try and get something going downfield in the passing game early in this game. Its seems like the only thing we see from the Rams in the passing game is passing traveling under 10 yards from the line of scrimmage or deep passes....want some intermediate passes.
I think the Rams will continue to be very conservative on O as long as the D is playing this well. Things will get interesting when the Rams fall behind 10-0 in a game. I don't think that will be this week. Notching another in division win, home win and most importantly for this team, back to back wins will be great.
Accounting for Lynch is where Id start on O.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
The only real positive in this matchup for the 9ers is their running game.
If you take out the QB rushes then the 49ers running game is one of the worst in the NFL. Of course there is always the rule of "any given Sunday", but any 49ers positives are lipstick on a pig -- the Rams should beat the crap out of this pathetic team, no excuses.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
No matter how they stack the box, I just don't see how they stop our running game as it is now. Cigs and Boras have schemed such an effective run game and Gurley and Tavon are executing it to perfection. So much misdirection with Tavon and then it's impossible to tell whether we're going to come out man or zone blocking on any given play. And even if you do play it correctly and all your defensive players fill their gaps correctly, you have to hope you can drag behind Gurley long enough for your teammates to get their and gang tackle him, and you have to make sure you don't get your ankles broken by Tavon.

Needless to say, I'm pretty excited about the rest of this season.

Yes me too on the bolded part, it's looking good!

If the 49ers stack the box they expose that shitty pass defense and we will see Cook finally emerge.......haha I kid I kid!!! Austin, Bailey and the rest will KILL them for that. Play action will fuck up those plans in a hurry. If they have to play the Rams straight up Gurley and Austin will both have big days.

Yeah this is a division game, but look what SEA and AZ did to them. 20-3 and 47-7.

It's a division game, and so was ATL and NO back in the day LOL. The 49ers are melting down and you know what they remind me of?

The 2004 Rams who were running on fumes and a few lucky breaks.

The Rams are 9 point favorites. And right now I see them being the underdog only two more times this year, @SEA and @CIN.

The 49ers have a good chance to be embarrassed this Sunday and that pleases me.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
It's a lot harder to run away with games when the two teams know each other very well. Expect a battle just like the Seattle and Arizona games.
THIS^ is what I expect!! With the same results. A Rams WIN!!:D
I also expect at Least 6 Sacks!!
_flamethrower_.gif

QUINN.jpg

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
Until our offense plays with consistency I just can't say anything is easy. Cleveland should of been easier than it was even though we pulled away in the end.
San Fran should be a win but division games are always tough.

The biggest thing, IMO is stopping the Jeckle and Hyde starts. We need to come out executing off the bat. We can't let bad teams hang around.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
I agree with your thoughts.

A thing that has puzzled me is the lack of the seam routers to Cook or anybody else in the slot. They were a good thing for us over the last couple of years.

Is that throw is one of Foles limitations or a scheme decision of Cigs?
Honestly, they typically haven't had the time to reach seams between the zones.

It's been said in a lot of threads here, we need to start taking yards on quick slant options, assuming that we do have someone who can get open in tight man coverage on a quick slant.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
To things matchup wise in my mind are that the Rams secondary has always had a hard time stopping Boldin but he doesn't have much help anymore and while the 9ers have been pretty good at running the ball the Rams have been able to stop the bigger power backs, its the fast slashing backs that give them trouble. I don't think the defense will have too hard of a time stopping the 9ers, it will be up to Gurley and the offense to keep up their end.

rams2050

Starter
If they stack the box and Austin and Gurley are unable to break free and then our passing game can't get going, why not throw a three-fer at them in the form of Austin, Gurley AND Bailey maybe being used in the jet sweep category. Poor whiners wouldn't know WHERE to look next. Iceholes!

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
If the 49ers stack the box they expose that crappy pass defense and we will see Cook finally emerge
Naw Les.....I wanna see a bunch of this....He's ready to breakout...I'm telling you...not one dropped pass this week....not one...

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
the Rams secondary has always had a hard time
This is a great point, JJ especially has looked foolish against them in the recent past, so this is the perfect opportunity for him and the secondary to put the exclamation point on their early season success by picking off Krapperdouche several times and strangling the life out of any passing game. Time to put our foot on the Whiners' neck and knock out any glimmer of hope they have for this season.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
This is a great point, JJ especially has looked foolish against them in the recent past, so this is the perfect opportunity for him and the secondary to put the exclamation point on their early season success by picking off Krapperdouche several times and strangling the life out of any passing game. Time to put our foot on the Whiners' neck and knock out any glimmer of hope they have for this season.

With the loss of Greg Roman the Niners became a dumb offensive team. Losing Harbaugh they became a team without the driving, high expectations from the top. This is not the same team that has given the Rams fits, so yeah I will be very surprised if our defense does not dominate.

Right now the 9ers gameplan undoubtedly consists of getting turnovers from the Rams offense, and running the F out of the ball. As long as they don't do that on Sunday the Rams should get that W.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
They're not a good team at all and as long as we don't overlook them like we did the Redskins this should be an easy W.

I've seen this type of comment posted on here many times since that game and I take issue with it. I don't believe the Rams coaching staff and players overlook anyone. Yes, they came out flat and a lot of things went wrong for them in a hurry but I believe it was against an underrated opponent on the road. Those things happen to even good teams from time to time. It's not like they didn't practice, scheme, and watch game film the week before the game.

As far as the upcoming game against the 49ers game goes: if I was coaching the 49ers I would tell Kaepernick to get the ball out quick, rely on his running game, and do his thing and run whenever he sees an opening. Trying to turn this guy into a pocket passer has been a disaster. Kaepernick let loose still scares me. Kaepernick in the pocket does not. The Rams should keep him in the pocket and dare him to beat them with his arm.

Like any NFL QB Foles can be rattled and forced into mistakes, especially with an inexperienced O-line. To rely on stopping Gurley alone is a mistake. They may do so during the first half but then it will be lights out in the second half. The man picks up speed and power and the opposing defense loses steam as the game goes on. We've seen this three games in a row. Someone else like Tavis Austin or Brian Quci will burn them.

The only way the Rams lose this game is by committing too many turnovers and with lots of stupid penalties. This is the type of game if we don't shoot ourselves in the foot repeatedly, we should win. To have Fisher outcoached by Tomsula would be a travesty.

We need to punch them in the mouth early and extinguish any confidence they may have left.