Quick and his lack of snaps...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
You know, if you go back and watch his production last season before his injury, Brian Quick was an impact player. Teams knew the Rams were going to him but he still was making plays, moving the chains, just making a consistent difference. The dude was enjoying a true breakout season. Well, at least for how long it lasted.

So the more I think about it, the more confusing it is that the Rams haven't immediately installed him back into things in an effort to get him rolling again. And, yes, I get it, that there's only one ball and we're clamoring for Austin and Bailey to get more snaps in the passing game. But I still think it's a strange deal that the Rams did not instantly push to get that guy they saw briefly last season back into it.

I know many of you are going to list injury as the potential reason why. And you're probably right. But the guy was cleared to play only to sit for what, 1 or 2 games? Way I see it he should be that other playmaker who is added to the mix with Austin and Gurley, that guy who will mismatch all over the joint on a lesser DB. Put him and Bailey in there on a routine basis, and subtract Cook as we have beat to death, and I think this offense might finally take off and actually stay productive.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I just have to think it's the injury and, perhaps, his mental ability to not play scared he'll reinjure it.

That's the only possible reason that I can come up with.

beej

Rookie
I wonder if not being able to practice, since cignetti took over effected him. I know that he was slow to catch on to Schottie's playbook. I don't know what cignetti has done in the form of changing things but they did say that they were going to make some changes. Just some thoughts.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It has to be the shoulder, otherwise he would be in there. Probably still experiencing some discomfort. Fisher never discusses injuries. Too bad... it is a contract year for Quick, I believe.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Hopefully we will see more of quick now that the Bye is over!

FRO

Legend
Put him in there and throw him the ball. We need to really get him going. Go with Quick and Austin outside and Bailey in the slot. Don't rotate receivers and let these three get in rhythm.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Quick should be getting back to form by this next game, you'd think. Cook gets a lot of snaps in the slot and even out wide. I think we'd be better served putting Quick in there for all those snaps and getting him some work. He still can create some of those physical mismatches if he's healthy and he shouldn't be nearly as bad, drops wise. And he can block well.

Now, Quick can't do that in-line or H-back tight end stuff that Cook fails miserably at, but we can replace that in other places.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I wonder if not being able to practice, since cignetti took over effected him. I know that he was slow to catch on to Schottie's playbook. I don't know what cignetti has done in the form of changing things but they did say that they were going to make some changes. Just some thoughts.
They say Cignetti simplified things.

(kinda harsh here)... If Quick is that thick, then...

Big Willie

Starter
Fisher said on a number of occasions that Quick was coming along...my translation, doesn't know the playbook, still unhealthy, or hesitant about injury. To me the Givens move was as much about Quick as anything. Quick is in the last year of his rookie deal. The Rams have to decide whether or not they want him under a second deal. With Givens ahead of Quick on the field, it was hard for Quick to get snaps and see if he could capture his pre-injury form. The bye week gave Quick time to work with Foles, study the playbook and be ready for the stretch. I think we will now see if Quickie is a 2016 keeper.

V3

Hall of Fame
They keep insisting he's not injured so what else could it be? Him not being able to grasp the new offense despite it using similar verbiage. If it's not that then they need to come out and say he's sill bothered by the injury because I'm sure Quick would rather people think he's still hurt than think he's too dumb to grasp the offense.

Big Game

Living The Dream
I think the simple fact that the Rams talked about shopping Cook shows that after the bye those targets may be going to Quick. At least that is my hope.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Throw him in the mix and either he sinks or swims. No sugar coating anything, either he can be a productive player rest of the year or let him walk.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He's only played two games since last season. He's being eased in. If he gets 4-5 catches this week then he'll be more involved going forward

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
He came back from a career ender guys, just because he's not unhealthy doesn't mean he's completely just going to shrug it and the rust off immediately, even Gurley was held up by his ACL for a little while.

I don't mean to sound snippy, so excuse me if this does, but what in the world made you guys think he was going to shrug off such a major injury that it should have ended his career like it was nothing in the span of 2 games? Just because you wanted him to?

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
He came back from a career ender guys, just because he's not unhealthy doesn't mean he's completely just going to shrug it and the rust off immediately, even Gurley was held up by his ACL for a little while.

I don't mean to sound snippy, so excuse me if this does, but what in the world made you guys think he was going to shrug off such a major injury that it should have ended his career like it was nothing in the span of 2 games? Just because you wanted him to?

I like snippy.:argue:

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
In a nutshell Quick missed much of the offseason plus he has a new QB, a rebuilt offense, and a rebuilt shoulder.

I would like to see more of the 2014 Quick but the WR pecking order was established in the preseason and that has relegated Quick to the the fourth option at WR (fifth option if you count Cook). Britt and Tavon are the starters and Bailey has earned more playing time. Quick is probably the best blocker of the all the WR's but who does he he bump in the base set? Having Tavon on the field with Gurley has been a very effective combo that opens up the field for the running game so that would probably mean you would need to see less Britt and Cook in order to see more of Quick.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Probably a combination of a couple things. That was not your basic shoulder injury by all accounts. That probably has some to do with it. But IMO the biggest issue is that Quick's zone is the medium route. There has been woefully little opportunity to drop back and let that play develop. I personally am not expecting much out of Quick until our O-line starts keeping defenders out of Foles grill in less than 2 seconds. If they are able to build a decent pocket for Foles, I expect to see Quick get some targets.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Probably a combination of a couple things. That was not your basic shoulder injury by all accounts. That probably has some to do with it. But IMO the biggest issue is that Quick's zone is the medium route. There has been woefully little opportunity to drop back and let that play develop. I personally am not expecting much out of Quick until our O-line starts keeping defenders out of Foles grill in less than 2 seconds. If they are able to build a decent pocket for Foles, I expect to see Quick get some targets.

BINGO!

RamzFanz

Damnit
But the guy was cleared to play only to sit for what, 1 or 2 games?

All season. He was cleared in TC. It's been very frustrating just because we have no idea why. He looked good on Sunday running his routes. That pass he dropped was a sweet move for a 1st down if he hangs on. But he clearly has rust and that's either on Fisher for waiting too long or Quick just wasn't ready.

He has played in two games with his first targets last week.

I have big hopes for a breakout game against the Browns.

I wonder if not being able to practice, since cignetti took over effected him.

He practiced all of TC. First with the "no hit" yellow beanie and then without.

Him not being able to grasp the new offense despite it using similar verbiage.

I don't think this is it myself because if he could grasp Schotty's, this is similar but easier, so it just doesn't make sense to me. He's been learning and practising for almost 3 months and longer if you add in OTAs.

He was a very active part of the O in TC.

He did take a shot in TC that he clearly didn't like. I'm wondering if that slowed his recovery or shook him up? But then he went on to be fully cleared for full contact after that in TC so it doesn't add up.

It's a mystery that will come out one day I suppose.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Whatever the reason, I have high hopes for him this season. If they protect Foles, those two are a great match. Foles will throw long "go up and get it" balls and both Quick and Britt are good matches for that type of play.