Question marks going into the season?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I know it's a little premature and all, because the draft might shore up some areas or at least minimize the concerns you might have going into 2013 ... but, what ARE you concerned about at this point?

My question marks are probably the same as everyone's. I'd really like to know that we're going to solve the GAPING hole at safety, and have an answer to the departure of Amendola. But. Amendola leaving actually has me a little excited to see Bradford HAVE to spread the ball around and find himself a new go-to guy.

Other than that, I'm a little concerned about the receiver position in general, but that's an ongoing trend for several years now.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
Good question X.

Agree with you, what ARE we doing at safety. Obviously a very deep draft for that position. You can only assume that will be at least one of the picks. I was actually thinking the same thing about Amendola. Hopefully Bradford starts to spread it around a little more. I expect Givens to get even better and I really hope the light bulb comes on for Quick this year also. He has the physical tools, just needs to go play to his abilities. Think Cook is going to be a huge pick up as well. I think the Jets trade means Austin is probably gone so still concerned about adding more weapons for SB.

I'm still a little concerned about guard position. Would be really happy to see Warmack slip to us. Also a little worried about the CB depth. Think we need to add a little there also.

That all said, I feel better about this year than I have in quite some time.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
bwdenverram said:
Good question X.

Agree with you, what ARE we doing at safety. Obviously a very deep draft for that position. You can only assume that will be at least one of the picks. I was actually thinking the same thing about Amendola. Hopefully Bradford starts to spread it around a little more. I expect Givens to get even better and I really hope the light bulb comes on for Quick this year also. He has the physical tools, just needs to go play to his abilities. Think Cook is going to be a huge pick up as well. I think the Jets trade means Austin is probably gone so still concerned about adding more weapons for SB.

I'm still a little concerned about guard position. Would be really happy to see Warmack slip to us. Also a little worried about the CB depth. Think we need to add a little there also.

Guard's a good one too, but I'm not *as* concerned about that.

Here's a question. And dig deep now.

Do you feel better about going into 2013 (off of a 7-8-1 season), than you did going into 2011 (off of a 7-9 season)?
I remember being pretty stoked about our off-season activity in 2011, and thought we were gonna be badass.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
The Dude said:
bwdenverram said:
Good question X.

Guard's a good one too, but I'm not *as* concerned about that.

Here's a question. And dig deep now.

Do you feel better about going into 2013 (off of a 7-8-1 season), than you did going into 2011 (off of a 7-9 season)?
I remember being pretty stoked about our off-season activity in 2011, and thought we were gonna be badass.

To be honest, YES, I feel better about this year than after 7-9. Reason being is I think our defense is closer to being elite even though we had good stats that year.. I also think even though it's not a huge difference, our offense was better last year also. More than anything, as much as I liked Spags, I never got the same feeling of comfort with him as I do with Fisher. Of course, having 2 first round pics this year sure doesn't hurt. I think the talent level we have now is just that much better than it was 3 years ago. Sure, we had a few pieces in place, but not to the extent we do now. I think if we hit this draft like last year we are really going to shock some people THIS year. I firmly believe we will be a consistent playoff team over the next 5 years (and hopefully beyond)

bluecoconuts

Legend
I'm with you, I'm interested in seeing what they do at S. I'm interested in seeing what we do at WR as well as how the players we do have progress. If twitter is any indication they've been working pretty hard in the offseason.

OLB is another area I'm interested in seeing how they improve, and if Williams improves to what most thought he would be a few years ago before being prematurely released.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
bwdenverram said:
To be honest, YES, I feel better about this year than after 7-9. Reason being is I think our defense is closer to being elite even though we had good stats that year.. I also think even though it's not a huge difference, our offense was better last year also. More than anything, as much as I liked Spags, I never got the same feeling of comfort with him as I do with Fisher. Of course, having 2 first round pics this year sure doesn't hurt. I think the talent level we have now is just that much better than it was 3 years ago. Sure, we had a few pieces in place, but not to the extent we do now. I think if we hit this draft like last year we are really going to shock some people THIS year. I firmly believe we will be a consistent playoff team over the next 5 years (and hopefully beyond)
Yeah, I was a Spags fan too. I thought he was a really good teacher and a great X's and O's guy. But Fisher has that something extra. Well, two things actually. Experience and the ability to really get a read on his team's camaraderie level.

Snead's just a huge leap forward from Devaney, and that's no knock on Devaney either. Billy D was an obvious upgrade from the previous decade's worth of shitty draft records, but this guy is on a whole different level. Plus he and Fisher appear to see eye-to-eye on everything. Billy D and Spags had, I guess, different philosophies about player development and it showed with some questionable roster decisions as well as coaching hires.

Ah well. Onward & upward.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
My biggest ?'s are still on the offensive side.
In order:

-OLine pass protection. Will J.Long be a rock? Will Saffold transition smoothly? Guard help?

-WR. I like Givens and Cook as difference makers. Thats it. We dont know what we're going to get from the rest.

-RB. Is Pead ready to be leaned upon for an entire season? DRich has proven he can come in and contribute. Beyond that (again) we dont know what we've got.

-Bradford. Same consecutive system finally. Its time to get progressively better at making quicker decisions and taking chances with the ball IMO.

On defense its just the obvious hole at safety. I am concerned about the lack of speed at LB,but finding a stud(or two) at safety could help there.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
For me, it has to be the lack of experience on the offense.

This WR Corp has everything to prove ; with a severe lack of experience. Couple that with no real veteran WR for the young bucks to lean on.

RBs are gonna have to step-up and threaten defenses. They'll have to do that with little experience, and what appears to be a lack of confidence from the RB who was supposed to be our best RB prospect.

Is Scott Wells going to be available for the majority of the season.

Will Sam be hamstrung by not having enough confidence in his arsenal. Resulting in lack of execution.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I'm worried about an extremely young team, and in particular all the youth at receiver. I wanted to be able to open the offense up this year, which is pretty hard to do when people are still learning the system.

If/when we bring in a quality vet receiver who knows the offense, I will feel better.

Not worried about the line, I think we'll add another piece and we have pieces to work with, and a good coach.

I think we will only get better at safety and linebacker, even with rookies.

All in all, not a whole lot to worry about, IMO, except injuries.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
The offense as a whole - that is my biggest concern. Safety is a concern but not near as much as how the offense performs together this year. Will Long stay healthy and return to Probowl status? Will BQ step it up? Can our RBs get it done? Will Sam take that next step? Will Saffold stay healthy? Will Rok be the man I think many of us thought he could be?

As far as this year vs 2011? I was pretty sure Spags was going to have it together in 2011. That was an extreme disappointment to say the least. But there was still always something pulling on the hairs on the back of my neck. I compare how I feel when I listen to Fish. Then I think how that also effects the players. There is just a been there, done that, know how to respond, know how not to respond vibe that Fish has and Spags never quite had.

Also, take into account what the NFC West was looking like back then. IMO - we actually should have believed we could win the West. Last year's NFC West was probably the best conference in the league and we did better than just hold our own. Now, the NFC West is even better and I am still thinking we can and will win the division. I think we will fight for the playoffs every year from here on out. So yeah - I'm more positive heading into this year.

But you know ME Paul. I have been called a homer a time or two and I wear the moniker proudly.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
There's only 3 WRs on the roster right now (pre-draft).

IDK if Isaiah Pead can be an every down back, or be a work horse. I think he has potential to be an amazing change of pace back, someone who can get 10-20 carries a game, plus more as a receiver.

Speaking of RBs, one of these guys better know how to pass protect. I think ppl took for granted w/ SJack. He used to be not good at that, but later really got better at that aspect.

Oh and rushing TDs. Need more of that...like say 4 from Isaiah, 3 from Daryl, and about 8 from..Eddie Lacy. :neh: :ww:

There needs to be more depth a CB.

Special team...they need a returner, especially since Danny Amendola is gone.

RamsNation

Rookie
For me it's Safety,we lost both our starting safeties from last season this offseason.Although I won't miss Dahl at all Mikell even tho overplayed he was pretty solid.We need to draft at least 1 to be a starter and if Jeff thinks Darien Stewart can be the other (which I think he can)then that will help.The other for me is RB,we lost our workhorse in SJ,we knew when we had him who was gonna get the rock every time and all season long for years.Now we have Drich and Pead,they both have talent and I like them but I'm still a little worried if they can be relied on to carry the load the entire season.But I feel they deserve the chance this season to prove if they can,I don't want to draft a RB in the first 4 rounds unless its Lattimore in the 4th or later.And finally WR,what are we gonna get from the guys on the roster.Can givens be a every down player and not just a home run hitter.Can Quick get on the field?Pettis contribute consistently?I think we need to add 1 more high pick weapon at WR and then a late round pick obviously to fill the roster but someone who still has some potential.I will say I feel confident in Fisher and Snead though,something I haven't been able to say for years.If we hit on this year and next years draft like last years we will lay the foundation for a great team for years to come.

nighttrain

Legend
The Dude said:
bwdenverram said:
Yeah, I was a Spags fan too. I thought he was a really good teacher and a great X's and O's guy. But Fisher has that something extra. Well, two things actually. Experience and the ability to really get a read on his team's camaraderie level.

Snead's just a huge leap forward from Devaney, and that's no knock on Devaney either. Billy D was an obvious upgrade from the previous decade's worth of cruddy draft records, but this guy is on a whole different level. Plus he and Fisher appear to see eye-to-eye on everything. Billy D and Spags had, I guess, different philosophies about player development and it showed with some questionable roster decisions as well as coaching hires.

Ah well. Onward & upward.
Glad we are where we are, but Spags/Devaney victims of a Perfect Storm..
train

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
I'm on record with my concerns about the RB position, I won't bore you with it again. WR is obviously also a need. Safety... Wow. There's just nothing there at this point.

I reserve the right to feel better after the draft though!!

F. Mulder

Starter
Question marks? Sure, I have tons:

In no particular order:

Defensively: Obviously they need at least 1 if not 2 safeties. IMHO as long as none of them are named Dahl we are on the right track.

I really think JL needs to bounce back. He is a solid nice MLB but I keep waiting for him to become an impact MLB; a difference maker. He simply seems somewhat limited to me. I think he is lights out smart but want to see him become a force. I also expect more from Langford. I also want to see Quinn develop something other than a sprint to the outside on every pass play. He needs an inside move to add to his quickness, plus he is easy to sucker on inside counters due to his speed and aggressiveness outside. I want an OLB who can run. I don't care if the only directions he can run are forward or horizontal, just run. I thought Dunbar was very solid last year but he is a better SLB or situational LBer IMO. I need a LBer who can catch Kapernick, Wilson, or a TE and who can bring the heat from the outside on a blitz. I think this unit has the chance to be a top 10 one but the Safety, OLB, and better gap assignments from the DL are necessary.

Offensively:

1) I worry about OL continuity. I'd love the OL to be set (whoever the 5 starters and primary 1-2 backups are) and be able to play as a unit the majority of the time. Too often there were just plain whiffs or blown assignments. I think a lot of that can be solved with a cohesive unit. Guys like Dahl, Wells, Saffold, Long, all are vets and should be able to handle things IF they can stay together. I'm not too worried about Guard. If Watkins, Smith, Williams?, Washington, fight it out whoever wins wins and I'm fine by that. I'm more worried about the 3rd OT.

2) Improve the 3rd down conversions, especially 3rd and short. I blame Bradford, Jackson, Shotty, the OL, the Refs, and everyone else but for god's sake pick up more 3rd downs.

3) In that same vein improve the red zone offense from a FG unit to a TD unit.

4) Can Pead, Richardson, and Gannaway (?) do the job?

5) Bradford needs to take control of this team now that Jackson is gone. He needs to be the undisputed leader of this team and help win games they have no business winning.

Random issues/questions:

I may be flamed but I think Danny A and Jackson being gone might not be a bad thing for this team in the long-term. Bradford needs to look for other players than Danny A and Jackson is a nice back but I'm anxious to see how they approach the RB position now that he is gone and how other teams try to defend them.

Quick will not jump up to be a true starting WR stat-wise this year BUT he should be a 40-50 catch WR and that in itself will help with the hopeful continued development of Givens, the presence of Cook, the development of Kendricks, and Pettis.

Find a friggin kick and punt returner. I don't want Givens back there with Danny A gone and I sure don't ever want to see Jenkins again. Pettis is a suicide mission waiting to happen.

Draft-wise:

I'm scared to death of Patterson, Ogletree. Not high on Fluker. Don't want Lacy in the 1st round. Think there are starting safeties into the late 2nd round. Think Austin is gone by 16. Think Hopkins is solid if you are looking for a number2. Like Allen and Woods in the 2nd. Scared to death of Hunter. Would rather have a Patton or Wheaton.

First 3 picks in no particular order: WR, OL, Safety

Probably nobody is reading at this point and I probably have more to say but I forgot what I had for lunch today so carry on.. :nono:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
My two top concerns are:

SAFETY

With only THREE (3) safeties on the roster, all 3 being UDFA it would have to be a concern. Glaring to most Ram fans and non informed Ram fans would be #1 Free Deep Safety. With the new DC with his specialty being the secondary along with Fisher long NFL history with the secondary the Safety concern should be toned down some due to the above. Ram only safety with starting NFL experience is Darian Stewart who has been my favorite Strong Safety since his arrival. So the departure of SS's Mikell & Dahl was a relief to me.

Darian Stewart is a bonified starting SS in the NFL. I was also impressed with UDFA rookie free deep safety Rodney McLeod in pre-season too. McLeod is quick & some speed but very light 183 pounds in 2012 he was our top gunner in 16 games in 2012 on ST all year. He saw action in two games @ deep safety in place of Dahl. So I would not over look him @ 22 yrs old as a possible starter if HC & DC do not find one to their liking in this draft. If McLeod has added muscle and power to his frame he would be considered a sleeper as starting FS in 2013. Rod played corner as a freshman & the Nickel back he returned balls as well, Rod started @ safety for three years @ UVA , so he has some versatility to his small 5-9 3/4 frame.

<a class="postlink" href="http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1117567-2012-nfl-draft-university-of-virginia-safety-rodney-mcleod" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1117 ... ney-mcleod</a>
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.profootballweekly.com/prospects/player/rodney-mcleod-4/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.profootballweekly.com/prospe ... -mcleod-4/</a>

Matt Daniels had two knee surgeries in less than one year. I would expect Daniels to be PUP'd early in 2013 after two ACL tears in 2012. Thus leaving @ least two to three needed talented safeties when TC opens. So my concern is aimed more toward the deep safety than the box SS.

I am not of the belief that the Rams need to reach or select a safety out of need as most. Good starting safeties can be found even on Saturdays of the NFL drafts.

OFFENSIVE LINE

This still remains my top concern along with the safety issues. One thing that Fisher & Snead did as soon as they got here was address the OL. They dumped four foul starters like the high cost free loaders like OLG Jacob Bell, OT Jason Smith ,OC/OLG Jason Brown & main reserve swing OT/OG Adam Goldberg. I was in love with all that wonderful OL action. Replaced Jason Smith with Barry Richardson, Wayne Hunter replaced Goldberg, Scott Wells replaced Jason Brown & Rok Watkins replaced Jacob Bell. IMO all these moves were vast improvement :peace: :bangin: :yahoo: . However half of them were temporary fixes @ the OT's. The $$ purchase of Scott Wells turned into a medical nightmare. Three rehabbing events & millions of spent cap $$$ later we still do not know if Sam has healthy performing center! :nahhh: I still think he is under powered & now injury prone and may be worn down too. We are paying too much $$$ to have such concerns @ the center of our OL. Rams better be looking for a Center/OLG type prospect IMO.

Currently the Rams released their starting ORT & third swing OT. Snead & Fisher added a starting OLT who was the first pick of the 2008 draft & not resigned by his original team...Jake Long 27 yr old body has had 10 surgeries performed on him. :???: So the last two UFA big $$ signings currently are rehabbing... :slap!: The Jake Long purchase moved Rodger Saffold to the right side where he has never played. Not in HS, College & NFL. So now our former starting OLT who missed parts or whole of 21 games in the last 32 games :uhh: is our new starting ORT. Saffold new close playmate is 32 yr old ORG Harvey Dahl who is also rehabbing and finished late last season on the IR. The slated starter @ OLG is a third day 2012 draft pick. He played in one game and was injured and spent the entire 2012 season on IR too. The above five OL'ers are the probable project starters (Long- Watkins- Wells- Dahl- Saffold) together they = a :sick: MEDICAL MASH UNIT. With starters like this I am sure the Rams have invested in talented draft prospects for insurance right? Nope all of the Ram OL reserves are waved released discards from other NFL team. :nono:

F. Mulder

Starter
Bonifay- I agree with everything you posted but would add that the Guard position might not be the weakness some of us think it is in having some solid? competition in Watkins and Smith and Washington. The number 3 OT scares me more in that I have less faith in Barksdale than some and think Ty NQSHEWEEEE is a utility player at best. Still, I think Dahl will be gone after this year due to salary and age but I think Long and Wells are ok. The things Wells has went through are minor on the OL injury scale. He reminds me a lot of Jeff Saturday. He won't blow you away but knows his assignments and is crafty. Long may not be the Pace LOT he was drafted for but IF he is 80% recovered he will do just fine (he just won't see the end of his contract though :lol: )

Looking at the draft they will come out of this with a Guard and a Tackle prospect. Hopefully they are versatile enough to double up (Guard/Center -Tackle/Guard) but guys like Winters or Fredricks (sp?) in the mid rounds might prove valuable.

Since you are an OL fanatic what are your thoughts on Fluker, Watson, Armstead, Pugh, Thornton, etc? I like Fluker but no way in the 1st. I see him as Phil Loadholdt. Nothing against him but you don't use a 16 or 22 to get him IMO

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
Safety, This needs to be addressed imo. Even if we sign Mikell to address it this year it’s just a temporary fix due to his age, He only has a few years left in the tank.

Penalties, hopefully we can cut those down a bit. I know our team is really young so it happens but i would like to see it lower.

I’m worried about our offensive line gap, We are missing a solid guard & with Saffold upset about the move we might lose him after this year. With that said we would have 2 gaps in our line the following year.

I used to be worried about the receiver problem but I believe Givens is going to shine this year and with the addition of Cook we should be good to roll. I just hope Quick picks it up this year.

(If we go receiver, I want Jordan Matthews next year)

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
F. Mulder said:
Question marks? Sure, I have tons:

In no particular order:

Defensively: Obviously they need at least 1 if not 2 safeties. IMHO as long as none of them are named Dahl we are on the right track.

I really think JL needs to bounce back. He is a solid nice MLB but I keep waiting for him to become an impact MLB; a difference maker. He simply seems somewhat limited to me. I think he is lights out smart but want to see him become a force. I also expect more from Langford. I also want to see Quinn develop something other than a sprint to the outside on every pass play. He needs an inside move to add to his quickness, plus he is easy to sucker on inside counters due to his speed and aggressiveness outside. I want an OLB who can run. I don't care if the only directions he can run are forward or horizontal, just run. I thought Dunbar was very solid last year but he is a better SLB or situational LBer IMO. I need a LBer who can catch Kapernick, Wilson, or a TE and who can bring the heat from the outside on a blitz. I think this unit has the chance to be a top 10 one but the Safety, OLB, and better gap assignments from the DL are necessary.

Offensively:

1) I worry about OL continuity. I'd love the OL to be set (whoever the 5 starters and primary 1-2 backups are) and be able to play as a unit the majority of the time. Too often there were just plain whiffs or blown assignments. I think a lot of that can be solved with a cohesive unit. Guys like Dahl, Wells, Saffold, Long, all are vets and should be able to handle things IF they can stay together. I'm not too worried about Guard. If Watkins, Smith, Williams?, Washington, fight it out whoever wins wins and I'm fine by that. I'm more worried about the 3rd OT.

2) Improve the 3rd down conversions, especially 3rd and short. I blame Bradford, Jackson, Shotty, the OL, the Refs, and everyone else but for god's sake pick up more 3rd downs.

3) In that same vein improve the red zone offense from a FG unit to a TD unit.

4) Can Pead, Richardson, and Gannaway (?) do the job?

5) Bradford needs to take control of this team now that Jackson is gone. He needs to be the undisputed leader of this team and help win games they have no business winning.

Random issues/questions:

I may be flamed but I think Danny A and Jackson being gone might not be a bad thing for this team in the long-term. Bradford needs to look for other players than Danny A and Jackson is a nice back but I'm anxious to see how they approach the RB position now that he is gone and how other teams try to defend them.

Quick will not jump up to be a true starting WR stat-wise this year BUT he should be a 40-50 catch WR and that in itself will help with the hopeful continued development of Givens, the presence of Cook, the development of Kendricks, and Pettis.

Find a friggin kick and punt returner. I don't want Givens back there with Danny A gone and I sure don't ever want to see Jenkins again. Pettis is a suicide mission waiting to happen.

Draft-wise:

I'm scared to death of Patterson, Ogletree. Not high on Fluker. Don't want Lacy in the 1st round. Think there are starting safeties into the late 2nd round. Think Austin is gone by 16. Think Hopkins is solid if you are looking for a number2. Like Allen and Woods in the 2nd. Scared to death of Hunter. Would rather have a Patton or Wheaton.

First 3 picks in no particular order: WR, OL, Safety

Probably nobody is reading at this point and I probably have more to say but I forgot what I had for lunch today so carry on.. :nono:
That's what I'm talkin' bout. Nice, detailed response.

Regarding JL55, I think he's a tremendous asset when it comes to calling the defensive alignments and making adjustments. He's very good at getting guys in position to make plays, and his recognition is really solid. Very smart player, and very disciplined. But on an individual level, he could absolutely use some improvement. I'm hoping it was changing defensive schemes that held him back a little last year and that he bounces back this year in a big way (along with everyone else).

Here's his individual rankings through 16 weeks last year. Not his best work, but he's not a liability either.

YwECuJO.png

I agree that Langord can (and will) show more this year. I love that dude's tenacity. I agree that Quinn could add some more weapons to his arsenal, but I'd like to see him get much stronger and develop a bull-rush. His inside move is there already - he's just gotta perfect it.

Offensively, I want to see MUCH more between the hash plays. The middle of the field was largely underutilized last year, and that's something that should open up in a big way with the addition of Cook, and the continued development of Kendricks. I still maintain that they could add another pass-catching TE to the mix and really give defenses fits. I'm okay with Givens on the outside. As he incorporates more of the route tree, I think he'll be phenomenal. Quick, I'm not really worried about. He just needs to catch up to the speed of the game and think much quicker. Get on his toes, so to speak. I'd love to see us add Patterson for the rewards he'd provide a couple of years down the road. I'd like to see a Quick-Patterson duo on the outside with Givens and Pettis as our 3rd & 4th guys. We'd have it all then. Speed, hands, size, strength, quickness, whatever you need - just put that combo out there.

I'm not worried about Bradford, and that's not a homer opinion.

I see what I see in him, and I know what he's going to provide.
There's an elite QB in there. I can see it.