Question marks going into the season?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

F. Mulder

Starter
The Dude said:
F. Mulder said:
Question marks? Sure, I have tons:

In no particular order:

Defensively: Obviously they need at least 1 if not 2 safeties. IMHO as long as none of them are named Dahl we are on the right track.

I really think JL needs to bounce back. He is a solid nice MLB but I keep waiting for him to become an impact MLB; a difference maker. He simply seems somewhat limited to me. I think he is lights out smart but want to see him become a force. I also expect more from Langford. I also want to see Quinn develop something other than a sprint to the outside on every pass play. He needs an inside move to add to his quickness, plus he is easy to sucker on inside counters due to his speed and aggressiveness outside. I want an OLB who can run. I don't care if the only directions he can run are forward or horizontal, just run. I thought Dunbar was very solid last year but he is a better SLB or situational LBer IMO. I need a LBer who can catch Kapernick, Wilson, or a TE and who can bring the heat from the outside on a blitz. I think this unit has the chance to be a top 10 one but the Safety, OLB, and better gap assignments from the DL are necessary.

Offensively:

1) I worry about OL continuity. I'd love the OL to be set (whoever the 5 starters and primary 1-2 backups are) and be able to play as a unit the majority of the time. Too often there were just plain whiffs or blown assignments. I think a lot of that can be solved with a cohesive unit. Guys like Dahl, Wells, Saffold, Long, all are vets and should be able to handle things IF they can stay together. I'm not too worried about Guard. If Watkins, Smith, Williams?, Washington, fight it out whoever wins wins and I'm fine by that. I'm more worried about the 3rd OT.

2) Improve the 3rd down conversions, especially 3rd and short. I blame Bradford, Jackson, Shotty, the OL, the Refs, and everyone else but for god's sake pick up more 3rd downs.

3) In that same vein improve the red zone offense from a FG unit to a TD unit.

4) Can Pead, Richardson, and Gannaway (?) do the job?

5) Bradford needs to take control of this team now that Jackson is gone. He needs to be the undisputed leader of this team and help win games they have no business winning.

Random issues/questions:

I may be flamed but I think Danny A and Jackson being gone might not be a bad thing for this team in the long-term. Bradford needs to look for other players than Danny A and Jackson is a nice back but I'm anxious to see how they approach the RB position now that he is gone and how other teams try to defend them.

Quick will not jump up to be a true starting WR stat-wise this year BUT he should be a 40-50 catch WR and that in itself will help with the hopeful continued development of Givens, the presence of Cook, the development of Kendricks, and Pettis.

Find a friggin kick and punt returner. I don't want Givens back there with Danny A gone and I sure don't ever want to see Jenkins again. Pettis is a suicide mission waiting to happen.

Draft-wise:

I'm scared to death of Patterson, Ogletree. Not high on Fluker. Don't want Lacy in the 1st round. Think there are starting safeties into the late 2nd round. Think Austin is gone by 16. Think Hopkins is solid if you are looking for a number2. Like Allen and Woods in the 2nd. Scared to death of Hunter. Would rather have a Patton or Wheaton.

First 3 picks in no particular order: WR, OL, Safety

Probably nobody is reading at this point and I probably have more to say but I forgot what I had for lunch today so carry on.. :nono:
That's what I'm talkin' bout. Nice, detailed response.

Regarding JL55, I think he's a tremendous asset when it comes to calling the defensive alignments and making adjustments. He's very good at getting guys in position to make plays, and his recognition is really solid. Very smart player, and very disciplined. But on an individual level, he could absolutely use some improvement. I'm hoping it was changing defensive schemes that held him back a little last year and that he bounces back this year in a big way (along with everyone else).

Here's his individual rankings through 16 weeks last year. Not his best work, but he's not a liability either.

YwECuJO.png

I agree that Langord can (and will) show more this year. I love that dude's tenacity. I agree that Quinn could add some more weapons to his arsenal, but I'd like to see him get much stronger and develop a bull-rush. His inside move is there already - he's just gotta perfect it.

Offensively, I want to see MUCH more between the hash plays. The middle of the field was largely underutilized last year, and that's something that should open up in a big way with the addition of Cook, and the continued development of Kendricks. I still maintain that they could add another pass-catching TE to the mix and really give defenses fits. I'm okay with Givens on the outside. As he incorporates more of the route tree, I think he'll be phenomenal. Quick, I'm not really worried about. He just needs to catch up to the speed of the game and think much quicker. Get on his toes, so to speak. I'd love to see us add Patterson for the rewards he'd provide a couple of years down the road. I'd like to see a Quick-Patterson duo on the outside with Givens and Pettis as our 3rd & 4th guys. We'd have it all then. Speed, hands, size, strength, quickness, whatever you need - just put that combo out there.

I'm not worried about Bradford, and that's not a homer opinion.

I see what I see in him, and I know what he's going to provide.
There's an elite QB in there. I can see it.

Thanks Dude as always. What are your thoughts about them being a different type of running team with Jackson gone? I loved him and appreciated him more over his career but it seems to me someone who could take a basic handoff or flat pass and take it all the way is not a bad thing. OTOH, you have to account for the stout blitz pickups Jackson developed. Also, what are your thoughts about Danny A being gone and him being Bradford's security blanket (and rightfully so I might add)?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
F. Mulder said:
Thanks Dude as always. What are your thoughts about them being a different type of running team with Jackson gone? I loved him and appreciated him more over his career but it seems to me someone who could take a basic handoff or flat pass and take it all the way is not a bad thing. OTOH, you have to account for the stout blitz pickups Jackson developed. Also, what are your thoughts about Danny A being gone and him being Bradford's security blanket (and rightfully so I might add)?
I think you and I are in the same boat, in that we're both excited to see how the team responds post-Amendola and Jackson. I'd rather Bradford be forced to spread the ball around and find a different go-to guy, and I'm a little excited to see us add more speed & elusiveness to the RB position. Like you said though, the only perceived liability at this point would be blitz pick-up. I'd like to see Pead & Richardson be able to throw a decent block, and maybe Ganaway already has that ability. Plus, we could always motion Kendricks into the backfield and Pead/Richardson OUT of the backfield to provide some mismatches and give that needed pass protection.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
F. Mulder said:
Bonifay- I agree with everything you posted but would add that the Guard position might not be the weakness some of us think it is in having some solid? competition in Watkins and Smith and Washington. The number 3 OT scares me more in that I have less faith in Barksdale than some and think Ty NQSHEWEEEE is a utility player at best. Still, I think Dahl will be gone after this year due to salary and age but I think Long and Wells are ok. The things Wells has went through are minor on the OL injury scale. He reminds me a lot of Jeff Saturday. He won't blow you away but knows his assignments and is crafty. Long may not be the Pace LOT he was drafted for but IF he is 80% recovered he will do just fine (he just won't see the end of his contract though :lol: )

Looking at the draft they will come out of this with a Guard and a Tackle prospect. Hopefully they are versatile enough to double up (Guard/Center -Tackle/Guard) but guys like Winters or Fredricks (sp?) in the mid rounds might prove valuable.

Since you are an OL fanatic what are your thoughts on Fluker, Watson, Armstead, Pugh, Thornton, etc? I like Fluker but no way in the 1st. I see him as Phil Loadholdt. Nothing against him but you don't use a 16 or 22 to get him IMO

Yep OG could turn out better than it looks on paper or as I put it. Some of those late last year released wavered OL'ers were once very recent 3rd, 5th & 6th round picks. Tim Barnes & Ty Nsekhe were UDFA's. Even though Rok Watkins has been penciled in @ OLG fact is he has played ORT,OLT & ORG in college. Watkins best college play came when he was @ OT particularity @ ORT. Its Shelley Smith who has always been a OLG and Brandon Washington was a left side guy in college, mostly @ OLG. One more thing i should add to your optimism is neither Washington nor Smith were here in training camp or preseason to get a chance to soak in Boudreau! Same could be said about the reserve OT's Barksdale & Nsekhe.

I do not like four of the five above listed OT's. Menelik Watson is the only OT that I feel would fit in here well. I also feel Menelik is a reach @ #22 and will be way gone by #46. Menelik would be a good very late first rd pick or early 2nd round pick. I think Boudreau could do wonders with Menelik in a years time. Problem with Menelik is he is not anywhere close to being ready to play OT in the NFL. Big issue there with that but in his up side in a few years could be substantial. One OT I do like is David Quessenberry! Rams will need to draft an Right side OT in this draft its a must! DJ Fluker ....if there @ #22 would be interesting to see what the Rams do.....stand bye....

So Fisher & Boudreau went back & got Chris Williams to be a possible third swing OT or back up ORG again. I think CW will win the third OT spot over Joe Barksdale. The Rams 10 roster spots for OL'ers is looking like this:

OLT-Long/Saffold
OLG-Smith/Washington/Watkins
OC-Wells/Barnes
ORG-Dahl/C.Williams
ORT-Saffold/C.Williams/Barksdale/Watkins

The Rams only real interest in a OG Thurdsay is if Chance Warmack is there @ #16 a seriously great BPA!. Otherwise the Rams will let their 5 signed under contract OL'ers fight it out for the 3 roster spots for the OG post. (Dahl- Williams- Smith- Washington & Watkins) The only other draft prospect that would interest the Rams is a prospect like Brian Schwenke with the 4th/#113 pick, who can play center & OLG in the NFL. Schwenke is a great insurance policy on any more continued degrade in play by Wells. Sorry to say I do not hold Scott Wells in the same light as you do. At this point in time I see Wells pick up as bad one.

EastRam

Pro Bowler
Guard's a good one too, but I'm not *as* concerned about that.

Here's a question. And dig deep now.

Do you feel better about going into 2013 (off of a 7-8-1 season), than you did going into 2011 (off of a 7-9 season)?
I remember being pretty stoked about our off-season activity in 2011, and thought we were gonna be badass.

I was so stoked, we purchased 4 tickets to go to the Seattle game at the LOU. Couldn't even sell the tickets had to eat them.

You have to feel better about this team. It's really not even close as far as talent and overall coaching is concerned

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
A lot of good ones in here. Mine is the health of the line. We've got a line full of all pro crapshoots. Hate to say it. Fishers coaching style and the depth they're building is slightly reassuring. Plus we got coach Boudreau. Still very concerned.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
The Dude said:
F. Mulder said:
I think you and I are in the same boat, in that we're both excited to see how the team responds post-Amendola and Jackson. I'd rather Bradford be forced to spread the ball around and find a different go-to guy, and I'm a little excited to see us add more speed & elusiveness to the RB position. Like you said though, the only perceived liability at this point would be blitz pick-up. I'd like to see Pead & Richardson be able to throw a decent block, and maybe Ganaway already has that ability. Plus, we could always motion Kendricks into the backfield and Pead/Richardson OUT of the backfield to provide some mismatches and give that needed pass protection.
I think Danny was the clear #1, but there are reasons why, other than that he was our best WR, which he was. Our OL had every much to do with Sam having to hit the check down on almost every play.

I read your whole post, Mulder, you made some excellent points, most of which I agree with.