Quarterbacks

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
Not sure what you guys are seeing in Keenum. He had one good game.
I want to see Mannion the last two games.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't disagree although I hold out some hope for Keenum, mostly as a solid back up kind of guy. I just don't see anything in Daniels to get hopeful about and I am not excited about a rookie coming in to be the QB. I haven't evaluated (take that for what its worth) the QBs coming out this year....I don't see a solution to the QB problem for the Rams really.

Yea but that's likely the role Mannion takes over if he doesn't earn the starting job.

I think you'd be pleasantly surprised with Daniel. Sat behind Drew Brees for a long time and you can see he learned from him. Similar playing style. And thinks very quickly on the field.

As for the rookies, it's a deep class. We got lucky with that.

I'd be excited about a rookie. Frankly, look at the way guys like Winston, Mariota, Luck, Bridgewater, Carr, Flacco, Ryan, Bradford, Dalton, Glennon, etc. have played as rookies over the past few years and then look at our QB play this year. A QB that has a good rookie year would be more than enough of a boost for us to get over the hump if the defense and running game continue to play at a top 10 level.

fearsomefour

Legend
Yea but that's likely the role Mannion takes over if he doesn't earn the starting job.

I think you'd be pleasantly surprised with Daniel. Sat behind Drew Brees for a long time and you can see he learned from him. Similar playing style. And thinks very quickly on the field.

As for the rookies, it's a deep class. We got lucky with that.

I'd be excited about a rookie. Frankly, look at the way guys like Winston, Mariota, Luck, Bridgewater, Carr, Flacco, Ryan, Bradford, Dalton, Glennon, etc. have played as rookies over the past few years and then look at our QB play this year. A QB that has a good rookie year would be more than enough of a boost for us to get over the hump if the defense and running game continue to play at a top 10 level.
I get it.
I have no idea if Mannion is going to be the eventual starter or even a capable back up.
If the team really buys into him, that makes much of this easier. I think that Keenum is at least a capable back up. What I don't want to do is go into next year with nothing but question marks. A rookie and Mannion, both question marks. Daniel to me is more of a question mark than Keenum (although he still is as well) given his very limited play. Finding a stop gap should be doable in one way or another I suppose. Finding a long term answer is where it gets tough.

fearsomefour

Legend
Not sure what you guys are seeing in Keenum. He had one good game.
I want to see Mannion the last two games.
He has shown the ability to do some things from the pocket. Just not vs a poor Tampa Bay pass defense but in some of his time in Houston. He can get into a groove, get the ball out on time and make some nice touch throws. He is never going to beat a team with his arm strength but he can have nice touch and to me the limited time left this year is more valuable given to Keenum than Mannion.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
He has shown the ability to do some things from the pocket. Just not vs a poor Tampa Bay pass defense but in some of his time in Houston. He can get into a groove, get the ball out on time and make some nice touch throws. He is never going to beat a team with his arm strength but he can have nice touch and to me the limited time left this year is more valuable given to Keenum than Mannion.

Keenum is fool's gold. He is not a QB who will be able to sustain high end play for significant portions of the season. He's the guy who will wilt if the team does get to the playoffs, due to facing higher level of competition. I don't want to root against the guy or anything--I really hope he kills it in Seattle--but he's fine only as a placeholder or backup.

I'd love to be proved wrong by him, for the record. But even if he does kill it in Seattle the Rams have little choice... They need to address the position and hedge their bets.

fearsomefour

Legend
Keenum is fool's gold. He is not a QB who will be able to sustain high end play for significant portions of the season. He's the guy who will wilt if the team does get to the playoffs, due to facing higher level of competition. I don't want to root against the guy or anything--I really hope he kills it in Seattle--but he's fine only as a placeholder or backup.

I'd love to be proved wrong by him, for the record. But even if he does kill it in Seattle the Rams have little choice... They need to address the position and hedge their bets.
I don't disagree with this.
I just don't see options that improves the team now. To try and take advantage of the window the team has to win now, by virtue of the work they have done on the D side of the ball....taking for granted the D survives FA in tact enough to be as good going forward.
I am not saying this is a Keenum OR situation because he has some skills....to me it is a Keenum AND situation. Keenum and a rookie draft pick and Mannion and a veteran addition in the offseason. It is going to take some luck for the Rams to come out of this offseason with anything more than a stop gap measure. I would be casting that net widely. I would have already signed a QB from someones practice squad....as I have said before I prefer Phillip Sims from the Cardinals. I would be looking for young veteran QBs that may be available via trade....a Glennon or Matt McGloin type. I would be looking at guy(s) in this draft of course. Casting the net wide does not mean you have to pull the trigger on any specific thing, but, going into camp with (for example) Glennon, Keenum, Sims, Mannion and a rookie may or may not increase the odds of finding a long term answer....but it stands to reason it increases the odds of finding a guy who can be solid enough to not sink the team.
That is all I am saying.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I get it.
I have no idea if Mannion is going to be the eventual starter or even a capable back up.
If the team really buys into him, that makes much of this easier. I think that Keenum is at least a capable back up. What I don't want to do is go into next year with nothing but question marks. A rookie and Mannion, both question marks. Daniel to me is more of a question mark than Keenum (although he still is as well) given his very limited play. Finding a stop gap should be doable in one way or another I suppose. Finding a long term answer is where it gets tough.

Eh, I don't really Daniel as more of a question mark than Keenum in a negative way. He's widely considered one of the best backups in the league. I don't feel that way about Keenum. Yea, Keenum isn't a question mark...because we know who he is. He's not one of the best backup QBs in the NFL or a starting caliber passer. In that case, I think Daniel's question is if he's a capable starter. So imo, the question here is positive because we already know he can play Keenum's role but we don't know if he can offer more.

Plus, then you have a rookie. Which will be awesome for the fan-base because it actually gives us all hope.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't disagree with this.
I just don't see options that improves the team now. To try and take advantage of the window the team has to win now, by virtue of the work they have done on the D side of the ball....taking for granted the D survives FA in tact enough to be as good going forward.
I am not saying this is a Keenum OR situation because he has some skills....to me it is a Keenum AND situation. Keenum and a rookie draft pick and Mannion and a veteran addition in the offseason. It is going to take some luck for the Rams to come out of this offseason with anything more than a stop gap measure. I would be casting that net widely. I would have already signed a QB from someones practice squad....as I have said before I prefer Phillip Sims from the Cardinals. I would be looking for young veteran QBs that may be available via trade....a Glennon or Matt McGloin type. I would be looking at guy(s) in this draft of course. Casting the net wide does not mean you have to pull the trigger on any specific thing, but, going into camp with (for example) Glennon, Keenum, Sims, Mannion and a rookie may or may not increase the odds of finding a long term answer....but it stands to reason it increases the odds of finding a guy who can be solid enough to not sink the team.
That is all I am saying.

You've got too many cooks in the kitchen in that scenario. You're not going to get 5 QBs enough reps. Which likely means Sims and Keenum are the odd men out.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
So many things could happen. But at least they have a chance right now to see if Keenum holds up to finish our season.

And to be honest if he does well, I'll take that fools gold, because he would be the only one with experience playing in our current system with any success.

We already know that Foles is done. I mean he's gone, and we know that they don't want to rush Mannion, so he's likely staying, otherwise he'd have been thrown to the wolves already.

So barring a change in coaching staff, the question mark is Keenum. Can he do it? He has two more games to say he can.

If he can, that's one less question mark, and that's a good thing, IMO. It leaves us with the option of signing or drafting one question mark.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So many things could happen. But at least they have a chance right now to see if Keenum holds up to finish our season.

And to be honest if he does well, I'll take that fools gold, because he would be the only one with experience playing in our current system with any success.

We already know that Foles is done. I mean he's gone, and we know that they don't want to rush Mannion, so he's likely staying, otherwise he'd have been thrown to the wolves already.

So barring a change in coaching staff, the question mark is Keenum. Can he do it? He has two more games to say he can.

If he can, that's one less question mark, and that's a good thing, IMO. It leaves us with the option of signing or drafting one question mark.

Keenum isn't a question mark. We know what he is. He's a guy that has no business starting games for this team next year.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Didn't Manning just sign a 4 year $84 million contract this summer?
Yes
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-giants/eli-manning/
Eli Manning signed a 4 year, $84,000,000 contract with the New York Giants in 2015, including a $31,000,000 signing bonus, $65,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $21,000,000. In 2015, Manning will earn a base salary of $5,500,000, a signing bonus of $31,000,000 and a workout bonus of $500,000. Manning has a cap hit of $14,450,000 while his dead money value is $56,750,000.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-giants/eli-manning/
Eli Manning signed a 4 year, $84,000,000 contract with the New York Giants in 2015, including a $31,000,000 signing bonus, $65,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $21,000,000. In 2015, Manning will earn a base salary of $5,500,000, a signing bonus of $31,000,000 and a workout bonus of $500,000. Manning has a cap hit of $14,450,000 while his dead money value is $56,750,000.

Yep. He's not going anywhere. They can't cut or trade him.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Keenum isn't a question mark. We know what he is. He's a guy that has no business starting games for this team next year.
Regardless of your opinion on Keenum, if you were Fisher would you really relish the thought of starting next season with not one quarterback on the roster you are confident can play at even a mediocre level for the offense?

If I'm Fisher, and this is the last season of his contract, I hope beyond hope that he proves himself to be a reliable backup and potential starter, on the heels of the permanently injured Bradford fiasco, and the trade for an unknown starter in Foles fiasco.

Then I consider whether or not I think Mannion and can he be who I want him to be. If not I replace him with a draft pick, and I pick up another option to Keenum. Either way, I would keep 3 quarterbacks on the roster to hedge my bets.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Mannion starts against the 49ers no matter what Keenum does this weekend IMO
Seattle game says whether or not Keenum comes back in any way shape or form

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Regardless of your opinion on Keenum, if you were Fisher would you really relish the thought of starting next season with not one quarterback on the roster you are confident can play at even a mediocre level for the offense?

No, I wouldn't. Which is why Keenum and Foles need to go to clear roster spots.

If I'm Fisher, and this is the last season of his contract, I hope beyond hope that he proves himself to be a reliable backup and potential starter, on the heels of the permanently injured Bradford fiasco, and the trade for an unknown starter in Foles fiasco.

He's not a potential starter. We know this.

Then I consider whether or not I think Mannion and can he be who I want him to be. If not I replace him with a draft pick, and I pick up another option to Keenum. Either way, I would keep 3 quarterbacks on the roster to hedge my bets.

You don't replace Mannion to keep Keenum. You drafted Mannion for a reason. I didn't like the pick. But he's the guy you chose. You sat him as a rookie for a reason. You don't replace him because you have a career backup QB in Keenum.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Mannion starts against the 49ers no matter what Keenum does this weekend IMO
Seattle game says whether or not Keenum comes back in any way shape or form

I don't think Mannion's start against the 49ers will tell us much. But it is better than nothing.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
He's got 13 games of starting experience. We all know this.
You've made up your mind on him. I get that. I haven't. He's played progressively better in the past couple of games, a trend that I would like to see continue.

And to be honest, had they not seen something they liked in him or he wouldn't have been on the roster at the beginning of this season with both Foles and Mannion.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You've made up your mind on him. I get that. I haven't. He's played progressively better in the past couple of games, a trend that I would like to see continue.
And to be honest, had they not seen something they liked in him or he wouldn't have been on the roster at the beginning of this season with both Foles and Mannion.

Was that before or after they let Houston sign him last year when Austin Davis and Shaun Hill were our QBs?