Prisco on Quinn

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
BTW - in the two SF games, the Whiners averaged 2.55 yards up the gut in the first game and 1.8 in the second game. Sounds like he was holding his own along side Brockers.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
RamFan503 said:
BTW - in the two SF games, the Whiners averaged 2.55 yards up the gut in the first game and 1.8 in the second game. Sounds like he was holding his own along side Brockers.

I'm glad someone other than me appreciates Langford even though he doesn't rack up big stats. Sometimes even PFF stats can't indicate everything that happens on the field

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
rams24/7 said:
RamFan503 said:

I'm glad someone other than me appreciates Langford even though he doesn't rack up big stats. Sometimes even PFF stats can't indicate everything that happens on the field

Yeah - I think once again that too many people think individual stats are the best measuring stick. What would the Showtime Lakers have been without Rambis and Michael Cooper?

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
RamFan503 said:
rams24/7 said:
RamFan503 said:

Yeah - I think once again that too many people think individual stats are the best measuring stick. What would the Showtime Lakers have been without Rambis and Michael Cooper?

Agreed on Showtime Lakers. Also Finnegan began 2012 w/3 straight weeks with 1 pick, then had none the remainder of the year. People thought he fell off. Maybe by the end of the year, when he was banged up and almost strictly played nickel, but his picks went down because QBs didn't want to test a proven Pro Bowler who began the year w/3 picks. To me picks & sacks are great, but those stats may not be the best measuring stick to evaluate DLmen & DBs with. To me TDs allowed or comp. % against is much more telling for a DB or for DLmen "containment" isn't an official stat

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
rams24/7 rejoined:
You're really citing PFF? Langford struggled the beginning of last year because Brockers wasn't fully healthy until about 6. The first handful of games he was getting the majority of the attention on the interior of the line because the undersized Cudjo was filling in for Brock. 27 tackles & 2 sacks isn't bad. And he's not your big, imposing, freak of a DT like Brock, but it doesn't mean he can't be effective at what he does. He's a gap shooter who uses his first step and agility to beat interior lineman. He and Brock complement each other, one the physical freak and another more finesse based. Long & Quinn are complements as well.

As for Langford being the 5th best, I'd agree, but Hayes being a great backup/utility D-lineman, again doesn't mean Langford is bad. I will agree Kendall is a bit overpaid, but every team has their overpaid and underpaid players. You could make the argument Sam is overpaid, doesn't mean he's a bad player though.

As for your quote of PFF on Langford struggling against the 49ers Dline: MOST players struggle versus their ENTIRE line! They have 3 Pro Bowlers on their line in addition to the 6'8" 300 pound Boone & Goodwin who is no slouch at C.

You don't think that citing PFF is worthwhile? I think that PFF is a very widely respected site used by many of the "experts" and non-experts like myself so my answer is "of course."

I don't think I've explained myself very well because I didn't say or mean to imply that Langford is a bad player. But I would have no problem cutting him for cap reasons and inserting Conrath in his place. He's the weakest link in the chain but it's a very strong chain.

RamFan503 interjected:

That doesn't necessarily say anything about Langford. We might have cut those averages in half with a different DT in there. And yes, the stats that PFF comes up with are by no means the be all and end all of his performance but you two seem to be ignoring them completely. I like to think that I'm looking at more than just the stats because using just the stats would equate to him sucking. I'm not saying that at all. I'm saying he's not playing to his salary.

Go back to one of my earlier posts in this thread and you see where I said this: "Of course it's early so we'll see." I know that he was converting from a 3-4 to 4-3 and I expected growing pains. I'm not advocating cutting him but I expect him to play better this year and if he doesn't I expect him to be playing for another team next year because of his salary. Especially considering how close we are to the CAP. Decisions about players like Dahl, Wells and Langford will have to be made. This one could be an easy one if he doesn't play better.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
rams24/7 said:
RamFan503 said:

Well someones got to be the "odd man out".....look at the Fearsome Foursome, Lamar Lundy was an integral member of the group, but the other three got most of the press.....too many cooks in the kitchen I suppose. :sly:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
ramsince62 said:
rams24/7 said:
RamFan503 said:

Well someones got to be the "odd man out".....look at the Fearsome Foursome, Lamar Lundy was an integral member of the group, but the other three got most of the press.....too many cooks in the kitchen I suppose. :sly:

Yeah - y'know, I was going to bring up Lundy. Great complimentary player.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
jrry32 said:
I don't know about that but I do hope it's true.

I'm with you jrry.

(1) He's athletic enough to collect sacks... because he's so quick he'll beat his guy every once in a while.

(2) This is a big year for him in my book. For him to reach top end status, he's got to have more than the athletic thing going for him. He needs to show "smarts" and technique. That's what get's Long his pressures.

If Quinn elevates that side of his game; watch out. It's his 3rd year and time for that element to emerge. (EDIT: It took Long a few years too)