Prisco on Quinn

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Encouraging tweet...

@PriscoCBS: The more I study and watch Robert Quinn and talk to teammates, the more I think he might be the league's next great edge rusher.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Playing next to Brockers should help Quinn bust out over the next year.

EastRam

Pro Bowler
max said:
Encouraging tweet...

@PriscoCBS: The more I study and watch Robert Quinn and talk to teammates, the more I think he might be the league's next great edge rusher.

Max= Mid season form..Getting ready for some Football are ya? :lmao:

V3

Hall of Fame
He needs to develop more than two pass rush moves before he can be one of the best.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
albefree69 said:
max confusing me:
Playing next to Brockers should help Quinn bust out over the next year.
I thought he played next to Langford, no?

The DL goes LE Long LDT Langford RDT Brockers RE Quinn

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
rams24/7 with the straight poop:
Thanks 24/7! Obviously I didn't know that. It would help explain why Long's stats didn't shoot up like I thought they would last year.

Like max said, Brockers should help the guy he's playing next to. Which appears to be Quinn.

Damn! I'm not a big Langford fan. I sure hope he gets the intricacies of the 4-3 down this year and steps up his play.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
albefree69 said:
rams24/7 with the straight poop:
Thanks 24/7! Obviously I didn't know that. It would help explain why Long's stats didn't shoot up like I thought they would last year.

Like max said, Brockers should help the guy he's playing next to. Which appears to be Quinn.

Damn! I'm not a big Langford fan. I sure hope he gets the intricacies of the 4-3 down this year and steps up his play.

He had a solid 2012, he is just held up to the standard of 3 outstanding talents along the D-line. The emergence of Brock will only help the D-line, remember he missed the beginning of 2012. Brock & Long are 2 guys who will consistently command double teams which will open up favorable one on one matchups for Langford, Quinn, and others to make plays. Year 2 with the same Dline

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
rams24/7 going much farther than I would:
He had a solid 2012, he is just held up to the standard of 3 outstanding talents along the D-line.
I wish I had your confidence in Langford but the almost total lack of talk about his performance in practice and the first two games tells me something different. Of course it's early so we'll see.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't know about that but I do hope it's true.

iBruce

Pro Bowler
Name
Cory
albefree69 said:
rams24/7 going much farther than I would:
He had a solid 2012, he is just held up to the standard of 3 outstanding talents along the D-line.
I wish I had your confidence in Langford but the almost total lack of talk about his performance in practice and the first two games tells me something different. Of course it's early so we'll see.

Yeah, hard to compare Langford vs the 3 1st rounders next to him.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
albefree69 said:
Langford has the second highest salary on the D-line.

What's your point. This is kind of a no brainer. He should be the 2nd highest paid as he's a starter, Long is the best (highest paid), and Quinn and Brockers are still playing on their rookie contracts

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
This D-line can make a run at 60 sacks IMO, having another year together, with guys like Quinn & Brock who have yet to really break out and an improved back end will lead to more coverage sacks

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
rams24/7 wondered:
What's your point. This is kind of a no brainer. He should be the 2nd highest paid as he's a starter, Long is the best (highest paid), and Quinn and Brockers are still playing on their rookie contracts

This D-line can make a run at 60 sacks IMO, having another year together, with guys like Quinn & Brock who have yet to really break out and an improved back end will lead to more coverage sacks
My point is that he's not performing at a level commensurate with his salary. He's not performing at a level commensurate with his percentage of the CAP. The fact that Brockers and Quinn are performing above their salary levels is immaterial.

The fact that our D-line has a chance to be the leader in sacks is a testament to the abilities of the other D-line members. As far as I'm concerned he isn't even the fourth best D-line player. I would give that designation to Hayes. Langford didn't play well at all the first half of the season and while he picked up his play during the second half he was still the weak link in the chain.

Here's a blurb from PFF from week 13 of last year:
<a class="postlink" href="https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/12/04/pff-had-a-bad-day-team-of-week-13/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... f-week-13/</a>
Defense

Defensive Front 4-3

Defensive Ends: Michael Bennett, TB (-4.6) and Daniel Te’o-Nesheim, TB (-3.7)

Not a great week for our Bucs duo who managed just one hurry between them as the Broncos’ offensive tackles swallowed them up.

Defensive Tackle: Kendall Langford, SL (-5.1) and Randy Starks, MIA (-4.1)

It hasn’t quite worked out for Langford so far as a Ram, with the 49ers’ interior line getting the better of him. Starks poor day versus the Patriots continues his disappointing second half of the year after such a fine start to the season.

Those comments were typical for Langford all year.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
albefree69 said:
Alan reaching with generalizations

Toward the end of the season, Langford was getting more comfortable in his new role. His two sacks came after 12 games. He may not be flashing the big numbers you expected but he was pretty steady all year. Keep in mind, his former role was largely to clog holes and prevent his man from getting to the second level while the LBs attacked. Now he is being asked to both clog the holes and penetrate. Kendall played the most snaps of anyone on the line last year - even though he started with a high ankle sprain of his own. I doubt we will hear a lot from him at any given time but the guy will give you a reliable performance week in and week out.

All that being said, watch out for Conrath.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
albefree69 said:
rams24/7 wondered:

My point is that he's not performing at a level commensurate with his salary. He's not performing at a level commensurate with his percentage of the CAP. The fact that Brockers and Quinn are performing above their salary levels is immaterial.

The fact that our D-line has a chance to be the leader in sacks is a testament to the abilities of the other D-line members. As far as I'm concerned he isn't even the fourth best D-lin player. I would give that designation to Hayes. Langford didn't play well at all the first half of the season and while he picked up his play during the second half he was still the weak link in the chain.

Here's a blurb from PFF from week 13 of last year:
<a class="postlink" href="https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/12/04/pff-had-a-bad-day-team-of-week-13/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... f-week-13/</a>
Defense

Defensive Front 4-3

Defensive Ends: Michael Bennett, TB (-4.6) and Daniel Te’o-Nesheim, TB (-3.7)

Not a great week for our Bucs duo who managed just one hurry between them as the Broncos’ offensive tackles swallowed them up.

Defensive Tackle: Kendall Langford, SL (-5.1) and Randy Starks, MIA (-4.1)

It hasn’t quite worked out for Langford so far as a Ram, with the 49ers’ interior line getting the better of him. Starks poor day versus the Patriots continues his disappointing second half of the year after such a fine start to the season.

You're really citing PFF? Langford struggled the beginning of last year because Brockers wasn't fully healthy until about 6. The first handful of games he was getting the majority of the attention on the interior of the line because the undersized Cudjo was filling in for Brock. 27 tackles & 2 sacks isn't bad. And he's not your big, imposing, freak of a DT like Brock, but it doesn't mean he can't be effective at what he does. He's a gap shooter who uses his first step and agility to beat interior lineman. He and Brock complement each other, one the physical freak and another more finesse based. Long & Quinn are complements as well.

As for Langford being the 5th best, I'd agree, but Hayes being a great backup/utility D-lineman, again doesn't mean Langford is bad. I will agree Kendall is a bit overpaid, but every team has their overpaid and underpaid players. You could make the argument Sam is overpaid, doesn't mean he's a bad player though.

As for your quote of PFF on Langford struggling against the 49ers Dline: MOST players struggle versus their ENTIRE line! They have 3 Pro Bowlers on their line in addition to the 6'8" 300 pound Boone & Goodwin who is no slouch at C.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
RamFan503 said:
albefree69 said:
Alan reaching with generalizations

Toward the end of the season, Langford was getting more comfortable in his new role. His two sacks came after 12 games. He may not be flashing the big numbers you expected but he was pretty steady all year. Keep in mind, his former role was largely to clog holes and prevent his man from getting to the second level while the LBs attacked. Now he is being asked to both clog the holes and penetrate. Kendall played the most snaps of anyone on the line last year - even though he started with a high ankle sprain of his own. I doubt we will hear a lot from him at any given time but the guy will give you a reliable performance week in and week out.

All that being said, watch out for Conrath.

:plus1: