Prevent D?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Alan

Legend
Sum1 looking back:
I once heard John Madden say runners take a knee after scoring a TD to get closer to the grass to get more oxygen.
That must have been right before they fixed that carbon monoxide leak in his cruiser. You'll notice the "grass" he's talking about. :LOL:
18ncezd7a5ffijpg.jpg

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
Really? It worked for us yesterday? No it didn't. We won on a technicality, because TJ made a monster hit. If he doesn't hurt Evans on that play, it's a coin flip who wins on the ensuing FG.

TB was no threat to outrun our safeties. This was the perfect opportunity to use your front four, and let them pin the ears back to win the game.

Did we win?

So as it stands, it worked for us yesterday...

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
We won on an injury. The prevent would have given up a FG if not for Evans' unfortunate demise.

Possibly, but your scenario is a what if, where as we actually earned the big W yesterday.

In the end, the prevent worked for us.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Possibly, but your scenario is a what if, where as we actually earned the big W yesterday.

That's fine, but do you want to go through that heartache again and rely on what ifs?

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
That's fine, but do you want to go through that heartache again and rely on what ifs?

No. I would hope in most circumstances that we wouldn't have been called for that BS roughing the passer.

The prevent really would've worked then.

jjab360

Legend

I disagree. Just because we won, doesn't mean it worked for us. Using that logic, everything worked for us and we did nothing wrong yesterday.

The prevent gave up a big play and put the Bucs in FG range, we got lucky with the injury.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
I disagree. Just because we won, doesn't mean it worked for us. Using that logic, everything worked for us and we did nothing wrong yesterday.

The prevent gave up a big play and put the Bucs in FG range, we got lucky with the injury.

Would you have wanted to play it straight and give Jackson or Evans a chance to go up and get a ball against one of our defenders if we weren't playing prevent?

I don't like our matchups in that situation.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
surprisingly enough the Rams still got decent pressure from the 3 man rush, but i agree, why change what the defense has done all day in the last 1 or 2 minutes.
Time left on the clock is what changed, and it wasn't like Tampa wasn't able to put together some quick drives against us. All defenses tighten up in that situation to defend against field goal position anyway.

I'm not a fan of running prevent all the time, but when you can exploit the clock for a win, you do it. Very similar taking a knee to run out the clock in my opinion.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Would you have wanted to play it straight and give Jackson or Evans a chance to go up and get a ball against one of our defenders if we weren't playing prevent?

I don't like our matchups in that situation.

Yes, I would rather do this. They aren't a threat to score with the field position they had. The worst case scenario is what happened to our prevent D.

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Time left on the clock is what changed, and it wasn't like Tampa wasn't able to put together some quick drives against us. All defenses tighten up in that situation to defend against field goal position anyway.

I'm not a fan of running prevent all the time, but when you can exploit the clock for a win, you do it. Very similar taking a knee to run out the clock in my opinion.

without the 10 second runoff the rams probably lose as the prevent defense didnt prevent a pass completion within field goal range and the bucs have a shot at a field goal attempt.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
Yes, I would rather do this. They aren't a threat to score with the field position they had. The worst case scenario is what happened to our prevent D.

I've seen Vincent Jackson go up and grab too many balls with multiple DBs blanketed on him to feel comfortable saying that he's not a threat to score. More likely though, I don't have confidence that these refs, in general and in this game specifically, aren't going to look for any possible reason to throw a flag on a PI.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
without the 10 second runoff the rams probably lose as the prevent defense didnt prevent a pass completion within field goal range and the bucs have a shot at a field goal attempt.

You must know an awful lot about street free agent kicker Patrick Murray to treat a 49-yarder as if it were close to being a sure thing.

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You must know an awful lot about street free agent kicker Patrick Murray to treat a 49-yarder as if it were close to being a sure thing.
i said a shot at a field goal. never said he'd make it. my point was that the prevent defense didnt stop tampa, a 10 second runoff rule did.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
i said a shot at a field goal. never said he'd make it. my point was that the prevent defense didnt stop tampa, a 10 second runoff rule did.

You said we'd "probably lose."

In order to do that, their unknown kicker would've had to hit a 49-yarder.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
They ran out of time, and the prevent defense was part of that, like it or not.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Really? It worked for us yesterday? No it didn't. We won on a technicality, because TJ made a monster hit. If he doesn't hurt Evans on that play, it's a coin flip who wins on the ensuing FG.

TB was no threat to outrun our safeties. This was the perfect opportunity to use your front four, and let them pin the ears back to win the game.

Exactly right. I always have a totally different perspective being at the game and this is no different. That hit by TJ McDonald was just brutal. He was leveling fools out there.

And TB was stupid. The PLAYERS should have carried him off. Instead they looked to the training staff to do it. That necessitated the 10 second run off. From where they were, the Tampa kicker could easily made that kick. He's not GZ, but he's got leg (and he knows how to use it).

Felt like the only call we got the whole game, but it came at the right time. But that prevent? As soon as Evans caught that ball, if he pops up... it's a real nail-biter on if the Rams can block it. Kick were taking a tad longer because the field was wet from the rain. Balls were clearly slippery. So 50-50 sounds about right. Maybe a bit higher for TB, but not guaranteed, by any means.

But the bigger question is with 1 minute left, why did Fisher shut down the offense?

RamzFanz

Damnit
Exactly right. I always have a totally different perspective being at the game and this is no different. That hit by TJ McDonald was just brutal. He was leveling fools out there.

And TB was stupid. The PLAYERS should have carried him off. Instead they looked to the training staff to do it. That necessitated the 10 second run off. From where they were, the Tampa kicker could easily made that kick. He's not GZ, but he's got leg (and he knows how to use it).

Felt like the only call we got the whole game, but it came at the right time. But that prevent? As soon as Evans caught that ball, if he pops up... it's a real nail-biter on if the Rams can block it. Kick were taking a tad longer because the field was wet from the rain. Balls were clearly slippery. So 50-50 sounds about right. Maybe a bit higher for TB, but not guaranteed, by any means.

But the bigger question is with 1 minute left, why did Fisher shut down the offense?

It's all second guessing but I was ticked when Fisher went to run only. I get it, don't turn the ball over, run down the clock, get the lead. But isn't that also when he could have put the game out of reach by doing the unexpected? Yes, the conservative approach is perceived to be safer but it almost blew up in his face. If dude gets up from that hit Tampa most likely wins.

I would have been happier with a least one shot at a TD when they least expect it like on 3rd down. Not only that, they could have gotten a first down and run the clock out.

iced

Fisher actually took the blame for the final play call