Prevent D?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

apatl187

UDFA
When is Fisher the veteran coach going to learn an average qb can get a team in field goal range in a matter of no time when we do this. We should be attacking putting pressure. I hate prevent. It rarely works. We've all seen it time n time again!!

bskrilla

Starter
When is Fisher the veteran coach going to learn an average qb can get a team in field goal range in a matter of no time when we do this. We should be attacking putting pressure. I hate prevent. It rarely works. We've all seen it time n time again!!

I'd really love to see some numbers on this. How often the prevent D "works" vs. how often it fails. I have my own personal feelings about it, but I have no actual data to back it up.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
I kind of agree though. I would have liked to see at least 4 DLmen on the final play

CoachO

Hall of Fame
yo do realize that Fisher isn't the one running the defense right? Why does everyone just generalize with sort of commentary?

apatl187

UDFA
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
yo do realize that Fisher isn't the one running the defense right? Why does everyone just generalize with sort of commentary?
Fisher has the power to overrule anything.. He is head coach.. Williams should get equal responsibility. He's an aggressive coach that put them in prevent. I just am saying I don't understand. Why u change what ur doing. This is the time to tee off. That's what his D is designed to do

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Fisher has the power to overrule anything.. He is head coach.. Williams should get equal responsibility. He's an aggressive coach that put them in prevent. I just am saying I don't understand. Why u change what ur doing. This is the time to tee off. That's what his D is designed to do
It's just playing the odds. I don't have actual numbers, but dime, cover-4, and cloud coverages tend to limit big gains more than they hurt you. Bringing the house also has its advantages and disadvantages in those situations. Take a look at what Sanu did today against the blitz, for example. Williams was just banking on his front 3 or 4 getting just enough pressure to let his secondary be in position to make a play without giving up the home run.

Dr C. Hill

Rookie
Name
Doc
I hate it when they decide to only rush 3. The most average QB in the league looks like Dan Freaking Marino when he has almost no fear of a pass rush, and can sit back and wait for coverage to break down.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have questions at times about the prevent d - but didn't it, in fact, work today? The Rams won, the Bucs didn't have time to get down field AND kick a field goal.

For all the hand wringing about Evans' "injury" and the ten second run off - it was dubious that the whole Buc offense could have gotten 29 yards downfield, gotten set, and been able to spike the ball without penalty in that time.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
John Madden once said, "All a prevent defense does is prevent you from winning."

I have to agree. I remember seeing Marty the Shottie blow numerous games for the Chiefs by overusing the prevent.

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd really love to see some numbers on this. How often the prevent D "works" vs. how often it fails. I have my own personal feelings about it, but I have no actual data to back it up.
surprisingly enough the Rams still got decent pressure from the 3 man rush, but i agree, why change what the defense has done all day in the last 1 or 2 minutes. very aggravating to watch. because i noticed a 20 or 30 yard completion immediately upon "prevent" defense, which honestly other than some not oft used rule, could have spelled defeat for the Rams after their own impressive 2 minute drill.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
Well, the prevent D worked for us yesterday. And I do know the Saints weren't playing prevent against Cleveland when they hit a long gainer after a blown coverage to give them the game.

So by memory it's 2/2 or 100% successful. ;)

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
I have questions at times about the prevent d - but didn't it, in fact, work today? The Rams won, the Bucs didn't have time to get down field AND kick a field goal.

For all the hand wringing about Evans' "injury" and the ten second run off - it was dubious that the whole Buc offense could have gotten 29 yards downfield, gotten set, and been able to spike the ball without penalty in that time.
Looked like they had the troops lined up and waiting for Evans to get off the field with about 9 ticks left on the clock. Now the pressure kick for the rookie is another story, but I'm willing to bet they're able to get the ball spiked.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
John Madden once said, "All a prevent defense does is prevent you from winning."
I once heard John Madden say runners take a knee after scoring a TD to get closer to the grass to get more oxygen.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Really? It worked for us yesterday? No it didn't. We won on a technicality, because TJ made a monster hit. If he doesn't hurt Evans on that play, it's a coin flip who wins on the ensuing FG.

TB was no threat to outrun our safeties. This was the perfect opportunity to use your front four, and let them pin the ears back to win the game.