GAME DAY Preseason Week 1: Rams at Chargers - 10pm ET

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Game Day Thread

The GDT is a live thread tradition here at ROD.

While we all get fired up watching the game, please remember our core principles;we always show respect for our team and each other.

Despite the emotional highs and lows watching a game, we will moderate this thread with that in mind, however please refrain from name calling. This applies to players, the Rams organization, and others.

This is the core rule of the GDT. Moderators are tasked to issue thread bans, at a minimum, to maintain this standard.

This is our team. Win or lose. Good days and bad. We are here for FUN, not to be dragged down.

A more loosely moderated atmosphere can be found in the chat room.

Go Rams!

———

ROD Chat Room;

Game Day Room

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Los Angeles Rams at Los Angeles Chargers: How to watch, listen, and live stream​

Here's how you can watch, listen to and live stream the Rams at Chargers preseason game on Saturday, August 13, 2022.

MATCHUP

The Rams take on the Chargers on Saturday at SoFi Stadium in Inglewood, California as the road team. The two teams last met in the preseason on August 14, 2021, a 13-6 victory for the Chargers at SoFi Stadium.

Kickoff for Saturday's game is scheduled for 7 p.m. pacific time. Fans in Los Angeles can watch Saturday's game on KABC-7.

WATCH ON TV

TV Coverage: KABC-7 (locally in Los Angeles, plus other TV partners – see below)
Play-by-Play: Andrew Siciliano
Color Analysts: Mina Kimes and Andrew Whitworth
Sideline reporter: Curt Sandoval
Preseason TV:

ABC7/KABC-TV – Los Angeles
KOAT ABC 7 - Albuquerque, NM
KBAK CBS 29 – Bakersfield, CA
KFRE CW 59 – Fresno/Visalia, CA
KPSP CBS 2 – Palm Springs, CA
KKFX FOX 11 – Santa Barbara/Santa Maria/San Luis Obispo, CA
KSWB FOX 5 – San Diego, CA
KHON FOX 2 – Honolulu, HI
KJZZ 14 – Salt Lake City, UT
KNSN Nevada Sports Net – Reno, NV
KYUR CW 13.2 – Anchorage, AK
KATN CW 2.3 – Fairbanks, AK
KJUD CW 8.3 – Juneau, AK
WATCH ON MOBILE

A live stream will be available on the following platforms if the game is available on TV in the local market:

Rams official app for iOS devices
Club mobile website for iOS devices (Safari browser ONLY)
*Please check your local TV listings to confirm availability. iOS mobile web and app users should "Allow Location Access" (via Settings > Privacy > Location Services > Safari). Geographic and device restrictions apply. Local & primetime games only.

LISTEN ON RADIO

Local Radio coverage: ESPN LA 710 AM

Play-by-Play: J.B. Long
Color Analyst: Maurice Jones-Drew
Sideline: D'Marco Farr
ESPNLA's affiliate radio stations:

KLSD/1360 AM – San Diego, CA
KKUU - HD2 - Palm Springs, CA
KTIE/590 AM – Riverside, CA
KAVL/610 AM & 106.7 FM – Lancaster, CA
KSMA/1240 AM & 99.5 FM - Santa Maria, CA
KMET/1490 AM - Banning, CA
Spanish Radio coverage: Tu Liga Radio 1330 AM

Play-by-Play: Troy Santiago
Color Analyst: Ricardo Lopez
Tu Liga Radio's affiliate radio stations:

KTMZ/1220 AM – Pomona, CA
KWAC/1490 AM – Bakersfield, CA
KGST/1600 AM – Fresno, CA
KCAL/1410 AM - Riverside/San Bernardino, CA
KXLM/102.9 FM/KOXR 910 AM - Oxnard/Ventura, CA

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

These are the Rams to watch closely in preseason opener against Chargers​

Star players came through for the Rams the last time they played at SoFi Stadium.

Quarterback Matthew Stafford, receiver Cooper Kupp, defensive lineman Aaron Donald and cornerback Jalen Ramsey played key roles in a Super Bowl LVI victory over the Cincinnati Bengals on their home turf.

None of those stars, or any other starter or key veteran player, will play for the Rams during the preseason, which begins Saturday night against the Chargers at SoFi — the Rams’ first time back since rolling in the confetti after defeating the Bengals exactly six months before.

For the last four seasons, Rams coach Sean McVay has been at the forefront of sidelining starters during preseason games.

Five areas to watch against the Chargers:

Can Tutu Atwell take the next step?

Receiver Van Jefferson’s status for the Sept. 8 opener against the Buffalo Bills is in doubt as he recovers from knee surgery, so Atwell’s development is of paramount importance for that game and beyond.

Atwell, a second-round draft pick last year, is coming off a disappointing rookie season that ended with shoulder surgery.

After working closely with Kupp during the offseason, Atwell showed during training camp the speed and ball-tracking ability that McVay and general manager Les Snead trumpeted after they surprisingly selected the diminutive Atwell high in the draft.

During practices at UC Irvine, Atwell made one or two plays on deep routes every workout. He also appeared to gain confidence as a kick returner.

“They brought me here for a reason, and that’s to take the top off and do whatever it takes on special teams,” Atwell said. “When my number is called, I have to show them they can rely on me.”

McVay said Atwell has matured since last year. Now he must show he can perform in games.

“It’s one thing to do it in practice, it’s another thing to do it in situations that really count,” McVay said. “So, want to see this stuff continue to translate.”

QB Bryce Perkins fights for roster spot

Last season, Perkins was destined for the practice squad as the No. 3 quarterback behind Stafford and backup John Wolford.

But Perkins played so well during the preseason, the Rams could not afford to cut him when rosters were trimmed to 53 and add him to the practice squad because another team almost certainly would have signed him.

When the season starts, Stafford is expected to play through elbow tendinitis that has plagued him but McVay still wants depth behind Wolford.

Perkins knows the Rams’ system and has said he has better command at the line of scrimmage than a year ago.

Are these rookie cornerbacks ready?

Decobie Durant, a fourth-round pick from South Carolina State, and Derion Kendrick, a sixth-round pick from Georgia, never backed down during camp, challenging Kupp and new receiver Allen Robinson daily. Both young players intercepted passes and got work with the first-team defense.

McVay said second-year pro Robert Rochell also would play during the preseason. Rochell started five games last season before suffering a chest injury.

Rookie safety Russ Yeast is another young defensive back aiming to find a role beyond special teams.

Can rookie Logan Bruss start at guard?

The Rams drafted Bruss in the third round — with their first pick — with the intent of having the Wisconsin standout replace Austin Corbett at right guard.

During camp, however, Coleman Shelton took most first-team reps.

So, the Rams might be planning to go with the versatile Shelton to start the season, give Bruss playing time and then eventually move the rookie into the starting role. That way, Shelton remains available as a backup at center and both guard spots.

Tackle A.J. Arcuri, a seventh-round pick from Michigan State, also will play.

Bruss and Arcuri are not expected to be blocking for rookie running back Kyren Williams on Saturday. Williams had foot surgery during the spring and came off the physically unable to perform list near the end of training camp. The Rams probably will not play him against the Chargers.

Who will stand out on special teams?

On a team loaded with proven players, the road to a roster spot is on special teams. Kendrick, Durant, Yeast and rookie outside linebacker Daniel Hardy are players to watch.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
DjayzRL.gif

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Well, now we get to see if Bryce Perkins is better in game action as opposed to practice. I liked Perkins at Virginia as he seemed to be able to carry his team on his back at times. However, he struggles with deep passes and according to Ram brothers, he also struggles with progressions.

I don't expect Little Johnny Wolford to play tonight, most likely Perkins with maybe a little Perez. Hopefully the Rams can make enough plays to make it competitive plus maybe they can run the football effectively. So a quick list I'm looking at.

1. Jake Funk, can he actually run the ball consistently as it always seems like he's just a back to take the ball a few times. I would like to feed Funk to see how he holds up.
  2. Tutu Atwell, Go make a play or two, Tutu. He's been the toast of camp, be nice to see him make a few plays this evening.
  3. Offensive Line, Not sure of they will play Jackson I wouldn't let's take a look at Arcuri, Brewer & Bobby Evans. @bubbaramfan had Evans making the squad and in order for that to come to fruition I need to see him make a few blocks in the run game and not whiff in pass protection.
  4. Daniel Hardy, Let's Go Big Montana, go get their Quarterbacks.
Also the defense overall and the improvement in stopping the run game too.

1660396637550.png

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Well, now we get to see if Bryce Perkins is better in game action as opposed to practice. I liked Perkins at Virginia as he seemed to be able to carry his team on his back at times. However, he struggles with deep passes and according to Ram brothers, he also struggles with progressions.
Yes and the WCO is the scheme to be in if your arm is weak. I don't think his arm strength is going to end his time here. They've known what his arm strength is since they added him.

What's going to kill him is not progressing in the offense as a developmental QB. Maybe there's a reason, as in maybe they put more on him this year at the LOS in his pre-snap reads. Hard to know what's what unless we're in that QB room, but either way as a third QB your role is to improve year to year and he definitely has not done that. And this is a bad year to be a dev QB who took a step backwards because this roster is loaded.

I figure he'll have a solid game though, just based on him facing the carpetbaggers last year in a good showing. He's got a ton of talent around him, no reason why he can't settle in and do some good things. I do think he's going to have to play crazy good to win a roster spot, i.e. it is unlikely he can overcome what's happened thus far. But you never know.

Excited to see some Rams football tonight. There should be a ton of good things happening if this roster is as deep as we think it is.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Regarding Perkins, Jourdan again mentions that there's internal belief that he'll garner attention in the preseason.

Couple things could all be true:
1) Perkins looked like crap in camp so far.
2) Rams want to see what he looks like again in preseason when the bullets are "live," so to speak to see if he's worth keeping for further development.
3) Wolford is only signed for this year (is that right?), if Perkins continues to develop, I imagine he's a cheaper option for the Rams for next year. (For Rams team build, finding savings at the bottom of the roster continues to be really important)
4) Rams will showcase him in preseason and will flip him if someone offers a low pick.

Hope he lights it up! Would be a good problem to have.

Psycho_X

Legend
Stupid ass 9pm start times lol. At least it's saturday but I'm going to be mostly drunk before game ever starts.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Stupid ass 9pm start times lol. At least it's saturday but I'm going to be mostly drunk before game ever starts.
Ditto. I will have to watch playback. It starts 11pm here. Too late.

dang

Legend
Hungry for any football but honestly don’t need to see anyone already locked into the 53 man roster playing. So the preseason is really going to be knocking rust off a couple newer players and determining the last 3 roster spots/PS.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Hungry for any football but honestly don’t need to see anyone already locked into the 53 man roster playing. So the preseason is really going to be knocking rust off a couple newer players and determining the last 3 roster spots/PS.
Thats what I like to watch for in preseason: individual play

It’s great to win, but this is about player evaluation.

Tano

Legend
Thats what I like to watch for in preseason: individual play

It’s great to win, but this is about player evaluation.
I don't really expect us to win. Too vanilla in preseason. Probably will be a close low scoring game though.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
The local stations here show all the 49ers and Raiders game all season. But they show all the Rams preseason games. Wish that would carry over to the regular season. Although they do have more prime time games. They play the 49ers twice and the Raiders once. And there's always a few CBS or Fox game of the week that isn't the same time as the 49ers. I think I might end up having 10-12 games on the local stations here. The rest I have to stream.