Preseason Game #1 Observations

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
It's preseason Gurley gets hurt by trying to gain an extra 2 yards is it really worth it. Gurley is a back that builds momentum the more he carries the ball you can't expect much when he only have 4 carries and 2 of them got blown up before he even got the snap

This is what a lot of people don't understand. All the really good backs need to get into a rhythm and a sliver of daylight to run through.

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
Mannion is our #2 he's in no danger from Safety Dan. He's not spectacular but he's a viable backup.

I agree. Mannion is good enough to be the #2. I was at training camp in Irvine and there is NO WAY Orvlowski is as good as Mannion. I noticed right away at camp that Orvlowski's hips are locked. Completely immobile and not much of an arm. I actually think Mannion can be pretty darn good if he gets more real reps.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I'll tell you one area where we know they already looked better than GRob. How many penalties did those two have? Oh zero? Huh imagine that.
Hard to hold when you're just letting guys blow by....LOL...

Seriously, technique was improved on most linemen...hands were inside. But I'll agree, no penalties.
GRob just posted "Hold my beer" on twitter not sure what that means :D
He's about to put in some work!!!! LMAO:rolllaugh::ROFLMAO:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Well, Murphy got more playing time because of the injury to Andrew Donnal, who is number 6 offensive linemen at this juncture, but Darryl Williams played very well against the 2nd's & 3rd's and hopefully Donnal will be back next week so he can get some reps and if Jamon does not showcase any improvement, Donnal is next man up.

The second unit of the offensive line last night was:

LT...Murphy
LG...Eldrenkamp
C...Blythe
RG...Wichmann
RT....Williams

Then after Murphy had issues, they flipflopped Williams & Murphy and moved Eldrenkamp to Center and finished the game with:

LT...Williams
LG...Wichmann
C...Eldrenkamp
RG...Kozan
RT...Murphy/Dunn

Dunn not only got beat on the play, but held as well and needs to stay on the bench, Kozan did not showcase much, however, Williams is far more athletic than Murphy and Eldrenkamp, IMO, was better than Blythe and I would like to see him against the number two's next week at Center.

That's an excellent break down. I think The Rams are moving guys around a lot so they have to beable to just fit in.

Once Greg Robinson was going to 2nd string his value really went down.He has a hard enough time learning one position.
In practice I noticed how much Pace Murray played all positions..Williams wasn't looking as good. Last night was different.
Donnal has been seriously missed.

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
Can someone please explain to me how Woods fumbles on the 3 yd line into the end zone and Kupp falls on it for a TD.

Yes. I'll explain it. Woods catches the pass but then is hit by a defender. The ball stops making contact with Woods' arm and goes air born. Kupp's eyes see where the ball went and so he positions his legs to take him there. Once there, he turns off all the muscles in both legs and his torso drops to the ground/ball and he lays on it.

;)

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
I thought the effort was solid...here's some things that stood out for me...

Jamon Brown won't be our starting right guard.... the right side of the line got blown up on running plays with the first string...and based on McVay praising Hav, and then being lukewarm on Jamon..i'm assuming the tape shows he didn't play well again.... but honestly.... we need to fix the right side of the line...

also..goes without saying we need AD back.....

Justin Davis...his fumbling isn't going to get it done.... he never reached his potential at USC, now he's fumbling.... we don't need that... also...where is Aaron Green?? Llouvre looked good and I'd like to see more of Tillery...

Shakir didn't do too much...but I like him as a punt returner....the guys explosive...

another thing that stood out to me was the brief time that Johnson was in the game...he was out there laying the hammer...that unnecessary roughness call was not a good call..that was actually textbook how you make that play....then he made another big hit on the next play.... I could see him moving ahead of Cody Davis...

Kupp looks solid.....also... as far as Spruce.... he's played 2 preseason games and has literally caught every pass that was thrown his way.... we need to figure out a way to keep him...

Everrett Higbee and even Hemmingway look solid.... TE is a plus for us right now....

Goff looked more comfortable...and other than holding on to the ball a little too long but he looked big in the pocket and threw the ball well...

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
We'll see? I was not impressed after the Rams drafted Donnal, thought it was a reach and when he played his first game at LG, it was a disaster. However, later in 2015, he started against the Ravens at RT and was having a good game before his injury and last season surprised especially when he was called upon to play LT against the Saints.

Overall, I understand they wanted Havenstein at RG because they thought he got a better push in the run game, but in the Charger scrimmage, Brown struggled protecting the Quarterback in pass protection and that is why they went back to Havenstein at RT and thought having Brown play guard in what he was more familiar with, he would play well, but Brown did fine in pass protection against the Cowboys, but was an epic fail with his run blocking.

Again, I'm not sure about Donnal's injury, but I like to see him get some reps on the right side teamed with Havenstein before I jump off the Tallahatchie Bridge.

I'm curious to see if they switch them again. I like Brown at RT & Big Rob Hav at RG

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Reading a few things on here re Donnell.
After last night's showing by our OL, his stock just went up!

When drafted, it was said he would need a little time to develop while Havs, it was believed, came in NFL ready. This much seems to holding true.

Don't recall whether or not Donnell was earmarked for Tackle or Guard, but both he and Wichman have a shot to seize the starting job that SHOULD be vacated by Brown.

No, this is not an overreaction after 1 preseason game. I haven't liked Brown's play since LAST preseason. Too slow.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Think it was said before but it was disheartening to see Gurley not stretch that one running play to the outside and cutting in. Shades of his lack of vision from last year (where the hell did his vision go from 2015????)

Rams leaned a lot on the outside zone run, looks like as Vinny says it will be a staple of this offense.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I thought the effort was solid...here's some things that stood out for me...

Jamon Brown won't be our starting right guard.... the right side of the line got blown up on running plays with the first string...and based on McVay praising Hav, and then being lukewarm on Jamon..i'm assuming the tape shows he didn't play well again.... but honestly.... we need to fix the right side of the line...

also..goes without saying we need AD back.....

Justin Davis...his fumbling isn't going to get it done.... he never reached his potential at USC, now he's fumbling.... we don't need that... also...where is Aaron Green?? Llouvre looked good and I'd like to see more of Tillery...

Shakir didn't do too much...but I like him as a punt returner....the guys explosive...

another thing that stood out to me was the brief time that Johnson was in the game...he was out there laying the hammer...that unnecessary roughness call was not a good call..that was actually textbook how you make that play....then he made another big hit on the next play.... I could see him moving ahead of Cody Davis...

Kupp looks solid.....also... as far as Spruce.... he's played 2 preseason games and has literally caught every pass that was thrown his way.... we need to figure out a way to keep him...

Everrett Higbee and even Hemmingway look solid.... TE is a plus for us right now....

Goff looked more comfortable...and other than holding on to the ball a little too long but he looked big in the pocket and threw the ball well...

Davies did look good. As Marshall said about the fumbling. It is the first time these guys are taking hits.They will be alright. Davies need to work in his pass protection as well. He does catch the well out of the backfield.
Spruuuce?? Copper is a better WR.

Wonder how Sam Rodgers will be . Works hard , but a little slow.

Cody Davies is a FS & a core special teams guy. Was nice to see Kiyner come in on that :rd down play.

The thing that will be interesting is how much players improve.The Rams coaching staff is real solid.
--Kromer is moving guys different looks & will put the best offensive line together.His son is learning & is a good addition.Dickerson(coach) as well

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Pace Murphy........go back & center in on him @ his play @ both OT posts. Did you notice anything attached to him? Anyone mention that ? Do you guys see a massive shoulder& elbow brace encased anywhere on him? In addition just how much arm & shoulder movement power did Pace Murphy have in that left side?

Playing on that left side & that left arm issue would make it difficult. usually the left side is attacked more that the right shoulder/arm side on pass rushes. Pace Murphy did hold up much better when he was on the right side where his healthy arm/shoulder was not at the disadvantage.

I was surprised to see Pace Murphy playing after missing most of last weeks practices after that injury. One would surmised that with the main #1 reserve OT out (Andrew Donnal) & OT Whitworth would see very limited action the Rams were short on OT's. Guess Murphy wanted to get in some action & played with the pain & the limited movement of that arm & shoulder. It also forced OG/OT Micheal Dunn into heavy action @ OT too.

Jamon Brown looked like the 2015 & 2016 version of Jamon Brown:( he was not playing with any supersized restricting Brace. Looks to me Cody Wichmann is the nest man up just like in 2015 when he replaced Brown & in 2016 when he beat Brown out @ RG.

Last edited:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Couldn't agree more. Loved seeing my boy Pharoh making plays. If he is in a battle with Spruce for a roster spot, he definitely moved ahead
I'm not convinced about Cooper he was targeted twice and caught both passes for 25 yards, Spruce was targeted 6 times and caught all 6 passes, even though he only totaled 30 yards, I'm still routing for him! It's just week #1 of the pre-season!!

KOWALSKI

Rookie
i agree with everything jerry said but one point.
tackling looked bad. hager is part of the second unit and i don't wanna see him out there.

Ram65

Legend
It's hard to follow the preseason games with less replays and many replacements.

We all saw Brown looking bad and Gurley not having room to run. Goff made some nice throws. The fumbling was horrible. You hear talk that teams don't need preseason games but they do as this game proves they do. It was hard to get a feel on Gurley but, I think he could have pounced on outside on one play. Justin Davis a smooth glider but can't hold onto the ball. Malcolm Brown is a good straight runner that is hard to bring down. I would like having Benny C around as he could block, run and catch. Lot's of speculation who takes over for Brown. They have to find an answer. I hard for me to speculate.

Pharoh Cooper over Spruce
Cooper showed his quickness and ability to get off the line quick. I wondered earlier in the week where he was lining up and was happy to see him outside. That means he can move around and will not be just a slot guy.

Ejuan Price
Got some pressures and IIRC got a holding call.

Gerald Everett
Showed that running back ability making people miss. It was posted he made a couple blocks on one play.

Longacre, Westbrooks, Fox
They showed up with pressure and being around the ball.

Gupp
Got some nice YPC and heads up play for the TD.

Sportsed

Pro Bowler
Gotta say, I agree with most of the write ups----thought maybe I was being too hard on JBrown. Thought Goff looked poised, confident, and seemed to be in control-----wasn't running for his life like last year. Cupp's a starter amd will be an excellent player for us. Everett will be starting too in front of Higbee; Everett catches the ball so easily, reminds me of aWR instead of a TE-----he's a better blocker as well. None of the "speed" WR played last night-----Watkins, Austin, Reynolds, or Thomas----so no deep throws. Watched Eldrenkamp a little and liked what I saw outta him. It's preseason, they wanted to see what the right side 1st string blocking would look like in the run game, don't think they were impressed------they'll get that fixed or at least improved no doubt. Liked Longacre, Fox. and TSmart up front on the defense. Most of the starting defensive guys played well even without AD, Quinn, etc.-----think Westbrooks will be fine if he starts. The game got sloppy, too many fumbles, penalties but it's preseason game 1 so that's expected; half of these players won/t be active on game days anyway. It was a good start and we'll see continued improvement in execution, timing, and player performance going forward. Liked JDavis, for some reason he's faster than I thought, and I see SRyan on the ps

dolphinlover123

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Gotta say, I agree with most of the write ups----thought maybe I was being too hard on JBrown.
I think I agree with you. It's just that he got blown up on the first play of the season. So people, including myself, will anchor in on that. But I'm willing to not panic yet.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
QB
J. Goff:
Looked good but only had 4 throws so it's impossible to evaluate him.

S. Mannion: He proved we have a very solid backup.

D. Orlovsky: This guy has no place in the NFL.

RB
T. Gurley:
He made a nice play in the passing game but his running was reminiscent of last season (largely because our O-line couldn't block)

J. Davis: He ran like our best RB aside from the fumbling and fumbling gets you cut.

M. Brown: Quitely averaged 5 yards per carry.

OL
A. Whitworth: The bright spot on the O-line for sure.

J. Brown: Trash! He got beat more times than I could count.

R. Havenstein: Faired ok in pass protection but wasn't getting push in the running game.

A. Blythe: Had trouble finding someone to block multiple times and had that horrible high snap.

WR
C. Kupp:
Seemed like a veteran WR. He had a drop but made a few quality plays including diving on the ball for a TD.

N. Spruce: He caught absolutely everything but it was all short yardage and did very little after the catch.

P. Cooper: Made some catches down the field and got open. He looks like he is getting it.

P. McRoberts: Had a drop, slipped in a route, and didn't separate much. His best play was the tackle on the called back fumble from Hemingway.

R. Woods: Ugly debute. He dropped Goff's catchable first pass and then fumbled the slant route pass that luckily Kupp was able to dive on.

TE
G. Everett:
He impressed. He had one drop but made people miss on a couple of nice grabs.

T. Higbee: Most of his work came as a blocker. He struggled to get open and will probably fall behind Everett on the depth chart if Everett can show he can block.

T. Hemingway: He definitely has the tools to get separation but didn't hold his blocks. Great route runner though. Had the one third down drop but it was a tough catch.

DL
E. Westbrooks:
He was getting some good penetration. He probably should have had at least one sack.

T. Smart: Played excellent. He had a motor! He held his own on the interior, deflected a pass, and made the play on the fumble recovery late in the game.

L. Trinca-Pasat: Not bad. The QB knew he was there.

M. Longacre: He made some lineman look like silly tonight. Showed great pass rush ability and tackled well.

M. Fox: Bullied the blockers and got pressure. Played well against the run too.

M. Purcell: Clogged the middle pretty well. He even chased down a receiver to the sideline.

LB
C.Thompson:
What a pleasant surprise! He was all over the field! He was involved in several tackles, forced a fumble and even got a sack! Wow!

J. Forrest: No mistakes. He made a great play on ST.

F. Orimolade: Yikes. The most memorable play he had was when he got absolutely toasted by the TE up the seam for a TD.

B. Hager: Not physically imposing but technically sound. Made some good tackles and assisted in a pass block.

A. Ogletree: Made one tackle and forced a 3 & out for Dallas on their first possession.

C. Littleton: He was eager to hit in run support. Not so quick in coverage.

E. Price: He spent a lot of time chasing plays but never seemed to be where he should have been.

DB
M. Christian:
Heavy hitter and flies to the ball. Just needs to learn to wrap up on tackles.

K. Peterson: He got picked on a lot. He can tackle but he can't cover well at all.

C. Davis: Very quick tonight. Didn't let anyone behind him and even got involved at SS.

T. Hill: He was hit and miss. He slipped on one play and gave up a 1st down. He probably showed enough to deserve more attention though.

L. Joyner: Limited action but looked like he has embraced his new role. He made the exceptional tackle to prevent the 1st down on the Cowboy's first drive.

B. Countess: Meh. He was involved. That's all I can say.

J.Johnson: Hardly knew he was there. He made one tackle.

N. Rodney-Coleman: He did well in coverage but had questionable tackling. He is undersized and got man-handled by McFadden. I saw him reluctant to make a hit on a couple occasions.

Dang, ramrasta!

I'm truly impressed, man.