Preseason game 1: O-line review

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Riverrumbbq:

I think you’re spot on when it comes to your take on the OL, I just don’t see moving Anchrum to Guard in anticipation of Evans bottoming out. Havs may end up playing his way outta LA and into a fat contract elsewhere. I’d like to see Anchrum get as many real game reps vs non-Rams as possible right now. It would be a major plus if he plays well enough to convince the Rams he can take over the job next season.

Meredith to LG though, is a different story. Cross training him to potentially be the swing guard would be invaluable should he prove up to the task. It would mean no more Noteboom at Guard and Evans would not necessarily be the next man up.

Going forward, a 2022 OL entering the draft that already featured Noteboom (LT), Edwards (LG), Allen (C), Corbett (RG), and Anchrum (LT) with Meredith as interior depth and Jackson and Evans backing up the tackles would not be a lousy spot to be in.

While I can certainly appreciate Anchrum's ability to play RT, and potentially back-up Havenstein for 2021, I also see no reason to avoid using him in a swing role as an OG while Havenstein is healthy. If Anchrum is as adept at playing RG as he appears to be at RT, that's the direction I take. Evans' OG melt-down changes the way management anticipated for our OL to proceed in the near-term, it's already elevated Allen back to starter status at Center and caused Corbett to return to his 2020 position at RG, and our depth at both positions currently appears somewhat destabilized now.
Havenstein's contract runs thru the 2022 season and he's really not overly expensive for a starting grade RT, I really can't see both Whitworth & Havenstein being permitted to depart together should Whit's expected retirement following our current season proceed.
If Anchrum, whose physical size limitations may seem to portend an OG/C career over that of an OT, he could potentially become a 4 position swing man (RG, LG, C, RT) if his cross-training development continues successfully, ... and what a depth boost such a guy could offer this team.
Anchrum passed his first test quite well against the Chargers on Saturday, but unless the Rams are prepared to cast Evans off the team entirely, then Anchrum's usefulness is better spread around to help us depth wise. If Evans can get back to his 2019 playing ability at RT, he still presents a needed level of depth at RT, even if he's only become a one trick pony. If Evans fails to revive his career at RT this pre-season, I see no valid reasons for maintaining him on our roster. jmo.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

6 takeaways from the Rams offensive line’s performance against the Chargers

The Rams front five had an up and down game

By Christopher Daniel Aug 15, 2021,
  • NFL: New England Patriots at Los Angeles Rams

The Los Angeles Rams dropped their first preseason game of 2021 to the Brandon Staley-led Los Angeles Chargers by a score of 13-6, but what is important from Saturday night is not the outcome; it’s the way the players were able to handle themselves in whatever situations presented themselves. Throughout the contest, the Rams offensive line showed some positive glimpses, as well as some areas that need improvement.

• These are six key takeaways from LAR’s o-line play this weekend.

Seven offensive linemen played.

The starters consisted of A.J. Jackson at left tackle, Chandler Brewer at left guard, Coleman Shelton anchoring the middle at center, Bobby Evans at right guard, and Tremayne Anchrum playing right tackle. Jackson, Brewer, and Anchrum played the entire game, while Jeremiah Kolone subbed in at center and Jordan Meredith took over at right guard midway through the third quarter.

No daylight for the running backs.

The run blocking was abysmal for the majority of the game, as Rams running backs totaled 47 yards on 19 attempts. That’s an average of only 2.46 yards per carry. There were a few runs where backs got one on one opportunities at the second level and couldn’t make the defender miss, but for the most part the guys up front couldn’t consistently create rushing lanes, as running backs were often swarmed near or behind the line of scrimmage. Too often offensive linemen whiffed on blocks and turned defenders loose with little to no resistance.

A.J. Jackson struggled.

Alaric “A.J.” Jackson had a bit of a rough night, which is fair to expect from a rookie playing left tackle in his first NFL game. As shown in the first video above, there were plays where he was unable to stay engaged with his defender, who ended up making the tackle in the backfield for a two yard loss. He also let his man around the edge too many times, forcing both Delvin Hodges and Bryce Perkins to either reset their throwing platform or completely roll out to the right to escape the pressure.

There were glimpses of textbook pass protection.

It wasn’t all bad for the big fellas up front. The Rams were mostly stout in pass protection when the Chargers only rushed four. They also did a decent job picking up the blitz, with some help from the running backs. Although LAR’s offensive line did allow some occasional pressure (especial on their left side) there was some great coaching tape that will benefit this group going forward.
    clean_pocket_early_final.gif

One of my favorite offensive line plays was watching the left tackle and guard (Jackson & Brewer respectively) communicate post snap and swap off the would be pass rushers in the middle of a twist. It was very well executed and helped lead to a nice completion to Jacob Harris.

Only one sack surrendered.

I’ll sign up for that every game! The Rams didn’t allow a sack until early in the third quarter. Brewer gave up some immediate pressure through the B gap which forced Perkins to dance around in the pocket before being sacked for a three yard loss.

I would also like to see Anchrum finish linebacker Emeke Egbule instead just pushing him, as his defender ended up getting half a sack on the play.

No penalties!

The LA Rams offensive line didn’t commit a single penalty all game. That is something this unit can be proud of heading into week two and the remainder of the preseason. Adding to that, Anchrum actually helped draw a penalty flag. Chargers defensive end Jessie Lemonier jumped into the neutral zone pre snap. Anchrum wisely stood up, forcing the play to be blown dead.

• Sure, this performance was a bit of a mixed bag, but it didn’t cause any reason for major concern about the depth up front at this point. One thing is for sure, offensive line coach Kevin Carberry can thank Coach Staley for giving him some good film to work with. The big guys up front had to deal with multiple blitzes and stunts, which will only add to what Carberry can teach the offensive line, by showing them in game examples of what to do and also, what not to do.
Chargers defensive front is a strong suite for them. It wasn’t an easy task to start with.
I’m not hooping up or down after 1 preseason game.Though I tend to get overly excited when it’s happening.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Chargers defensive front is a strong suite for them. It wasn’t an easy task to start with.
I’m not hooping up or down after 1 preseason game.Though I tend to get overly excited when it’s happening.
I've been hopping up & down (in the adjective form) about Bobby Evans for longer than one preseason game. I would not be one to make light of it as if it were nothing.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Don’t know how The Rams can cut Bobby Evans ? We’ll see. I still have not seen the game like Texas Ram watching it closely.
I am not an advocate of cutting RT Bobby Evans. I am an advocate of trading him for something the Ram needs badly at this time. That position may change at any time though.

BE since drafted by Snead has been through 3 OTA's & mini camps, 3 Training Camps & now into his 3rd preseason time period & 2 completed NFL seasons........ How much more time do the Rams need to invest when the yield in return is so low in production?

For example, I see a younger & less known OL named Tremayne Anchrum who IMO should be getting all that time being shoved & stuffed down Evans instead. I might add Jordan Meredith & Alaric Jackson in with Anchrum.

Last edited:

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I am not an advocate of cutting RT Bobby Evans. I am an advocate of trading him for something the Ram needs badly at this time. That position may change at any time though.

BE since drafted by Snead has been through 3 OTA's & mini camps, 3 Training Camps & now into his 3rd preseason time period & 2 completed NFL seasons........ How much more time do the Rams need to invest when the yield in return is so low in production?

For example, I see a younger & less known OL named Tremayne Anchrum who IMO should be getting all that time being shoved & stuffed down Evans instead. I might add Jordan Meredith & Alaric Jackson in with Anchrum.

Maybe I feel a little bit differently, I wouldn't be cutting Evans today, I would have him starting at RT for our next 2 pre-season games though. If he fails to impress us enough to qualify as the #2 RT back-up after this, then I would likely cut him unless another team offers up something, but I doubt he'd have much if any trade value as they watch tape also. I'd rather not risk losing an Alaric Jackson, Jordan Meredith or Chandler Brewer to the waiver wire if we try to get them to the practice squad and are unsuccessful in doing so.
I feel pretty much the same way about Brycen Hopkins, he's got 2 more games to show some value to this team, there are just too many other players worth holding onto, and I don't care about where they were drafted.
Akers is likely IR'd, Skow may soon be, Terrell Lewis seems questionable healthwise, ... this could potentially open up a few more roster spots, if Evans & Hopkins are sent down the road, we just might be able to hang onto a couple valuable guys that would otherwise be lost. jmo.

Last edited:

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Maybe I feel a little bit differently, I wouldn't be cutting Evans today, I would have him starting at RT for our next 2 pre-season games though. If he fails to impress us enough to qualify as the #2 RT back-up after this, then I would likely cut him unless another team offers up something, but I doubt he'd have much if any trade value as they watch tape also. I'd rather not risk losing an Alaric Jackson, Jordan Meredith or Chandler Brewer to the waiver wire if we try to get them to the practice squad and are unsuccessful in doing so.
I feel pretty much the same way about Brycen Hopkins, he's got 2 more games to show some value to this team, there are just too many other players worth holding onto, and I don't care about where they were drafted.
Akers is likely IR'd, Skow may soon be, Terrell Lewis seems questionable healthwise, ... this could potentially open up a few more roster spots, if Evans & Hopkins are sent down the road, we just might be able to hang onto a couple valuable guys that would otherwise be lost. jmo.
I’m buying what you’re selling today, River.

Almost makes too much sense, don’t it?

Stump23

Rookie
Great observations. One take away I got was that shotgun snaps were lazy floaters. Looked to me that this caused some synch/timing issues from the start. QB reaching high to grab ball and then to go back down to look at play development is delayed just enough to affect play outcome. Just my 2 cents.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Great observations. One take away I got was that shotgun snaps were lazy floaters. Looked to me that this caused some synch/timing issues from the start. QB reaching high to grab ball and then to go back down to look at play development is delayed just enough to affect play outcome. Just my 2 cents.

Would these have been from Shelton or Kolone ?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I was not for cutting Evans today or next week either.

So you would now invest more time into Evans by starting him back in the RT post? And for what purpose? Do we need Evans to be our 2nd team RT?

Was not Tremayne Anchrum placed in that position so he would have that chance to learn from that #2 RT position? So does Anchrum lose the needed snaps in those two preseason games to Evans? Would that be fair & profitable for Anchrum?

What if Evans does fair @ this RT assignment does he then get to bump Anchrum or Brewer or Jackson out? Now we are advocating moving Achrum from his best position to an interior RG pot because Evans is not doing well at all. So we going to clear the easy path for Evans & reward Evans into his known post & then throw Anchrum into a new post & into the fire.

Could very well be that Anchrum was the much better RT & has much more upside than Evans thus for the reason for his placement on 2nd team RT post. Does that help this OL group overall?

If a 3rd yr former starter starts the first preseason game of his 3rd season & then gets replaced in the 2nd half by a UDFA rookie who then outperforms this 3rd yr OL'er does that carry any water at all in here?

Not trying to be a smart butt pile of :poop: here you know me, but I am asking serious tough questions.

Last edited:

Tano

Legend

So you would now invest more time into Evans by starting him back in the RT post? And for what purpose? Do we need Evans to be our 2nd team RT?

Was not Tremayne Anchrum placed in that position so he would have that chance to learn from that #2 RT position? So does Anchrum lose the needed snaps in those two preseason games to Evans? Would that be fair & profitable for Anchrum?

What if Evans does fair @ this RT assignment does he then get to bump Anchrum or Brewer or Jackson out?

Could very well be that Anchrum was the much better RT & has much more upside than Evans thus for the reason for his placement on 2nd team RT post. Does that help this OL group overall?

If a 3rd yr former starter starts the first preseason game of his 3rd season & then gets replaced in the 2nd half by a UDFA rookie who then outperforms this 3rd yr OL'er does that carry any water at all in here?

Not trying to be a smart butt pile of :poop: here you know me, but I am asking serious tough questions.
How about split the time between the two.

Evan at RT and Anchrum at RG for half a game and reverse them the other half.

See who does better.

Just a thought.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

So you would now invest more time into Evans by starting him back in the RT post? And for what purpose?

What if Evans does fair @ this RT assignment does he then get to bump Anchrum or Brewer or Jackson out?

Well, ... since his demotion, Evans is just another reserve player, although just which position he is backing up now eludes me. Supposedly, we invest time with all our players in training camp, and those first & second teamers who are held back from playing in the pre-season games are privileged in their knowledge that they are being protected, the remainder of the 'unprotected' players are guys we 'invest' time in to see whether they will qualify to become roster players or are let go.
The last time I observed anything of value out of Evans was when he replaced Havenstein in 2019 at RT, he has done little to impress since then as an OG or OT. So yes, I would get Evans back to RT to see if he has any remaining value, otherwise, what's the point of carrying him on the roster, especially when you have up & comers like Alaric Jackson & Jerome Meredith making waves ?

As for Anchrum, do you want all his pre-season playing time being spent at RT, or is he better utilized as a swing player capable of stepping in at OG if Corbett or Edwards suffers an injury AND at RT if the same happens to Havenstein ? Losing Evans as our starting RG and forcing a change at both Center and RG not only affects our starters, but also our depth, ... and even as a reserve player in game 1 of the pre-season, Evans failed to impress again. So are we trying to force Evans into a position he doesn't play well, because I've lost track of what his role really is ? While it's impressive that Anchrum played well at RT, his build suggests his best long-term future opportunities may come at OG or even Center, although that shouldn't keep him from playing at RT should it become necessary.

You ask if it's fair for Evans to bump Anchrum, Brewer or Jackson out if he plays well at RT, but I'm confused by the question as you have already implied that you wish to retain Evans whether he plays well at RT or not. What is Evans' role if he's not a quality OG or OT ? Evans is only now moving into his 3'rd season, so maybe he deserves more time, but talent could easily be sacrificed to keep him around. jmo.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
You ask if it's fair for Evans to bump Anchrum, Brewer or Jackson out if he plays well at RT, but I'm confused by the question as you have already implied that you wish to retain Evans whether he plays well at RT or not. What is Evans' role if he's not a quality OG or OT ? Evans is only now moving into his 3'rd season, so maybe he deserves more time, but talent could easily be sacrificed to keep him around. jmo.
Yeah and his draft position matters to the Rams. It's a reference on where they think his upside is to some extent. He's got more talent than some of those other guys and maybe it's not fair or whatever but in the NFL you get more chances and more looks when you have more talent.

I think if he doesn't improve in the remaining preseason games he may be in danger of the Rams cutting him. But I also assume he'll improve. There's still a ways to go here and games that will be used as a measuring stick on his value.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Well, ... since his demotion, Evans is just another reserve player, although just which position he is backing up now eludes me. Supposedly, we invest time with all our players in training camp, and those first & second teamers who are held back from playing in the pre-season games are privileged in their knowledge that they are being protected, the remainder of the 'unprotected' players are guys we 'invest' time in to see whether they will qualify to become roster players or are let go.
The last time I observed anything of value out of Evans was when he replaced Havenstein in 2019 at RT, he has done little to impress since then as an OG or OT. So yes, I would get Evans back to RT to see if he has any remaining value, otherwise, what's the point of carrying him on the roster, especially when you have up & comers like Alaric Jackson & Jerome Meredith making waves ?

As for Anchrum, do you want all his pre-season playing time being spent at RT, or is he better utilized as a swing player capable of stepping in at OG if Corbett or Edwards suffers an injury AND at RT if the same happens to Havenstein ? Losing Evans as our starting RG and forcing a change at both Center and RG not only affects our starters, but also our depth, ... and even as a reserve player in game 1 of the pre-season, Evans failed to impress again. So are we trying to force Evans into a position he doesn't play well, because I've lost track of what his role really is ? While it's impressive that Anchrum played well at RT, his build suggests his best long-term future opportunities may come at OG or even Center, although that shouldn't keep him from playing at RT should it become necessary.

We are in complete agreement on when & where we observed Evans value was back in 2019.

My understanding was Evans was in strong contention for the position of starting OG not OT. I see OL'ers Noteboom, Anchrum, Brewer, Jackson & Pircher as mostly all primarily OT's but Anchrum very well might be the best OL'er of my mentioned above OL cadre capable of being a very good reserve swing OG & OT for Carberry. So I certainly have no heartburn if he gets snaps in the next preseason gms @ both OG posts.

I would have heartburn if he was cast away from most likely his best playing position @ RT for a degraded Evans. On your question as to what the point of carrying Evans on the roster forward............on your being confused as to why I still would not cut Evans.....One good reason that might come from moving Evans back to the RT post in the next 2 games is to place him in the front & center showcase window dressed up pretty for trade to any teams needing an RT to fill in for their injured RT's. But not for too long of a time. But then Evans might be degraded @ RT too.

I also see OL'ers Jackson & Meredith as comers who I do not want to see depart this team due to the likely departure of the four of our key OL starters when this season ends by UFA or retirement.

In conclusion, I am with you again as to what is Evan's role with this 2021 team too. I really enjoy our conversations River you make my day better just having you around!:fistbump1:;)

Last edited:

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
How about split the time between the two.

Evan at RT and Anchrum at RG for half a game and reverse them the other half.

See who does better.

Just a thought.

Personally speaking, I don't go that route for game 2.
Evans played nearly 3 quarters of the game at RG and didn't impress, Anchrum played the entire game at RT and did impress.
I want to still find a position for Evans where he can have some success, in two years of playing for us that has only come at RT, and that was back in 2019. I believe Anchrum's best short term prospects are as a swing OG/C/RT, longer term he could end up starting at OG or Center. With two years under his belt, Evans has painted himself into a corner, is he a one trick pony RT or might he still develop into something more ?

I give the RT keys to Evans and tell him he'll be there for the entire game against the Raiders. I do the same for Anchrum at RG.

Neither are very impressive, so Shelton & Kolone can split their time at Center.

What's happening with Jackson & Brewer is more confusing to me. Brewer was Whitworth's back-up LT back in 2019 when Noteboom was injured, Jackson is also viable competition as a back-up LT, having both Brewer and Jackson around for 2022 following Whitworth's retirement could be very valuable, even if Noteboom gets the starting gig. Brewer's best future opportunities may be as a swing OT/OG, he's played all 4 positions in a limited manner, although he was pretty rusty at LG against the Chargers following a 1 year hiatus due to Covid. I'd like to see Brewer get work in at LT, RT, LG & RG, but all those positions have other players also seeking playing time. For the Raiders game, I probably let Jackson play the entire game again at LT. While I'd like to let both Jordan Meredith and Brewer play entire games, there just isn't enough positions available for that, so I might split their time at LG.

Now, let me say, ... this isn't what I expect the Rams to do, this is how I would approach it.

An article has already been published about how Alaric Jackson is playing his way to becoming a danger to making it to the practice squad should the Rams try that, that we likely lose him in waivers. I fear if Meredith has another performance like he did against the Chargers, he too could be lost, and he is an excellent swing prospect at OG & Center. jmo.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I've been hopping up & down (in the adjective form) about Bobby Evans for longer than one preseason game. I would not be one to make light of it as if it were nothing.
Have to see it to believe it. Stranger things have happened.Just like Brian Allen as an example.Might go to the Raiders game.Probably not though,because a lot is going on. Might go see some avp.Not sure I can taste,but sure wouldn’t mind to smell.
I could go a direct with your post with a photo,but won’t.Seeing chicks in bikinis always a good thing.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
We are in complete agreement on when & where we observed Evans value was back in 2019.

My understanding was Evans was in strong contention for the position of starting OG not OT. I see OL'ers Noteboom, Anchrum, Brewer, Jackson & Pircher as mostly all primarily OT's but Anchrum very well might be the best OL'er of my mentioned above OL cadre capable of being a very good reserve swing OG & OT for Carberry. So I certainly have no heartburn if he gets snaps in the next preseason gms @ both OG posts.

I would have heartburn if he was cast away from most likely his best playing position @ RT for a degraded Evans. On your question as to what the point of carrying Evans on the roster forward............on your being confused as to why I still would not cut Evans.....One good reason that might come from moving Evans back to the RT post in the next 2 games is to place him in the front & center showcase window dressed up pretty for trade to any teams needing an RT to fill in for their injured RT's. But not for too long of a time. But then Evans might be degraded @ RT too.

I also see OL'ers Jackson & Meredith as comers who I do not want to see depart this team due to the likely departure of the four of our key OL starters when this season ends by UFA or retirement.

In conclusion, I am with you again as to what is Evan's role with this 2021 team too. I really enjoy our conversations River you make my day better just having you around!:fistbump1:;)

I don't believe Anchrum is in any danger of being cast away, so lets just put that to rest. I doubt McSnead will go for it, but this is one year where I consider carrying 10 offensive linemen on the 53, something I've never considered before.
I don't really see Evans as any kind of trade bait, he has too much to prove yet, and he could still become a valuable first up RT if he can regain his 2019 composure, maybe even a starter at RT in the likelihood of a Havenstein departure once his contract runs dry after the 2022 season, but before I get too ahead of myself, Evans has a lot of work to accomplish right now, and he's not been making it any easier on himself. jmo.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

Bonifay you can add anyone you want. I don’t think Meredith or Jackson make the 53 at all. To me it’s Zero chance. I’ll wait at least the 2 remaining preseason games. Last time he played with The Rams it was in the Playoffs.