Preseason Game 1 Fallout

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
http://www.latimes.com/sports/rams/la-sp-rams-report-20180809-story.html

There was no way the ball was going to hit the ground.

Not after last year’s preseason opener, when Rams running back Justin Davis fumbled twice in his first series.

The miscues marred an otherwise impressive debut performance by the former USC tailback, who signed with the Rams as an undrafted free agent and spent most of his rookie season on the roster but inactive for games.

On Thursday night, Davis held the ball tight and rushed for 41 yards in seven carries, one of the few bright spots in a 33-7 loss to the Baltimore Ravens at M&T Bank Stadium.

“It definitely crossed my mind,” Davis said of last season’s first-game struggle. “But it’s a new year and it’s night and day for me.”

With Todd Gurley and other starters held out, Malcolm Brown started at running back and played two series before Davis came on for the rest of the first half. His top play was a 17-yard run.

“He’s kind of just one cut away,” from breaking longer plays, coach Sean McVay said.

Rookie John Kelly played in the second half and rushed for 77 yards in 13 carries, including a 40-yard run near the end of the third quarter.

“It was a good experience,” said Kelly, a sixth-round draft pick from Tennessee. “It was fun to get an opportunity to get out there and experience the NFL playing against someone in a game setting.”

Countess injured

Rams safety Blake Countess suffered a first-quarter shoulder injury on a play that he was penalized on for lowering his head.

The injury marred an otherwise enjoyable week for a player who grew up only a few minutes from the Ravens’ practice facility in Owings Mills, and had a crowd of nearly 60 family and friends at the game.

Before he was injured, Countess broke up a pass from Joe Flacco intended for Michael Crabtree.

“This is like a homecoming,” Wendell Countess, Blake’s father, said before the game. “It is a business trip, and it’s fun for the friends and family.”

Said Melody Countess, Blake’s mother: “It’s almost like coming full circle.... To have him come back now and get back to all the people that have supported him.”

Randy Smith, who coached Countess in youth football, said he teared up when he watched Countess play for Auburn against Michigan in college. Thursday night was the first time watching him in person as a pro.

“Knowing that you helped him develop the love or maintain the love of football, and made a difference in a young man’s life, that’s why you coach,” Smith said.

Etc.

All the Rams players were on the sideline for the playing of the national anthem. … Receiver KhaDarel Hodge had three catches, including an eight-yard touchdown reception from Brandon Allen in the fourth quarter…. JoJo Natson returned four punts for 57 yards, including one for 29 yards. He also averaged 23 yards for seven kickoff returns…. The Rams are off Friday. They have five remaining practices at UC Irvine that are open to the public. They are Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Wednesday and Thursday. Practices begin at 3 p.m., except for Thursday, which starts at 9:45 a.m.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://www.latimes.com/sports/rams/la-sp-rams-ravens-20180809-story.html

Rams sit starters in 33-7 preseason loss to Ravens

By GARY KLEIN
AUG 09, 2018 | 9:40 PM
| BALTIMORE

A terrific debut season by coach Sean McVay and a remade star-studded roster put the Rams in the Super Bowl conversation.

But what if something goes wrong — injury or otherwise — with frontline players?

The preseason offers NFL teams opportunity to assess potential backups, and the Rams’ first game Thursday night did not exactly inspire confidence.

With all but two starters watching safely from the sideline, the Rams lost to the Baltimore Ravens, 33-7, at M&T Bank Stadium.

Preseason results, of course, mean nothing. And Rams coaches will surely find encouraging signs after they review every play of their rookies’ first professional game.

But overall, it was an uninspiring effort by a team that probably cannot count on the unusually good fortune it enjoyed on the injury front last season.

“We expect to play better,” McVay said, “and we will.”

After two joint practices with the Ravens this week, McVay adopted a better-safe-than-injured philosophy for Thursday.

Quarterback Jared Goff, running back Todd Gurley and defensive lineman Ndamukong Suh were among those on the sideline in sweat suits. Offensive guard Jamon Brown and linebacker Samson Ebukam were the only starters who played against the Ravens.

“When we set this practice schedule out a long time ago that was kind of the plan all along,” McVay said of holding out starters.

The Rams play the Oakland Raiders at the Coliseum on Aug. 18, but McVay was noncommittal about playing starters against a team the Rams open the season against on Sept 10 on “Monday Night Football.”

“There’s a lot of different layers to it,” he said.

That might be gamesmanship. With starters league-wide traditionally held out of the fourth preseason game, sitting them in the second game would leave Goff and Co. only one game — against the Houston Texans on Aug. 25 — to establish timing.

Backup quarterback Sean Mannion must take advantage of whatever opportunities come his way.

Going into Thursday’s game, McVay said the fourth-year pro had taken steps in the right direction.

But, without the benefit of frontline players on the field with him, that was not evident against the Ravens. Mannion once again struggled to position himself as a viable backup for a team that is expected to make a deep playoff run.

Mannion completed his first two passes before tight end Temarrick Hemingway dropped a ball and Mannion was sacked, portending the long night ahead.

He completed only three of 13 passes for 16 yards with an interception. Several passes were deflected at the line of scrimmage and he was sacked twice.

“Certainly not my best performance,” Mannion said. “Just wasn’t really able to get in a rhythm early, so obviously disappointed with how the whole game went.”

McVay said others besides Mannion bore responsibility for the offense’s struggles. The Rams produced only 45 yards in the first half, 170 in the game.

“There’s a couple decisions that he’d like back, but then, you know, some guys got to make some plays for him as well,” McVay said.

“I can put him in better spots to be able to have that success.”

The Rams did have few bright spots on offense.

Rookie running back John Kelly rushed for 77 yards in 13 carries, including a 40-yard run. Second-year running back Justin Davis rushed for 41 yards in seven carries.

McVay praised quarterback Brandon Allen, who played the second half and completed 10 of 15 passes for 73 yards and a touchdown.

But the defense struggled to contain Ravens quarterbacks Joe Flacco, Lamar Jackson and Robert Griffin III.

Flacco and Griffin passed for touchdowns and Jackson completed a long pass and ran for a touchdown.

Rookie linebacker Micah Kiser had six tackles and Rams defensive lineman Ethan Westbrooks had two sacks.

“I kind of felt like I definitely got to show up and show out when I’m a starter,” Westbrooks said. “Honestly, it was just good to get back on the field.”

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
https://www.ocregister.com/2018/08/...ruggle-in-preseason-loss-to-baltimore-ravens/

BALTIMORE – Perhaps one of these days, Rams quarterback Sean Mannion will get a chance to show his skills with a bonafide NFL offense. Whether that is a good idea remains debatable.

Mannion’s role is well defined, as Jared Goff’s backup. He’s here to eat up practice reps, occasionally play in the fourth quarter and hope, like everyone else, that Goff remains healthy. Thursday’s preseason opened against the Baltimore Ravens did little to change that assessment, and might have harmed it.

Sign up for Home Turf and get exclusive stories every SoCal sports fan must read, sent daily. Subscribe here.
The Rams, their active roster severely weakened by choice, suffered a decisive 33-7 loss to the Ravens at M&T Bank Stadium. As he did at the end of last season, Mannion struggled, and didn’t get much help.

Mannion played the first half and completed 3 of 13 attempts for 16 yards with zero touchdowns and one bad-looking interception. After a solid start, with two consecutive completions, Mannion missed on five straight attempts, beset by dropped passes, poor blocking and his own mistakes.

“I certainly don’t want this performance tonight to be indicative of the type of camp he has had,” Rams coach Sean McVay said. “It’s such a small sample size. Some of the situations he was put in were really just tough spots.”

Really, anything else would have been surprising. The Ravens already had played one preseason game and used most of their starters in Thursday’s first quarter, while the Rams took zero chances and dressed only two regular starters, guard Jamon Brown and linebacker Samson Ebukam.

That left Mannion to mingle with his own kind, the Rams’ backups. By the start of the second quarter, Mannion was being protected by three rookie offensive linemen. How, then, to judge his effort?

Take away others’ miscues, and Mannion still did little to inspire confidence. He overthrew two targets by a notable margin and, late in the second quarter, Mannion attempted a deep throw to Michael Thomas. The pass, slightly underthrown, was easily read and intercepted by the Ravens’ Maurice Canaday.

“It’s certainly not my best performance,” Mannion said. “I really wasn’t able to get into a rhythm early. So obviously I was disappointed with how the whole game went. You obviously want to win and I obviously want to play better than I did, but there’s some stuff to learn off, for sure.”

Brandon Allen took over at quarterback to start the third quarter and fared slightly better. He suffered a sack-fumble midway through the third quarter, after poor blocking by tackle Darrell Williams, and Allen finished 10 of 15 for 73 yards, one touchdowns and zero interceptions.

So maybe Mannion doesn’t deserve all the blame. His game was somewhat reminiscent of his previous appearance, in last year’s regular-season finale against San Francisco, when the Rams also rested starters. Mannion went 20 of 34 for 169 yards and was sacked three times in that game.

The Rams decided to stay with Mannion as their backup during the offseason, and recently in training camp, McVay had high praise for Mannion’s development.

That wasn’t evident Thursday, although the outcome of the game – completely unimportant – had been determined before the sun set on a muggy evening. By late in the first quarter, the Rams trailed 17-0 and their offense – with some play-calling that was deliberately vanilla – had totaled minus-2 yards.

The Rams actually improved slightly after the first quarter, particularly on defense, when the Ravens went to their backups, but at halftime, the Rams trailed 23-0 and had totaled 45 yards compared to 72 penalty yards. Even all-world punter Johnny Hekker shanked an attempt that traveled eight yards.

Positives? Defensive lineman Ethan Westbrooks, who has been getting first-teams reps in training camp because of the absence of Aaron Donald, recorded two sacks. Former USC running back Justin Davis (41 yards on seven carries) and rookie John Kelly (77 yards on 13 carries) had strong moments.

The Rams used a heavy rotation on defense and, perhaps not surprisingly, generated little pass rush early, other than Westbrooks’ effort. On the back end, Troy Hill, one of the Rams’ more experienced cornerbacks, struggled with coverage and tackling and committed a penalty in the first quarter.

For the most part, the Rams dealt well with the NFL’s new rule that prohibits leading with the helmet when tackling. Defensive backs Marqui Christian and Blake Countess got 15-yard penalties for that infraction on consecutive first-quarter plays, but the Rams otherwise avoided that penalty.

The Rams return to practice Saturday in Irvine in advance of next Saturday’s preseason game against Oakland. McVay wouldn’t commit to playing starters in that game, either, and noted that the Raiders also are the Rams’ first-week opponent in the regular season, on Sept. 10.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Excited for John Kelly to see what he's capable of against #2's and maybe #1's

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Excited for John Kelly to see what he's capable of against #2's and maybe #1's

He was a nice addition but I think the excitement I am seeing on him is a little bit over the top tbh. He doesn't have starter burst at the RB position, and his power that he is known for isn't as pronounced at this level.

Not taking anything away from him having a fine game. But he's got some limitations athletically IMO.

nighttrain

Legend
He was a nice addition but I think the excitement I am seeing on him is a little bit over the top tbh. He doesn't have starter burst at the RB position, and his power that he is known for isn't as pronounced at this level.

Not taking anything away from him having a fine game. But he's got some limitations athletically IMO.
my money on Justin Davis
train

WestCoastRam

Legend
I'm a huge McVay fan but if his career ends with the Rams, it will start with him saying for the umpteenth time: "I can put him [Mannion, the QB, whomever] in better spots to have that success."

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

..and you picked him not to make the 53, right?:whistle: C'mon Merlin, it's ok to admit your wrong.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan

I believe his skillset is similar to Lynch's, which would complement as a nice change of pace back against gassed out defenses. Still expect Malcolm Brown the be the #2 behind Gurley with him being able to wear out opposing defenses.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Rams LBers look undersized to me , and I saw all of them up close . Suh is a big man , even in street clothes .

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
..and you picked him not to make the 53, right?:whistle: C'mon Merlin, it's ok to admit your wrong.

I did no such thing, at least that I can remember. I do try not to put myself in a situation where I root against our players just to be right.

Just tryin to keep it real on the kid. That's it.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-refocused-2018-ravens-33-rams-7

ANALYST TAKEAWAYS
LA-Rams-Header-2017.png

Rams QB Sean Mannion had a game to forget. He struggled to complete any passes as he went just 3-of-13 with an interception through the first half. He also had quite a few passes batted at the line of scrimmage, as well as a fumble. The offensive line did not help much, but Mannion did not look comfortable at all.

John Kelly should see more touches next week as he made the most of his opportunities in his professional debut. He turned a pitch play to the right side into a huge gain for a Rams offsense that had been struggling all night. He also showed good vision and good cut ability as he made the most of his chances.

The Rams struggled on defense, in particular the secondary as Baltimore rolled up 403 yards including 263 yards passing. Edge defender Samson Ebakum was a bright spot as he was nearly unblockable rushing the passer. His athleticism and quickness with his hands give him an array of moves to use on blockers

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I did no such thing, at least that I can remember. I do try not to put myself in a situation where I root against our players just to be right.

Just tryin to keep it real on the kid. That's it.
Sorry man, I thought you had...I was just messin' with you anyways:fighting:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not impressed with Obo he just looks like a guy.

Don't even remember seeing him, which I suppose says it all. But then again I wasn't really watching anything other than our OL play after the first half. It was just too ugly.

Obo will be fine though, IMO. And I say that based on the combination of his film in college vs top competition, flexibility (he can play more than rush OLB), and the fact he's missed time due to injury. Question is whether he'll be any sort of help this year, and from that perspective I suspect he's too far behind. Plus Ebukam looked pretty damn good, and I am feeling better about his prospects of holding down the blindside OLB spot.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
As a bit of upside to add to this conversation, did anyone see Ogeltree get burned badly by Cleveland TE Njoku? It's the second play from Cleveland on the highlight reel below. The play before that when Janoris Jenkins gets beat you can also see Tree get beat badly off the snap at the bottom. Not going to miss that.

https://sports.yahoo.com/browns-vs-giants-highlights-preseason-031637944.html

No doubt. Ogletree is a crazy player, sometimes he can be so good, then be so bad. But re: that game, the kid QB for Cleveland looked damn good in his first game.

This QB class looked pretty good period tbh. And you have the Jets up tonight so will probably watch that one.