Preseason Game 1 (Cowpokes) Things to Watch

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Wanted to open some discussion on what we're going to be focusing on in this first game, since we've all got some slightly different takes on things. Here's mine:

1. Overall state of the starters in their short look of course. Worried about injury due to our depth, we have multiple guys on offense that simply cannot get hurt. So get them in, hopefully show well, and get 'em out.

2. OL depth. The second and later strings have been struggling for the most part through camp, as well as the scrimmages from multiple takes here on the board. So I'll be watching first off to see whether they leave some of these starters in longer (like Brown for example), and also specific depth positions. Center for example is a concern to me, given the age of Sullivan. Also I will be watching Murphy specifically, and looking for who stands out.

3. TE is another high priority position for myself. I want to see Higbee make some catches with defenders on or around him. To date that is a big concern for myself, that he seems to have trouble focusing the ball in when in traffic. And of course I am eager to see what Hemingway can do, since I don't think he's really shown it thus far. Everett I have a better feel for from camp, so I don't want to see him in there too long, but yeah he does need work as well. And judging from the camp I would guess Wilson gets a lot of action in this game, since he's a big target with good hands.

4. Defensively I'm going to be watching the depth down the middle, the LBs and safeties, to try to get a feel for things. I presume Davis has a lock on his depth spot, however I'm eager to see how Johnson handles himself. And the ILB depth seems wide open to me so that's gonna be fun to watch once AO and Barron come off the field.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I'm a defensive guy too, I don't wanna see Dak marching the ball 80 yards and scoring...converting long 3rd downs....or any way looking effective. Curious to see the coverage....off or tight??? I don't wanna see Quinn, Barwin, Barron, or Brockers playing.

On offense....health first off....Goff play the entire Quarter...with the starting O-Line....No Gurley....move the ball...I don't care about points....and I don't wanna see no damn short field goals...every 4th and <5, we better be going for it...working our short yardage and 3rd down packages...

and I wanna see who wants it on special teams. Show me...wish Samson was playing...Price should be...I wanna see which linemen are on special teams...

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
WR's stretching the field of play vertically, horizontally, diagnolly causing a huge mess for the opposition. Gaining yardage pass the sticks.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm a defensive guy too, I don't wanna see Dak marching the ball 80 yards and scoring...converting long 3rd downs....or any way looking effective. Curious to see the coverage....off or tight???

Yeah that's a big one. The kid's got game but here's hoping we make him look like a year 2 QB Saturday night.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
This^ being the case, I hope the go all-out in the 6-12 plays the starters are in there, and are successful, so the 2nd and 3rd stringers get all-pumped-up for their turn!
" I WANT TO SEE US MESS THE COWPIE'S UP!!" Just because it's McVay's 1st start at Home!(y);):yess: I guess I want to see some of this .....

Joint Cowboys practice!.jpg
Joint Cowboys practice2.jpg

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
In total there is a whole lot that I want to see, especially as pertaining to the offense. However, I think if it came down to just one thing - it's seeing Cooper Kupp play! The hype around him is too strong for me to not want to see him play.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
5. Not surrendering a TD on the opening kickoff (if the Cowboys receive, of course)

First things first, huh @HeiseNBerg ? :cool:

I'll be looking for moving the chains. I hope Jared is given 2 series. Move the chains. I really want to see the use of the tight ends. Also the O-line play.

On defense, aggressiveness! No more Fisher next-zip-code cushions :headexplosion:on the receivers. :yess:

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I want to see the playbook. Not this bullshit basic offense and defense. Practice full speed and it will show in the regular season. Tom Brady has been doing the same thing for 15 years and nobody has been able to stop it. Come out firing on all cylinders. I hated Fishers style of play in the pre season. It never carried over well.

raised_fisT

Hall of Fame
I'm looking forward to NOT seeing the "vanilla" offense do some damage. Want to get that Fisher stank off asap.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
I'm not too concerned w/ the defense because I cannot wrap my head around Donald not being in camp at some point. That's just stupid on the part of both parties. So leaves only 1 starting spot available--replacing Easley.

The secondary is pretty much set.

Depth wise? LBs maybe?

It's the offense that really needs a good showing. Sure, I want to see something better than the league's worst offense, but there are so many moving parts! WR and TE battles, is Brown a worthy starter--ANYWHERE?, who has the leg up to be the backup center?, and where does Rogers fit in?

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
First drive with first team offense looking for Goff to drive the team in for a touchdown and to complete at the very minimum 4 passes....Add in the Offensive Line too and that is all I am looking for always nice to win for a team that is not used to winning.