Predicting the NFL Top Five Defenses in 2014

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
by Erik Lambert
http://nflmocks.com/2014/05/18/predicting-nfl-top-five-defenses-2014/

3DkqmY8.jpg

Seattle reigned supreme in 2013 as the best NFL defense. Will anyone unseat them in 2014? Here are the top five projected.

#5 – Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Lovie Smith has built some of the best defenses in recent memory both as a coordinator in St. Louis and later as head coach in Chicago. Not only did he inherit a strong cast of talent with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, but a flurry of free agent signings brought in Pro Bowl level help like Alterraun Verner. If Lovie is as good of a coach as he was for the Bears, those young stars like Gerald McCoy and Lavonte David should help Tampa Bay become a dynamic force defensively.

#4 – San Francisco 49ers

Consistency breeds expectations. The San Francisco 49ers have fielded one of the top NFL defenses ever since Jim Harbaugh became head coahc. They have a talented starting lineup with a near infinite well of depth behind them. At the same time, their best player NaVarro Bowman is coming off a bad knee injury and star pass rusher Aldon Smith is facing more off-the-field problems. So that should hold them back some, but the 49ers always seem to compensate.

#3 – Seattle Seahawks

Earl Thomas and Richard Sherman aren’t going anywhere. Michael Bennett is locked up as well. The core of the Seattle Seahawks remains intact and thus so their defense. At the same time, it’s hard to ignore how much they lost in free agency including Walter Thurmond III, Chris Clemons and Red Bryant. Will their celebrated depth help carry the day? For the most part, yes. However, the losses should knock them out of the top spot.

#2 – New Orleans Saints

It was one of the best coaching jobs in NFL history. Consider that the New Orleans Saints were the worst defense in the league arguably ever in 2012. A year later they hired Rob Ryan and jumped up to 4th overall. Fast forward to the off-season and they made a huge additions with three-time Pro Bowl safety Jairus Byrd who will join Kenny Vaccaro on the back end. Lastly throw 6’3″ monstrosity Stanley Jean-Baptiste in at corner and suddenly the weaknesses of the Saints defense have disappeared. If things progress as they should this group could be even better this season.

#1 – St. Louis Rams

The early part of the 2013 season was rough for the St. Louis Rams defense, but they soon found their foothold and finished strong. Jeff Fisher and Les Snead have assembled a young, dynamic cast of player with the defensive line being the heart of it. Robert Quinn and Chris Long remain at end, but now are joined by violent interior pass rusher Aaron Donald, potentially giving the Rams the best pass rush in the NFL. Provided their secondary progresses as it can, this team is going to dominate games thanks almost entirely to their pass rush. History has shown that is typically all that’s needed.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Dang...

That surprised me. Not that our team can't be #1, they can, but an outsider putting his name down for the Rams to be the best at anything is pretty rare.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
I think we're going to be good but #1 is a lofty expectation. But if it does shake out that way, kinda scary 3 of the top 5 are NFC West.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
I think we're going to be good but #1 is a lofty expectation. But if it does shake out that way, kinda scary 3 of the top 5 are NFC West.
And i bet if it was top 10, Arizona would be around 6th or 7th the defenses in the west are no joke.

Depends on our pass D, our front 7 will make us very good, our pass D can leave us at very good or it can make us elite, will be interesting to see, inter way we'll be top 10.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
While I love seeing such high praise come our way, this article is terribly flawed. The Saints? Really? And as jjab asked, no Panthers? And while talented rookies and free agents can help a team, defenses rely more heavily on continuity than flash. Does anyone else remember the recent "dream team" of Eagle offseason infame? Yeah, I hope my Rams really are #1, but our backers and secondary have something to prove even to me... And the Saints have even more to prove for me to believe they belong in the same breath as Carolina, Seatteral, Whiners, Cards, or even the Cheifs. Their stats last year were padded by playing some of the league's worst offenses. Heck, we even moved the ball well on them. I was there watching us slice through them like butter without Bradford or Tavon.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
While I love seeing such high praise come our way, this article is terribly flawed. The Saints? Really? And as jjab asked, no Panthers? And while talented rookies and free agents can help a team, defenses rely more heavily on continuity than flash. Does anyone else remember the recent "dream team" of Eagle offseason infame? Yeah, I hope my Rams really are #1, but our backers and secondary have something to prove even to me... And the Saints have even more to prove for me to believe they belong in the same breath as Carolina, Seatteral, Whiners, Cards, or even the Cheifs. Their stats last year were padded by playing some of the league's worst offenses. Heck, we even moved the ball well on them. I was there watching us slice through them like butter without Bradford or Tavon.
Sure I remember that group of selfish arrogant self promoters. I agree we have to prove our worth but let's don't compare this bunch to the Eagle everybody wants the ball and pouts when they don't get it offense.

iBruce

Pro Bowler
Name
Cory
Nice coming in here expecting to see SEA and SF above us. We certainly have the talent to be #1, although I'm still worried about our Safeties.

FRO

Legend
If we want to go to the playoffs we need to be a top 5 defense. We have the DC and talent to get us there. I expect a top 5 defense.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Putting Tampa in the top 5 loses credibility, IMO. But yes, we have the potential for a top 5 defense. It all depends on the secondary. They're very young, but very talented. I do expect mistakes. How many and how much will it cost us is the question.

fearsomefour

Legend
Really looking forward to Ogletree and NcDonald in their second years.
Long, Donald, Brockers, Quinn, JL, Ogletree, Dunbar, Armstrong, Hayes, Sims, Johnson, Jenkins, McDonald....this D is so loaded with athletic playmakers.
Interested to see if Armstrong can take Dunbars spot.
If Williams can put together good schemes and get guys on the same page this D could be very good.
The D getting a couple more stops on third down and cutting down big plays and the O getting 6 more points a game....that's it.
The team is very close to making a big jump. The competition has never been tougher.

Ram_Fan

Rookie
Name
Ken
Top 5 overall defense if the Rams secondary can shore up their coverage schemes. Last year it was so hard to watch when our DB's gave 5-7yds cushsion, because of their defensive scheme. Some times a little bit too passive were they didn't have to be. This year I'm sure they will be more aggressive, because how Williams runs the defense. I wouldn't be surprised if we lead the league in takeaways this year.