Pre-season is definitely a harbinger for our upcoming season!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
From what reports I saw, the Rams got the better of Denver in the joint practices, so it’s not really a wonder that Payton had them all jacked to do damage against the “not even good enough for practice squad” group

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
You had a coach and a team that were highly motivated to run up the score. The coach because he can't get over the NFCCG loss to us. The team because of that 52-0 embarrassment last year.

I wouldn't be surprised if they had this game circled on their calendar. I means nothing in the grand scheme of things. But it meant a lot more to them than us.

If we suck this year it won't be because of the poor preseason showing.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
The most important thing about preseason is how healthy the team is when the games count. I remember when the Rams were undefeated in the preseason under Linasham and then when on to a 1&15 during the regular season. Enough said!

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
It's preseason, it's gonna suck, but at the same time our Achilles heel last season was our depth. It was a glaring weakness when shit hit the fan. So to be a bit concerned is not unwarranted. It also wasn't all 4th stringers out there and others that will not make the team. Bobby Brown and Copeland will more than likely make the team. Stetson will make the team as well as Ethan Evans, Tomlinson, Tanner and prob a few others. They all need work in one area or another. If we can stay healthy, I feel we should be OK. But if not, it's gonna be a real problem.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
My biggest gripe, I'm not going to panic about Stetson at all.. bad last game, solid first 2.. but it looked like our guys were double covered all game, meanwhile the Broncos for Stidham were running absolutely wide open all game.

I like Rivers A LOT.

Davis Allen, Tyler Johnson I liked a lot.

Defensively, really liked Tomlinson, Van Valkenberg really impressed at times (not my Hawkeye bias).

What really irks me and continues to be a damn problem is absolutely lack of physicality and dawg mentality our defense continues to lack. Last few years too. Seems like we lack it so much damn fight at times.

I fully expected this preseason to be much different with all the youth and players trying to make the team. But damn, did we sign the softest damn dudes we could find?

Also, I know we don't gameplan, but the lack of organization on the field was alarming. Consistently seemed like guys were unsure or out of position.

It's Preseason, but I'm not as confident I was pre Preseason.

DL, EDGE and LB are MAJOR red flags. And no, Hoecht isn't going to save us. He's a classic "we've spent time developing him, it'd his time" and then he's going to go out and look lone what he is.. a backup who tries hard.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
The concerns I have in regard to our upcoming season are due to our present state of this team being in a transition year and less the pre-season.
Pre-Season is not a good barometer to use for team success but instead a way to see some players you hope to develop improve their play and progress through the process of live action.

Stetson didn't really show progress to me but no need to overreact, if Stafford goes down or most any number 1 QB in the league it is a huge blow and difficult to overcome.

Place Kicker looks to be something to keep an eye on too bad for Brown, a local kid that I thought would do better.

Defense is really going to be something to watch Rah has his hands full.

I think if we were to be honest due to the turnover of players and the less than optimally effective process of assessing them in the pre-season, nobody has any real idea of what to expect this season.

I am excited, I have relatively low expectations and will enjoy seeing who steps up out of our group of youngsters while hoping for good results on weekly basis.

I am also looking forward to following our path to the final 53, I suspect 1 or 2 of them haven't worn a Ram uniform yet.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I think the issue for some of us is not that we lost preseason games (we agree, that they're meaningless) but HOW we lost preseason games... which goes far more to showing us what this team is going to struggle and struggle a lot with.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I won't be drawing any conclusions until all our starters are playing together and our best players are in the game. We haven't seen that yet.

I'm not predicting playoffs but I'm reasonably confident the Rams aren't going to just get rolled every week.

Not EVERY week.

Ram65

Legend
It seemed like the Broncos were in regular-season mode (without using 1st stringers). While the Rams were playing scrubs and drawing up plays in the dirt.

The Rams depth is questionable and some other question marks.

It's still just a preseason game.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Every injury is gonna hit us harder than the other teams. Our one hope is that we get a ridiculous run of health. Ridiculous in a good way. Then the pass game might keep us in things.

See that's what I can't get behind. What makes so many think that other teams backups are so much better than ours?? Does every team has a non stop assembly line of backups that can fill in without missing a beat???

If Micah Parsons went down is their backup pass rusher gonna hit??

If AJ Brown went down and teams start double covering Devonta Smith are the other receiving options gonna jump right in for Philly?

Every team used rookies, late round picks, UDFAs, and journeyman 3 and 4 year guys to fill most of the bottom half of the roster. I just don't see why there's so much pessimism of our coaches and staff to bring these guys up to speed and put them in position to succeed. Especially with the track record they have. If they can conjure winning seasons and develop guys like Greg Gaines and David Long and Nick Scott why the sudden no confidence for this new group???

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
See that's what I can't get behind. What makes so many think that other teams backups are so much better than ours?? Does every team has a non stop assembly line of backups that can fill in without missing a beat???
No of course not. I think the difference is we are relying on guys who are backup level players to start at more positions than other teams. Every roster has weaknesses, we just have more than most teams which means the guys behind those backup types are going to be even more of a problem in matchups on gameday.

The worst examples are on defense. But maybe we get lucky on injuries, as luck went against us last season.

TheBunk

Rookie
We've had reports that we looked just fine against the Broncos and Raiders in joint practices. Payton also treats every game against the Rams like a revenge game. I wish we didn't look like garbage, sure, but there's no need to panic over this.

RAMSinLA

Hall of Fame
They had the back up coaches calling this game but that is no excuse for not making some kind of an adjustment to your game plan. how disappointing. My hopes for this season are not high.

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
Albert Chukwuemeka Okwuegbunam if he is available....

Psycho_X

Legend
They had the back up coaches calling this game but that is no excuse for not making some kind of an adjustment to your game plan. how disappointing. My hopes for this season are not high.
They literally don't make game plans for preseason games. That's been mentioned several times over the years during McVay's tenure. I don't think people understand how much McVay doesn't care about preseason games other than getting through them as healthy as possible.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I know most of the guys last night won’t make the roster, probably not even the PS, but a couple will (or so I thought).

Are these guys in trouble?
Copeland
Rochell (looked lousy)
Tomlinson
McClendon

As for being a harbinger of things to come:
STs have been terrible.
Our new punter has a huge leg but needs to be properly trained how to use it.

Pass rush is nonexistent. I haven’t seen anyone play consistently well and pretty much every available guy has played at some point in preseason. Edge was the one, absolute issue I thought the Rams needed to nail down to have a respectable defense this year. Not seeing it.

Run defense? Good luck.

The offense better stay healthy because they are gonna need to score a ton of points. The good news is they should have the firepower to do that if the OL holds up.
Exactly right. Run D, OLB play, the secondary in general and ST coverage all look bottom of the league.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
No of course not. I think the difference is we are relying on guys who are backup level players to start at more positions than other teams. Every roster has weaknesses, we just have more than most teams which means the guys behind those backup types are going to be even more of a problem in matchups on gameday.

The worst examples are on defense. But maybe we get lucky on injuries, as luck went against us last season.

I just dont see it. I'm sure a lot of other fans think their players aren't up to par either. IMO talent level is mostly average across the league and doesn't change much. I dont think ours is that much behind any other team, if at all.

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
We got smoked in all three games. Especially against Denver. I know you'll say these are scrubs my answer to that is both sides are putting equal scrubs in and out s rubs suck worse by a mile. Many of the 48/53 played and Ben ett has looked bad, our kicker missed 2 easy FGs. Very little positives outside of Evans our punter, Tomillson maybe Allen 1 game and Rivers has looked good.

Our DLine looked terrible pur OLB must be the worst in the league hardly any pressures from any of them same with our secondary.

The offense will be fine, but if we are constantly playing from behind we will be one dimensional and players could get hurt.

This will be a long season too many players on defense not retained or others who are similar not signed causing one side of the ball to be really short.

The Rams didn't win any pre-season games in the year we won the super bowl. Not playing starters and losing in pre-season means nothing.

I do have my concerns this season because we lost a lot of talent from last season. I think the offense will be ok. It's the defense and special teams that I'm really worried about.