Potential Trades

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

pvtdragon39

Rookie
Now that AD as retired, do you think its more realistic to do a trade for Mack, and restructure more contracts?

Personally we should bother the Eagles about Reddick and Sweat even tho Sweat just restructured. These two would create chaos with our young guys. We would need some help from HIG/Kupp/Stafford Tho. It would fill 2 huge gaps.

Do we go after Clowney or Young?

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
Rams knew this was coming. If they didn't pull the trigger on those players before they restructured, why do it now? That reeks of desperation. Moves based on desperation always fail.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Best option may be a trade down from 19. I hate to admit it but getting an additional late 2nd rounder would help them to counter the loss of AD by adding another piece to the defense. Just get better on that side of the ball across the board I think is the immediate answer.

Turner has some flexibility to him due to how tough he is to move. But 3T feels like his spot, barring them drafting a guy like Newton. Problem is if that kid from Mizzou is off the board at 19 (Kiper is high as hell on him) then I don't really see a 5T that could warrant early selection. So if they plan to slide Brown over they could potentially add a nose at some point instead. Whatever they do it's gonna require a DT coming in, and then maybe Turner's flexibility plays in terms of accommodating that.

But if they're smart they'll add a lot of defenders in this draft. I know they'll probably take a WR, so get that done and put the rest of that draft capital into this defense. They needed help before AD retired. Now it's even more profound a need.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Best option may be a trade down from 19. I hate to admit it but getting an additional late 2nd rounder would help them to counter the loss of AD by adding another piece to the defense. Just get better on that side of the ball across the board I think is the immediate answer.

Turner has some flexibility to him due to how tough he is to move. But 3T feels like his spot, barring them drafting a guy like Newton. Problem is if that kid from Mizzou is off the board at 19 (Kiper is high as hell on him) then I don't really see a 5T that could warrant early selection. So if they plan to slide Brown over they could potentially add a nose at some point instead. Whatever they do it's gonna require a DT coming in, and then maybe Turner's flexibility plays in terms of accommodating that.

But if they're smart they'll add a lot of defenders in this draft. I know they'll probably take a WR, so get that done and put the rest of that draft capital into this defense. They needed help before AD retired. Now it's even more profound a need.

I'm not nearly as high on Darius Robinson as Mel. I've watched the games. He was only a game-breaker at edge last year, (and only last year; he's a late-bloomer whom we barely noticed aside from being named team captain before the season started) and honestly, I barely noticed him, even last year. I'd take him in the second, but he's not going there (much like Rakestraw isn't going in the second, which I simply don't understand on both accounts). Johnny Walker Jr., as emotional as he is and how much his play straddles - and occasionally crosses - the line, was a much more impactful player than Robinson on the line (he's a potential 2025 draft pick, along with the consensus number one player in 2025, Luther Burden III).

Mizzou's D-line was decent, but none of them truly impressed me enough to see a first round pick out of any of them (even Walker Jr. I have real issues with his character, especially on the field, which will drop him. He's clearly talented enough to be a first-round pick, which makes it all the more annoying to see.)

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not nearly as high on Darius Robinson as Mel. I've watched the games. He was only a game-breaker at edge last year, (and only last year; he's a late-bloomer whom we barely noticed aside from being named team captain before the season started) and honestly, I barely noticed him, even last year. I'd take him in the second, but he's not going there (much like Rakestraw isn't going in the second, which I simply don't understand on both accounts). Johnny Walker Jr., as emotional as he is and how much his play straddles - and occasionally crosses - the line, was a much more impactful player than Robinson on the line (he's a potential 2025 draft pick, along with the consensus number one player in 2025, Luther Burden III).

Mizzou's D-line was decent, but none of them truly impressed me enough to see a first round pick out of any of them (even Walker Jr. I have real issues with his character, especially on the field, which will drop him. He's clearly talented enough to be a first-round pick, which makes it all the more annoying to see.)
I probably watched 4 or 5 of their games last season and agree their DL didn't impress as a unit. But I didn't go back and watch him specifically so no idea where he's gonna slot. I'll also agree that he would probably stick in my mind if he was a special player so you're probably correct on him.

But one nice thing here is the Rams seem to draft DL quite well. Although I worry that recipe might be affected with Henderson leaving, so is this next guy gonna help them select well.

One option for them if they don't like the interior pressure types would be a run snot bubbler and another corner. Just concede that the pass rush will be weak and try to juice your coverage side. Problem here is we need to stuff the run in this division almost first and foremost. MacDonald will be a continuation of that in Seattle I think, philosophically speaking. So our primary competition is gonna be stout on the ground and I hope we start by ensuring we can stuff the run.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
Now that AD as retired, do you think its more realistic to do a trade for Mack, and restructure more contracts?

Personally we should bother the Eagles about Reddick and Sweat even tho Sweat just restructured. These two would create chaos with our young guys. We would need some help from HIG/Kupp/Stafford Tho. It would fill 2 huge gaps.

I don't really see trades happening, but going after Clowney or Young would be a smart move. We have too many holes to go into the draft with 2 glaring needs on defense. I'll be really hoping Murphy drops to us, he's as close to an AD type player we could hope for in this draft. Would also love to get Sweat, perhaps in the 3rd. Mammoth man that actually can play the pass and is a stud against the run.

pvtdragon39

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
We are probably going to grab either Cooper, or Latu. Now there will be 3 or 4 CB on the board most likely. Kool-aid/ Arnold/Wiggins Might fall to round 2 depending on if the other teams all go for QBS. If we dont get Cooper, Latu, Murph, do we trade out of the 1st round?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They've known this was happening so I doubt very much this changes anything.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
you have to figure that they like a few DL/DT guys in this draft. Otherwise, how do you make sense of them not getting anyone at all on the DL in FA. As OS said, this was known. They could have spent that JJ/TE money on a top DT guy. Or simply gotten a low cost depth DT type in the mold/price of Gaines -- there are many of them. It makes me think that they like their internal guys a lot...and they have their eyes on a couple obtainable guys in this draft.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I wonder if there is a possibility to move to a 4-3 defense with Donald gone? Would eliminate the need for a rush LB and Hoecht is more of a 4-3 DE as well. Haven't looked at true DEs in the draft and what's available.

Probably not, but just a thought.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I probably watched 4 or 5 of their games last season and agree their DL didn't impress as a unit. But I didn't go back and watch him specifically so no idea where he's gonna slot. I'll also agree that he would probably stick in my mind if he was a special player so you're probably correct on him.

But one nice thing here is the Rams seem to draft DL quite well. Although I worry that recipe might be affected with Henderson leaving, so is this next guy gonna help them select well.

One option for them if they don't like the interior pressure types would be a run snot bubbler and another corner. Just concede that the pass rush will be weak and try to juice your coverage side. Problem here is we need to stuff the run in this division almost first and foremost. MacDonald will be a continuation of that in Seattle I think, philosophically speaking. So our primary competition is gonna be stout on the ground and I hope we start by ensuring we can stuff the run.

Mizzou's strength was the defensive backfield, easily. There's a reason I love Kris Abrams-Draine and Rakestraw as Day 2 corners, J.C. Carlies is a big safety/linebacker type with surprising ball-skills, Dreyden Norwood played extremely well when Rakestraw was constantly injured last year (one of the reasons I believe he's not a first-round corner; I just don't trust the injury history of Rakestraw, having had an ACL tear and the nagging injuries last year that cost him games).

Daylen Carnell is great, Joseph Charleston is solid, Sidney Williams, Marcus Clarke, and Tre'Vez Johnson were solid depth, Phillip Roche and Marvin Burks Jr. were two freshmen who played well, Ja'Marion Wayne (who has the coveted #25, which is an absolutely special number for Mizzou), Nicolas Deloach Jr., Shamar McNeil, Isaac Thompson, all of them are solid young defensive backs on the team already, and they added transfers like Toriano Pride Jr. and younger players like Jackson Hancock, Cameron Keys, Jaren Sensabaugh, and Trajen Greco.

It's going to be an immensely competitive group, and the wide receiver group for Mizzou are even better than the defensive backs.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I am wondering if McVay is viewing this as a two year plan now, sans AD. Not that we won't try to compete, but obviously losing AD (which he had to know a while ago...) and relying on a bunch of rookies/inexperienced pass rushers is a gamble for being a Super Bowl contender.

And with that in mind, I think we may just go HAM on the front 7 in this draft, so I agree on the trade down. Replacing AD is impossible - but nabbing another ILB, two interior DL and an edge would REALLY supplement the front 7. And then depending on how those guys develop, grab an experienced pass rusher for next season which would potentially be the missing link

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I am wondering if McVay is viewing this as a two year plan now, sans AD. Not that we won't try to compete, but obviously losing AD (which he had to know a while ago...) and relying on a bunch of rookies/inexperienced pass rushers is a gamble for being a Super Bowl contender.

And with that in mind, I think we may just go HAM on the front 7 in this draft, so I agree on the trade down. Replacing AD is impossible - but nabbing another ILB, two interior DL and an edge would REALLY supplement the front 7. And then depending on how those guys develop, grab an experienced pass rusher for next season which would potentially be the missing link
Our needs were already extensive on defense before AD punched out so who knows what McVay is thinking right now.

For myself I'd say it is possible for them to address a lot of their needs on that side of the ball. They'll still be short at a position or two, but that can still allow for a good defense. DT is a position I felt we needed a 5T, or failing that another DT at the very least, but it wasn't like that would need to be a difference maker. Even a rotational addition could have helped us. But without AD you need a higher quality addition for pairing with Turner. Otherwise Turner will get all the attention while Brown gets tied up by random blocker.

Now maybe Brown has that light turn on this season but I wouldn't count on that. I'd want a quality addition to pair with Turner and if Brown steps up even better.

Trade down looking very tempting now to me due to this. Especially since they're probably gonna take a wideout, otherwise they'll be wasting Stafford. If they were to drop to the late 20s, accrue an additional late second rounder, then take that wideout we would be nicely set up for a run on defensive positions. Have to think from there they could nab 4 defenders and get good value per draft spot.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
I wrote on another forum about why no defensive FAs - we just added Curl which was after I posted. Williams just washes Witherspoon. My question is if they knew about AD a couple weeks back as being suggested why didn't we have a different plan. Our defense is definitely weaker than it already was. We have a huge need for a #1 CB and OLB we have neither and to depend on the draft to deliver that is a 50/50 proposition and may not reap a benefit in 2024.

Not really great news about AD retirement vs our additional needs now on Defense.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I wrote on another forum about why no defensive FAs - we just added Curl which was after I posted. Williams just washes Witherspoon. My question is if they knew about AD a couple weeks back as being suggested why didn't we have a different plan. Our defense is definitely weaker than it already was. We have a huge need for a #1 CB and OLB we have neither and to depend on the draft to deliver that is a 50/50 proposition and may not reap a benefit in 2024.

Not really great news about AD retirement vs our additional needs now on Defense.

I outlined my thoughts in my last post - but I'm thinking McVay wanted to lock in the offense for the next 2 years. That's done for the most part (save for LT, depends how that goes).

In the draft we throw the kitchen sink at the defense and see what sticks - if the kids are good enough, we are contenders. If they aren't, we go HAM next offseason for one more shot at it.

That assumes Stafford plays two years, but McVay could have had a discussion with him about that

Spider2YB

Pro Bowler
I outlined my thoughts in my last post - but I'm thinking McVay wanted to lock in the offense for the next 2 years. That's done for the most part (save for LT, depends how that goes).

In the draft we throw the kitchen sink at the defense and see what sticks - if the kids are good enough, we are contenders. If they aren't, we go HAM next offseason for one more shot at it.

That assumes Stafford plays two years, but McVay could have had a discussion with him about that
I think the only way Stafford doesn’t play in 2 years is if he gets the holy hell beat out of him this season, or has some devastating injury. I think he is going to continue to play as long as he’s playing at a high level, and also playing for a team that can make deep playoff runs.

PARAM

Hall of Fame

I like Reddick the most of the 4, age, intensity and consistency taken into account. But Rozeman seems to always want more than he should for his players and usually finds a dumbassed team to give it to him. I hope it's not us if that holds true.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
We are probably going to grab either Cooper, or Latu. Now there will be 3 or 4 CB on the board most likely. Kool-aid/ Arnold/Wiggins Might fall to round 2 depending on if the other teams all go for QBS. If we dont get Cooper, Latu, Murph, do we trade out of the 1st round?
I'd say trade back at least. We have some glaring holes, if there is any way to get a 2nd or a 3rd, we gotta try.
I wonder if there is a possibility to move to a 4-3 defense with Donald gone? Would eliminate the need for a rush LB and Hoecht is more of a 4-3 DE as well. Haven't looked at true DEs in the draft and what's available.

Probably not, but just a thought.
This would be interesting. A guy like Trice would be a great DE in a 4-3 and could possibly be had in late 2nd, 3rd.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I don’t know what’s next… but.. I just don’t think they’re done until the draft.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I think the only way Stafford doesn’t play in 2 years is if he gets the holy hell beat out of him this season, or has some devastating injury. I think he is going to continue to play as long as he’s playing at a high level, and also playing for a team that can make deep playoff runs.
In the trailer for that upcoming Stafford documentary, he does mention about wahtung to go into the HOF. So he is likley to want to play longer.