Pompei: Rams to Move Up for Cooper? or Down? Wildcard Team

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FRO

Legend
If true, I question if the team would trade picks to move up for a WR. Perhaps they might move a player instead.
I think it's all about the player. I view Cooper in the same vein as Donald last year. I would love to get Cooper. I really want to see us build a great line as well and we will have to trade a second round pick to move up to get him.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I think it's all about the player. I view Cooper in the same vein as Donald last year. I would love to get Cooper. I really want to see us build a great line as well and we will have to trade a second round pick to move up to get him.

What if the trade was Tavon Austin & #10 overall to get Cooper?

V3

Hall of Fame
I think drafting poorly and letting good players go did more damage than trading away those picks
Teams only let good players go because of the salary cap. That's why low cost rookies are so valuable. I won't deny they haven't drafted well but a team's best players almost always come from the first two rounds. They didn't have those picks. Those are the easiest picks to get right. If you're going to trade away those top picks, you HAVE to draft well in the later rounds and find some gems. They didn't. Most teams don't which is why trade ups don't work most of the time.

JoeBo21

Hall of Fame
237.gif

iced

Teams only let good players go because of the salary cap. That's why low cost rookies are so valuable. I won't deny they haven't drafted well but a team's best players almost always come from the first two rounds. They didn't have those picks. Those are the easiest picks to get right. If you're going to trade away those top picks, you HAVE to draft well in the later rounds and find some gems. They didn't. Most teams don't which is why trade ups don't work most of the time.

they started going to crap for the same reason the GSOT fell apart - their drafting has been terrible and they've done nothing to fix the holes on their roster

V3

Hall of Fame
they started going to crap for the same reason the GSOT fell apart - their drafting has been terrible and they've done nothing to fix the holes on their roster
We agree there. I just think having first and second rounders would have lessened their decline. Beyond them, I can't think of too many teams that did well with a big trade up in the modern era. All I can think of off the top of my head is the Giants/Manning trade.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I just had these Joe Barksdale thoughts fly through my one cell paramecium brain cell...in trying to go positive on Joe Barksdale & refrain from my constant statements made in response of all posters who state JB is a solution, or a fix, or good Ram starting OL'er etc... etc....

Joe Barksdale's has been in the NFL since being drafted in 2011 by the Raiders. Of his 4 NFL seasons...he has had one good season & that was in 2013. JB never started in the very weak Raider OL in 2011 & was cut just before the regular 2012 season.

In 2012 as JB was crowned with the WWC stamp...the Rams picked him up as their 4th OT. Later after injuries removed the Rams 3 options @ OLT JB started two games @ OLT & was man handed on both run & pass downs by the defense. JB never saw the Ram field again @ OLT.

In 2013 Rams started TC with four OT's.....Jake Long OLT, Rodger Saffold ORT, Chris Williams (Swing OT) & Joe Barksdale 4th OT. As the above went through TC & pre season Chris Williams won the vacant open starting OLG post. Rams now were down one OT but later filled that open spot with Mike Person & Max Starks for a short period. ORT Saffold was injured & Barksdale by default as the only OT reserve took over Saffold's starting ORT post. When the season started JB was sent to the bench.

Game one Saffold was injured and JB was back in business. Saffold returned to start game two & JB was back on bench....Saffold suffered a serious grade 3 sprain & went unhealthy for a long period. JB took up the mantle of the ORT post for close to a month & did better than expected. After that month Saffold & Barksdale shared the duties of the starting ORT post as Saffold knee dictated. Soon Saffold was fully healed & sent JB back to the reserve bench. Starting ORG Harvey was injured & Saffold inserted JB is now the starter.

In 2014 JB's first season as a official starter. JB did very well as a #1- Run Blocker, & #2- proved to be the Rams most durable Ram OL'er health wise. Both of these qualities are very important as we all know due to the dismal history of the Ram OL in the area of remaining healthy.

I suspect that many of JB pro ROD posters hold those two mentioned above qualities high in what they like in a ORT. Its hard to find issue with that. Its the pass protection issues that raised it very ugly head in 2014 when Ram opponents finally wrote the Joe Barksdale book & learned & figure out how to attack the Rams OL & be very effective in disrupting it. JB did not fail totally in 2014 but JB did fail completely on the pass protections part of his game & always will & yes having Davin Joseph starting 13 games to his left was more gas to the fire. Finally our 2014 OC gave JB very little help in the way of a blocking TE when JB was having all his issues with those smaller speed rushers just outside his right shoulder.

In conclusion if JB was paired with Rodger Saffold or a rookie naturally talented skilled pass blocking ORG like Laken Tomlinson..... JB should have a much better season. Our new OC could more often place some Lance Kendrick help on the right outside area of JB too.

Last edited:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
In conclusion if JB was paired with Rodger Saffold or a rookie naturally talented skilled pass blocking ORG like Laken Tomlinson..... JB should have a much better season. Our new OC could more often place some Lance Kendrick help on the right outside area of JB too.
And you were doing so well boni, I agreed with everything, until you had to finish with this.....JB is a liability...He's gonna get somebody hurt on a 3 step drop...see the key word in GREEN

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
And you were doing so well boni, I agreed with everything, until you had to finish with this.....JB is a liability...He's gonna get somebody hurt on a 3 step drop...see the key word in GREEN

I disagree. Our RG was the liability. JB will be fine.