(Poll) Which Rams players are most likely to be released during the offseason?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Which Rams players are most likely to be released during the offseason?

• Chris Long

Votes: 86 54.4%
  • James Laurinaitis

Votes: 36 22.8%
  • Nick Foles

Votes: 71 44.9%
  • Jared Cook

Votes: 92 58.2%
  • Rodger Saffold

Votes: 58 36.7%
  • Kenny Britt

Votes: 13 8.2%
  • Other

Votes: 23 14.6%

• Total voters

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
If Fisher stays I don't see him cutting Foles. I see him trying to rehabilitate him. Hope I'm wrong. I could also see Fisher hanging onto Cook.

I think you're wrong on Foles, but right on Cook. However, there are some nice options at TE in the 2016 draft so I'm hopeful both will be gone in 2016 for the betterment of the roster.

Athos

Legend
The Cookie Monster done ate his last cookie.

Time to toss him to Oscar the Grouch.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Well, … good arguments could be made for all on the list, although I went with CLong, Laurinaitis & Foles.

Cook & Britt are in that FOJF classification, so he may be reluctant to part with them this season, … also not a very deep TE class, so unless we are willing to move up, might be difficult to find someone who can beat out what we currently have on the roster. Quick doesn't seem like the same guy since his injury, good chance we lose him in free agency anyway, and Bailey's career may be over, so Britt's value may not be due to success as much as just being a warm body who is still under contract. jmo.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
Let's not forget that 55 is dealing with an injury to his elbow. That he's playing through it is a testament to his durability.

Ram65

Legend
They can't/shouldn't release both Hayes and Long IMO. They both give you a veteran presence and locker room solidarity, and you don't want to create a massive hole at DE, so you stick with the guy who is still producing...Hayes.

I was thinking about signing both at reasonable cost. Reasonable cost is very subjective of course. I looked up some of W. Hayes numbers and they are much less than special. His sacks are down while playing time is up. He had 2 sacks against the Browns and only 1/2 sack the rest of the season. IIRC Hayes numbers show he plays better when in a rotation. He will be 31 in May of 2016.
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=william hayes stats

You have to consider that Sims hasn't done much either. I would give both Hayes and Long a two year contract. It may be for 3 years but one the Rams could get out of without a cap hit. Getting both for 10-12 Million a year might work out. I'm not sure who will be available in free agency or draft but, I don't see many alternatives on the roster as of yet.

FrankenRam

Starter

^^This^^

- CLong is probably back on a renegotiated contract.
- Almost no chance JL55 is cut.
- Slim chance Foles is cut.
- Cook, I dunno. As FLV suggests, he'll probably be in camp. Whether he sticks may depend on who would be available to replace him.
- Saffold....probably depends on how much they like the play of this year's rookies. If they like, he's probably a good bet to be gone.
- Britt. Another tossup at least partially dependent on who is available to replace him.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I voted Long and Cook. Everything I've heard says that Long is a good guy, and was an important player for years. But unless he renegotiates and take a huge pay cut to reduce his cap hit, there is no way the Rams can keep an aging player with so huge a hit.

Cook has a big cap hit, and frankly hasn't even been close to worth it. Add in that the Rams want a reliable TE who can block along with catching a few, and I see him gone.

Cap savings for cutting Foles is pocket change by NFL standards. And they would get the same savings cutting him immediately or as part of the final cuts before the season begins. So no real reason to cut him now. I could see them trading him to a team that wants to gamble and thinks they have the line to support him - probably not for much, but a late round pick.

I don't see JL being cut. He's not that expensive for a decent starting MLB. He's not a huge star, but he's reliable and calls the defense effectively.

Saffold should be cut, but with all the OL problems they have had I don't see it happening, at least until the Rams have a replacement in hand.

Britt is a bit overpaid - but I think Quick is gone - he doesn't seem to have come back from his injury. Bailey is likely through. Austin's great, but not really a WR. The Rams just don't have the depth to cut somebody like Britt.

This pretty much sums up where I am at.

CL hopefully considers a restructure, but there is no doubt he won't be back on his existing contract. I think he tests the FA waters.

Cook seems like the next viable cap savings, assuming the Rams feel comfortable without him. He's been a durable player and plays a lot of downs. He's my 2nd choice to be cut.

Saffold is my 3rd highest "at risk" cap casualty. He's not big savings, but the injury history is real. If those shoulders don't get a nearly 100% Doctor approval, he's cut. (BTW... Anyone see on the Rams site the video posted of them giving gifts away to kids at Christmas? Saffold looked THIN).

Foles I believe is safe. The money is sunk. So at the very least he could stay as a backup. The only way I see Foles cut, is if the Rams land a QB and like Keenum better as the backup. In that scenario, the Rams just cut their losses and move on from Foles.

JL is safe. He's at least average, but his elbow has really contributed to an off year. His cap number isn't enormous. As the captain of the D... He stays.

Britt is safe. He's been healthy. His cap number isn't huge.

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman

I saw this same thing on Foles but don't understand how it makes sense. What the h3ll is a guaranteed roster bonus?? Isn't the point of a roster bonus that you only get it if you make the roster??

That question notwithstanding, the way Keenum is playing (including the 6 point win in Seattle) makes it more likely the Rams cut Foles whenever it makes financial / cap sense. It might be that neither guy is the answer, but no need to keep around two such guys.

fearsomefour

Legend
My initial thought is Britt, Cook, Saffold.
That $13M could be used to help bring back some D FAs. With Johnson, JJ, Barron, McLeod, Hayes and Fairley the Rams have a ton of big contributors on D that are coming up.
Chris Long is certainly a contender as well given his big cap number/savings. I think the team will try to re do his deal. It would be interesting to see how stubborn he may be with that. It is not like he will sign for what he is making in St. Louis somewhere else....not one is going to offer him $14M a year. He is a very good D end but has been riddled with injuries the last two years and is getting older. C Long has been a grinder, hustling and playing with class for many losing teams, I would like him to be apart of it when the Rams turn it around, but, he probably has to help out to have that happen. If he can free up, say, $6M with a new deal/restructure Britt, Cook, Saffold, Long are freeing up $19M in addition to what the Rams already have.
One thing for sure, the Rams have to be aggressive with JJ and Tru. Losing both would be a major blow and there are teams with a lot of money that will come hard after them if they hit the open market. Johnson has been playing well and is a 6' 2" physical corner who plays the run well. JJ is a playmaker.
To me, resigning Johnson, JJ and Barron are the top priorities. Followed by Fairley and Barnes.
Fairley is unlikely as I think he will get pretty big money to start somewhere.

fearsomefour

Legend
Britt is safe. He's been healthy. His cap number isn't huge.
You are probably right but I would seriously consider letting him go.
To me, he is not a complete receiver and is always injured, nicked up. I don't think he is healthy now, I think he has some shoulder issue going on. If his $4M can go toward keeping one of our many valuable D FAs I am letting him go.

LetsGoRams

Pro Bowler
Name
Thrasher
Long will be cut. There's no way they will pay that much for him. They may re-sign him at a much, much lower amount, but he'll be cut first. I think Cook will be cut too. I hope they cut Foles. I think he's done. The dude can't beat out Case Keenum. Why give him a roster spot? Even if it saves a dime, I'd cut him too. Stupid move to extend him without seeing him play in a game. I'd like to see Britt and Laurinaitis back.

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
I would try to resign JJ and TJ along with MB and cut Long,JL,Saffold and Foles.With 3 high picks and free agency they can be replaced with younger talent and a vet or two.

Ozoneranger

Rookie
If Fisher stays I don't see him cutting Foles. I see him trying to rehabilitate him. Hope I'm wrong. I could also see Fisher hanging onto Cook.

If Fisher, QB guru that he is, tries to rehabilitate Foles, then it's better just to cut him.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
Long - they will want him to restructure and if no deal can be met there hes no doubt going to be cut

Laurinaitis - another candidate to be restructured but more likely to be kept if no deal made

Foles - Keenum's play made him expendable, but since cutting him saves little money he will be on the team through camp and likely cut in preseason

Cook- cost too much and not needed. should be cut

Saffold - versatility will likely save his roster spot, unless they need the money

Britt - no good WRs and he doesnt cut much? doubt he gets cut unless they add a few more wrs

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Why would we want to release any of these 6 Rams? Lets just keep them all!

Oh could it be we would also like to have some cap funds to purchase one or two of our departing both starting CB's, FS, OLB, both DE's, FB, OC, QB?

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I saw this same thing on Foles but don't understand how it makes sense. What the h3ll is a guaranteed roster bonus?? Isn't the point of a roster bonus that you only get it if you make the roster??

Besides what @flv said, this was part of cap management. Rather than give him a big signing bonus, which would count in 2017 too, the Rams prefer to give roster bonuses. This means the money counts in the year it is paid - but if the team needs some of the money for that season, before it is paid it can be converted to a signing bonus to spread out the cap hit. If Bradford hadn't been traded the Rams were set to do that with Quinn, for instance.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
I go along with the majority. Long and Cook hould go as Long cost too much and cook i not the player we thought he was! Love Long's presence and good pr but Hayes can play there at least as well and cost less!