(Poll) Which Rams players are most likely to be released during the offseason?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Which Rams players are most likely to be released during the offseason?

• Chris Long

Votes: 86 54.4%
  • James Laurinaitis

Votes: 36 22.8%
  • Nick Foles

Votes: 71 44.9%
  • Jared Cook

Votes: 92 58.2%
  • Rodger Saffold

Votes: 58 36.7%
  • Kenny Britt

Votes: 13 8.2%
  • Other

Votes: 23 14.6%

• Total voters

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2015/12/26/10626692/st-louis-rams-seattle-seahawks-preview

The Rams will have many difficult decisions to make this off season. Some of those decisions will likely involve players listed among their 2015 top dozen salary cap hits:

Nick Fairley becomes an UFA after the season. Has Fairley accomplished enough on his one year prove-it deal to warrant a longer term contract with the Rams?

Chris Long has missed 4 games this season due to injury, after missing 10 games in 2014 with an injury. Long will be 31 and counts $14.25 million against the Rams' salary cap in 2016 (the final year of his contract). Will the Rams part ways with Long, or work out a small extension, reducing his 2016 salary cap hit in the process?

The inconsistent Jared Cook has an $8.3 million salary cap hit in 2016. Will the Rams negotiate a pay cut with Cook, release him outright (cap savings of $5.7M in 2016) or leave the contract as it is?

The oft-injured Rodger Saffold will miss 11 games this season due to a shoulder injury. Saffold may become a salary cap casualty in the offseason. His release would create $3 million in salary cap savings for 2016.

William Hayes becomes an UFA after the season. Hayes has played more snaps this season because of injuries to Chris Long and Robert Quinn. He's a quality performer who represents great value for the Rams. They'll make every attempt to re-sign Hayes this offseason.

Kenny Britt has had his ups and downs since joining the Rams in 2014. Britt will carry a $4.85 million salary cap hit in 2016. Depending on ones perspective, that salary cap hit could be considered a relative bargain...or an extravagance.

James Laurinaitis' salary cap hit rises to $6.425 million in 2016 , from $4.275M in 2015. Laurinaitis is a better-than-average MLB and team leader. Could he become a cap casualty this offseason? If the Rams re-sign Mark Barron, they could decide to move Alec Ogletree inside (his college position) and have Barron, Ogletree and Ayers as their starting LB's.

A month ago, I took a look at "The Implications Of Nick Foles' Contract Extension". If the Rams release Foles after the season, they will only save $750,000 against the salary cap. Will the Rams keep Foles through 2016?

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Voted Long and Cook. Would like to add Saffold but i think they hold onto him.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
ABB....All But Britt....The Rams already have a player in house that IMO can replace James Laurinaitis in Bryce Hager and that is before the 2016 NFL Draft. Chris Long a great leader, but time awaits no man and it's time to move on and save some money as well. Not sure about bringing back Hayes who is on the wrong side of 30 might be some better options out there.

We wanted to believe in Nick Foles, but that ship has sailed and although it will cost more money to release him than keep him unless they can unload him to Andy Reid who drafted him by picking up the majority of his contract time to go in another direction.

We are all tired of holding our breath on Rodger "Dodger" Saffold and upon his release I would like to fire the Ram physicians who passed him when Oakland didn't regardless of the reasons behind the failed physical, it seems the Raider Physicians knew far more than the Ram physicians. I'm sure there would be better options out there including bringing back Garrett Reynolds.

Well, fools gold struck again last week as Jared Cook again proved what many of us keep thinking will emerge year in and year out, but ends up being a disappointment most of the time. Keep Harkey and draft somebody like Hunter Henry or O..J. Howard to save some money and add another blocker for Todd Gurley.

Ram65

Legend
Voted Long and Cook. Would like to add Saffold but i think they hold onto him.

Agreed, so I voted the same. Could be hard to release Long as he is looked at as a team leader and has long tenure with Rams. He just can't take up that much cap space.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Agreed, so I voted the same. Could be hard to release Long as he is looked at as a team leader and has long tenure with Rams. He just can't take up that much cap space.
They can't/shouldn't release both Hayes and Long IMO. They both give you a veteran presence and locker room solidarity, and you don't want to create a massive hole at DE, so you stick with the guy who is still producing...Hayes.

RamWoodie

Legend
I'm not sure of anyone. JL comes to mind first as a possibility, but I'm not absolutely sure about that. I know this...QB is critical and I'm still dumbfounded after seeing Foles play, as to why he was given a contract extension!

The Rams first need IS AN OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR!!!! Get that first, then we can think about who needs to go. The Rams offense simply doesn't maximize what they should be able to do!

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I went:
For sure;
* Foles
* Saffolds
* Cooks

Others;
I'm not sure of anything here, other than I'm sure there well be other's!!

I also expect that the is going to be a Coaching shake-up on the OC Staff!!
None of this, IMHO, are BOLD Predictions!! But it's how I see it at this point! With two games left!!
And to those who think CL is not going to be here next year .... :rolllaugh:

jap

Legend
I'm wondering if Chris Long can be packaged with other pick(s) or player(s) to Chicago for WR Alshon Jeffery. Chris can be united with his brother, and the Rams can add a quality WR to the Thunder & Lightning dynamic duo of TGII & Tavon.

tavian

Not me.I am waaaay uglier
James Laurinaitis' salary cap hit rises to $6.425 million in 2016 , from $4.275M in 2015. Laurinaitis is a better-than-average MLB and team leader.

If you are a believer in PFF grading,this statement doesn't ring completely true this year.
Leader yes,but play has been well below average.ranking 85th out of 90 qualified at the linebacker position.
Mark Barron on the other hand ranks 24th.Not too shabby for a safety!

rank - overall -- run d - cover - pass rsh - pass snaps - run snaps

55 SL James Laurinaitis 85 35.6 20.3 44.0 51.0 612 411
6 SL Mark Barron 24 72.7 77.9 67.9 58.6 514 329

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I voted Long and Cook. Everything I've heard says that Long is a good guy, and was an important player for years. But unless he renegotiates and take a huge pay cut to reduce his cap hit, there is no way the Rams can keep an aging player with so huge a hit.

Cook has a big cap hit, and frankly hasn't even been close to worth it. Add in that the Rams want a reliable TE who can block along with catching a few, and I see him gone.

Cap savings for cutting Foles is pocket change by NFL standards. And they would get the same savings cutting him immediately or as part of the final cuts before the season begins. So no real reason to cut him now. I could see them trading him to a team that wants to gamble and thinks they have the line to support him - probably not for much, but a late round pick.

I don't see JL being cut. He's not that expensive for a decent starting MLB. He's not a huge star, but he's reliable and calls the defense effectively.

Saffold should be cut, but with all the OL problems they have had I don't see it happening, at least until the Rams have a replacement in hand.

Britt is a bit overpaid - but I think Quick is gone - he doesn't seem to have come back from his injury. Bailey is likely through. Austin's great, but not really a WR. The Rams just don't have the depth to cut somebody like Britt.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Long is a restructure or cut. Same with JL. Gonna need cash for one of those CBs.

Cook is likely a cut unless he really blossoms under Boras. His last game he looked like a different TE, was shocking to say the least, but doubt he keeps it up. So think he's gone.

Saffold is a certain cut. He's let this OL down too many times. Not his fault necessarily, but Fisher seems to cap his patience with injury-shortened seasons and I am certain Roger has exceeded his rope there. This team is better off with promotion of someone like Wichmann to the starting role and either add another OG like Reynolds to the mix or draft another OG. Time to move on IMO.

iced

Cook is almost a given... I think Britt and foles are up there too..

saffold i would say is restructure or gets another year - question is where and what do they do in the draft

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm wondering if Chris Long can be packaged with other pick(s) or player(s) to Chicago for WR Alshon Jeffery. Chris can be united with his brother, and the Rams can add a quality WR to the Thunder & Lightning dynamic duo of TGII & Tavon.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/12/25/as-free-agency-approaches-alshon-jeffery-doubtful/

As free agency approaches, Alshon Jeffery doubtful
Posted by Mike Florio on December 25, 2015

The rough contract year for Bears receiver Alshon Jeffery continues.

Jeffery, who had 1,000-plus-yard seasons in both 2013 and 2014, likely will miss his sixth game of the season on Sunday against the Bears. Jeffery is doubtful with a hamstring injury.

The anticipated absence comes a week after a season-low one-catch performance against the Vikings. (The good news is that it resulted in his fourth touchdown of the season.)

Jeffery is eligible for free agency in March. It’s unclear whether the Bears will try to keep him before he can test his value on the open market. The franchise tag is also an option, but a one-year deal in excess of $10 million seems like a lot to page for a guy who likely won’t generate more than 1,000 yards this year.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I voted Chris Long... way too much money for the production (not even close). And Jared Cook is an exceptional athlete who can't catch or block. We never should have signed him to begin with. Saffold stays because he is a good blocker and IIRC, his shoulders will be fine. He can be a very good guard or tackle and we just signed him! Fairley... not enough production. Britt.. we need a receiver, even if he is mediocre. Agree with the reasons for keeping JL (leader) and Hayes (leader). Sims probably gone. Foles will be our backup (or 3rd string due to that stupid contract). McLeod... probably gone... seems like we could replace him fairly easily. Lastly, Barron... great player... not sure if we need him with TJ and Mo. Spend the savings on JJ and Tru.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
Long and Cook. Long is a good locker room presence and teammate but his performance has dropped significantly. I think if he is willing to restructure his contract, he could stay. Cook needs to go. IMO he's a terrible acquisition and has been extremely inconsistent. He's unwilling to block with any desire.

A55VA6

Legend
Foles is here to stay. That contract was a commitment and there's really no reason to cut him at this point.

Laurinaitis isn't going anywhere. Sure the cap number is high, but he's very durable and a smart football player.

Saffold should be cut but likely won't.. we probably will need him.

Unfortunately, Chris Long might be gone unless he can restructure or take a big pay cut. Such a great guy, would hate to see him go.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Who I think they'll cut and who I want them to is probably not the same.

Cook and Britt are non factors most the time. Unless you count Cooks drops as factors for losing. I really wouldn't want either of them back, especially Cook with that contract. I'd be open to bringing Britt back for the right price and with the understanding that you need better receivers. Britt could be a number 3 or 4. Quick's not on the list but I think he's done. I don't what happened to this year's Quick compared to last year's pre-injury Quick. But he's even more a non factor than Cook or Britt. I don't see a future with Quick.

Saffold won't play a full season. Maybe not even half a season. I wouldn't be bothered if they move on from him. I'm not a good judge of line play but I've heard people mention center when they talk about needs during the offseason. If Barnes is that bad then maybe they need to look for a replacement.

Long is not as good as Sims or Hayes anymore, IMO. And he's becoming injury prone. He's a saavy vet and good locker room guy. But that only gets you so far. At some point you either gotta pay him a lot less or make plans to move on.

JL is not the best athlete. But he's smart and can quarterback a defense with the best of them. I wouldn't have a problem re-structuring his contract and giving him another year or two. We could do worse. But I also believe if there is a guy in the 2nd or 3rd round that they believe can be a quality MLB that they can slowly work into it, they should think about drafting one. Of course, if there's a future star available early I might think about it

Foles has just gotta go. He's toast. I don't see him ever regaining what little mojo he had. If they believe the future QB is on the roster then we're in trouble. Keenum's a little better than Foles but he's more backup material than starter. Unless you don't believe you have a playoff team.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I am thinking Chris Long and Jared Cook....Cook has been another FA bust, so it seems to be a no brainer if the savings are there...Long? Love the guy, but his body is not able to do what it once did, even though his mind and spirit are still good.....I don't think with that new contract, we can just dump Foles, and Saffold..man, that dude should be gone but he's good when healthy and is sort of the fools gold Fisher keeps chasing...

FRO

Legend
If Fisher stays I don't see him cutting Foles. I see him trying to rehabilitate him. Hope I'm wrong. I could also see Fisher hanging onto Cook.

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If Fisher stays I don't see him cutting Foles. I see him trying to rehabilitate him. Hope I'm wrong. I could also see Fisher hanging onto Cook.
due to having to pay him,. foles will probably get a last chance in preseason next year. unless a miracle happens, i dont see him improving any. basically keenum vs mannion vs 2016 qb draft pick for starter next year. hopefully some improvement to the OL as well, (veteran center at least). i will never understand extending foles' contract without making him prove himself first. since that horse is now dead and rotted, on to the next issue. the OL.