Poll: Post Gurley RB strategy

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Use of RB's Going Forward

• Use and abuse Akers and look to trade him after three years as the bell-cow RB

Votes: 30 56.6%
  • Nah man, if Akers does good, we should preserve him and get ready for that 2nd contract

Votes: 15 28.3%
  • Doesn't matter. Only get RB's after round three cuz RB by committee is the only way.

Votes: 8 15.1%

• Total voters

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yep but at what price ? Peterson also took a switch to his son as well.

What’s going to happen with Gurley ?? My point is the value & risk. I didn’t know what Todd Gurley’s knee looks like. I just know what I saw when he got injured & what was said about the injury at the time.
Who was the RB from South Carolina who came back for his senior
& hurt his knee again ? He was drafted by the 8ers.
You've lost me. What the heck does Peterson kid have to do with it?
Gurley easily proved worthy of the pick, OROY and OPOY. And he sure looked worthy of his contract extension thru the first 14 games of 2018. Thats when the 2nd guessing, monday morning QBing started

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I prefer the RBC approach.

Use them to create mismatches... keeps a high wear-and-tear position fresh.
I'm on the fence with the RBC.
Some players seem to get in a rhythm and become more dangerous as the game goes on.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
Yep but at what price ? Peterson also took a switch to his son as well.

What’s going to happen with Gurley ?? My point is the value & risk. I didn’t know what Todd Gurley’s knee looks like. I just know what I saw when he got injured & what was said about the injury at the time.
Who was the RB from South Carolina who came back for his senior
& hurt his knee again ? He was drafted by the 8ers.

Anyway Akers is a young back with a 4 year contract. He has to establish himself as a rookie RB. Time will tell,but hopefully McSnead puts value in the RB depth no matter who is back there.
Marcus Lattimore?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
You've lost me. What the heck does Peterson kid have to do with it?
Gurley easily proved worthy of the pick, OROY and OPOY. And he sure looked worthy of his contract extension thru the first 14 games of 2018. Thats when the 2nd guessing, monday morning QBing started

you tell me what first round rookies get extensions after 3 years ?

Todd Gurley was a Ram only 5 seasons. The Rams did not have to do a Damn thing.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I voted for preserve Akers, but only because I disagree with running him into the ground. I say, split carries between Akers and Henderson. Go with the hot hand, but don't hesitate to use both in a 1a/1b type role.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Marcus Lattimore?

thanks, was really hoping he could comeback from his injury. Just showed you can comeback from a knee injury like that, but the 2nd time is so much harder.
Watching Bradford with all his injuries were tough as well.
I appreciate Todd Gurley as a Ram.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I voted for preserve Akers, but only because I disagree with running him into the ground. I say, split carries between Akers and Henderson. Go with the hot hand, but don't hesitate to use both in a 1a/1b type role.

Well I hope Brown can also help with some of the work load. I say you always look to build your stable.
In 2017 I wanted The Rams to draft D. Cooks from FSU . Snead said at the time there is only one football. Of course I’m happy with Everett & JJ, plus D.Cooks went earlier than projected. The fact was Les Sneads thinking then. Now I thing he has changed his view as McSnead grows together.

Oregonram

OregonRam
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No expert here for sure, but it seemed TGIII was a runner who needed carries to get the rhythm of a game. In 2019 McVay was reluctant to give him those touches for whatever reason. RBC requires backs who can thrive with limited touches, not all can.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik

Ditto. We should try to use both Henderson and Akers, maybe leaning toward the hot hand in some games, but dividing carries to preserve them. Both of them bring something to the table, let's use them accordingly.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Let the best man carry the ball at any given time. Sometimes the best man will be the backup and sometimes it will be the #1. Play to win the game not the 2024 season. You can save a player’s legs for later that same year but not for future seasons. Too much uncertainty

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
No expert here for sure, but it seemed TGIII was a runner who needed carries to get the rhythm of a game.

I have felt that way about runners in the past... but I never really saw Todd as one of "those types".

I'd also argue rhythm in the run game comes more from play calling and simply wearing the opponent down... more than the actual RB getting stronger from carries. But, maybe that's what most people mean when they say give the RB carries to get in a rhythm.

PARAM

Hall of Fame

I think the RBC can work but if you have that 'stud', that also works. The difference being if that 'stud" is injured, your run game is gone. If you use 3 RBs and 1 is injured (Seattle), it can still work. Look at the top 5 rushing teams in the NFL. Baltimore, SF, Tennessee, Seattle and Dallas. Tennessee and Dallas have "that stud RB". SF and Seattle use the RBC approach. Baltimore is only there because of their running QB. Another "plus" of RBC is you're not going to owe a stud, stud money. I hope the Rams employ all 3 guys, not necessarily equally but enough reps to keep them involved. The RBC approach, besides presenting issues for defending them, also keeps 3 guys fresh throughout the game.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
That was Isaac Bruuuce’s thing early,but did well late.Yes different position.
And a much less brutal position...

SAK11

Rookie
Tough as a Rams fan to not want that true stud RB. I think Akers will be leaned on fairly heavily, so long as he can take it. I feel like we thought post Steven Jackson would be by committee, then Stacey took over. Then we drafted Mason and thought both backs would split touches, but Mason took over. Then we drafted Gurley and figured Mason would still get his touches, but Gurley was a true workhorse. Then last year we drafted Henderson to compliment Gurley, but he hardly saw the field. Had Henderson shown more, maybe I'd be more inclined to believe a committee approach was the way we were going, but he never passed Brown on the depth chart, and Brown to me is just okay. We'll see, though, can't write a player off after just 1 year.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Adrian Peterson had all sorts of injuries in college, but still was a work horse, and Frank Gore tore his ACL TWICE in college and is still playing in his early 40's
Outlier examples, don't you think?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Outlier examples, don't you think?
Not at all. I think if anything, Gurley is the outlier.
(Jaylon Smith is another good example, though different position)
Gurley proved the draft pick wasnt risky, then was living up to his new contract. What happened next? I cant recall anything like it. I cant think of one example to compare to, of course mostly because we dont know what actually happened.
That makes his situation the outlier

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
you tell me what first round rookies get extensions after 3 years ?
That's a trick question, because a first round rookie cant sign an extension, and after 3 seasons they arent a rookie any more....

Todd Gurley was a Ram only 5 seasons. The Rams did not have to do a Damn thing.
That's a different argument all together though. But that has nothing to do with what position they play or injury history.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Start saving your $$$ & get your Super Bowl LV tickets for February 7, 2021, Raymond James Stadium, Tampa, Florida to see the Rams return to win it all! Bring sunblock!

dang

Legend
Well look at his college career. I was not a fan of Todd Gurley being the number 10 pick overall.
KC in 2020 had the last pick & drafted the first RB overall.
KCs strategy: Offense: Score every time your offense gets the ball. Defense: stop your opponent on one possession. Result: you will win every game.