POLL- Does Clowney get fined for the hit on Wentz?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Does Clowney get fined for the hit on Wentz?

• Yes

Votes: 52 65.0%
  • No

Votes: 24 30.0%
  • I'd hit that.

Votes: 4 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Here’s yet another clip of Clowney with a dirty shot on an Eagles QB. No wonder Philly fans hate the guy.

Clowney was fined a whopping 40k for this hit. If you watch closely at the end of the video, you can see Clowney deliberately lowering his head and then launching forward with his helmet, deliberate spearing.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3Q1EaABsiUQ

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
Wentz was on his way to the ground and Clowney sees that, this wasn’t an attempted tackle, he was only trying to hit him. Which is fine except spearing and hitting guys on the ground isn’t allowed the way it used to be. A 260 pound man launching onto you when you’re on the ground is going to cause injury and despite what Clark says the league is trying to eliminate it. Add to that he was leading with his head, if he keeps his head up extends his arms and grabs Wentz then Wentz probably stays in the game. Offensive and defensive players are still using the helmet as a weapon and this one seems like a sure fine.

I really agree...I don't see how it's OK to hit a guy leading with your helmet when he is already on the ground...(QB or not)...

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
I’m puzzled too, flv, I can barely imagine how ppl can NOT think this was a dirty hit.

Clowney has a history of cheap shots against QB’s . He’s an elite athlete with unbelievable body control, and to me it looked like Clowney knew exactly what he was doing.

Had Wentz given himself up? No. Was he on the ground? No. But Wentz was clearly “on the way down” (about 90% of the way down) and Clowney was just trying to inflict more punishment on the way. Problem is, Clowney launcher himself head first directly at the back of Wentz’s helmet and scored a direct hit.

At worst, it was direct intentional spearing to the head. At best, it was reckless and deserving of a fine. IMHO.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FyY3NfwOqJU

Here’s a second angle, which IMHO is even more damning. Really looks to me like Clowney is deliberately aiming for a helmet to helmet hit, which is exactly what happened.

View: https://mobile.twitter.com/247kevinboilard/status/1213947168970694661

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Play all the videos you want, I’ve seen them all and watched it on tv when it happened. I just don’t see anything vicious or dirty. If he hit Goff like that I’d be pushed at Jared for being an idiot and not sliding feet first.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Play all the videos you want, I’ve seen them all and watched it on tv when it happened. I just don’t see anything vicious or dirty. If he hit Goff like that I’d be pushed at Jared for being an idiot and not sliding feet first.

So it's Wentz's fault that Clowney launched and aimed his helmet at the back of Wentz's head?

It's a dirty shot. It's against the rules. It's a penalty.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So it's Wentz's fault that Clowney launched and aimed his helmet at the back of Wentz's head?

It's a dirty shot. It's against the rules. It's a penalty.
Yes I’m well aware of all your feelings on this and many other football plays thank you very much. Also thank you for twisting what I said, class act.

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I was surprised Wentz went out, it didn't appear he gets it that hard. It was helmet to helmet, but they were both going the same direction and Wentz's head barely jerks after contact.

EastRam

Pro Bowler
The last that I’ve read is that Football is a full contact sport.

Growing tired of trying to “protect” the QB.

Clowney knows the rules. He tackled a runner and there would be no conversation if it was a RB.

Wentz knows the rules. Slide your ass if you don’t want to get hit.

So try this.
Was is a dirty hit on a RB?

Ramit

ROD GRUNT
It looks like to me that Clowney was head hunting. Actually watch it. Clowney actually changes the angle of his head to follow Wentz's. Head hunting and criminal in my book. He's just another seahawks thug. I hate the fucking seahawks.

Ramit

ROD GRUNT
It has nothing to do with wentz not sliding. It has to do with Clowney deliberately targeting the back of his head. Say what you want and be stubborn, that's ok. But clowney was trying to hurt him, which in my book makes him a POS human being. Did you know that concussions can literally disable people for life? I'm sure you did just like clowney does. POS

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It has nothing to do with wentz not sliding. It has to do with Clowney deliberately targeting the back of his head. Say what you want and be stubborn, that's ok. But clowney was trying to hurt him, which in my book makes him a POS human being. Did you know that concussions can literally disable people for life? I'm sure you did just like clowney does. POS
You see what you want to see and I don't see that sorry. Wentz is a runningback at that point when he's out of the pocket and not sliding feet first.

Ramit

ROD GRUNT
You see what you want to see and I don't see that sorry. Wentz is a runningback at that point when he's out of the pocket and not sliding feet first.
It doesnt matter if Wentz is a bull in a China shop running the ball. The best running back ever. 6'2" and 265 lbs with a 4.2 40. It's still messed up to aim at the back of his head. Even in combat sports like MMA, blows to the back of the head are illegal because it can kill people. It's not hard to kill someone that way.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It doesnt matter if Wentz is a bull in a China shop running the ball. The best running back ever. 6'2" and 265 lbs with a 4.2 40. It's still messed up to aim at the back of his head. Even in combat sports like MMA, blows to the back of the head are illegal because it can kill people. It's not hard to kill someone that way.

I seem to be repeating this a lot but you see what you want to see. As I said earlier and it was totally flipped as I knew that poster would do. But if this was Goff being hit I'd be pissed at him. The QB should be smart enough and a team player enough to know that if he slides feet first there's no if's and or buts about it this draws a flag. But he wasn't smart enough to be a team player and got himself hurt yet again. There is nothing wrong with what Clowney did but in todays NFL he'll get fined.

Ramit

ROD GRUNT
I seem to be repeating this a lot but you see what you want to see. As I said earlier and it was totally flipped as I knew that poster would do. But if this was Goff being hit I'd be pissed at him. The QB should be smart enough and a team player enough to know that if he slides feet first there's no if's and or buts about it this draws a flag. But he wasn't smart enough to be a team player and got himself hurt yet again. There is nothing wrong with what Clowney did but in todays NFL he'll get fined.
The game of football is not in a vacuum, man. You make it sound like its wentzs fault that clowney targeted his head. That is faulty logic. Do I disagree with the fact that it was a dumb decision on wentzs part? No! In fact, I agree with you there. But it does not excuse or mitigate the moral turpitude of clowney. I could give some extreme examples of that faulty logic from the real world to emphasize how unsound it is, but I dont think it is necessary. No vacuum, Oldschool. Wrong is wrong.

Debacled

Starter
At no point did Clowney go for a "tackle" there and thats what makes it as dirty as it is. He did nothing but drop his head and lead with the top of his helmet into anything he could hit on Wentz which happened to be the back of his head. Leading with the helmet, especially the crown like that has been an emphasis for years. He knew exactly what he was doing.

Dirty through and through. Dirty on a WR. Dirty on a RB. Dirty on anyone.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
I seem to be repeating this a lot but you see what you want to see...if this was Goff being hit I'd be pissed at him. The QB should be smart enough and a team player enough to know that if he slides feet first there's no if's and or buts about it this draws a flag. But he wasn't smart enough to be a team player and got himself hurt yet again...
Agreed that this was a stupid decision on Wentz’s part, and thankful that Goff doesn’t put himself in harm’s way consistently like Goff does. Max relayed an interesting scouting story from Vinny... Vinny said the Rams were concerned that Wentz was a “run into the wall to catch a fly ball” type player, and they were worried they couldn’t coach that out of him.

As for “seeing what u want to see”, I’d agree with that also. Those who see Clowney just being aggressive on a normal running play don’t see a foul. Others (like me) see malicious intent. That Clowney hit is kind of a Rorsach test.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
The last that I’ve read is that Football is a full contact sport.

Growing tired of trying to “protect” the QB.

Clowney knows the rules. He tackled a runner and there would be no conversation if it was a RB.

Wentz knows the rules. Slide your ass if you don’t want to get hit.

So try this.
Was is a dirty hit on a RB?

Well, with all due respect, the NFL has been crystal clear on their priorities, so be tired all you want, but the league has been clear for many years now.

Clowney has a history of specifically leading with the crown of the helmet. And yes, it would be a dirty hit on any ball carrier as he led with the helmet to the back of the opponent's helmet. You can't even legally hit the back of the head in MMA. That should speak to the level of danger.

On this play, he specifically dips his helmet to initiate contact. That 100% goes against the "Heads up, Wrap up" method of tackling the NFL is promoting and what they teach in Seattle where Pete Carroll has been on the vanguard. His previous fines ought to have been lesson enough. I'd be okay with a suspension because losing money hasn't been lesson enough.

And let's be clear.

Nearly 100% of the growth of the NFL fan base since 2000 has been from women. The male demographic has remained flat. That matters.

Many of the women, many mothers have a different perspective that the NFL WILL take into account...

Moms were holding back kids from youth football in record numbers. That's the beginning of a massive talent drain which the NFL has fought very hard to stem. Women weren't gonna stay fans and support domestic abusers. And we're seeing the NFL respond to that. Many fans, men and women aren't going to support dirty play. Twenty years ago, the hit woulda been on a highlight reel. Now, it's a big fine, possible suspension and depending on the extent, possible rule change.

So, while YOU and some others might be fine with the NFL of the 90s with Jacked Up and guys getting nearly decapitated to a soundtrack, the NFL and many fans, both men and women, want to focus on the sport, as inherently violent as it is, without the debilitation.

That's how it's gonna be going forward and none of us is gonna have a say about it beyond deciding to tune in or not.

As for me, I'm fine with it. It was more tiresome to realize that often the winner of the Super Bowl was the healthiest team as opposed to the most talented because the season was a capricious meat grinder and health was a function of luck or fate as opposed to skill, scheme or execution.

I'm sorry to be so contrary, but honestly, I'm tired of the "I'm tired" takes. I get tired, too, but at the end of the day, we have two choices...tune in or not.

Sure, vent if you like, as long as you and all of us understand that it's NEVER going back to what it was and if anything, MORE protections will be put in place.

Thanks for coming to my TED talk.
200.webp