POLL- Does Clowney get fined for the hit on Wentz?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Does Clowney get fined for the hit on Wentz?

• Yes

Votes: 52 65.0%
  • No

Votes: 24 30.0%
  • I'd hit that.

Votes: 4 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

coconut

Pro Bowler
Name
coconut
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
No such rule especially when reality doesnt support this having happened.
Of course there isn't a rule. It was a joke. Besides the hit was to the helmet first unless you consider a slight grazing of Wentz's jersey with a shoulder as meaningful contact?

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
The last that I’ve read is that Football is a full contact sport.

Growing tired of trying to “protect” the QB.

Clowney knows the rules. He tackled a runner and there would be no conversation if it was a RB.

Wentz knows the rules. Slide your ass if you don’t want to get hit.

So try this.
Was is a dirty hit on a RB?

There is nothing wrong with what Clowney did but in todays NFL he'll get fined.

In my opinion the tackle by Clowney on the then RB Wentz was not outside of the current NFL rules.

Helmet to helmet has been a no-no for years. It's "outside of the current NFL rules" which is why flags get thrown and fines get levied. Not just for hitting QB's. It happens to WR's and RB's too.

Wentz was stupid for not sliding, that's his playing style and it's going to shorten his career and cause him to miss games. But Clowney broke the rules.

Chop blocks, horse collar tackles, whacking defenseless receivers and plenty of other rules have been put in place and every player and coach knows what they can't do.

I am always glad to see a rule that protects a player from injury unless it's senseless. The problem I have with the NFL is they wait often wait until players get hurt. A good example of that is the horse collar tackle. A few players had knee injuries from that, they acted too late.

Does the NFL go too far in some cases.......well yes and I think we all agree on that. But overall most of the rules changes have been smart and pretty easy for players to comply with.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame

Here ya go, flv.

A writer in Philly called this play “the first Yanni/Laurel debate of 2020.”

7EDBF3C4-5BAA-4F75-A845-27A02DA7D539.jpeg

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I have eaten my wheaties playing sports, riding motorcycle and sometimes just plain walking.
It is not natural to fall or dive forward without your arms in front of you. In fact, your 1st instinct when falling forward is to protect your face and head by getting your arms out. Helmet or no helmet.
You guys should try it!

This was intentional.
Clownie had to intentionally pull his arms down on the play.

He will be fined.

Not that I give AF about either player

EastRam

Pro Bowler
Helmet to helmet has been a no-no for years. It's "outside of the current NFL rules" which is why flags get thrown and fines get levied. Not just for hitting QB's. It happens to WR's and RB's too.

Wentz was stupid for not sliding, that's his playing style and it's going to shorten his career and cause him to miss games. But Clowney broke the rules.

Chop blocks, horse collar tackles, whacking defenseless receivers and plenty of other rules have been put in place and every player and coach knows what they can't do.

I am always glad to see a rule that protects a player from injury unless it's senseless. The problem I have with the NFL is they wait often wait until players get hurt. A good example of that is the horse collar tackle. A few players had knee injuries from that, they acted too late.

Does the NFL go too far in some cases.......well yes and I think we all agree on that. But overall most of the rules changes have been smart and pretty easy for players to comply with.

Vicious helmet to helmet hits are just plain wrong.

I get what they are trying to do.

But there are plenty of helmet to helmet hits that are not called while a RB is being tackled.

In this case Wentz was a running back. It was a continuous action tackle.

Just don’t agree that the hit was against the rules

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Vicious helmet to helmet hits are just plain wrong.

I get what they are trying to do.

But there are plenty of helmet to helmet hits that are not called while a RB is being tackled.

In this case Wentz was a running back. It was a continuous action tackle.

Just don’t agree that the hit was against the rules

It was.

LOL I luff you regardless..........I was thinking about all the years posting together and your "final day" post and it reminded me there are things more important.

Even when you are gnorw.

EastRam

Pro Bowler
It was.

LOL I luff you regardless..........I was thinking about all the years posting together and your "final day" post and it reminded me there are things more important.

Even when you are gnorw.

It’s more important that the Rams don’t fuck up the unis then Clowney getting fined.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack

Those instructions would be great...if I had a Win10 comp... I am MACkeyser after all...

I am incredulous when folks say that they don't see him lowering his head and specifically driving his shoulder into Wentz, but I just have to take it on faith that folks see it differently.

To me, it couldn't be more clear, so I guess I'll just leave it at that.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Here ya go, flv.

A writer in Philly called this play “the first Yanni/Laurel debate of 2020.”

View attachment 33225

Had he kept his face up like you'd see a few frames sooner, it wouldn't have been an issue as Clowney would have hit Wentz with his facemask.

And I think the Philly writer has it right. This seems to be the dress all over again.

rams1fan

Pro Bowler
Ten years ago this would be a nonevent. First it would not even register as a big hit. Second the QB would not have missed any time due to concussion protocol. So all of you calling for Clowney's scalp where were you back then?

The biggest joke of the whole concussion "protocol" is that it is okay for an RB to lead with the helmet. Why?

coconut

Pro Bowler
Name
coconut
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ten years ago this would be a nonevent. First it would not even register as a big hit. Second the QB would not have missed any time due to concussion protocol. So all of you calling for Clowney's scalp where were you back then?

The biggest joke of the whole concussion "protocol" is that it is okay for an RB to lead with the helmet. Why?
Fair point. Quixotic position of the NFL can't be denied.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I wonder how many of hall's opinions would swing if clowney hit OUR QB like that. Not sure how anyone can say that wasn't helmet on helmet and intentional.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

Actually it is against the rules for a runner to lead with his helmet.

Another rule change that the NFL took too long to implement.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I thought it was a cheap shot on a guy that was already going to the ground and he used the helmet to initiate the contact.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I was surprised Wentz went out, it didn't appear he gets it that hard. It was helmet to helmet, but they were both going the same direction and Wentz's head barely jerks after contact.
Back of the head is much more susceptible to injury.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Well...

In the spirit of the folks who said, “he’ll get a fine but he doesn’t deserve it”... now I’ll say, “he didn’t get a fine but he sure as hell deserved one.”

NFL got this one wrong IMHO.

Their own former VP of officiating called it a “cheap shot.”

To me, this reeks of the NFL saying, “move along folks, nothing to see here.”

IMHO Clowney was head hunting, but apparently there was *just* enough ambiguity that he got away with it.