Poll: Do you think the fix was in vs. the 49ers?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Do you think the fix was in vs. the 49ers?

• Total voters

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Can't vote , or won't ,if there was a I'm suspicious option I'd vote for that, evidence points in every direction IMO.

jjab360

Legend
I don't think it was fixed, but there was definitely a bias.

We need to be able to challenge penalties asap, it's the only thing that can guarantee an actual fair NFL. It just makes no sense that almost everything else is subject to a video review, but penalties that are made based on the opinion of a ref sometimes a good distance away from the play looking at high speed action can't be.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
A billion dollar organization is going to have refs fix games and jeopardize more billions of dollars so the niners can beat the Rams. The NFL has made there money on parody.

The Cook call was brutal and changed the game IMO. The refs have been brutal and we seem to come on the short end too often. But fixed? That's getting a little carried away. The Rams losing is just not that important.
I'm not saying there's a fix per se, but when EVERY SINGLE BAD CALL goes against the Rams, it really makes me wonder

Rambition

Rookie
sorry, i've never fallen for conspiracy theories, and won't start now. oliver stone, you've a lot to answer for, you slippery bastard.

Philly5

Rookie
I don't think it was a fix, but the 49ers would have been in deep trouble if we picked up another score before halftime. Therefore they were looking for something (anything) on that Cook play. Rams punted and were down before touching the ball again. Oh well, those late season 49er/Seahawks games will be good for TV.

Philly5

Rookie
Not to mention the advertising for TV (where the real money is.....and NFL Ticket) is already sold and set. The last thing the league would consider at this point in terms of revenue is ticket sales....other than half empty stadiums look bad on tv. Its not like the NFL marketing department is out selling commercial spots for the second half of games during the first half.

All about the future deals and ratings.

I also wonder if a half empty Ed keeps some stadium options on the table

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
It was completely the refs fault we gave up three TDs through the air, especially when we got burned on a double move for aTD, twice.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
How many time do we have to have our pockets picked before we figure out what is going on?

fearsomefour

Legend
All about the future deals and ratings.

I also wonder if a half empty Ed keeps some stadium options on the table
The stadium was not half empty until the Rams crapped the bed.
At any rate, no offense, this train of thought seems delusional to me. The tv deals are signed years in advance. To think the league is fixing a game now to set up possible ratings or whatever in say, 2020 is absurd.
If the league is worried about rating it would fix the lame penalty issue Goodell has caused.
In terms of a commish or a small group of owners having too much power and having some sway on things, that could happen I guess. A league like the NFL with billions in revenue and very few people involved in the decision making is more susceptible to something like this....but, big picture, I just dont see the logic.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I have been attempting to bring a sense of reality to the conversation, usually failingly so.
Does anyone really believe if a ref was in on a fix he would so stupid as to smile about it on tv? I mean, we are one step away from the refs growing handle bar mustaches just so they can do that weird "evil doer" mustache twist thing.

10004009_680293872009785_2110504099_n.jpg

beej

Rookie
I'm not a conspiracy theorist. I've pretty much shunned all talk of fixing games. Until I heard about them trying to force artists to pay to play the super bowl.

That's when I realized this league will literally do anything to make an additional dollar. If it means keeping the score tight to keep people watching then so be it.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
Personally I think refs should be able to be suspended and fined for blatant bad calls

Fined yes, suspended would be tough just because I think they are already at low numbers in the number of eligible refs. If you suspend a ref and have to add a rookie ref, or one who is less experienced it would only add to the problem. Someone said it earlier there are too many rules the can be interpreted 99 different ways. Change the rules so subjectivity is taken out by the refs. Or allow coaches to challenge a maximum of 5 plays where a "major" penalty should have or should not have been called. These would be in addition to the challenges they already have. Sure it will slow the game down, but it's better to get it right rather than see this continued crap. It will also force officials to focus a bit harder on the game.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Fined yes, suspended would be tough just because I think they are already at low numbers in the number of eligible refs. If you suspend a ref and have to add a rookie ref, or one who is less experienced it would only add to the problem. Someone said it earlier there are too many rules the can be interpreted 99 different ways. Change the rules so subjectivity is taken out by the refs. Or allow coaches to challenge a maximum of 5 plays where a "major" penalty should have or should not have been called. These would be in addition to the challenges they already have. Sure it will slow the game down, but it's better to get it right rather than see this continued crap. It will also force officials to focus a bit harder on the game.

You can blame the refs union for this sorry ass state of officiating. This is on them

The NFL wanted to have the union bring in more guys and have a "bench" and have more accountability. Including the ability to have refs graded then sat on the bench and another guy "called up" to take his place. It would have been a decent solution, and the NFL was pushing for it but the knuckleheads in the media were constantly harping about the replacement refs (who by the way graded out about the same as the regular guys) which forced a speedy resolution to the lockout.

So you guys know the reason the officials suck IS NOT the NFL or Goodell its the refs union. They didn't want more accountability and they didn't want to have their members get demoted for poor performances. They also do not want full time refs which would make a big difference in the quality of the officiating.

The Referees Association is to blame for the mess for the most part. People can rail on the NFL or Goodell but that's like blaming an outfielder for bad pitching. It's wrongheaded.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
So you guys know the reason the officials suck IS NOT the NFL or Goodell its the refs union.

I agree with most of your post, except for this part. Goodell and the NFL has watered down the game so that an incidental swipe on a QB's shoulder pad can now be interpreted as roughing the passer, and they've made all kinds of rules to favor the offense at the expense of the defense. The latter is a trend that goes back to the 1978 rule changes, and I while I agree with some of those, I think in recent years (and especially in Goodell's tenure), the pendulum has swung way too far.

The other thing they are doing, in the name of safety, is trying to use the rulebook to take all of the physical risks of playing the game out of it, and that is further reducing the quality of the product on the field across all 32 teams. The concern about player's health post-career is legitimate, but at the same time you have to simply accept that there are occupational hazards that can't be eliminated by changes in the rulebook. They have gone too far in trying to do so.

Before players enter the league, they should have everything spelled out for them. Here are the health risks of a career in the NFL ... brain damage from high speed collisions, limbs not functioning properly, etc., etc., ... do you still want to play?

I find it ridiculous the way they have watered down football with this stuff, it would be like changing boxing so that you are not allowed to punch a guy in the head.

I once heard some state about society in general (but this applies to football now) is that it would be nice if we could find a happy medium between Sparta and Oprah. Right now the NFL is moving much more into the Oprah direction.

You take all that, which is the NFL's/Goodell's doing, and combine it with the ref's union you discussed, throw in all the subjective rules that are hard to interpret and easily twisted, and you've got a recipe for a sh!tty product and one that is open to malfeasance to boot.

Philly5

Rookie
The stadium was not half empty until the Rams crapped the bed.
At any rate, no offense, this train of thought seems delusional to me. The tv deals are signed years in advance. To think the league is fixing a game now to set up possible ratings or whatever in say, 2020 is absurd.
If the league is worried about rating it would fix the lame penalty issue Goodell has caused.
In terms of a commish or a small group of owners having too much power and having some sway on things, that could happen I guess. A league like the NFL with billions in revenue and very few people involved in the decision making is more susceptible to something like this....but, big picture, I just dont see the logic.

First you say it is "delusional" then you conclude that given the league structure it is possible?

In my opinion the NFL has favorite franchises/owners and is all about making money. I guarantee they are already working on future TV deals.

Btw...I did not suggest the Ed was half empty, but that it could get there if the Rams are 2-9.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
1328 I think you are mixing up shitty calls with intent of the rules. The swipe on the shoulder example a few weeks ago shouldn't have been called because it isn't against any rule. That isn't the NFL "changing the game", that's a ref making a bad call and if the union was doing what the NFL wanted that guy would get a lower grade and with enough of those kind of calls he would be "benched".

Most of the time when I see and hear people complaining about how the game is being ruined it is directly related to a shitty call in a game. Not a rule, a bad call.