Playoff GDT: Seaholes @ Vikings

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jap

Legend

No way the Rams would ever be that lucky.

We won't need any damn luck. We got the Gurley Express! and a maturing front line. The front office better get us a QB or two and some receivers. It's Super Bowl or bust next season!!!

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah no kiddin.

One note here is that it adversely affects the Rams' strategy. With the way his longer range accuracy has diminished over time if you are Fish and the offense is driving, you are not thinking FG with any confidence until you get sub-40 yards. THAT is an immense disadvantage for a team in the NFL.

Fisher is thinking fg from 50+ yards every game. He played for them all season long, like they're automatic or something.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Actually nice hold Locke

Walsh is one of the top money kickers in the league...My question is how can a holder freak up 3 times in the same game...Walsh is so good he saved him twice, couldn't do it the 3rd time...
People keep mentioning this but Walsh prefers the laces because it forces him to kick more underneath the ball. He just straight up missed it.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I am so glad Zimmer had an early exit and that it borderline that. Fuck Zimmer.

I doubt this 9-7 Seahawks can beat the Cardinals and Panthers on the road.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
People keep mentioning this but Walsh prefers the laces because it forces him to kick more underneath the ball. He just straight up missed it.

I can't say you're wrong, but I've never heard of a kicker who wanted the laces in...In fact the holder said he should have had them out...Doesn't really matter at this point...

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They really are with everything that's happened over the last 3 years or so.The Superbowl throw by Russell is probably the only unlucky break they have had.

yes but the cheat's luck supersedes the seagull's luck. who imagined they would call that play and then the qb would throw the ball off target by a yard from 5 yards away. you can't get that lucky.

whereas the rams luck is the polar opposite.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Did anyone ask Bennett if Avril was worried about Bridgewater tearing his acl when he pushed him in the back after the ball was away?

Rams Until I Die

Pro Bowler
Name
John

Did anyone ask Bennett if Avril was worried about Bridgewater tearing his acl when he pushed him in the back after the ball was away?

I really want a picture if this... Hawks fans were so quick to point out how they thought Hekker's hit was dirty. Then they act like their team is a bunch of saints.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/01/18/blair-walsh-miss-minnesota-vikings-nfl-playoffs

Blair Walsh: ‘It is Not Going to Ruin My Life’
His name might be synonymous with the 27-yard miss that booted the Vikings from the NFL playoffs, but the kicker is refusing to let it define his career. The perspective gained from a first-grade class is helping, too
By Peter King

mmqb-walsh-blair-missed-fg.jpg

Jamie Squire/Getty Images

Maybe, I thought, Blair Walsh’s playoff-altering 27-yard field goal miss nine days ago was because Richard Sherman was so close to blocking an earlier field goal and Walsh had to alter his delivery to be sure Sherman didn’t get this one.

“No,” said Walsh. “That’s not what I was thinking about.”

Or maybe it had something to do with the wind or the weather or the laces not being rotated correctly by holder Jeff Locke.

“No,” said Walsh.

With time to watch the biggest chip shot of his career, and to think about his form and his approach to the missed field goal that put Seattle instead of Minnesota in the final eight, there is nothing deep nor dark about what happened on this kick, Walsh told The MMQB.

“What happened was, I rushed it, and I didn’t have to,” Walsh said. “I didn’t power through. It is inexplainable. The whole thing … I rushed the process, and you never should do that on a kick. I watched it one time—on the tablet we get from the team. I watched it, and I saw what I did wrong. I rushed it.

“The hardest thing is knowing I let my team down. I get emotional when I think of that. That’s my job, and I didn’t do it. When we all came in on Monday, the day after the game, and I have to look at them, that’s the toughest thing.”

But there is one thing Walsh is quite sure of. He is not sure he can watch football right now, because when he does he thinks of the fact that his miss put the Vikings out of the games we’re watching now, and that quasi-torments him. While Walsh hurts for the fans who love the Vikings and were gutted by losing that game, he does feel strongly that the miss will not mar his career to the point that he’ll have to do something else.

“A missed field goal is not going to define who I am—and it is not going to ruin my life,” he said matter-of-factly.

A lot more matter-of-factly than most 26-year-olds could say about being in a very public profession, and knowing that whenever fans of the sport think of his name, they’ll think of this shanked kick.

What helped Walsh is facing up to the deed immediately. In fact, when he came off the frigid field in Minnesota that afternoon, he stood at his locker and said he was ready to face the music immediately. He credits his college coach, Mark Richt, for making every player in the Georgia program accountable. “Coach Richt told us, ‘If you want everyone there to celebrate when you do something great, you have to be there, accountable, when you fail.’”

So he stood there for 10 or 12 minutes, answering waves of reporters with the same question. How? How did you miss a kick that, up until that point in 2015, had been converted 189 of 191 times from 27 yards and closer? Then he cried, and no teammate could console him.

The next day, what meant something was special teams coach Mike Priefer telling him how great a kicker he was, and how the Vikings were proud that he was their kicker. Some evidence: In his four seasons kicking for the Vikings, Walsh has the 10th-best field goal percentage—85.2 percent—in the history of the league.

“I love the NFL,” said Walsh. “I love my job. I respect the game so much, because I know what it means to so many people. So I do not take this lightly. But whatever everyone has said to me—fans, my coaches, my teammates, kickers from other teams, the people in the community—honestly has restored my faith in humanity.”

That was underlined when a school in Minneapolis, Northpoint Elementary School, organized its four first-grade classes and sent to the Vikings 80 notes/drawings of support for Walsh. He was so overwhelmed that he visited the school and the teacher who arranged it all, Julie Offerdahl, to express his thanks. “I’ll keep every note,” Walsh said.

“That was incredibly special. I’m so fortunate to be a part of this community. It shows you that life is about more than the outcome of a football game. People who don’t know, who’ve never met you, can be incredibly compassionate when something bad happens to you.”

Now Walsh has to be sure this one kick doesn’t ruin the next 10 years of them.

“I believe I’m one of the best in the NFL,” he said, “and this will drive me to be more successful. I will not dwell on this. I can’t.”