Plaschke/LA Times - Unless the Rams suddenly get good, their coach is probably getting fired

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
Judging from the biblical proportions of wailing and teeth-gnashing by Rams fans this week, one might think Jeff Fisher is actually going to coach their team beyond this season.

Chill out, everyone. He’s probably not. Unless the Rams undergo a sudden transformation in their final four games, it would be stunning to see Fisher endure beyond the first week of January.

What about news that leaked this weekend about that signed contract extension? How about the confirmation from both the team and coach that he had signed a deal that would keep him in Los Angeles for as many as two more years?

Ignore it, everyone. It means nothing. If the Rams don’t finish impossibly strong, the deal is structured as basically a one-year parting gift in appreciation for the hassles Fisher has handled for the last two tumultuous seasons.

San Francisco 49ers, and folks in the front office immediately applied the brakes.

They were struck by how quickly their welcome had evaporated. They saw how the Los Angeles sports fan would not celebrate a Rams homecoming if it didn’t include winning. They understood that maybe an announcement about future employment of a coach who already had become a villain wouldn’t be such a good idea at the time.

So they waited to officially announce the deal, and waited, and waited ... and, then, finally, it appears somebody got tired of waiting.

That somebody was Fisher, who already openly was fighting against criticism by foolishly denying legend Eric Dickerson sideline privileges because Dickerson had been publicly ripping him. It is pretty clear Dickerson wants Fisher fired, and will do anything to get Fisher fired, a fact that was confirmed when Dickerson went public with their spat and claimed he would never attend a game as long as Fisher is the coach.

Backed into a corner by last week’s news, it is logical to conclude that Fisher came out swinging again Sunday morning by contributing to the breaking news of his job security. It’s interesting how that item surfaced before their most difficult challenge of the season, just in time to distract from another bad loss.

No, the Rams had no idea the extension would be made public. In fact, Demoff wasn’t even with the team in New England at the time, as he remained in Los Angeles on a personal matter.

Then once the news broke, given the chance to issue a press release and hold a celebratory news conference back in Los Angeles this week, the Rams politely declined.

Relax, everyone. It’s understandable for Rams fans to expect the worst, because that is exactly what the team has given them on the field, but the front office has done a good job connecting with folks in the community, and it appears they hear you. It seems like they realize that in this town, at this precarious time, they cannot possibly become the first team in NFL history to bring back a coach after five consecutive losing seasons.

The Rams can’t be that oblivious. WhileKroenke doesn’t live here full time, Demoff grew up here and resides here, and daily hears from all corners of the neighborhood.

The Rams can’t be that dumb. During this build-up toward the move into their expensive new Inglewood stadium in 2019, they need to build buzz, not alienate fans.

And, no, the Rams’ front office can’t be that conspiratorial. All this talk about Fisher being retained only because his agent is Demoff’s father Marvin? The optics might be bad, but agents represent competing interests all the time. To think that either Demoff would risk their strong reputations in this town to retain a guy who is two defeats from becoming the losingest coach in NFL history stretches the limits of credulity.

Sure, it would be much easier for everyone in the organization if Fisher could have survived a couple more years before a new and exciting presence could be hired to lead them into the new digs. And by giving Fisher the entire season to save his job, the Rams are giving him every chance.

But with games remaining against the playoff-bound Atlanta Falcons and the unbeaten-at-home Seattle Seahawks, plus home games against division foes San Francisco and Arizona, the Rams will be lucky to go 2-2. And that would make them 6-10.

And, extension or not, that should ultimately and properly get Jeff Fisher fired.
In the future please include a link. It's a courtesy we do for authors. Thanks. - PT

http://www.latimes.com/sports/rams/la-sp-rams-fisher-plaschke-20161206-story.html

Last edited by a moderator:

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
Hasn't the same thing been said for the past 2 or 3 years ??? I'll believe it when it actually happens, not when some writer says it will...

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
Ignore it, everyone. It means nothing. If the Rams don’t finish impossibly strong, the deal is structured as basically a one-year parting gift in appreciation for the hassles Fisher has handled for the last two tumultuous seasons.

This is where I think it's going......IMO

I'm going to enjoy Goff, the defense and see if they can get Gurley more carries.

I think TG is close to breaking one....

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
Hasn't the same thing been said for the past 2 or 3 years ??? I'll believe it when it actually happens, not when some writer says it will...

Difference is, that the move is now behind them.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
IDK.....Kevin and Fish seem kinda tight. Les SOUNDS nervous, but IDK....

It wouldn't surprise me...all the weird pressers...strange benchings...and the overall play (guys look unprepared)...just has the appearance of some type of power struggle mixed in with unorganized athletics...

FRO

Legend
IDK.....Kevin and Fish seem kinda tight. Les SOUNDS nervous, but IDK....

It wouldn't surprise me...all the weird pressers...strange benchings...and the overall play (guys look unprepared)...just has the appearance of some type of power struggle mixed in with unorganized athletics...
The whole not knowing Snead was extended was odd.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Kroenke's a businessman FIRST. Unless the Rams win out and Goff plays great, Fisher is gone IMO. I think this article is spot-on.

FRO

Legend
Kroenke's a businessman FIRST. Unless the Rams win out and Goff plays great, Fisher is gone IMO. I think this article is spot-on.
How many great businessmen extend someone's contract only to have to buy them out before they even start on that extended contract. Kroenke is a delegater. He has delegated responsibilities to Demoff. This is Demoff's guy.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike

My question would be then: Why hasn't it happened before this ??

tavian

Not me.I am waaaay uglier
Judging from the biblical proportions of wailing and teeth-gnashing by Rams fans this week, one might think Jeff Fisher is actually going to coach their team beyond this season.

Chill out, everyone. He’s probably not. Unless the Rams undergo a sudden transformation in their final four games, it would be stunning to see Fisher endure beyond the first week of January.

What about news that leaked this weekend about that signed contract extension? How about the confirmation from both the team and coach that he had signed a deal that would keep him in Los Angeles for as many as two more years?

San Francisco 49ers, and folks in the front office immediately applied the brakes.

They were struck by how quickly their welcome had evaporated. They saw how the Los Angeles sports fan would not celebrate a Rams homecoming if it didn’t include winning. They understood that maybe an announcement about future employment of a coach who already had become a villain wouldn’t be such a good idea at the time.

So they waited to officially announce the deal, and waited, and waited ... and, then, finally, it appears somebody got tired of waiting.

That somebody was Fisher, who already openly was fighting against criticism by foolishly denying legend Eric Dickerson sideline privileges because Dickerson had been publicly ripping him. It is pretty clear Dickerson wants Fisher fired, and will do anything to get Fisher fired, a fact that was confirmed when Dickerson went public with their spat and claimed he would never attend a game as long as Fisher is the coach.

Backed into a corner by last week’s news, it is logical to conclude that Fisher came out swinging again Sunday morning by contributing to the breaking news of his job security. It’s interesting how that item surfaced before their most difficult challenge of the season, just in time to distract from another bad loss.

No, the Rams had no idea the extension would be made public. In fact, Demoff wasn’t even with the team in New England at the time, as he remained in Los Angeles on a personal matter.

Then once the news broke, given the chance to issue a press release and hold a celebratory news conference back in Los Angeles this week, the Rams politely declined.

Relax, everyone. It’s understandable for Rams fans to expect the worst, because that is exactly what the team has given them on the field, but the front office has done a good job connecting with folks in the community, and it appears they hear you. It seems like they realize that in this town, at this precarious time, they cannot possibly become the first team in NFL history to bring back a coach after five consecutive losing seasons.

The Rams can’t be that oblivious. WhileKroenke doesn’t live here full time, Demoff grew up here and resides here, and daily hears from all corners of the neighborhood.

The Rams can’t be that dumb. During this build-up toward the move into their expensive new Inglewood stadium in 2019, they need to build buzz, not alienate fans.

And, no, the Rams’ front office can’t be that conspiratorial. All this talk about Fisher being retained only because his agent is Demoff’s father Marvin? The optics might be bad, but agents represent competing interests all the time. To think that either Demoff would risk their strong reputations in this town to retain a guy who is two defeats from becoming the losingest coach in NFL history stretches the limits of credulity.

Sure, it would be much easier for everyone in the organization if Fisher could have survived a couple more years before a new and exciting presence could be hired to lead them into the new digs. And by giving Fisher the entire season to save his job, the Rams are giving him every chance.

But with games remaining against the playoff-bound Atlanta Falcons and the unbeaten-at-home Seattle Seahawks, plus home games against division foes San Francisco and Arizona, the Rams will be lucky to go 2-2. And that would make them 6-10.

And, extension or not, that should ultimately and properly get Jeff Fisher fired.

Hope you're right.
If you feel Fisher should not be coaching the Rams next year,
follow the link at the bottom of my post.
Join The Movement for better leadership for our RAMS!!

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
My guess is, unless the Rams end up 8-8 at the end of the season, Fisher will "retire" with a 2-year severance package (contract extension.) There might be some consideration at 7-9, and there would have to be signs the team is moving in the right direction. Anything less and I think he's gone. The natives are very, very restless in LA, and it could turn south quickly if there is no sign this franchise is making the right moves for future success. Add to it, San Diego possibly moving to LA will only make things worse because a potential fan base being split between two teams. If Stan wants this to work he needs all of LA to support the Rams, so the pressure is going to fall squarely on him.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hope you're right.
If you feel Fisher should not be coaching the Rams next year,
follow the link at the bottom of my post.
Join The Movement for better leadership for our RAMS!!
My worst fear is Fisher goes 3-0 against the last 3 division games and give our front office false hope that he can be the guy going forward. It's always been his MO to do great in the division and then struggle and be awful in games outside the division. Don't let the record in the division fool you Demoff and Co.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
My worst fear is Fisher goes 3-0 against the last 3 division games and give our front office false hope that he can be the guy going forward. It's always been his MO to do great in the division and then struggle and be awful in games outside the division. Don't let the record in the division fool you Demoff and Co.

His ace in the deck has already been used. That mentality is unacceptable, you should win everytime not when you feel its convenient.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

Pretty much what I've been saying.

This comes down to how the team finishes. Which will be getting their butts kicked by Atlanta and Seattle, followed by an inevitably ugly game in SF and finishing up vs Arizona. The team I have seen the past several weeks is in no shape or form to finish strong. They might well drop that game vs SF at home, and if so I think that alone can get Fish fired.

It would be better if Stan had simply been wise enough to wait until season's end. Same deal with the Tavon signing. But whatever. There is still time to make the right decision, at least wrt Fisher.

Sportsed

Pro Bowler
Stan hires Fisher and gives him a 5 year contract; going into the final year of a 5 year contract, they extend him 1 guaranteed year? If you believe in an employee after 4 years, you only extend him for 1 more year? If Fisher believed in himself, was a "hot" commodity, why would he only accept a 1 year extension? This was Fisher's "prove it" contract--------Stan will give him his severance pay at the end of this season.