PFF: Top 10 Free Agents 2024 (All Positions)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My EXACT thoughts in addition to resigning Dotson. With these 3 signings it would be still be possible to go after Lavonte David on a short-term deal and Grant Delpit. I know none of these are "splashy signings" but could/should fill our core roster deficiencies.
Yep! We need foundation. Rush the passer, protect the passer. Everything else is cherries on top.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I don't profess to know. But disappointing draft picks who play well in their contract season is a serious red flag to me.
Not discounting your concerns. I guess I look at him differently. New team putting him in his best position leading to his best year.

But, I get your point.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Who can they restructure though?
Stafford (50), Donald, (34) Kupp(30), Noteboom (20), Hav (14) + Higbee (12) are eating up 160 mill of the cap space for next year.
Stafford already has 86 mill in dead cap, how much more do they want to kick down the road?
Donald is in last year of his deal and already has 2 void years
Kupp already restructured once and is already carrying 10+ mill per year in dead cap
Noteboom in last year of his deal and already has 2 void years, cut or trade him "saves" only 5 mill
Havenstein already 2 void years, really cant save much
Higbee just signed extension and pushed 5 mill in to dead cap
They have a lot they can open and, to me, if Stafford’s your QB… you’re going all-in everywhere else.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Then what’s your plan for next year?
Doesn't matter what my plan would be. Plan of Rams' management matters.

They will have some cap space ... about $50M is projected on Spotrac and Over-the-Cap but that's a little
miss-leading because the Rams have less than 40 players under contract for 2024.

They are projected to have very little Dead-$ but that will likely increase with a few moves. For example, I think they may release Brian Allen which would create about $5M of additional cap space, with about $3M of Dead-$ (these are just numbers off the above referenced sites).

The Rams are projected to be around the middle of the NFL in cap space; and that's a ton better than 2023.

They will have much more flexibility than last off-season, and will probably be able to add half-a-dozen free agents, including a couple significant signings should they want to do that. Plus, they should have 8-10 draft choices once the compensatory picks are awarded; and, most importantly, three picks in the top-80.

That's enough to up-grade the roster. THAT would be my hope ... not my plan.

The only point of my post (where I agreed with @dieterbrock) was that the Rams do NOT have many veterans under contract that are good candidates for restructure. I think Dieter named the Rams six most highly compensated players. They are all veterans with void years. Not ideal candidates for restructure.

Looks at the details of their contracts. I think five them have 2024 salaries that are LESS than half their current 2024 cap hit.
The most straight-forward restructure is simply reclassifying salary to bonus that is spread-out (For CAP Purposes). Having relatively low salary components is also not ideal for a restructure.

I am just applying simple math.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
So question. Say the rams finish 8-9 and miss the playoffs. Pick around 14-16 do you think NIx is still available? And would you grab him there if he was available?

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake

They will have some cap space ... about $50M is projected on Spotrac and Over-the-Cap but that's a little
miss-leading because the Rams have less than 40 players under contract for 2024.

They are projected to have very little Dead-$ but that will likely increase with a few moves. For example, I think they may release Brian Allen which would create about $5M of additional cap space, with about $3M of Dead-$ (these are just numbers off the above referenced sites).

The Rams are projected to be around the middle of the NFL in cap space; and that's a ton better than 2023.

They will have much more flexibility than last off-season, and will probably be able to add half-a-dozen free agents, including a couple significant signings should they want to do that. Plus, they should have 8-10 draft choices once the compensatory picks are awarded; and, most importantly, three picks in the top-80.

The only point of my post (where I agreed with @dieterbrock) was that the Rams do NOT have many veterans under contract that are good candidates for restructure. I think Dieter named the Rams six most highly compensated players. They are all veterans with void years. Not ideal candidates for restructure.

Looks at the details of their contracts. I think five them have 2024 salaries that are LESS than half their current 2024 cap hit.
The most straight-forward restructure is simply reclassifying salary to bonus that is spread-out (For CAP Purposes). Having relatively low salary components is also not ideal for a restructure.

I like the idea of dumping Allen and drafting another center or finding one in FA and putting Shelton on the bench, dude would be awesome depth.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped

I think you’re laying out the responsible, long-term methodology.
I don’t think they will be playing a long-term game. As they’ve shown this year.. they’re okay with a reset year.. to get back to where they want to be.
I expect them to restructure all they can, because they need at least one difference-maker brought in on D in FA.
Allen & Noteboom, I believe, will be post June 1st cuts.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I think you’re laying out the responsible, long-term methodology.
I don’t think they will be playing a long-term game. As they’ve shown this year.. they’re okay with a reset year.. to get back to where they want to be.
I expect them to restructure all they can, because they need at least one difference-maker brought in on D in FA.
Allen & Noteboom, I believe, will be post June 1st cuts.
OK ... Maybe

But that could put them right back to where they are now but even a bigger re-set ... a Major Re-Build.

If there are a few "difference-makers" available in free agency (Allen, Burns, maybe Young) I think the Rams can make a marketable (Huge) offer without significant re-structures. Like I had posted, I think they will have enough cap space for that, plus a couple solid free agent additions.

Just don't think they CAN open-up a ton of cap space via restructured contracts.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
So question. Say the rams finish 8-9 and miss the playoffs. Pick around 14-16 do you think NIx is still available? And would you grab him there if he was available?
Personally, I like Nix and I like Penix (although I am a little uncomfortable saying that). However, I could see either, or both, going in the top-10.

I don't think a rookie QB helps the Rams very much in 2024 but if any team really likes a guy that they think could be a quality ten-year-starter ... and he is available ... that team has to take him.

I don't watch enough college football to have a strong opinion; and the Rams could have a chance at drafting a top-3 OT, top-2 Edge or the top-CB ... and they are all big needs and impact positions, in my opinion.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Personally, I like Nix and I like Penix (although I am a little uncomfortable saying that). However, I could see either, or both, going in the top-10.

I don't think a rookie QB helps the Rams very much in 2024 but if any team really likes a guy that they think could be a quality ten-year-starter ... and he is available ... that team has to take him.

I don't watch enough college football to have a strong opinion; and the Rams could have a chance at drafting a top-3 OT, top-2 Edge or the top-CB ... and they are all big needs and impact positions, in my opinion.
The way I see the two is that Bo Nix is very good at playing within the offense. He knows the playbook front to back and that’s how he plays.. Maybe he’s a system QB. Penix is a bit more of a creator. He’s got a looser style.

Right now I don’t think either is a top ten worthy pick, but that won’t stop a QB needy team from picking them in the top ten

Unless the Rams sign an edge in free agency, I think that position will be their top priority. Jourdan claims that they want to get longer at corner too..

One guy I wouldn’t mind them picking in round one is Jer’zhan Newton from Illinois. He’s a very good defensive tackle. He would be earning from the GOAT. He is a disruptive force inside. One day AD will retire and it would be nice to have a strong DLine in place to soften the blow. But I guess that all comes down to what happens in free agency.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They have a lot they can open and, to me, if Stafford’s your QB… you’re going all-in everywhere else.
They dont have a lot to open, they have only 31 players under contract for 2024. Even with the increased cap space, the Rams have significant Cap concerns for '24

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
They don't have a lot to open, they have only 31 players under contract for 2024.

31!!! I thought it was around 36 ...

1700751913339.png

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim

Right now I don’t think either is a top ten worthy pick, but that won’t stop a QB needy team from picking them in the top ten

Yes, when I post about draft prospects I rarely consider what I think Should be the case. It's just conjecture; and, it's not even well-informed conjecture because I don't watch much college football.

My focus, which is based on everything I read and hear, is what I think WILL happen ... Not Should.

As you noted, QB-needy Teams reach for quarterbacks. At this point (Super Early) Williams and Maye seem like top-3 picks, with Nix and Penix the 3rd and 4th QB. That's why I think they Will go Top-10 ... Not Should.

If McCarthy comes out, he could push ahead of Nix or Penix, maybe even Maye (it's Early). That's based simply on what I have read and heard thus far because I have yet to watch McCarthy play. I am also curious about Daniels. Not even considering Sanders because I doubt he comes out.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I wouldn't. I don't see Stafford retiring soon. I think he finishes out his contract. And they have a lot of holes to fill. They have more money but not enough to fill all of them. I'd wait another year to start thinking about his long term replacement. They need to address the offensive line first. Edge rusher second. Secondary third.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I really like L'Jarius Sneed's game, however, I am sure the Chiefs will franchise him. But he is the type of CB I would love for the Rams to add.

Da-Rock

Pro Bowler
It may just be me and the sting of so many top 10 1st rounders being a bust, but doesn't it seem like the teens in the 1st round always seem to be career top level talent in the NFL?

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
OK ... Maybe

But that could put them right back to where they are now but even a bigger re-set ... a Major Re-Build.

If there are a few "difference-makers" available in free agency (Allen, Burns, maybe Young) I think the Rams can make a marketable (Huge) offer without significant re-structures. Like I had posted, I think they will have enough cap space for that, plus a couple solid free agent additions.

Just don't think they CAN open-up a ton of cap space via restructured contracts.
I'm assuming the major re-build after a two-year all-out model.. but with *keeping* all their draft picks and not trading picks for players.
Because.. if you weren't planning on a major remodel in a couple of years, why would you even have Stafford on your roster?

I'm not a cap expert by ANY MEASURE.. I just played with the overthgcap.com tools.. I kept Alaric Jackson with a 2nd round tender offer.. I gave Dotson 9 million a year.. I gave Witherspoon 5 million a year..

I designated Noteboom and Allen as post June 1st cuts.

I got to 42 players.. and by restructuring Stafford, Donald, Kupp, Havenstein and Higbee.. I got to well over 100-million in cap space.

Again, I'm not a cap guy.. and this is just using the overthgcap.com tools.. AND being hyper aggressive.. but that's what I got to. And that kind of model is the only thing that makes sense to me as to why they decided to clear the books this year.

With that kind of $$ available.. they can take some massive swings.. AND bring in multiple value vets.. even have a quality backup qb.