PFF: CASE KEENUM OVER JARED GOFF WISE SHORT-TERM

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

If Goff doesn't start, should I finally question our coaching staff?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I would rather Goff be considered ready by the coaches, than play him and overwhelm him
hmmm, overwhelmed....wow...imagine his first game in 2017...and he plays....a Denver...like the 3rd preseason game this year...never started b4...didn't want to "overwhelm" him...protect him...Or he plays a 1st game in 2018...plays a Buffalo....Will he look like a polished vet then? He's been protected, groomed, not rushed....
My point, sports are not easy...You have to throw him in the pool. It doesn't have to be the deep end...He can have floaties on...life jacket...but for him to learn how to swim, he's got to get in the pool...The sooner the better. 10 years??? Damn you're looking far ahead...Avg. length of an NFL career is 3.3 years. If he's got it, he's got it...if he don't, he don't.
Jim Everett...I always bring him up...Sam Bradford too...they had great rookie years...they really weren't "ready"...And both players...got worse "statistically" over time. Did they start too soon, or simply, they just didn't have it? No way to tell

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
hmmm, overwhelmed....wow...imagine his first game in 2017...and he plays....a Denver...like the 3rd preseason game this year...never started b4...didn't want to "overwhelm" him...protect him...Or he plays a 1st game in 2018...plays a Buffalo....Will he look like a polished vet then? He's been protected, groomed, not rushed....
My point, sports are not easy...You have to throw him in the pool. It doesn't have to be the deep end...He can have floaties on...life jacket...but for him to learn how to swim, he's got to get in the pool...The sooner the better. 10 years??? Damn you're looking far ahead...Avg. length of an NFL career is 3.3 years. If he's got it, he's got it...if he don't, he don't.
Jim Everett...I always bring him up...Sam Bradford too...they had great rookie years...they really weren't "ready"...And both players...got worse "statistically" over time. Did they start too soon, or simply, they just didn't have it? No way to tell

Well what do we know and what don't we know? Goff could be, or is the best passer on the team. However he has never taken a snap under center until OATs. There is a huge playbook to and he has to remember all of the verbiage instead of having coaches use flashcards on the sidelines. So, do you wait until he has a good enough grip on the offense to start him? Or do you throw him into the fire when he is not ready? And put up with the it's and confusion and hesitation that leads to taking bad sacks? Possibly increasing the chance of serious injury.

Fisher said that you want to play your high draft picks. So, I am sure that playing Goff in game one is the goal.But, it is not a given.

TK42-RAM

... still not at my post.
I answered yes -- I think it's a fans right to question the coaching staff and the moves they make.

I think we should start Keenum rather than throw Goff in at the deep end - Goff is the chosen one we all know that but he needs support and I think if he can watch from the sidelines for a time I think that may be better for his long term development.

nighttrain

Legend
Well what do we know and what don't we know? Goff could be, or is the best passer on the team. However he has never taken a snap under center until OATs. There is a huge playbook to and he has to remember all of the verbiage instead of having coaches use flashcards on the sidelines. So, do you wait until he has a good enough grip on the offense to start him? Or do you throw him into the fire when he is not ready? And put up with the it's and confusion and hesitation that leads to taking bad sacks? Possibly increasing the chance of serious injury.

Fisher said that you want to play your high draft picks. So, I am sure that playing Goff in game one is the goal.But, it is not a given.
love that you always have intelligent cognitive responses
train

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Or do you throw him into the fire when he is not ready?
did Keenum look ready? all the time? didn't he even look confused? just asking...the command of the playbook takes time for them all...in the end, it's still football...

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
did Keenum look ready? all the time? didn't he even look confused? just asking...the command of the playbook takes time for them all...in the end, it's still football...

Yeah, but reports were that Keenum actually looked better than Foles in camp. So, he was probably better than most rookies that didn't have a few NFL years under their belts. Plus the Rams didn't have much of a choice with Starting Keenum. Once Foles began to stink, they had to start someone. They have a choice this year. Fisher wants 11 wins, so if Goff is not yet up to speed then he will go with the guy who gives him the best chance to win.

I would love it if Goff was ready to start the first game but that is a tall order for a team expecting to win 11 games. Tennessee and Tampa were in different situations. In fact most teams drafting the top QB in the draft with the number 1 pick are doing so because they suck. The Rams are probably the best team in history to draft a QB number 1 overall. They moved up from 15. So, they aren't actually the worst team in football.

Remember also that Fisher doesn't seem to like starting first rounders right away. We have seen that since he has been here.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
huh? Are you talking preseason games? Those count in your assessment of The Kurt Warner???

He played against SF. London Flecthcer started that game.Those were to rookies I really liked & wanted to see play. Warner sat the bench the whole season.
--London Fletcher was a UDFA his coming out of like Austin Stephens or something like that.
Warner was a Euro guy The Rams had rights to.He wore The Rams logo on the back of his helmet,a long with Tom Nutten who was his center in Amsterdam .

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
That final game vs SF cooled Fisher's jets on Keenum. It was a nice reality check for the staff to be reminded they had to do something at the QB position. I get all the media buying the company line here, but once again I'll point out that Fish is full of BS when it comes to the media.

It will not take long for the kid to represent a greater chance of winning at QB.

It is already very, very close and obvious in practice. They need to see the kid come out vs Dallas and play well. If that happens, he is going to overtake Keenum very shortly. IMO people need to quit reading the company line, because it's BS. Goff is going to play this season, almost surely from game one on. He's a 1 overall pick, and he's not an asshat the guy is coming along nicely. It's gonna happen, not even a question about it in my mind.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That final game vs SF cooled Fisher's jets on Keenum. It was a nice reality check for the staff to be reminded they had to do something at the QB position. I get all the media buying the company line here, but once again I'll point out that Fish is full of BS when it comes to the media.

It will not take long for the kid to represent a greater chance of winning at QB.

It is already very, very close and obvious in practice. They need to see the kid come out vs Dallas and play well. If that happens, he is going to overtake Keenum very shortly. IMO people need to quit reading the company line, because it's BS. Goff is going to play this season, almost surely from game one on. He's a 1 overall pick, and he's not an asshat the guy is coming along nicely. It's gonna happen, not even a question about it in my mind.
You had me at That

Great post, totally agree.
I'm not a fan of cherry picking stats, and I know I'm being hypocritical here, but as woeful as Kennum stats were last year, they were heavily padded by an amazing half against Tampa. Yes it happened and cant take it away, but without it he averaged 148 yards passing at a 57% clip and only 2 touchdowns in 4 games...

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

FWIW over at Rams fans United one of the last reports claims that Goff is starting to get more of the number 1 reps and that Keenum is slowly losing the battle to be the starter with because he has been the lesser of the two QBs lately. I don't recall which one it was. I think it was by Hacksaw.

dolphinlover123

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It doesn't matter too much right now who starts in the first pre-season game. What matters is how Goff handles the game when he is put in against Dallas and how he progresses from there to the end of the pre-season.

I would actually not have goff start in the first pre-season game. Usually the starter gets less PT than the 2nd and 3rd strings in the pre-season anyway, right?

Athos

Legend
I'll tell you one thing... The team won't be winning much with 165 passing yards a game unless they're going over 200 on the ground every time and your D plays like the Broncos.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I keep hearing how Goff standing on the sidelines holding a clipboard means he will learn nothing. That's complete BS. He will be learning plenty.
Like the old adage states, "Tell me and I forget, show me and I remember, involve me and I understand."

The Takeaway: Research Findings
A growing body of research has shown the following:

• Students learn more deeply when they can apply classroom-gathered knowledge to real-world problems, and when they take part in projects that require sustained engagement and collaboration.
  • Active-learning practices have a more significant impact on student performance than any other variable, including student background and prior achievement.
  • Students are most successful when they are taught how to learn as well as what to learn.
This was taken from
http://www.edutopia.org/inquiry-project-learning-research

I think the study would extrapolate to clipboard QB's, versus rookie QB's learning by doing in real games.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Report tonight is Keenum gets about 15 snaps and Goff goes into the 3rd quarter.

Blood85

UDFA
Name
Rob
I don't want the rook to start if he isn't ready, but especially if the O line cant protect him. Terrible O lines have ruined young QBs and jacked up careers. I've heard several former NFL guys same David Carr and Couch would have been at least solid QBs but getting absolutely wrecked constantly did them in... I didn't want Robinson on draft day (loved Kahlil) and I still don't have any confidence in him... and with Havenstein out... yikes.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I don't want the rook to start if he isn't ready, but especially if the O line cant protect him. Terrible O lines have ruined young QBs and jacked up careers. I've heard several former NFL guys same David Carr and Couch would have been at least solid QBs but getting absolutely wrecked constantly did them in... I didn't want Robinson on draft day (loved Kahlil) and I still don't have any confidence in him... and with Havenstein out... yikes.

Goff is smart, and he's gonna be ready to start, but I agree the STAFF definitely aren't going to put their prized #1 pick in at starter if the OL is terrible. Hopefully that won't happen (I have no reason right now to think it will that is), and the line will play well from tonight on through preseason.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Report tonight is Keenum gets about 15 snaps and Goff goes into the 3rd quarter.
this sounds like about what I would expect!! It all is subject to change depending on what the coaches see in those first 15 snaps!