PFF: CASE KEENUM OVER JARED GOFF WISE SHORT-TERM

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

If Goff doesn't start, should I finally question our coaching staff?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
https://www.profootballfocus.com/pr...ver-jared-goff-wise-short-term-move-for-rams/
Gordon McGuinness talks starting quarterbacks in Los Angeles
Bringing Jared Goff along slowly smart move for Rams: Ian Rapoport tweetedyesterday that there is a real chance that quarterback Case Keenum enters the 2016 season as the starter for the Los Angeles Rams. While first-overall pick Jared Goff (Cal) is starting to get some first-team reps, the news isn’t entirely surprising if the Rams want to bring their franchise quarterback along slowly. Goff is going to be the Rams’ starting quarterback at some point, and it would be surprising if he didn’t take the reigns during the 2016 season at some point.

Keenum has graded negatively on 942 snaps over the course of his career so far, but did finish three of his five starts in 2015 with a positive grade, so the Rams are at least in fairly safe hands if the veteran indeed begins the season as the starter. He was solid throwing the ball downfield last season, completing six of the 17 passes traveling 20 yards or more downfield, but one area in which he struggled was passing under pressure. On plays where the opposing defense didn’t get pressure, Keenum completed 68.5 percent of his passes for 679 yards, three touchdowns, and no interceptions; when under pressure, that dropped to 41.7 percent, 149 yards, a single touchdown, and an interception. Under pressure, Keenum’s quarterback rating dropped from 102.2 to 51.7.

Keenum-pressure-stats.png

While it makes sense to start Keenum early in the year if Goff isn’t quite ready, Rams fans will be eager to see their quarterback of the future, especially after such an impressive 2015 college campaign. His final season at Cal saw him grade higher than both Jameis Winston’s final season at Florida State and Marcus Mariota’s final season at Oregon, and both of those players finished their NFL rookie seasons with an overall positive grade. That doesn’t mean Goff will definitely play well as a rookie, but it’s interesting to compare him to two players who handled themselves fairly well in their first pro seasons.

It’s easy to understand why the Rams want to ease Goff into the pro game gently, rather than throwing him in at the deep end, but he was the top player selected in this draft for a reason, and has the arm to make big-time throws in the NFL. He excelled throwing the ball downfield in his final season at Cal, completing 44 of the 100 passes he attempted over 20 yards or more downfield. It looks like Keenum will open the preseason as the starter, but it also wouldn’t come as a shock to see Goff outplay him and win the top job before the season begins.

Now, yall know how I feel about PFF....but this is debating season...what ifs. I will truly question some management if they feel say, Goff needs to sit the majority or even the whole season. Not because we took Goff, but why waste all the draft capital, why not stay at 14 overall? How can so many other drafted QB's be ready week one, and Weinke, Boras, and Groh NOT have their #1 choice ready after 2 months of camp & ota's?

We just ended the season versus Frisco....and to me, the offense, behind Keenum was stagnant and settled for FG's in a very winnable game. Who's satisfied with that? That's 7 & 9 crap right there...

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
I think Kenum is the epitome of an efficient game manager that can be effective enough to help the Rams win many of their early games because he can do enough to complement a great back like Gurley along with the Rams strong defense.

Whereas I truly believe Goff has the arm talent to tip the balance and make big plays to win a game that a efficient game manager may loose. With Goff's inexperience though the risk is that special playmaking ability will sometimes be offset by his "rookiness" that Could cause the Rams to loose winnable games due to a few critical rookie errors.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm a learn by doing, guy. So you know my stance about Goff starting game one. If the extremely cautious approach is used and Keenum isn't good enough in this rough stretch of games early, we will see Goff anyway, with no significant "hands on" experience, execpt the week before his first start...So he would have no significant reps with the Ones until being thrown in on week 3..or week 6...or week 12...We have to see how well the progression goes until Week One in frisco, but if he's even close to Keenum in his ability to win, it would be crazy to not start him then....

AllGasNoBrakes

Air Traffic Controller
This is Gurley's team anyways. Case Keenum can hand him the ball just fine, while making necessary "game managing" throws.
I'd rather be patient with Goff and reap long term success than watch him fall apart bc he started too soon.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Anyone remember Kurt Warners game he & London Fletcher both got there first start ?? It was a loss,basically the same as Case Keenum's. The Rams had signed FA Trent Green to be the starter.
--Just saying crazier things have happened , & the way players get graded.

--I had a very large wager in Vegas before preseason.Was watching The Rams play while Trent Green was 8 for 8
& they looked like a Playoff team. There schedule was also very easy.
The first game of the season was against Baltimore. They had a new head coach. Had to make the call on Kurt Warner for game one at home.
The one thing I knew about Kurt Warner at the time was,he was not going to loss the game for The Rams. The Rams defense in the Dome was enough to stay out. Figured the Suoer Bowl wager was just about history though.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
My take right now is Weinke will know who is ready. Boras will as well. Fisher will trust them & is not afraid either way.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
This is Gurley's team anyways. Case Keenum can hand him the ball just fine, while making necessary "game managing" throws.
If this is the Case....why not just roll with Keenum and draft a "developmental" QB? If Case can win games by handing off to Gurley, why not do that? Hell, why even draft a QB?

Anyone remember Kurt Warners game...
Kurt's first start? Didn't Warner start out throwing for 300 yards his first 3-4 games?

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Keenum is still ahead of Goff. Probably will be for a time, still.

But it might be a bit like letting a Corvette have a head start on a dragster.

There is little doubt as to who is gonna get to the finish line the soonest.

Whether Goff surpasses Keenum by opening day remains in doubt. But he is already showing that he can do things that Keenum just can't do.

I really, really like our QB situation. Been a long time since I could say that...

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
I keep hearing how Goff standing on the sidelines holding a clipboard means he will learn nothing. That's complete BS. He will be learning plenty.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
If this is the Case....why not just roll with Keenum and draft a "developmental" QB? If Case can win games by handing off to Gurley, why not do that? Hell, why even draft a QB?

Kurt's first start? Didn't Warner start out throwing for 300 yards his first 3-4 games?

Well thanks for that !! It was his first game he played. Steve Bono started the game and went 15-30 for 240 3tds and an INT.

Kurt Warner sucked. He went 4-11 for 39 yards. A long 21 yards.
I was scared,but preseason was what really kept me from going to play against it. I had seen him play in Euro w/ Smith who was the center. He was very underrates(size) as a right guard.

RamWoodie

Legend
I think the best approach is to take your time with Goff and start Keenum. I'll stand on that until I see all of preseason because Goff could show out...even though I doubt it at this point. Camp reports favor Keenum easily.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I think the best approach is to take your time with Goff and start Keenum. I'll stand on that until I see all of preseason because Goff could show out...even though I doubt it at this point. Camp reports favor Keenum easily.
I think it's important to remember as well that some guys go into a different mode when the big lights come on. I always thought Goff was that guy. Keenum won't win is a Super Bowl.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
The this is Gurley's team thing is fine but think like this. 125 x 16 = 2000 So If Gurley destroys it at 125 yds per game he has a 2000 yard season. The 20th ranked offensive team last year averaged 340 yds a game leaving 215 yds unaccounted for and laying pretty much on the shoulder of the QB. The point? your QB is always more than a game manager, he is the single most impactful person on your offense in relation to yds gained.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I'd rather be patient with Goff and reap long term success than watch him fall apart bc he started too soon.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
https://www.profootballfocus.com/pr...ver-jared-goff-wise-short-term-move-for-rams/
Gordon McGuinness talks starting quarterbacks in Los Angeles
Bringing Jared Goff along slowly smart move for Rams: Ian Rapoport tweetedyesterday that there is a real chance that quarterback Case Keenum enters the 2016 season as the starter for the Los Angeles Rams. While first-overall pick Jared Goff (Cal) is starting to get some first-team reps, the news isn’t entirely surprising if the Rams want to bring their franchise quarterback along slowly. Goff is going to be the Rams’ starting quarterback at some point, and it would be surprising if he didn’t take the reigns during the 2016 season at some point.

Keenum has graded negatively on 942 snaps over the course of his career so far, but did finish three of his five starts in 2015 with a positive grade, so the Rams are at least in fairly safe hands if the veteran indeed begins the season as the starter. He was solid throwing the ball downfield last season, completing six of the 17 passes traveling 20 yards or more downfield, but one area in which he struggled was passing under pressure. On plays where the opposing defense didn’t get pressure, Keenum completed 68.5 percent of his passes for 679 yards, three touchdowns, and no interceptions; when under pressure, that dropped to 41.7 percent, 149 yards, a single touchdown, and an interception. Under pressure, Keenum’s quarterback rating dropped from 102.2 to 51.7.

Keenum-pressure-stats.png

While it makes sense to start Keenum early in the year if Goff isn’t quite ready, Rams fans will be eager to see their quarterback of the future, especially after such an impressive 2015 college campaign. His final season at Cal saw him grade higher than both Jameis Winston’s final season at Florida State and Marcus Mariota’s final season at Oregon, and both of those players finished their NFL rookie seasons with an overall positive grade. That doesn’t mean Goff will definitely play well as a rookie, but it’s interesting to compare him to two players who handled themselves fairly well in their first pro seasons.

It’s easy to understand why the Rams want to ease Goff into the pro game gently, rather than throwing him in at the deep end, but he was the top player selected in this draft for a reason, and has the arm to make big-time throws in the NFL. He excelled throwing the ball downfield in his final season at Cal, completing 44 of the 100 passes he attempted over 20 yards or more downfield. It looks like Keenum will open the preseason as the starter, but it also wouldn’t come as a shock to see Goff outplay him and win the top job before the season begins.

Now, yall know how I feel about PFF....but this is debating season...what ifs. I will truly question some management if they feel say, Goff needs to sit the majority or even the whole season. Not because we took Goff, but why waste all the draft capital, why not stay at 14 overall? How can so many other drafted QB's be ready week one, and Weinke, Boras, and Groh NOT have their #1 choice ready after 2 months of camp & ota's?

We just ended the season versus Frisco....and to me, the offense, behind Keenum was stagnant and settled for FG's in a very winnable game. Who's satisfied with that? That's 7 & 9 crap right there...

Fisher said they will play him when he is ready. He also said that you always want to play your high draft picks. I think that means they will try their best, but he is ready when they say he is ready. I would rather Goff be considered ready by the coaches, than play him and overwhelm him. This year is not what it is about, for me. Unlike Fisher, I think the young QB, the move, 35000 miles of travel, and tough schedule are going to be too much. It's about the next ten years.