Peter King: 12/3/18 and lots of other Rams related comments

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
LoyalRam Wagered Odds: 189/100 (2.89) Staked: $15,870

*LoyalRam waiting for flv's money ......

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
I would love to see the coach footage as the play happens. I'm guessing mcvay was running down the sideline all excited then got a confused look on his face. I doubt he was thinking just get down Todd. Just get down. The first camera take on mcvay after the play ended didnt look like Todd's decision was his preference. I know he said the right things after the game but of course he would even if he didn't agree with it.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
What I didn't like about it.

I was watching the stupid little game cast ( it's like watching electric football) it said
TOUCHDOWN Rams! So I ran into the living room gave my wife A high five and said touchdown! TG!

Then walk back to the phone and no touchdown and have to wait like forever to see the results!
Why watch it that way when reddit has you covered for free?

tempests

Hall of Fame
Gurley's gears are always turning. Even as he's flying down the field with nothing but air between him and the end zone. If he feels that pulling up and salting clock gives them the better chance of closing the game out, then that's what he'll do. Team's best interest at heart, always.

I love that about him.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
He should've just scored. With about 2 and a half minutes there's no way detroit scores 2 tds....even with 6 timeouts. And there's no guarantee that the rams score from the 2 yard line.

A couple weeks ago I was watching Montana play Montana State. Less then a minute left and Montana with 2nd and goal from the 2 foot line. They run up the middle for the go ahead td but Montana State had called a timeout just before the snap. No biggy, right, Montana just runs it up the middle again. Only this time the running back fumbles and Montana State recovers. Game over.

Crazy crap happens. Take the td that pushes the lead to 14 points. Even if the lions some how score a td, they would have to recover an onside kick and then score another td....all in about 2 and a half minutes. I don't think so.
This is essentially my position. Play smart, but don't play scared. If we are getting so cute as to be afraid that a team that scored 16 points against us in 58 minutes is going to DOUBLE their score in 2 minutes, we are thinking too much, and not playing kick-your-ass football enough.

Why tempt fate.
  • Running along the sidelines and taking a contact tackle, rather than scoring, or worst-case, just sliding at the one-yard line with out contact. Why tempt fate?
  • Risking a fumble on the next play. Why tempt fate?
  • Risking injury on the next play. Why tempt fate?
  • Risking an offensive lineman jumping the count, and backing out of "sure score" territory. Why tempt fate?
  • Risking a pick-6, TYING THE SCORE, if you decide to throw. Why tempt fate?
**Besides, I haven't seen this mentioned, it almost looks like the Rams changed their mind on the wisdom of what Todd did, as they ran for the touchdown on the NEXT play, at 2:38, but were stopped by the Lions. If the Lions play "Ole' defense" and let him score, the clock is at 2:30ish and they still have the 2:00 warning. Pretty minimal gain for such a risky move.

TGIII didn't score until the NEXT play after that.

disagree....The Rams had a first down on the 2 yard line, and the *Lions had to burn a time out there to stop the clock. Run the ball 4 straight times with Gurley, and you probably burn a lot of clock, and most likely you score with last years OPOY, which he did.
You're wrong @LoyalRam !!

ill fight you.jpg

The Lions wanted him to fumble the ball so they could recover and have a chance to tie the game, which could have happened after he did not score the sure TD. Or Goff could have thrown a pick6. The chances of the Lions coming back to tie or win increased (not by a lot, but still) by not scoring the sure TD.
I agree. Take the points. When Gurley did this earlier this year, we were only up by one, so his scoring would have put us up only by 8, and it was still a one-score game. He was right to not score then. This time, it would have given us a solid 2 TOUCHDOWN lead, with just over 2-minutes to play. In this scenario, if you have a set of balls, and Aaron Freaking Donald, you score the dang TD!!!

So 30 seconds to go 98 yards to tie the game, rather than forcing them to do twice in 2 minutes what they could only manage to do twice in 58 minutes. Mkay. Not saying this about you, Flv, but it is the mentality of a loser to do that. It reminds me of a Fisher move. Playing to not lose.

That would have been the best way to play it. Take 3 knees. Kick the FG up two scores with 36 seconds and no timeouts.

Missed FG still leaves them 95 yards in 36 seconds to tie.

Gurley made the right move. McVay should have followed that up with 3 knees and a foot.
So trade a little time, but concede 4 points to them, and allow them to only have to score a TD and a long field goal at the end, rather than the much more arduous task of score two full touchdowns in just a couple minutes.

On the Gurley maneuver, I don't know what statistics say, but what caused me anxiety was when he ran parallel to the goalline and let the pursuit get to him -- it's not like Gurley has never fumbled through the endzone for a touchback or something. People can reason through the strategy all they want, all I know is that my pulse rate went up there.

View: https://youtu.be/QTtUXVew79o

In order to tie the game if he doesn't score. Worst case scenario, we fumble on 1st down. They get the ball with about 2:20 and only the 2 minute warning, but only needing 1 score. It is clearly a worse scenario, but the odds of that happening are so small, that Risk Alalysis, says this is the right move. Fumbles generally happen when a guy gets hit not expecting it, or when he is fighting for extra yards, which doesn't really happen under this scenario. It is basically one of those "DONT FUMBLE" times, which cuts your odds of fumbling way down.

Did you see the guys trying to punch the ball out of his arms on the two successive tries after his bird-in-the-hand touchdown?

Guys are missing the essence of the choice here. Score the touchdown.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
"Loyal is always right." ~D. Farr

3xfVkr1.png

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
Watching tonight's game, the eagles had a first and goal on the 3. Incomplete pass, run for no gain, penalty on ertz of all people, went for it on 4th down and didnt make it.

tempests

Hall of Fame
  • Running along the sidelines and taking a contact tackle, rather than scoring, or worst-case, just sliding at the one-yard line with out contact. Why tempt fate?
  • Risking a fumble on the next play. Why tempt fate?
  • Risking injury on the next play. Why tempt fate?
  • Risking an offensive lineman jumping the count, and backing out of "sure score" territory. Why tempt fate?
  • Risking a pick-6, TYING THE SCORE, if you decide to throw. Why tempt fate?

Are that really fate or is that discipline and focus issues? I get there are a variety of possible unpleasant outcomes but this team doesn't make many mistakes like that. Their intensity and focus is highest in close games and in the 4th quarter. Yes, Gurley fumbled at the goal line last year but he doesn't stick the ball out for defenders to swipe at anymore. He learned.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Watching tonight's game, the eagles had a first and goal on the 3. Incomplete pass, run for no gain, penalty on ertz of all people, went for it on 4th down and didnt make it.

That's because the eagles are shit and the rams are great.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
I agree also. Doesn't duck.

Perfect strangers at the bar saying "crap, I sat...., I shoulda' played...,yada, yada, yada", like you're some kind of genius when your player has a good day. (Hey partner, really, really don't give a crap).

I know, I know, I'm 70 (as @RamFan503 loves reminding me), and I missed that bus, but it's still annoying.

AAAAHHHHH...feel much better. :boxing:

lol I'm 26 and I abhor fantasy sports, there's no age requirement to liking or disliking it.

I hate fantasy sports mainly due to a discussion I had with a coworker awhile back about advocating for 2 bye weeks to get the players well rested and avoid injuries; dude responded with bUt mUh fAnTaSy fOoTbaLL tEaM

Rambo

UDFA
The Lions could have stopped them on the goalline and Rams could have missed a field goal, then the Lions only need to score a TD to tie.

I still like the play though because its funny watching him run the wrong way. :LOL:

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I just liked it because you know some casual FF fan lost his damn mind right then.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
I liked it cuz, agree or disagree with the decision, shows his mind is totally in the game/situation.
Love his looks in post game interviews, like “why y’all asking these stupid fucking questions”?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I predict he will not be traded in the spring of 2019—having signed a five-year, $80-million extension with the Rams in July. But it’s pretty weird that a young, consistently productive wide receiver got thrown overboard by good teams in successive years. (Even though the Saints have a very good right tackle, Ryan Ramczyk, to show for it. The Patriots used the pick on tackle Isaiah Wynn, who tore his Achilles in August and won’t play till next summer.)

What King misses here is that the Saints had a QB who is a dink & dunker and cannot utilize Cooks' speed. And the Patriots don't like to pay top money often times.

Guys are missing the essence of the choice here. Score the touchdown.

72a25e960672bfa6220785b597741a89.gif