Peter King: 10/22/18

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
These are excerpts. Only Rams stuff is posted. To read the whole article click the link below.
************************************************************************************
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/10/22/ravens-justin-tucker-nfl-fmia-week-7-peter-king/

By Peter King

Los Angeles stadium drama
The Chargers are going to sell incredibly reasonable tickets for the L.A. market, but that’s not making everyone happy. The way this new stadium works: The Rams sell tickets separately from the Chargers. Rams owner Stan Kroenke foots the bill to build the place (about $3.1 billion), and owner Dean Spanos of the Chargers forks over all personal seat license fees to Kroenke. Spanos announced last week that the upper deck in the new Rams/Chargers stadium, opening in 2020, will have $100 personal-seat licenses per seat, plus tickets ranging from $50 to $90 per game.

In today’s economy, that is stunningly reasonable. But Kroenke, I am told, never thought the PSL fees the Chargers would announce would be so low. The Rams were thinking the Chargers’ contribution to the stadium through PSL fees would be near $400 million. Now the Rams think they’ll be lucky to see $150 million out of Charger PSLs. That could mean another big chunk for Kroenke to pay. “The math in the stadium is starting to erode,” said one official with knowledge of both team’s financial dealings.

Look at it this way. Say you want to buy one season ticket with a PSL in a prime section in the upper deck for each team. For the Rams, that could cost $5,000 for the PSL and $120 per ticket per game for the 10-game season. Initial investment for year one for a Rams seat: $6,200. Initial investment for a Chargers seat, including the PSL and the ticket cost at $90 per seat: $1,000. Let’s say you’re not a Rams fan, but you’re an NFL fan.

You say, “I can get a pair or tickets to the new stadium, including PSLs, in a good spot of the upper deck for $2,000 for the season?” The Chargers, in this scenario, could actually take business away from the Rams because their upper-deck tickets will be in some cases one-sixth the cost. It’s going to be very interesting to see how this plays out—and to see if the Chargers, even with these advantages, can come close to selling out their games in 2020.

“To say, ‘Everything will get better when we move into the big new stadium,’ is like saying, ‘My wife and I will stop bickering as soon as we have kids.’“

—Sam Farmer of the Los Angeles Times, after the Chargers announced a seating plan with 26,000 low-cost tickets with PSLs of only $100 per seat—far below what the market was expected to be for seats at the new stadium they will share with the Rams in Los Angeles beginning in 2020. Good sign for fans, these low-cost seats. Bad sign for a franchise that hoped the move would bring newfound riches.
---------------------------------
Sunday in SoCal
On the sporting calendar Sunday in southern California, you’ll find these six major-league games in six hours, provided there is not a World Series sweep:

12:30 p.m., Los Angeles. Hockey: Rangers at Kings.
1:25 p.m., Los Angeles. Football: Packers at Rams.
1:30 p.m., Carson. Soccer: Dynamo at Galaxy.
5 p.m., Anaheim. Hockey: Sharks at Ducks.
5:09 p.m., Los Angeles. Baseball: Red Sox at Dodgers (Game 5, if necessary).
6:30 p.m., Los Angeles. Basketball: Wizards at Clippers.
---------------------------
Defensive Players of the Week

gettyimages-1052711866.jpg

Aaron Donald strips the ball from 49ers running back Matt Breida. (Getty Images)

Aaron Donald, defensive tackle, Los Angeles Rams. Looked like Donald was playing against a juco team Sunday at Levi’s Stadium, but it was a real NFL unit. (Though the Niners are battered a bit.) Donald had a stat line he might have three or four times in a career: nine tackles, 4 sacks (for 29 yards), two other tackles for loss, one more quarterback hit, a forced fumble, a fumble recovered. If there was ever any doubt about the size of Donald’s contract, doubt it no more. He’s worth it. All of it.
-------------------------
MVP Watch

Todd Gurley, RB, Los Angeles Rams.Last week: not ranked. I am sold, FMIA mob. I have switched from Jared Goff in this top five to Gurley. That could change down the road; we’ll see. Both have been hugely important to the Rams’ league-best start.

A couple of reasons: Gurley has double the number of touchdowns from scrimmage (14) of any other player in football, and we’re nearly at the season’s midpoint. Three more touchdowns Sunday at Santa Clara. He’s got a 67-yard lead in the rushing race, over Ezekiel Elliott. And he’s the primary reason why the Rams are 7-0 while the rest of the division is stumbling along at 5-15 collectively.
-----------------------
Things I Think I Think

When I turned on Rams-Niners, I thought I’d stumbled on a new channel, The Satirical Food Network. THERE WERE 11 MUSTARD BOTTLES RUNNING AROUND ON THE FIELD!

Most dominant player in football today: Aaron Donald.

And Corey Littleton, kick-blocker … He’s not bad either. Four career blocked punts for the Rams’ third-year linebacker now.

Psycho_X

Legend
The PSL thing sounds like really poor planning on the Rams part. Why would they ever agree to let the Chargers dictate pricing when it doesn't mean anything to them? Of course they are going to give away the tickets compared to the Rams. They want people in the seats and not an empty stadium like they are currently experiencing. Doesn't matter to Spanos how much the tickets cost if he gets none of the money. Someone should be fired for that. Worst case they should have put in a floor for pricing to at least make a minimum.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So spanos fucks Stan on the PSL BS .. time to up the rent stan

and he removes Goff to put Gurley in ,,, who else in there deserves to be in there more than Goff ? (other than Gurley ) maybve he has a 1 person per team bullshit rule

SoCalRam78

Pro Bowler
Name
SoCalRam78
The PSL thing sounds like really poor planning on the Rams part. Why would they ever agree to let the Chargers dictate pricing when it doesn't mean anything to them? Of course they are going to give away the tickets compared to the Rams. They want people in the seats and not an empty stadium like they are currently experiencing. Doesn't matter to Spanos how much the tickets cost if he gets none of the money. Someone should be fired for that. Worst case they should have put in a floor for pricing to at least make a minimum.

Peter King is not accurate. 18.75% of PSL revenue goes to the chargers. So selling cheap PSLs does not benefit the Chargers either, though yes, the majority of it goes to stadium costs.

So from 400 million, that would be 325 million to costs
From 150 million, that would be 122 million.

As for the math eroding, gonna call bs there. I believe Kroenke would have preferred zero tenant. Between the olympcs, cf playoff, world cup and super bowls, long term, 200 million isn't going to move the needle at all.

NFL jacked this one up.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Btw I scanned through SI.com's MMQB and there was not one single word about the Rams, not one. If you want to read it anyway click the link below.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/10/22/n...hers-chiefs-nick-bosa-chargers-eric-reid-mmqb
Wow... just wow!

Sorry... to write a column of that length and not mention the ONLY undefeated team left sure sounds like an agenda driven columnist.

Not sure what the Rams did to Mr. Breer but all I can think of is... they failed to cover the spread for a few weeks.
Maybe he gave up on betting them ATS and now, they burned him.

If that's the case... hahahahaha...

Flint

Pro Bowler
Wow... just wow!

Sorry... to write a column of that length and not mention the ONLY undefeated team left sure sounds like an agenda driven columnist.

Not sure what the Rams did to Mr. Breer but all I can think of is... they failed to cover the spread for a few weeks.

There has been some talk about who’s the best team in football between Rams and Chiefs, but you would think the rams would get a little more attention being the only undefeated team left. If it was the pats they would lead every show, oh well. It is funny though last week the scrappy niners had the pack dead to rights, this week they were overmatched and the chiefs win was more impressive.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler

counter-point: I believe Stan would have preferred not having another team in LA, so making any money of the Chargers would technically be more profits for him

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
The NFL screwed up giving the Chargers first shot over the Raiders. Everyone knows they don't have a fan base in LA. But the Raiders do. A Rams/Raiders scenario sharing that stadium woulda been profitable for everyone. Now a Rams/Chargers pairing is going to cost them. Their loyalty to the Spanos family is misplaced. The Davis family has had a long time NFL presence too.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The NFL screwed up giving the Chargers first shot over the Raiders. Everyone knows they don't have a fan base in LA. But the Raiders do. A Rams/Raiders scenario sharing that stadium woulda been profitable for everyone. Now a Rams/Chargers pairing is going to cost them. Their loyalty to the Spanos family is misplaced. The Davis family has had a long time NFL presence too.

I don't think any owner except Davis wanted the Raiders in LA. Besides the history of - to put it politely - rowdiness among a significant percentage of their fans when they were in LA before, Davis' father had pissed off every single other owner. And Kroenke definitely wouldn't want the Raiders competing for most popular in LA.

In terms of the Chargers pricing PSLs so low, they are shooting themselves in the foot. Getting less than $19 in their pocket for a PSL? They could have done so much better in San Diego, and everybody knows it. Instead they got greedy, and now their revenue has plummeted. And there is really no way for it to increase in the foreseeable future, until they sell to a real owner and move to their own city. And thanks to Spanos' stupidity, the value of the franchise is likely to go down, or at least not increase as much as league average.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
screw the Raiders.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Spanos is a dumb@$$.

PSLs tend to be snapped up by your more wealthy type folks. Many of whom will lock up the seats because of the prestige and whatnot. You probably have some die-hard Chargers fans in LA who are going to go get their seats and all, but as a business approach I don't think this is a savvy decision and I suspect Dean is thumbing his nose at Stan by doing it.

Rams are going to sell out their PSLs. Chargers probably will too. In then end they'll be left wondering whether they left a lot of money on the table, not that Dean's too concerned given the benefit of pissing Stan off.

I have to think we're going to see some drama in the future in this situation. I doubt the two owners are going to be able to peacefully coexist.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Wow... just wow!

Plenty of butt-kissing of Mahomes and the Chiefs though. Maybe it's because the Rams are too far West for the East Coast pundits. :sneaky:

HX76

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Can someone please tell me what a psl is? How much is a season ticket roughly?

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Can someone please tell me what a psl is? How much is a season ticket roughly?
Private Seat License.

Think of it as a "bond" that does not pay interest but, like any other asset, may increase in value

Depending on the market and team, they can range anywhere from a few thousand to many thousands.

Check this out:
http://footballpsl.com/viewListings.php?teamId=1

HX76

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Private Seat License.

Think of it as a "bond" that does not pay interest but, like any other asset, may increase in value

Depending on the market and team, they can range anywhere from a few thousand to many thousands.

Thanks. Can you get a season ticket without one?

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Plenty of butt-kissing of Mahomes and the Chiefs though. Maybe it's because the Rams are too far West for the East Coast pundits. :sneaky:
Should have stayed in STL... I kid, I kid...