Penalties + undisciplined = no playoffs?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
The Rams are generally considered an undisciplined team being among the league leaders in penalties. It's often cited as a reason we are 6-10 and out of the playoffs.

Interesting that Seattle, New England, and Denver are among the top 6 most penalized teams (along with our Rams) yet all 3 have a bye week to start the playoffs.

So penalties doesn't exactly translate to losing.

And...

Does anyone consider Seattle, Denver, and New England as undisciplined?

Don't get me wrong, the Rams need to stop hurting themselves. They need to cut down on the penalties. But... Really... They just need to start winning.

http://www.nflpenalties.com

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
It's not the penalties we commit, it's the ones we didn't commit but were called for! That and the blown assignments! Probably a dozen plays made the difference in a winning record and a losing record!

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I'm pretty sure that the shecocks led the league in penalties last year... when they won the Super Bowl.

Some of the unnecessary roughness penalties we earn actually make me smile. I should point out that I'm just a hair above caveman in evolution though. The thing about the roughing shots that I see our guys delivering... they have a positive purpose at times. Don't think for a minute that other team's players don't have their heads on a swivel when playing us. That can lead to dropped passes, hurried/bad throws, missed assignments, and I could go on. I don't mind setting a tone of "Oh Shit these guys are tougher than we are!". Sometimes the 15 yard penalty is worth every yard.

Caveman OUT

WoodsideRam

Rookie
Just a theory, but I would guess it's their QB play that allows them to overcome those penalties. We have to play perfect football to have a chance to beat the really good teams. They have the type of QB where they can shoot themselves in the foot a few times and still score points.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Just a theory, but I would guess it's their QB play that allows them to overcome those penalties. We have to play perfect football to have a chance to beat the really good teams. They have the type of QB where they can shoot themselves in the foot a few times and still score points.

All 3 are top 10 offenses.

I was going to start a separate thread on the goal to reach 24 points per game in 2015... Of the 11 teams that score 24 or more; 8 made the playoffs. (The Rams finished at 20.3)

Message being; points can help a team overcome the penalties and suddenly look more disciplined in the process. Which is why I find the topic of penalties and discipline a little bit of a double standard comparing the Rams to those "3 highly regarded teams".

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
The Rams are generally considered an undisciplined team being among the league leaders in penalties. It's often cited as a reason we are 6-10 and out of the playoffs.

Interesting that Seattle, New England, and Denver are among the top 6 most penalized teams (along with our Rams) yet all 3 have a bye week to start the playoffs.

So penalties doesn't exactly translate to losing.

And...

Does anyone consider Seattle, Denver, and New England as undisciplined?

Don't get me wrong, the Rams need to stop hurting themselves. They need to cut down on the penalties. But... Really... They just need to start winning.

http://www.nflpenalties.com

This came up in another thread a while back. I have wondered if the correlation isn't amount of penalties but type? For instance are Denver and NE up there because they get more holding penalties protecting their QBs, where we are more up there due to false starts which would be more of a discipline issue? Some types of penalties lead to questions of discipline....

I do not have this data or know where to reasonably get it .....

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
This came up in another thread a while back. I have wondered if the correlation isn't amount of penalties but type? For instance are Denver and NE up there because they get more holding penalties protecting their QBs, where we are more up there due to false starts which would be more of a discipline issue? Some types of penalties lead to questions of discipline....

Good points!

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

This makes sense to me.

I watch a lot of New England (my son is a fervent fan) and - for a team that is high in penalties - it sure doesn't "seem" that way to me (that they are racking up penalties).

As soon as we find our Brady, or Wilson or Manning, perhaps penalties won't matter as much to the Rams. :)

But, as it is now? Penalties and losses definitely have a correlation with the Rams! ;)

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
There are stupid, undisciplined penalties and there are aggressive penalties. I don't mind the latter, and as long as you clean up the former, the aggressive penalties won't matter much as long as we improve our overall game.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
It's not the penalties we commit, it's the ones we didn't commit but were called for! That and the blown assignments! Probably a dozen plays made the difference in a winning record and a losing record!
And the ones the other team commits and were not called for... particularly holding on Quinn...

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

I was going to start a separate thread on the goal to reach 24 points per game in 2015... Of the 11 teams that score 24 or more; 8 made the playoffs. (The Rams finished at 20.3)

Message being; points can help a team overcome the penalties and suddenly look more disciplined in the process. Which is why I find the topic of penalties and discipline a little bit of a double standard comparing the Rams to those "3 highly regarded teams".

For me the number is 27, because at that number you are in for sure. So the Rams need to find a way to get one more TD per game, and with an above average QB I think they can get it.

As far as the penalties they do need to cut them down a lot, it does hurt and in some cases may have prevented the team from getting to your 24 point "line" because we saw several drives killed. They need to tighten it up a bit, it can't hurt.

fearsomefour

Legend

Good defenses that are consistent offset some of that. The Rams certainly improved on that front this year overall. A PI flag for example that gives an opponent a big gain is not such a big deal if they are held to 3 points. The Rams D, if I am recalling correctly, was very good in the redzone this year.
The other is those teams Os. Its just not about scoring 45 points or the QBs being great it is about being able to control the game and the flow of the game. When Hill replaced Davis I posted it gave the Rams a much better chance to win....not because Hill was the second coming of Montana but because he would allow the team to keep possession more. A team with a very good D does not need 45 points a game to win. They need their O to help control field position and to pick up first downs. The D was lights out vs. Denver, but, some of those drives that saw the Rams O convert a couple of third downs and hold the balls for 4 minutes + even though they did not score were key as well.
With the Rams D and special teams the team is not far away. But the O has to pull its weight. They don't need to score like a top 5 offense but they do need to be disciplined and consistent in what they do.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
And the ones the other team commits and were not called for... particularly holding on Quinn...

Our OL does the same thing. Like I've said before the refs don't have the angle we have from the cameras but if you watch you'll see OLmen all over the league doing the same thing. Right at the chest/collar area.

The new unis are partially the cause too. They are really tightly wrapped around the pads so when someone is holding a jersey it isn't as obvious as it used to be when you could see the fabric being pulled which would make a ref look closer.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Our OL does the same thing. Like I've said before the refs don't have the angle we have from the cameras but if you watch you'll see OLmen all over the league doing the same thing. Right at the chest/collar area.

The new unis are partially the cause too. They are really tightly wrapped around the pads so when someone is holding a jersey it isn't as obvious as it used to be when you could see the fabric being pulled which would make a ref look closer.
I personally don't think our OL gets away with it as much as opposing OL's do... but we already know we're not going to agree on this.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I personally don't think our OL gets away with it as much as opposing OL's do... but we already know we're not going to agree on this.

I think every OL is getting away with it, and will continue to until they put another ref in the backfield and it gets called enough that it will stop. Right now it's pretty easy to get away with because of how the ref lines up and the unis. The technique is simple, put your body against the defender and grab the front of the jersey to help control him.

It's not hard to get away with it.......

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
The apparent lack of practice, preparation and poise is extremely frustrating. What we see on the field is inconsistency and way too many penalties. Also, this team seems to get disheartened at times and either shuts down or tries to beat someone up. The plan demonstrates a stubbornness (how many times are we gonna run Tavon up the gut?) and has an inability to make any adjustments particularly at the half...I know I seem a little off track here but I think the plan, the attitude, the undisciplined play and the penalties are all related to leadership.

Last edited:

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Shaun Hill + Austin Davis - Bradford + 16 games = don't church it up. We know what the problem was.

MrMotes

Starter
Seattle is the most penalized team in the NFL for two years running now. And the year before it was SB champs Baltimore who was the most penalized (by yards).

There are lots of factors when it comes to winning football games. I don't think penalties is one of them...

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Our problem isn't that we were a player away.

Better think again, that is exactly what we were. And next year we won't have the steep learning curve like we did this year, but its the same story if we don't make some big changes. When Bradford goes down, it's over. That's the trend and Fisher knows it.