Penalties + undisciplined = no playoffs?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ram007

Starter
Does anyone know of big play (20+ yards) stats of all NFL teams either given up or made? I would like to see that chart just for comparison. Thanks in advance if you can help me here.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Does anyone know of big play (20+ yards) stats of all NFL teams either given up or made? I would like to see that chart just for comparison. Thanks in advance if you can help me here.
I think I know where you're going with this... ;)

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
@mr.stlouis

You just cannot convince me (and I’m pretty sure you) that this team is so devoid of talent to have the record we ended up with. The Sam situation makes the point at hand here harder to make but I'll try to address. Early in the year Davis was pretty good actually and it was the defense that didn’t show up for the first quarter of the season. By the time they showed the coaching staff had fixed Davis to the point that he cratered. Hill was ok early also but yea his accuracy was not good. Sam probably would have been the difference in the late Davis/Hill eras. But that isn’t really the point I was getting at. It was the falling out of the gate on your face. It was the inflexibility. It was the predictability, the inconsistency, the penalties and the lackadaisical attitude that really bothered me. As Ram fans we unfortunately live in the off-season thinking that we’re just one guy away. I don’t feel our problem is talent. It’s that our talented players are not properly prepared.

Last edited:

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
@mr.stlouis

You just cannot convince me (and I’m pretty sure you) that this team is so devoid of talent to have the record we ended up with. The Sam situation makes the point at hand here harder to make but I'll try to address. Early in the year Davis was pretty good actually and it was the defense that didn’t show up for the first quarter of the season. By the time they showed the coaching staff had fixed Davis to the point that he cratered. Hill was ok early also but yea his accuracy was not good. Sam probably would have been the difference in the late Davis/Hill eras. But that isn’t really the point I was getting at. It was the falling out of the gate on your face. It was the inflexibility. It was the predictability, the inconsistency, the penalties and the lackadaisical attitude that really bothered me. As Ram fans we unfortunately live in the off-season thinking that we’re just one guy away. I don’t feel our problem is talent. It’s that our talented players are not properly prepared.

You on a point I have wondered about....

Was it the best move to bring in coaches known to have very complicated systems when you also have the "youngest" team in the NFL. It seems like a bad mix to me. It is one thing to geta few guys up to speed in an established system that is complicated (the vets help teach the rookies), but when so many are soooo new isn't just making it that much tougher?

Is this why it seems like for many of our young guys we are waiting till year 3 to so what they have?

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I'm pretty sure that the shecocks led the league in penalties last year... when they won the Super Bowl.

Some of the unnecessary roughness penalties we earn actually make me smile. I should point out that I'm just a hair above caveman in evolution though. The thing about the roughing shots that I see our guys delivering... they have a positive purpose at times. Don't think for a minute that other team's players don't have their heads on a swivel when playing us. That can lead to dropped passes, hurried/bad throws, missed assignments, and I could go on. I don't mind setting a tone of "Oh crap these guys are tougher than we are!". Sometimes the 15 yard penalty is worth every yard.

Caveman OUT
Completely agree 'Caveman!' People need to deal with the realities of Defensive Football, If the don't like, as the man says...
exaVP3j.jpg

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Better yet...look at the least penalized teams. Jacksonville, New Orleans, Miami, Carolina...seems like an erroneous stat.

V3

Hall of Fame
It's not the penalties we commit, it's the ones we didn't commit but were called for! That and the blown assignments! Probably a dozen plays made the difference in a winning record and a losing record!

Most teams in the NFL could say the same thing. It happens to just about everyone. Just go read their forums or listen to their local sports radio. The officiating in the NFL has gotten really bad but they don't pick on teams because they don't like them.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Most teams in the NFL could say the same thing. It happens to just about everyone. Just go read their forums or listen to their local sports radio. The officiating in the NFL has gotten really bad but they don't pick on teams because they don't like them.

This is my take too. I don't think the Rams get "picked on".

By biggest beef with the officials is when they call a penalty at a significant game-changing moment and the penalty is not obvious.

If it's NOT OBVIOUS dont throw a flag!

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I had a post referencing some of this stuff a couple weeks ago. I'm not as concerned about the penalties. It's the turnover differential and more specifically the points scored from our offensive turnovers that have absolutely killed games for us. Fisher referenced this stuff in his exit presser too.

Rams were something like 5th worst this season, in the same company as teams like Oakland, NYJ, Washington and Tampa.
http://www.ramsondemand.com/threads...-the-answer-because.30576/page-10#post-479530