Part of me is excited about moving on from Jackson

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Don't get me wrong, please. Jax is (was) one of my favorite Rams of all time. I love the way he runs, and it actually reminds me a little of Earl Campbell. Just truckin' dudes and carrying others for 4 or 5 yards is a freaking spectacle. It's awesome to watch and it gets you amped up. Dude's a straight up BEAST.

But.

I'm also kinda tired of this team having nobody who can explode when they have the ball and haul ass for 80 yards past linebackers and safeties on his way for a score. And I think Fisher is too. He didn't draft Chris Johnson because he was a tough SOB, and he didn't draft Richardson, Pead and Givens because they were physical specimens. It's glaringly apparent, at least to me, that he wants speed on this team - and lots of it.

Well, I do too. If that means a changing of the guard, then it is what it is. I'll always have a place in my heart for Jackson. He's a hell of a player, person, and mentor. But keeping him on this team because of how special he is in short yardage situations, and how cool he is to be around in the locker room, isn't going to help us score more TDs. We need to get some uber fast dudes out in space and let them do their thing. I like the idea of Pead and Richardson being a dual threat. Meaning, the threat of taking the ball from 1 or 2 yards out and scampering for 60-70 yards.

Speed kills, bruddas. Time to go on a murdering spree.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
It makes sense on both sides. It's sad and pisses me off that we couldn't have been a better team when he was here. He's getting to that point though. The Rams must invest in the future, and he has to be conscious of how short his is. I just hope to god he finds a good spot, and preferably in the AFC.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Username said:
It makes sense on both sides. It's sad and pisses me off that we couldn't have been a better team when he was here. He's getting to that point though. The Rams must invest in the future, and he has to be conscious of how short his is. I just hope to god he finds a good spot, and preferably in the AFC.
Definitely. I'd like to see him pair up with Peyton Manning in Denver. That would be awesome to see.

Jax means the world to me, man. This team would be UNWATCHABLE if he wasn't on it from 2007-2011. With everything crashing down around him, he kept stiff-arming and running over fools for a thousand yards again and again and again. I pray he doesn't take the Roman Phifer route. Dude played with the Rams since he was drafted (7 years), and then ended up on the Jets the year we won a SB. That had to suck for him.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Pead and Richardson better have started their pass blocking practice yesterday btw. Show them some film of Marshall to teach them how a smaller guy can get things done.

Young Ram

Hall of Fame
I love me some speed, but what happens if Pead/Richardson get hurt? Their threat of taking it the distance will be gone. Can they suck it up and run between the tackles for some tough yardage?

Sure, SJ got dinged up here and there but he played through those injuries. He didn't need speed. He was a warrior. One who was willing to get those tough yards. It is my displeasure to see him go. We had a good thing with Jack and Rich. Don't like this move at all.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Young Ram said:
I love me some speed, but what happens if Pead/Richardson get hurt? Their threat of taking it the distance will be gone. Can they suck it up and run between the tackles for some tough yardage?

Sure, SJ got dinged up here and there but he played through those injuries. He didn't need speed. He was a warrior. One who was willing to get those tough yards. It is my displeasure to see him go. We had a good thing with Jack and Rich. Don't like this move at all.
I dunno. I think you run that risk of injury with whoever you have at RB. It's the nature of the position, really. I think Pead and Richardson can both run between the tackles, and I've seen them do it. The key here, obviously, will be to put together a line that opens holes and doesn't make the RB rely on making his own. Jackson was the best at that, no doubt about it.

I'm not a fan of the move either. I'm not necessarily ready to move on from the heart and soul of this team for the past several years. *PART* of me is excited about the possibilities, but most of me is lamenting this decision by Jackson to wear another uniform.

F. Mulder

Starter
X said:
Don't get me wrong, please. Jax is (was) one of my favorite Rams of all time. I love the way he runs, and it actually reminds me a little of Earl Campbell. Just truckin' dudes and carrying others for 4 or 5 yards is a freaking spectacle. It's awesome to watch and it gets you amped up. Dude's a straight up BEAST.

But.

I'm also kinda tired of this team having nobody who can explode when they have the ball and haul ass for 80 yards past linebackers and safeties on his way for a score. And I think Fisher is too. He didn't draft Chris Johnson because he was a tough SOB, and he didn't draft Richardson, Pead and Givens because they were physical specimens. It's glaringly apparent, at least to me, that he wants speed on this team - and lots of it.

Well, I do too. If that means a changing of the guard, then it is what it is. I'll always have a place in my heart for Jackson. He's a hell of a player, person, and mentor. But keeping him on this team because of how special he is in short yardage situations, and how cool he is to be around in the locker room, isn't going to help us score more TDs. We need to get some uber fast dudes out in space and let them do their thing. I like the idea of Pead and Richardson being a dual threat. Meaning, the threat of taking the ball from 1 or 2 yards out and scampering for 60-70 yards.

Excellent Post X-it completely sums up my feelings as well. There ARE a lot of questions about how the RB committee approach will work and how well it will do but I think in addition to Gannaway they will add at least one more RB either low-cost FA or draft.

I personally think some us of might be pleasantly surprised at how well they do without Jackson and how the Offense becomes more diversified. Just my .02

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
X said:

But.

Nice post, X. I'm ready for a new era too, but Jackson's consistency, toughness, so many other things, will be missed.

I was a big fan of drafting Pead, and Richardson won my admiration for driving like a truck in a Mini Cooper frame. You can certainly add Jenkins to your list of speed guys, along with Dunbar at linebacker. Our team speed was glaringly better than recent year, and we are still overhauling it. Speed is why I like Cooper over Warmack.

A question going forward would now seem to be, do we draft another back to compliment Pead and Richardson? Is Ganaway an NFL player? There are some decent guys in FA, but not very many big backs in the draft. The Arkansas kid(Knile Davis) might be a good guy to take a chance on in the later rounds. He has tons of talent, but some ???'s as well.

Young Ram

Hall of Fame
X said:
Young Ram said:

I dunno. I think you run that risk of injury with whoever you have at RB. It's the nature of the position, really. I think Pead and Richardson can both run between the tackles, and I've seen them do it. The key here, obviously, will be to put together a line that opens holes and doesn't make the RB rely on making his own. Jackson was the best at that, no doubt about it.

I'm not a fan of the move either. I'm not necessarily ready to move on from the heart and soul of this team for the past several years. *PART* of me is excited about the possibilities, but most of me is lamenting this decision by Jackson to wear another uniform.

I understand your excitement. We have 2 young, fast, explosive players in Pead and Richardson. Who wouldn't get excited about that? I won't lie, I got emotionally attached to SJ. All the crap he had to put up with yet he showed everyone how to man the F up and play ball. There was no quit in him.

This is a business, I know, but this organization owes him for his suffering. This move would be easier if he wasn't productive anymore. I still think he has at least a year or 2 left to be that bell cow. The Rams should have offered him at least that much.

bluecoconuts

Legend
DR RAM said:
X said:

But.

Nice post, X. I'm ready for a new era too, but Jackson's consistency, toughness, so many other things, will be missed.

I was a big fan of drafting Pead, and Richardson won my admiration for driving like a truck in a Mini Cooper frame. You can certainly add Jenkins to your list of speed guys, along with Dunbar at linebacker. Our team speed was glaringly better than recent year, and we are still overhauling it. Speed is why I like Cooper over Warmack.

A question going forward would now seem to be, do we draft another back to compliment Pead and Richardson? Is Ganaway an NFL player? There are some decent guys in FA, but not very many big backs in the draft. The Arkansas kid(Knile Davis) might be a good guy to take a chance on in the later rounds. He has tons of talent, but some ???'s as well.

Sounds like drafting a fast and shifty big play ability receiver capable of making big plays from multiple positions would be something that he's looking for.... Now who would fit that description? Hmmmmmm.....

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
Superb topic, thoughts and tribute to the Humble Predator. I always envisioned when Fisher was hired part of it had to do with SJax still at 'prime' capability ala Eddie George. However if it is inevitable I get it..the game has evolved so ridiculous just in the last few seasons. I just don't ever want to see the SJ39 breed ever die in the NFL. Trent Richardson, AD AP, Gore,... AP has a very good opportunity I just don't see anyone ever reflecting close to a Steven Jackson BAMF BEAST.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Young Ram said:
X said:
Young Ram said:

I understand your excitement. We have 2 young, fast, explosive players in Pead and Richardson. Who wouldn't get excited about that? I won't lie, I got emotionally attached to SJ. All the crap he had to put up with yet he showed everyone how to man the F up and play ball. There was no quit in him.

This is a business, I know, but this organization owes him for his suffering. This move would be easier if he wasn't productive anymore. I still think he has at least a year or 2 left to be that bell cow. The Rams should have offered him at least that much.
I can dig it man. I think we all have the same level of respect for Jax and what he's meant to this team over the years. And that respect is way the hell up there. I just don't think he viewed himself as a victim. I think he actually relished being the most recognizable and easily identified player on this team, and I think he loved being the 'teacher' for all the young guys coming up through the ranks. And we all know he loved being the work horse.

It was tough to watch defenses stack up to stop him, and it was kinda unfair that we never really pieced together an offense that would take the pressure off of him, but I don't think he regrets it all that much. In all honesty, I think he loved every minute of it. Who wouldn't be proud of being the only weapon on an offense, and still being highly productive? I think his only regret would be that for all his efforts, the team never really achieved anything. It's a shame he's gonna miss it, but he's gotta seize the opportunity to get deep into the playoffs while he still has the ability to do so.

There are no bad guys here, IMO. And I don't think we 'owe' him anything.

Just my take.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm happy we're moving on. It's best for both sides.

Young Ram

Hall of Fame
X said:
Young Ram said:
X said:
Young Ram said:

I can dig it man. I think we all have the same level of respect for Jax and what he's meant to this team over the years. And that respect is way the hell up there. I just don't think he viewed himself as a victim. I think he actually relished being the most recognizable and easily identified player on this team, and I think he loved being the 'teacher' for all the young guys coming up through the ranks. And we all know he loved being the work horse.

It was tough to watch defenses stack up to stop him, and it was kinda unfair that we never really pieced together an offense that would take the pressure off of him, but I don't think he regrets it all that much. In all honesty, I think he loved every minute of it. Who wouldn't be proud of being the only weapon on an offense, and still being highly productive? I think his only regret would be that for all his efforts, the team never really achieved anything. It's a shame he's gonna miss it, but he's gotta seize the opportunity to get deep into the playoffs while he still has the ability to do so.

Just my take.

Yea I guess you're right.

Just please don't play against us SJ so I won't have to root against you lol.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
X said:
Young Ram said:
X said:
Young Ram said:

Just my take.
:plus1:

Lesson

Oh, really?
Change can be good.

Ideally, I wouldn't want change with Jackson to happen in a situation like this(I'd want it to be him walking out on top with the Lombardi in his hand wearing a Rams uniform), however, I do feel that Snead and Fisher have prepared the running game for when Jackson departs.

As others have said, Richardson performed very well. Pead's issue wasn't that he is a bad runner, it was just that he was too anxious at first. In the Seattle game, it seemed that he was much calm and relaxed, leading to better results.

It's going to be interesting to see how running back will be addressed if Jackson leaves. I wouldn't have an issue with the current group being trotted out there but I also wouldn't have an issue with a RB being brought in via the draft who has a larger build-similar to that of Jackson and Ganaway-but probably a little more polished than Ganaway at this point.

jap

Legend
Lesson said:
Change can be good.

Ideally, I wouldn't want change with Jackson to happen in a situation like this(I'd want it to be him walking out on top with the Lombardi in his hand wearing a Rams uniform), however, I do feel that Snead and Fisher have prepared the running game for when Jackson departs.

As others have said, Richardson performed very well. Pead's issue wasn't that he is a bad runner, it was just that he was too anxious at first. In the Seattle game, it seemed that he was much calm and relaxed, leading to better results.

It's going to be interesting to see how running back will be addressed if Jackson leaves. I wouldn't have an issue with the current group being trotted out there but I also wouldn't have an issue with a RB being brought in via the draft who has a larger build-similar to that of Jackson and Ganaway-but probably a little more polished than Ganaway at this point.

Could you be thinking of . . . Marcus Lattimore? :ww:

moklerman

Warner-phile
X said:

But.

Two words: Arian Foster.

I don't think there's any good way to rationalize phasing SJ off of this team. Fisher just wants to go in a different direction and that's that.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
X said:

But.

Nice and honest post as usual, I wouldn't be surprised if we see Ganaway getting used more as a battering ram on 3rd. I agree that Fisher has a vision, and that vision starts with speed, on O and D.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
I will miss SJ when/if he leaves. But the biggest statement that he will be making if he leaves is that he does not think the Rams are close to being a contender.

I may be wrong but I don't think Im the only person that thinks the Rams have a good shot at contending for the NFCW title. I would like to think that the coaching staff and the players, except for SJ apparently, believe they can contend for the division title.

So is it a ring, is it money, or is that he isn't willing to share the spotlight?

I believe the Rams owe SJ a ring, just wish he didn't feel that the current roster isn't ready to help him get it.

I wish him the best and would like to see him get a ring.