Parameters in place for Kaepernick trade

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TK42-RAM

... still not at my post.
He is what Chip wants. The problem is Kaepernick wants nothing to do with York or Baalke after the last two years of them running the team. I get a lot of Whiner news on the radio around here so they talk about it all day.

... think I'd rather listen to Elton John.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
Its the paying him 12-14 mill that teams don't like.
The point missed here is that with Foles, his cap number is pretty minimal, and can be kept around as a back up who can be released next season at no cost.
Kaepernick on the other hand would be traded for to be the starter, and will carry a heavy salary (commensurate to starter pay) Sure you could walk on the deal but if you're trading for him its for him to be your starter. And as starter you're stuck with a heavy number

Im confused as to what we are talking about anymore. Your initial post was that Foles' and Kaepernick's had different cap implications because Foles' contract was voidable after this season while Kaepernick still had 30m+ in guaranteed money. But as I said that isnt the case as Kaepernick's deal is pay as you go, and can be voided after any year as long as hes not injured come April 1st. The only difference between the 2 deals is Kaep's is worth more money and has more years (all of which are team options). If you trade for either of them its because you think they can be your starter, not to be a backup, and if you think they can be your starter its because you think they can be successful in this league. If you're correct and they do prove to be a successful starter youd rather have Kaep than Foles because youd be forced to pay Foles a new contract which could end up being more than Kaep. Not to mention it could have been a fluke year and now you guaranteed money to a guy you wont keep much longer, where as for Kaep if its a fluke year you can just move on with no penalty the next year.

Simply put, their deals are very similar with the only differences being Kaep getting more money and having a longer deal. Neither of them would be paid their current salary if they'd prove they cant be a good starter , but if they show you they can be a good starter you'd still have kaep locked up at a relatively cheap price while having to give Foles a new deal

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Im confused as to what we are talking about anymore. Your initial post was that Foles' and Kaepernick's had different cap implications because Foles' contract was voidable after this season while Kaepernick still had 30m+ in guaranteed money
Its confusing because it seems to me (could be wrong) but you're more concerned about arguing than actually discussing. Foles/Kaepernick is as apples to oranges as it gets. Other than they both play QB (and that itself seemed a stretch last year)
First, a team would trade for a Foles to get a cheap veteran back up, that costs nothing after a year.
As I said initially, Foles is a sunk cost, to the Rams. The team that picks him up is only responsible for the base salary which is less than 2 mill (Chump change for a vet backup). The Rams already have taken the cap hit for the rest. As for Kaep? The team that will trade for him will be investing in him as a starter, and his 12 mill contract for 2016 is guaranteed and the trading team has to pay it. Then there's next year, where he'll have 14 mill salary. Yeah I get your point that the trading team can release him prior to Apr 1, but you're not trading for a guy to be your starter with the idea that he's gonna stink. Theyre trading for him to be a legit starter and what they'll have to do with that contract later.
Totally apples to oranges. 12-26 mill for a starter vs 1.75 to be a vet back up

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-to-pay-kaepernick-14-million-over-two-years/

Broncos want to pay Kaepernick $14 million . . . over two years
Posted by Mike Florio on April 6, 2016

49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick is due to make $11.9 million in fully-guaranteed base salary this season. The Broncos want to pay him $14 million. Over the next two.

Mindi Bach of CSNBayArea.com reports that the Broncos have offered Kaepernick a deal that would pay him $7 million in 2016 and another $7 million in 2017.

It’s unclear whether the Denver offer would include a path to free agency after 2017. Still, with his $400,000 workout bonus and $2 million in per-game roster bonuses, Kaepernick could make $14.3 million this year, more than the Broncos are willing to pay over the next two.

Currently, Kaepernick’s contract pays a base salary of $14.5 million in 2017, another $400,000 workout bonus, and another $2 million in per-game roster bonuses. The salary increases by $2 million if he takes 80 percent of the snaps in 2016 and if: (1) the 49ers make it to the Super Bowl; or (2) Kaepernick is named a first-team or second-team All-Pro.

As a result, he’d be swapping out a maximum of $33.2 million over the next two years, with $11.9 million of it fully guaranteed, for $14 million over the next two years — and with the 2017 compensation from Denver possibly not guaranteed.

While a trade is still possible, the Broncos may have to transform the offer into a one-year deal, allowing Kaepernick to become a free agent next March. If the Broncos, the 49ers, and Kaepernick simply can’t work out a revised contract, the question becomes whether the 49ers will simply cut him loose and pay the difference between what he makes elsewhere this year and the fully-guaranteed $11.9 million.

In the interim, Kaepernick is participating in the offseason program. As he and the coaching staff get to know each other, maybe they’ll decide to try to make it work in 2016. Or maybe their interactions will make a divorce even more inevitable.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-to-pay-kaepernick-14-million-over-two-years/

Broncos want to pay Kaepernick $14 million . . . over two years
Posted by Mike Florio on April 6, 2016

49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick is due to make $11.9 million in fully-guaranteed base salary this season. The Broncos want to pay him $14 million. Over the next two.

Mindi Bach of CSNBayArea.com reports that the Broncos have offered Kaepernick a deal that would pay him $7 million in 2016 and another $7 million in 2017.

It’s unclear whether the Denver offer would include a path to free agency after 2017. Still, with his $400,000 workout bonus and $2 million in per-game roster bonuses, Kaepernick could make $14.3 million this year, more than the Broncos are willing to pay over the next two.

Currently, Kaepernick’s contract pays a base salary of $14.5 million in 2017, another $400,000 workout bonus, and another $2 million in per-game roster bonuses. The salary increases by $2 million if he takes 80 percent of the snaps in 2016 and if: (1) the 49ers make it to the Super Bowl; or (2) Kaepernick is named a first-team or second-team All-Pro.

As a result, he’d be swapping out a maximum of $33.2 million over the next two years, with $11.9 million of it fully guaranteed, for $14 million over the next two years — and with the 2017 compensation from Denver possibly not guaranteed.

While a trade is still possible, the Broncos may have to transform the offer into a one-year deal, allowing Kaepernick to become a free agent next March. If the Broncos, the 49ers, and Kaepernick simply can’t work out a revised contract, the question becomes whether the 49ers will simply cut him loose and pay the difference between what he makes elsewhere this year and the fully-guaranteed $11.9 million.

In the interim, Kaepernick is participating in the offseason program. As he and the coaching staff get to know each other, maybe they’ll decide to try to make it work in 2016. Or maybe their interactions will make a divorce even more inevitable.

What am I missing here? I thought the Broncos only have about $2 Mil in cap space? How are they even talking this trade????????

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

the krapper should be insulted by that offer. he should tell them see ya later and ride out his deal with the whiners.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Gotta side with Sackorpick on this one. No way would I leave almost $5M on the table if I didn't have to.
Even if he's already made $30M on the deal, it's still a lot of money to walk away from just because someone asked you to.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Gotta side with Sackorpick on this one. No way would I leave almost $5M on the table if I didn't have to.
Even if he's already made $30M on the deal, it's still a lot of money to walk away from just because someone asked you to.

I'm on his side because I want him to remain the 49ers starter.

Wait........nevermind.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler

Well hes the one that wanted to be traded. So if thats the only way he gets traded he would have to leave $5m on the table if he truly wants out. If I were him Id try and get the broncos to come down to like 2-2.5m pay cut. Taking less would suck but being on a super bowl contender is the best place to be, especially for a future deal which hes likely playing for wherever he ends up

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
If you ever become GM of the Rams I will constantly remind you that you are Canadian and only do it doggy style so you can both watch the hockey game on TV.

You should also remind him its called doggy style because he has to sit up and beg for it. :mrburnsevil:

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...s-colin-kaepernick-could-be-traded-this-week/

49ers G.M. says Colin Kaepernick could be traded this week
Posted by Michael David Smith on April 27, 2016

0612-colin-kaepernick-getty-4-e1459692046445.jpg
Getty Images

Although trade talks surrounding 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick have cooled off recently, they may heat up again soon.

According to Adam Schefter, 49ers General Manager Trent Baalke told Bob Holtzman of ESPN that it’s possible Kaepernick could be traded this week.

Of course, it’s “possible” that anyone could be traded. We haven’t seen the exact words Baalke used in his interview with Holtzman; we’ve only seen Schefter’s tweet about it. So we’re not sure just how likely Baalke sees such a trade as being.

Still, it’s a reminder that the 49ers are at least open to trading Kaepernick, despite saying at the beginning of the offseason that they were committed to keeping him on the roster and letting him compete with Blaine Gabbert for the starting job.

There’s no word yet on which team would be most interested in Kaepernick’s services. The Broncos have long been linked to a possible Kaepernick trade, but as weeks have gone by and no deal has been done, that trade has appeared less likely. Perhaps the Broncos will step up their offer for Kaepernick, or perhaps some other quarterback-needy team will step in.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Broncos still the team IMO. And the whiners take Lynch at 7 and sit him a couple years with Kelly getting fired before we ever see Lynch play and the next coach drafts his own QB.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I think the Broncos are wasting their time trying to fill the QB hole with Kaep. He requires a simplistic read type offense to do the job, and barring them changing their offense to suit his skills it's a trade doomed to failure.

IF I were Elway I would take Doughty round 2 and then Hogan round 3. I am very certain that Doughty ends up being a good starter in this league and I don't care if everyone thinks I'm nuts. Hogan is insurance on being wrong there, and he also can play soon with his knowledge of pro schemes. Both those guys together give you better insurance on the QB position than a raw and scheme dependent QB like Kaep. IMO.

Oh and btw I think a lot of people are overlooking what Manning did last year for them in the big games. He dished it quick and managed the offense very well to ensure low turnovers and field position support for that great defense. The impact of his retirement is going to be greater than many think in my estimation.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think the 49ers are blinking with Bradford possibly on the market now. I suspect a slight reworking of CKs contract, with a bonus being paid by the 49ers, maybe money being pushed into future years, and the 49ers getting a first. Otherwise the Broncos could get Sammy or the other CK, Keenum.