Packers/Rodgers Headed for Divorce?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
so in 18' was the last time they played and he threw 0 int, the game basically ended without him getting a chance to make a game winning/tying drive as Ty Montgomery fumbled the ball back to the Rams on a return in the last few minutes.

before that you have to go back to 15' for another Packers/Rams game he played in...he did throw 2 that game....so you have felt that way since 15....
Actually since he left Cal....Maybe since he left HS....This is a non-Ram, and I am not an Aaron Rodger's apologist, so keep going in proving me wrong if that trips your trigger. I don't care.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The whole thing is just so silly. The Packers got rid of McCarthy to please Rodgers, (at least it seemed that way) then LaFleur runs an offense that doesnt exactly play to AR strengths and they make NFC Champ. Now LaFleur runs the show?
Unless he gets hurt, (which is always possible with him) 12 is going to have another huge year next year and good luck selling that fan base that its time to turn the page.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
Actually since he left Cal....Maybe since he left HS....This is a non-Ram, and I am not an Aaron Rodger's apologist, so keep going in proving me wrong if that trips your trigger. I don't care.

since you keep responding you clearly care...but going to let it drop, just use the "googles" next time you try to be edgy

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
When you have--as a leader of whatever level--a person working for you who is very skilled but a bit of a douche as well, you have two real options:

1. Allow him to continue undermining the people he's working for.

2. Check his ass. And in my experience this tends to be the required route it's just a matter of when you reach it.

The Packers have been doing option one for a while now. So yeah it's pretty obvious with the first round pick spent on QB that they plan to check his ass here pretty soon. A coach can't check a player like him however until they have someone else who can play. So the main problem here is they can't sit Rodgers now because the kid won't be ready as he's a guy who needs a lot of work reading coverages.

But back to checking someone that's something that can be handled many different ways... You can let him step on his dick in a meeting or this case during a game and crush him publicly, which tends to be an option you go when you're fed up or if you have a short fuse. You can put him under someone who has the clout to manage him (and the Packers don't have that guy in place). Or you can just enforce the fucking rules wrt him and let him go apeshit or whatever then use whatever tools are at your disposal to handle the situation, which is the "give him the rope then hang him with it" approach.

Another way is to put him in a position where you know he'll fail, but if he doesn't it will still benefit you. I've done this a couple times, generally it's not a great idea but when things align properly to where you can do that what you get is a win either way.

Example of this with Rodgers? LET HIM CALL THE PLAYS. It will be impossible for a passive-aggressive piece of shit leader like him to make excuses when he's the one who called the play. If he fucks it up it will erode his BS and you take it away from him and tell him to shut the fuck up. If he kicks ass doing it you win a ton of games and give the guy the credit he deserves. Also, even if you still think he's a prick and don't want him in the locker room, his value in trade will be at its highest.

So I don't know the ins and outs of the Packers' locker room and all that. But if I was the head coach I'd sit him down and go over the rule set with him. He gets the play calling duties, but execution of those duties would come with him being a better leader on the field. I'd give him a four game window and we re-evaluate thereafter.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
since you keep responding you clearly care...but going to let it drop, just use the "googles" next time you try to be edgy
Do we really need this back and forth? Let it rest without needing to get in the last word. Problem? PM me.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Matt LaFleur adds fuel

Packers coach Matt LaFleur is pushing back against the idea that Green Bay was looking for a replacement for Aaron Rodgers in the draft.

LaFleur said that the Packers just ended up with Love because he was the best player left on their draft board after some other players were selected, and not because they were specifically ready to move on from Rodgers.

“It was just one of those situations where there were a couple guys targeted that had just previously been picked and Jordan was the next guy on the board, and so we went with the best player at the time,” LaFleur said on ESPN Radio in Wisconsin.

But that explanation flies in the face of the fact that the Packers traded up in the first round to draft Love. It’s one thing to see a player fall in your lap and draft him, but it’s something else to trade up to draft a player. That suggests not only that the Packers wanted Love specifically, but that they wanted him badly enough that they didn’t want to wait and risk some other team drafting him before their pick came up.

Rodgers remains the Packers’ starting quarterback for now, and LaFleur wants to keep him happy. But the reality is, the Packers wouldn’t have traded up for Love if they expected Rodgers to play out the remaining four years on his contract.

Debacled

Starter
This is the kind of big brain move that costs GMs and HCs their jobs. You're coming off being 1 game away from the super bowl and you decide to go after one of the positions that had a positive outlook and do nothing to address the biggest issues you had that ended your last season?

LaFluer and their GM could be looking for new jobs before (or if) their wise idea ever gets the chance to take the field.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Honestly, I get why the Packers did this. A-Aron has been injured a lot, he's thirty-five, and he's not going to last forever. Love was easily the fourth best quarterback out of all of them, and his potential is sky-high, so I can see why they did this pick.

Now the Eagles Jalen Hurts pick, I'll never understand. For one, Hurts absolutely sucks as a QB. For another, Wentz isn't that old, and he's got a ton of talent. Made no sense, and Eagles fans should be pissed that they passed up an opportunity to improve their O-line or receiving corps for a fucking running quarterback who doesn't have the passing talent as the running QB they already have.

Last edited:

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is the kind of big brain move that costs GMs and HCs their jobs. You're coming off being 1 game away from the super bowl and you decide to go after one of the positions that had a positive outlook and do nothing to address the biggest issues you had that ended your last season?

LaFluer and their GM could be looking for new jobs before (or if) their wise idea ever gets the chance to take the field.

it makes all the sense in the world. they want to turn into a running team and they don't want a qb who will push back against it. relying on rodger's arm has got the team nowhere for the last decade. rodgers is as good as gone after this season. love will have a year to acclimate to the nfl and they drafted dillon to either become the main guy next season or be part of a deadly rb combo with jones.

they're doing things the right way so there will be a seamless transition.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Well Packers drafted Rogers basically the same way. The value is there, & GB could trade Love for more value.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame

Personally I would have fired the GM immediately. The next day.

This is at least the stupidest draft move since Trubisky, and arguably much worse because the Pack are contenders.

Some strategic breakdowns are just unacceptable. A failure to go for a championship in the NFL when you have the chance is one of them. The Packers have diminished, and more likely thrown way, their chance to win a title any time soon by not maximizing Rogers' window to do so. They have also created an untenable situation where either Rogers most likely will not play out his contract or Love will languish on the bench while he does. And Love is going to need a lot o playing time just to be an efficient NFL qb, let alone a championship contender.

If LaFleur is being honest-- which admittedly seems questionable-- it is a good illustration of the folly of taking the imaginary BPA without any actual strategy about how the player fits your existing situation. Specifically, with your all time elite qb with the 4 year $125m contract who just took you to the NFC championship, and might be able to run the table with an actual elite receiver or rb, either of whom they could have picked instead.

With no single owner in charge it might take a couple of years but they will all be fired, and rightly so. Eventually management is answerable to the fans, who appear to be infuriated.

For what it's worth, I would also have fired Mike Martz the next day for running out the clock to take a field goal to tie and send the game into overtime against Carolina in the NFC championship. Same issue: strategic failure to go for it to win an NFL championship.

Thankfully this is not the Rams' approach! Whether or not all the moves they have made under McVay were the best, there is no doubt that they are pulling out all the stops and moving with a sense of urgency to try to win a championship.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
If you think Love is the future, you draft him now in hopes that he can learn and grow for a couple years. This idea that every first round QB should be starting as a rookie is absurd. It's also absurd that when you have an aging QB - franchise or not - that you don't take the opportunity to draft a QB you think could be your next signal caller if he is still there at the end of the first. So what if AR gets pissy about it. So what if you don't start your first rounder for a year or two. You can't wait until your QB is needing a walker before you draft his successor.

Debacled

Starter
it makes all the sense in the world. they want to turn into a running team and they don't want a qb who will push back against it. relying on rodger's arm has got the team nowhere for the last decade. rodgers is as good as gone after this season. love will have a year to acclimate to the nfl and they drafted dillon to either become the main guy next season or be part of a deadly rb combo with jones.

they're doing things the right way so there will be a seamless transition.

They are playing with blowing up a team that was one game away from a super bowl birth. They are a team that has won their division 6 times in the past decade and made the playoffs in 8 of those 10 years. Taking a shot in the dark on a developmental qb (trading up mind you) and dropping the best player on that team is hardly sensible or smart.

None of their top 3 picks (top 4 if you count the 4th they ditched to get Love) are going to fix anything that went wrong for them against the 49ers and thats a big issue when they lost more than they added in FA.

Blows my mind when teams draft to fit scheme when they have premier players in those positions as is. Especially when they ignore glaring holes on the roster in the process. You especially don't draft the next guy to develop when you're that close to a championship.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They are playing with blowing up a team that was one game away from a super bowl birth. They are a team that has won their division 6 times in the past decade and made the playoffs in 8 of those 10 years. Taking a shot in the dark on a developmental qb (trading up mind you) and dropping the best player on that team is hardly sensible or smart.

None of their top 3 picks (top 4 if you count the 4th they ditched to get Love) are going to fix anything that went wrong for them against the 49ers and thats a big issue when they lost more than they added in FA.

Blows my mind when teams draft to fit scheme when they have premier players in those positions as is. Especially when they ignore glaring holes on the roster in the process. You especially don't draft the next guy to develop when you're that close to a championship.

they may as well have been 17 games away. that's how close they were to making the superbowl. that's the way it's been for them for the last decade. they had no chance. the best chance they had was back in 2014 when they were stepping on the seafucks throats at halftime and then mccarthy just wanted to sit on the lead and hold on for victory, the stupid fuck. since then they were just making up the numbers. relying on rodgers is not the gameplan to make it to the next level. time for them to go in a different direction.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
If you think Love is the future, you draft him now in hopes that he can learn and grow for a couple years. This idea that every first round QB should be starting as a rookie is absurd. It's also absurd that when you have an aging QB - franchise or not - that you don't take the opportunity to draft a QB you think could be your next signal caller if he is still there at the end of the first. So what if AR gets pissy about it. So what if you don't start your first rounder for a year or two. You can't wait until your QB is needing a walker before you draft his successor.

There are obviously multiple strategies to team building. I’m not sure yours holds up well anymore.

I mean, it makes total sense to develop the QB... except for time.

Let’s walk thru it... he sits a couple of years... all while a first rounder could be helping Rodgers (so it hurts 2020, 2021)...

Then... when you finally start to play him, now you realize he’s not the long term answer... You start again?

Management and coaching is not afforded that much time. And the salary cap doesn’t either.

You must move faster.

That’s why it’s a head scratcher for me too. Love doesn’t help Rodgers and the team in 2020. It sure looks like they are moving past Rodgers soon. It’s the only thing that makes sense to me.

oldnotdead

Legend
Look this is so dumb. Aaron is 36 years old. WTF dude the end of your career is insight just go all out and try to cover yourself in a blaze of glory and go out on top. Everyone is replaceable, as he replaced a legend right? He knew the team had structured in an out as of 2022 when he signed the contract. Now he's pissed because it's clear they want to exercise it?

LaFleur needs man up and tell Rodgers if he didn't like it why did he sign the contract? He will have made $33.5M on that contract if the team exercises their out option. Poor baby, tell that to all the people in this country out of work how unfair it is. LaFleur needs to man up or he will lose control of the team. Tell Aaron to shut up and play and that's the end of it. From that point on it's all on Rodgers. If Rodgers wants to ruin his legacy that's on him. Right now LaFleur looks like he hasn't got any.....cojones.

If a team wants this headache fine trade him. Newton would sign as a two-year bridge QB in a heartbeat. Besides as someone who has seen love play, I have never seen him as a franchise QB. The kid clearly lacks field vision required of a franchise level QB. This was a horrendous reach. The bottom line is I have no idea why Rodgers has his shorts all twisted over this kid. He probably won't ever seriously challenge him in the 4 more years left on his contract. If the team is foolish enough to cut him loose in two years then Aaron should take the money and laugh all the way to the bank. If they release him in 2022 they will still owe him $11M!! This is all pure ego on the part of Rodgers.

That is why this is so dumb. Rodgers is acting like a stupid child and the Packers are acting like the freaking Browns reaching for a QB who isn't even a 1st round talent.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
The bottom line is I have no idea why Rodgers has his shorts all twisted over this kid. He probably won't ever seriously challenge him in the 4 more years left on his contract.

This also supports why Rodgers could be “upset”.

He still wants to play. He’s clearly still the starting QB. From his perspective, the Love first rounder does nothing to help him get one more ring.

oldnotdead

Legend
Dude, Rodgers still is basically guaranteed 2 more years by contract structure. If he's worried that those last 2 years will cost him a SB that's stupid pure and simple. If he can win a SB in the next two years it guarantees him the remaining years on his contract as no team will discard him. If they do he simply does a Payton Manning and goes elsewhere to win a SB. Geeez nothing but ego. He's upset that a raw rookie might at some time take over? Well damn, Aaron you man up dude and play lights out for 4 more years.....if you can do it. Or maybe he simply expected to glide through it all doing just enough. He doesn't want to play....he just wants to keep getting paid. If he can't outplay Love for 4 more years he doesn't deserve to be the starter. Geez, a future HOF QB scared to compete with a raw rookie.

Make no mistake I don't like GB. But I see what they are doing. Maybe they were trying to light a fire under their QB's ass to compete to keep his job because bottom line that's all it really always is in the NFL. Fact is I used to like Rodgers but I've seen him change especially the last 3-4 years. All Rodgers has to do is deserve the millions they are paying him. He claims he's worth it then prove it.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
There are obviously multiple strategies to team building. I’m not sure yours holds up well anymore.

I mean, it makes total sense to develop the QB... except for time.

Let’s walk thru it... he sits a couple of years... all while a first rounder could be helping Rodgers (so it hurts 2020, 2021)...

Then... when you finally start to play him, now you realize he’s not the long term answer... You start again?

Management and coaching is not afforded that much time. And the salary cap doesn’t either.

You must move faster.

That’s why it’s a head scratcher for me too. Love doesn’t help Rodgers and the team in 2020. It sure looks like they are moving past Rodgers soon. It’s the only thing that makes sense to me.
I get it but when is the best time to draft a QB? When you have one or when you don't? What if you whiff and you don't have anything but a couple that couldn't normally start in the NFL?

While it seems to be common practice to start 1st round QBs, Love is barely a 1st rounder. It's not like he went in the top 5. It almost defines flyer. You have a late first and there's a QB you like but aren't really sure he is franchise material. Most of the NFL shares your skepticism as franchise QBs rarely fall that far. So you pull the trigger and hope you have two or three years of rookie QB contract before you have to bite the bullet. Or he doesn't pan out and you still have a franchise QB under contract. If they had made a huge move to go up and get him, I'd totally agree. But moving up 4 spots to stay at the bottom of the round, seems like a pretty good risk/reward ratio if the kid works and you have to let him learn for a couple years when you can opt out of your aging QBs contract with no penalty.

It is after all pretty much what they did with Favre/Rodgers. Granted it was 15 years ago but.... We are talking about the Packers after all and their finances are different than every other team.